Summer signings - Who would you like to see? (within reaso

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Elchris » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:51 pm

I don't think Rafa will only get 40mp for summer spending...

He had personal meeting with the new owner and that convince him in staying at anfield and not going to madrid.

I think during the summer he can buy the player which he rates and wants !!! He's in control of the spending , surely this must have been agreed in the meeting.
Elchris

Postby Owzat » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:06 pm

If Rafa can sell off a few players he can generate funds, trouble is the most saleable assets are Cisse who we'll struggle to get half what we paid for and probably Crouch.

I would like to see Berbatov at Anfield, if we could get him for say £15m plus Cisse then that might work. I might even consider a £20m bid, he's a rarity indeed in being an espensive spudz player looking like exceptional value for money.

I heard that Villa is going to be way too expensive, I'm sure Torres said he's staying put and a number of others may be out of the reckoning. I'm not sure I'd want Tevez, I reckon a cheeky bid for Drogba if only to wind Mourinho and Chelsea fans up has to be first priority!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RichardLFC1 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Bring in Gareth Barry from villa and Matthew Taylor from Pompey. They wouldnt cost too much and are premiership proven. Matthew taylor hits some amazing shots and Gareth Barry is an excellent team player.

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby grayghost » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:32 pm

This is the team to win us the prem and the rest.

Reina
   Finnan                          agger              Carrager           Bale

Alves                        SG                   Masherano          Kewell/Vicente

Tevez
                                                    Eto
Should cost us about 50mil
grayghost

Postby Lando_Griffin » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:51 pm

grayghost wrote:This is the team to win us the prem and the rest.

Reina

Alves                        SG                   Masherano          Kewell/Vicente

Tevez
                                                    Eto

Are you p*ssed?

You'd drop Alonso in favour of Mascherano?

Dear oh dear. :no

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redmikey » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:29 pm

no point in putting up first teams as it is all about a strong squad

but barry and taylor have no chance of stepping up to lfc barry maybe 5 year ago and taylor is at his level

all the eto,villa,raul chat is the talk of the papers and usually b@llock imo

lets just wait till the summer to see what rafa fancies in the market
redmikey
LFC Super Member

Postby Ade » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:34 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:

Reina

Tevez
                                                    Eto

Are you p*ssed?

I would, providing we play two quality wingers. If not, play Masch behind SG and Xabi, with two quality wingers and one world-class striker.

Otherwise, Xabi and Masch to rotate, but in the long-term Masch will be the better player
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tommycockles » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:36 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:

Reina

Tevez
                                                    Eto

Are you p*ssed?

that wouldn't be a bad side, but having Mascherano as back up to Alonso sounds a lot better- that is the side that'll take us forwards.

I think Tevez and Eto'o will be a lot cheaper than Villa so should give us the chance of getting both of them- that way we can hopefully get a good winger with Alves obviously the top choice!! If we go for Villa i think we'll spend money that would stregthen us better if spread out. After all- Tevez and Eto'o are hardly bad comprimises!!
tommycockles
LFC Super Member

Postby jaytoothetee » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:29 pm

destro wrote:Whoever we buy its going to be a gamble Villa,Eto,Klose,Lahm,Alves,Joaquim,Simao,Aimar,Ribery,Ronaldhino !!!.... Even a current prem player is still not going to be a guaranteed match winner, see Pennant,Bellamy, the main difference hopefully this time will be more money available.

I think next season could be Rafas most important, some of his past buys have raised eyebrows but been sort of accepted because they were available for the sort of money he had to spend, no such excuse next season.

Owen a controversial choice with some if not most on here regardless of all the politcs,NEVER have sold him and have NEVER replaced him, so i would have him back, only problem being will he be the same player after his injury....time will tell ( 12million clause)

I like Lennon he is quick and very direct his final ball and his deciscion making is sometimes questionable and i dont know if that can be worked on or if we can afford the time for it to be, would spurs sell him though ?

Berbatov is another "look what you could of won" i like him a lot good in the air,quick and knows how to finish and bring in others but again i cant see spurs selling him ( maybe we could do a deal involving Cisse )

Tevez, already said in a previous thread he is impressing me more everytime i see him quicker than i thought he was , good fee kick taker and another unselfish player, Mascherano being at LFC could swing it in our favour, IF West Ham go down and IF we can arrange a reasonable fee

Nugent is a player i would like us to sign but again it comes down to fact he would have to hit the ground running  , we cant really afford to wait for him to find his feet, could he make the step up ?

Bale, same sort of situation as Nugent, although i think he is destined to go to M.U, where no doubt he will probably go on to be the best in the world ??? typical !!

Basically , who would want to be Rafa , he is going to bring in new faces thats for certain but he cant please all of the people all of the time. I think we are due a bit of "luck" in the transfer market and i hope we end up with a Ronaldo,RVN,Drogba,Robben ( not literally)

everyone's saying that bale is going to mu, but i doubt it. they have both evra and heinze who are left backs, and also silvestre. they would defo have to sell one of them if they wanted bale. also, and before anyone says anything, i know it's only a tenous link, but malcolm elias (part of the academy) knows bale well from his days as youth director at southampton. could tempt bale to anfield?

