BIRMINGHAM CITY VS LIVERPOOL - 12 september 2010 : 16.00 ko

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Ciggy » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Last edited by Ciggy on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:30 pm

Benny The Noon wrote:Yeah understand what you mean - both are types of long ball -ie missing the midfield out and going straight to strikers . The way Lucas and Poulsen were today that might of been our best bet - maybe that's why Hodgson was looking at big strikers like Cole and Gomez ?

I've got no problem with the ball into feet but that really isn't Torres' game and to be honest it's easier to play that way with two lads up front much the way Spurs have been using Crouch and Defoe to start the season. If we're playing with one up-front like today then we've got to be able to play it through the midfield but it won't happen unless the balance changes. We can only afford to play one wrecker (Lucas or Poulsen not both) and Babel (surely) or Pachecho needs a run in one of the wide positions. We need at least one player who can run with it in our midfield, today we had none.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:33 pm

Zidane wrote: I'm starting to dislike Jova, I think he lacks tactical awareness offensively at times and just goes on these little ineffective rampages with the ball.  He's a very up and down player throughout a match.

Seriously? He was our best attacking player out there today in my opinion. I know that's not saying much but he was the only one willing to try anything going forward.
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:41 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
Zidane wrote: Every time we had the ball in their final third they completely collapsed into the penalty area and blocked so many shots on goal it was ridiculous.

....and ??
we had absolutely NO way to counter that....None !

Plenty of teams have struggled to beat them there, last season only two did and neither were in the top 4.
Zidane

Postby Zidane » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:49 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Zidane wrote: I'm starting to dislike Jova, I think he lacks tactical awareness offensively at times and just goes on these little ineffective rampages with the ball.  He's a very up and down player throughout a match.

Seriously? He was our best attacking player out there today in my opinion. I know that's not saying much but he was the only one willing to try anything going forward.

At times he looked good then other times he didn't seem to be aware of where people were on the pitch and just tried to run past everyone when he had other options.
Zidane

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:39 am

Zidane wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

At times he looked good then other times he didn't seem to be aware of where people were on the pitch and just tried to run past everyone when he had other options.

Yeah, that's my frustration with him as well.  On the plus side, he's willing to take players on and has enough tricks to cause problems.  On the negative side, it seems like he tries to do too much on his own at times and doesn't see the better options around him.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Number 9 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:19 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

Yeah, that's my frustration with him as well.  On the plus side, he's willing to take players on and has enough tricks to cause problems.  On the negative side, it seems like he tries to do too much on his own at times and doesn't see the better options around him.

No one moves into room/space...static Pool
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:48 am

Totally lacking in ideas and cutting edge. Poulsen with Lucas is a mistake as they are virtually identical in their styles. Konchesky was solid but unspectacular, Johnson was shocking and looked like he was ill. Torres looks thoroughly p*ssed off with life at Liverpool and no-one seems to know what the f*ck they are doing. Had Reina not once again proved himself to be the best 'keeper in the World, Birmingham would have been out of sight by half time.

The last few matches (second half of the Arsenal match aside) have been truly abysmal and I can't remember us ever being this clueless in everything we do. The odd game here and there, but never for such a sustained period. Roy needs to sort this rubbish out sharpish. No more 11 men behind the ball b*llocks and no more man-to-man marking (if Brum's sh*t corner-takers managed to actually beat the first man, Reina would have been even busier). Get some tactics involved, get some patterns of play drilled-in and stop playing like a f*cking bottom-half side.
We need to get our chins up and start battering teams again. Get the possession and the number of attempts up and the results will come. We can't keep registering half the shots of the opposition and expect to come away with 3 points.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:53 am

Number 9 wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:
Zidane wrote:
Scottbot wrote:

No one moves into room/space...static Pool

It's a good point, Bazza. In every game, the player with the ball has either had to pass backwards or go on a run out of position as no-one shows for it. Remember Alonso? Always moving into space - always giving people an easy option to get them out of trouble.

