Udinese vs Liverpool – Thursday 6th December – k/o: 6.00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:53 pm

Holy Moley!!   :Oo:
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Fook me how sloppy can you get with seconds to go, job done but we made hard work of a game we should have won at a canter
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Raoul » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:56 pm

Job done, and aside from the last second, we did a pretty good job of protecting the lead (against a team who to be honest didn't try that hard to win).
"Life is not just about money. There are other things, important things that have a different kind of value. Anyone from Liverpool could tell you that."

- Jamie Carragher
Raoul
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Job done, but we really do have a problem with keeping a cool head at times and we get really sloppy when teams start turning the screw.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedHands » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 pm

Good win. We should have won that one by a lot more than 1-0. Thank god Di Natale didn't score on that last one.

I thought Downing was really, really good today. Put in two or three superb crosses and wasn't afraid to take people on.

Henderson had a good game as well. He got a goal and helped out the defense often.

Defense was very solid up until the last minute.

We have got to work on hitting the target with shots. Suso could have had a few and Suarez should have had two.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:59 pm

classic european away performance for me. henderson, carragher and skrtel outstanding.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Even at 34 Di Natale still looks a good striker
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:13 pm

Agree with what you boys are have said above.

Henderson had a great game, if he toughens up and builds his confidence, he can be a player, I'm sure of it. He has goals in him as well. Downing played well also. Shelvey really was poor and Suso was so slow to get his shot away - he got a perfect ball from Downing at one stage and took ages to get the shot away. Suarez looked class, even though he was playing within himself. Skrtel is a fine defender, his timing in the tackle is perfect.

We deserved to qualify and we've just won away from home.

Congratulations to Brendan for getting the balance right. He's doing well.

Onwards and upwards.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thinkpad » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Well it is a win.. But still I have decided to write something that has been bothering me pertaining to Liverpool's performance and game play.
It seems there is some progress but the team is again inching towards a very similar old playing style.
That is to keep passing it backwards. It seems to have been ingrained into the players.
No need to think a pass to the back of the players so they have to turn around and predictably pass it backwards.
All this while the team is going forward and attacking. All the momentum built is lost.
Liverpool doesn't seem to be able to counterattack with such game play.
The players are mostly static. The midfielders haven't got a clue how to pass to running team mates.
I can see many opportunity to make a incisive pass to a running team mates to cut the defense but it was never done.
Are the team told not to take any chances? Or the coaches have no idea how to train or teach the players what they are supposed to do?
Maybe the manager should have a talk to the team he brought over from Swansea.
Swansea isn't scoring bucket loads of goal with the same coaching staff so maybe the problem lies there?
Today, like some other matches, the passing is messy and sometimes down right lazy.
Could it be they are still not familiar with each other? Or the players are lacking in the technical aspect?
J Shelvey should never be allowed to take another corner.
Who take such lazy back-spinning floating corners anymore? Might as well just tell the referee Liverpool is forgoing their corner kicks.
All the players seem to have problem with dribbling and keeping the ball by their feet when pressure or tackled.
I have seen most Spanish team (which we are trying to emulate) players able to control the ball so well under pressure or tackled.
How is Liverpool going to play the same style of football if the players can't accomplish such important basic task.

The whole team still need a whole lot of work. BR should really come down hard on anyone who is not doing their job or just not up to standard.
Thinkpad

Postby 7_Kewell » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:17 pm

Bar the last 90 seconds, it was a good match. Henderson looked good and i thought suso was also impressive.

It's another win and another step towards the transfer window. We need to sign some players
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:33 pm

Thinkpad » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 pm wrote:Well it is a win.. But still I have decided to write something that has been bothering me pertaining to Liverpool's performance and game play.
It seems there is some progress but the team is again inching towards a very similar old playing style.
That is to keep passing it backwards. It seems to have been ingrained into the players.
No need to think a pass to the back of the players so they have to turn around and predictably pass it backwards.
All this while the team is going forward and attacking. All the momentum built is lost.
Liverpool doesn't seem to be able to counterattack with such game play.
The players are mostly static. The midfielders haven't got a clue how to pass to running team mates.
I can see many opportunity to make a incisive pass to a running team mates to cut the defense but it was never done.
Are the team told not to take any chances? Or the coaches have no idea how to train or teach the players what they are supposed to do?
Maybe the manager should have a talk to the team he brought over from Swansea.
Swansea isn't scoring bucket loads of goal with the same coaching staff so maybe the problem lies there?
Today, like some other matches, the passing is messy and sometimes down right lazy.
Could it be they are still not familiar with each other? Or the players are lacking in the technical aspect?
J Shelvey should never be allowed to take another corner.
Who take such lazy back-spinning floating corners anymore? Might as well just tell the referee Liverpool is forgoing their corner kicks.
All the players seem to have problem with dribbling and keeping the ball by their feet when pressure or tackled.
I have seen most Spanish team (which we are trying to emulate) players able to control the ball so well under pressure or tackled.
How is Liverpool going to play the same style of football if the players can't accomplish such important basic task.

The whole team still need a whole lot of work. BR should really come down hard on anyone who is not doing their job or just not up to standard.

This is a great post. TBH your main point has been bothering me as well. I actually think we are improving slowly in this regard - its one of the reasons for our recent improvement. But I agree with you, our philosophy of possession football means our play in transition is slow. Instead of players surging forward when we win the ball back, there is a slow, considered build up, which allows the opposition to reform their two defensive lines of four. I think sometimes we should try to break at speed with fast one touch passing, we'll find much more space if we do, and I think we'll score more goals.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby fivecups » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:36 pm

Bizarrely Spurs have just done exactly what we are talking about. Fast, direct, counter-attacking football. Who played the through ball - Clint Dempsey!!
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JC_81 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:55 pm

Good win, good performance.  Udinese are no mugs and they were wanting to win that.  They're quality on the break with their one touch stuff as we found out at Anfield.

We played good possession football and could have had 3 or 4 goals, once again we didn't score the goals our performance deserved and that's my only gripe.  We defended really well.  Carra rolled back the years and Skrtel was a rock.  Henderson made some great runs, worked hard and deserved his goal.  I keep saying there is definitely a player in there and I stand by my prediction that he'll 'do a Lucas' and become a fan's favourite here in a few years.  His first touch needs a bit of work at times but he has some great attributes.

Looking at all the young players we have in the team it really made me think that if we could get Alonso back it would be a brilliant signing.  A bit of experience in the middle of the pitch and obviously a new striker and we'll look so much better.  I can dream!
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:15 pm

fivecups » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:36 pm wrote:Bizarrely Spurs have just done exactly what we are talking about. Fast, direct, counter-attacking football. Who played the through ball - Clint Dempsey!!

Sorry but why is that relevant?

Clint Dempsey is a striker who should be on the end of through balls, the fact he is having to play them says to me he was never the right player for us.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby killerp » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Jordan Henderson scores the winner??????  :Oo:  what are the odds on that one?........now if he can do that in the league his status may improve dramatically
killerp

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games