BIRMINGHAM CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 12 september 2010 : 16.00 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:52 pm

Why punish yourself to watch it a second time ?!
Benny The Noon

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Ciggy wrote:The problem is people are comparing these performances on par with Rafa's bad days at the office, what happens when this is as good as it gets under Hodgson?

I'd like to think things will get better Lynds. I don't believe that todays' performance is as good as it gets under Hodgson, it's gonna be a real short reign if it is! Don't forget we put in some pretty inept performances under Rafa in that first season in the league.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:53 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Ciggy wrote:The problem is people are comparing these performances on par with Rafa's bad days at the office, what happens when this is as good as it gets under Hodgson?

It will get better - we have too good a squad for it not too -

I hope your right mate.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Why punish yourself to watch it a second time ?!

I'm hoping I was imagining we were as bad as that  :D
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:59 pm

Scottbot wrote:

I'd like to think things will get better Lynds. I don't believe that todays' performance is as good as it gets under Hodgson, it's gonna be a real short reign if it is! Don't forget we put in some pretty inept performances under Rafa in that first season in the league.

Hodgson has experience in the prem - he should know what to expect from the teams we are facing - think at the moment he is trying to follow a little bit of the way he played at Fulham - 11 men behind the ball trying to sneak a goal with lots of long balls - it was never going to work against Birmingham and he should know that-
Benny The Noon

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:01 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Hodgson has experience in the prem - he should know what to expect from the teams we are facing - think at the moment he is trying to follow a little bit of the way he played at Fulham - 11 men behind the ball trying to sneak a goal with lots of long balls - it was never going to work against Birmingham and he should know that-

Funny, I though Brum were playing more like Wimbledon that we were today...
bunglemark2

Postby Ciggy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:05 pm

Robbie Savage said today  "when i used to line up against Liverpool, you feared them and expected to lose. I'm looking at that side today, and it wouldn't scare me, i'd be thinking we could win this, and Roy needs to understand he is not at Fulham anymore, Liverpool have expectations".
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:05 pm

They always play that way - destroy the midfield , look to get it out wide and put crosses in and it was only Pepe that stopped it working
Benny The Noon

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Hodgson has experience in the prem - he should know what to expect from the teams we are facing - think at the moment he is trying to follow a little bit of the way he played at Fulham - 11 men behind the ball trying to sneak a goal with lots of long balls - it was never going to work against Birmingham and he should know that-

It wasn't long ball football, it was simply poor football. You can afford to set up the way we did today IF you change a few of the players around e.g. Mereilles for Lucas and Babel for Maxi.

Also, Fulham weren't a long ball side. A few of you seem keen to insist they were but that's not how I saw them.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:13 pm

Whenever I saw Fulham Scott they hit a lot of balls long to Zamora for him to hold up and bring in players like Gera and Dempsey as well as playing it wide for him to put lots of crosses in for Zamora
Benny The Noon

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:18 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Whenever I saw Fulham Scott they hit a lot of balls long to Zamora for him to hold up and bring in players like Gera and Dempsey as well as playing it wide for him to put lots of crosses in for Zamora

Well if they were hitting balls in for him to hold it up then that means they must have been playing ball into feet which is completely different in my book. Long ball football means putting high balls into areas for players to head it or putting high balls into areas for players to run onto it. I didn't see much of that today or when I saw Fulham the past couple of years.
Last edited by Scottbot on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ethanr » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:22 pm

Gerrard wasn't involved enough. Our finishing touch or anything leading up to an opportunity was all off.  I have never seen Torres do absolutely nothing this bad.  He was the worst in my opinion.  I hate to say it because I love him, but what we need him to do, especially in games like these, he just wasn't there.  Wasted posession on a consistent basis. Wouldn't pass at times that he needed to.  Didn't make good enough runs to be hit with some space.  60th minute led me hoping Ngog would be subbed on for Torres.  And I think that Ngog sucks...

Our defense was horrible.  If we had any other keeper between the sticks today, we would have lost.  No question about that.  We have the best keeper in the world and he has been saving us for the last couple years.  Our marking was way off and led to them with 4 opportunities that should have been scored.

Horrible.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Benny The Noon » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:23 pm

Yeah understand what you mean - both are types of long ball -ie missing the midfield out and going straight to strikers . The way Lucas and Poulsen were today that might of been our best bet - maybe that's why Hodgson was looking at big strikers like Cole and Gomez ?
Benny The Noon

Postby Zidane » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:24 pm

Very dissapointed with the performance.  I kind of saw it coming as soon as I heard Poulson and Lucas were in midfield.  I don't get it, our managers need to face the facts and realize that Lucas + any defensive minded midfielder is counter productive and has failure written all over it.  I was happy with Kochesky and Meireles little run out though so that hopefully bodes well for the future.  I'm starting to dislike Jova, I think he lacks tactical awareness offensively at times and just goes on these little ineffective rampages with the ball.  He's a very up and down player throughout a match.  Reina MOTM easily.  Bottom line though, we have a lot of average players in the side right now and we need more quality.

On the positive side I want to point out that Birmingham at home is a VERY difficult fixture and we shouldn't underestimate how hard they are to beat.  Every time we had the ball in their final third they completely collapsed into the penalty area and blocked so many shots on goal it was ridiculous.
Zidane

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Zidane wrote: Every time we had the ball in their final third they completely collapsed into the penalty area and blocked so many shots on goal it was ridiculous.

....and ??
we had absolutely NO way to counter that....None !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games