No-one seems to want the ball in this current side. Not even Gerrard is making himself available anywhere near as often as he did before. Kuyt is the only other one who shows for it, and even he has a habit of letting the opposition get between him and the ball.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:39 am

These kinda performances are not good enough. Wasn't good enough under rafa, isn't good enough under Roy. So I wish certain posters on here don't make it out to be pro and anti thing. I don't understand why Meireles didn't play. As usual playing with 2 dm's who doesn't have good passing range, gerrard and Torres were stranded in front. Jovanovic and maxi had terrible games but at least jovanovic was trying.

I do think when almost the whole team looks like they're lost, the buck has to stop with the manager.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby akumaface » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:37 am

We had problem everywhere except GK. Our marking in our own end was horrible. We left so many open headers for Birmingham. Poulsen just doesn't cut it. He is too slow as well as being pushed around a bit. I mean he can't even warrant a start in a slower italian league, how is he able to do anything here...It was obvious another mistake. I'm sure if we put Carra as DM, he can do a better job for sure. ANyway, very disappointed with the Team and Roy but will give it couple more games given that Joe Cole will be back. Hope things will change but please no more maxi, Lucas and Pulsen. Give Babel or Pacheco a go as they can't do any worse as I think there will be a significant improvement for sure. Roy would be stupid to employ the same set of players or system since we had proven that with last season including this one that the current one is not working....
akumaface
LFC Super Member

Postby Keris » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:18 am

My train of thoughts.

1st Half
- Where is the penetration play?
- No positivity.
- Why aren't we taking players on.
- Thank god for Riena, guess the man marking thing needs time eh?

Half Time.
- Roy will steady the ship.
- Don't loose away from anfield. Don't loose, just don't loose.
- Roy needs time to get the right personnel & system.
- 3 more years before I could pass judgment on Roy anyway....

2nd Half
- Pure Bliss, everything is gonna be alright  :D
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby loopyliverpool » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:28 am

I have to admit I was hoping for more of Roy and his tactics. We seemed to be set up to not lose the game rather than win it. Two holding midfielders is just a no no! Get Gerrard in there end of story. I personally feel as Cole was banned he should have at least given Babel a go. Maxi doesn't look like any sort of player to me. I would like to see Johnson play as a right midfielder and bring in Darby as right back. Finally, Agger has to start ahead of either of the other two centre backs, he brings more to the team in an attacking sense.
loopyliverpool

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:40 am

I think I've worked it out, this disparity between how some of us think we played.

We've actually been playing like that a lot for a long time. We've had two defensive midfielders cancelling each other out, zero creativity, Gerrard and Torres isolated for a long long time. The difference is, for quite a long time many posters on here flatly refused to see it. They were in the deny the sky is blue period, and it didn't matter how many times the subject came up, they denied it. Benny was saying yesterday that "nobody would deny Lucas has been rubbish this season", but he has been playing exactly the same for a long time.

It's almost like all of a suddent the blinkers have come off, the blinds have been lifted, and now people are going "feck me we are playing sh!t". We are, we have been for a long time, and that's why we lost nineteen matches last season and finished seventh. That's why we've got a new manager.

You don't go from that, to free flowing football in five minutes. Chill out, we played like we usually do, get used to it, enjoy the point we got and walk on. Roy will improve things.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jacdaniel » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 am

We've actually been playing like that a lot for a long time. We've had two defensive midfielders cancelling each other out, zero creativity, Gerrard and Torres isolated for a long long time.

No, it was just last season.  Alonso wasn't a DM.  He was a great passer, could defend and made some very intelligent movement.  He made such a difference to the team and we havent coped without him.

Hopefully Meirles can help in that department.  Next week there won't be any excuses.  We'll have a full strength squad to choose from and it has to be better.

So far, the team just doesn't appear to have a game plan.  Based on what ive seen thus far, we're actually a fair bit worse than last year.  Hopefully a win against the Mancs can kickstart our season.
"When you walk, through a storm, hold your head up high"
jacdaniel
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games