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:50 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:I was looking at Aaron Lennon the other night against Seville in fine detail to see how well he actually plays. To be honest I have seen his sparsely this season on MOTD, against us, and Football First and although he has been impressive in some games I don't feel he has shown enough to suggest his transfer value is anywhere near some of the figures being quoted. He's fast but I think he footballing skills are quite poor. I'd be willing to take a gamble on him of around 8m but would not look to be spending any more than that at present.  We should of snapped him up from Leeds for 1m when Spurs did.

On the subject of who we should buy, I don't really know at present. Wingers and a striker for me, but a lot can happen between now and the end of the season - IF  West Ham go down with Charlton, I would certainly take a look at Darren Bent, Tevez and surprisingly Matty Etherington.

Darren Bent and Etherington?

Etherington's a mid table premiership player at very best and Bent would look so out of his depth at Liverpool. The lads not a patch on Bellamy who's struggled at times.

Other than that I think we should sign Henry, Tevez, Ashton, Villa, Ronaldo, Vieira, Cannavaro, Ferdinand, Woodgate, Alves and Buffon...
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:51 pm

deejay-cgt wrote:should take a pick of the west ham team when they go down,

Tevez

Boa Morte

Etherington

maybe Benayoun

Then Charlton

D Bent

Andy Reid?? could be good back up

Watford

Marlon King??

Then also the barca clear out sell

eto,guily,deco and possible saviola

this is a wind up right? ???
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:52 pm

Reina

Tevez
                                                    Eto

How much of a muppet are you? :O
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:54 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
jkop wrote:Bale
Lennon
Owen.       :D

to be honest...i wouldn't be upset if rafa spent 30 million on them 3.

:laugh:
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby jaytoothetee » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:57 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:

Reina

Tevez
                                                    Eto

How much of a mong are you? :O

ever heard of being too honest, stu?  :laugh:

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby Stu.Murph » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Sabre wrote:What I mean, in a nutshell, is that we al like Eto'o, Villa, or Alves, but with 40M we cannot buy them all.

40mill doesn't really go that far if you want to buy the best but i still imagaine a couple of players will leave (perhaps Bellamy and Kewell + fingers crossed Cisse) so that will bring in a few dollars and lighten the wage bill a little.

Forward and a left-winger are the priorities for me and i'd be all for spending the whole budget on those 2 positions if need be.

David Villa - watched him play for Valencia (against Sevilla) tonight and he impressed me once again. A couple of goals and some excellent pieces of skills + i like his work-rate. I'm still a big fan of E'to and there's not much to choose between the 2 of them. You would be DELIGHTED to land either player.

Gamst Pedersen - Marcus said he'd like him at the club earlier in this thread and i agree. He's an excellent player who would only get better playing with the likes of Gerrard and Alonso. He's quick, a good crosser, can dribble, is pretty two-footed and his work-rate in defence (see the FA Cup semi today) is first rate for a player you would consider to be all about attacking. I'm not sure what the fee would be but i imagine he would cost around 10-12mill plus we could throw back Bellamy to sweeten the deal.

Gareth Barry - How the hell is this guy not in the England team? Excellent player who should be at a bigger club, i have often wondered why none of the big four clubs have had a look at him and can only assume it is because of a lack of pace. Left-Back probably isn't quite such a pressing need but he is a versatile player who can do a job at LB, LM, CM and RB and he wouldn't cost more than 6mill.

Why do you think we should sell Bellamy?

You then go on to suggest we should blow the budget on two positions, Scott, thats a massive risk mate and not one we're in a position to take just yet. What if we go and blow 35 million on Villa and Vicente for them both to get injured early in the season and miss large chunks of it?

We're left with what we had this season then which we know is nowhere near good enough.

I agree on Villa, but I think we're living in a dream world. The possibility of signings him or Etoo for me is a pipe dream.

As for Gamst Pedersen mate I can't agree at all on that one. I don't think he's quick enough, skillfull enough or intelligent enough to play for a top side. I think he's a good solid player who can score a goal and take a set peice. He works quite hard aswell and is reasonable in the air, but for me is not what I'd expect. No better than Riise for me at all.

Gareth Barry? :laugh: Been saying it for years mate. Its a case of the clueless idiots in this country. Excellent player alround, can play in a number of positions equally well and is excellent in just about every aspect of his game. Outstanding left and centre mid and left back very competent as a central defender aswell.

He's the only player for Aston Villa who has a clue what to do when Gerrard's anywhere near him. All the others panic and lose the ball or do something stupid, Barry just gets on with it as normal, the fact that for me he always looks at home playing against Steven Gerrard shows how good a player the lad is.

This summer I would say we need to release a few players. Gonzalez, Kuyt, Crouch, Zenden and Dudek. Obviously Fowler's going to leave. I'd possibly look at letting Carson and Bellamy go.

We need a centre half deperately, AT LEAST 2 strikers and a left winger. We must improve this summer as we clearly failed to do last and we have to make up the ground we lost.

Possible strikers, Ashton and Tevez, Defoe maybe? Not sure the names being thrown about are realistic at all.

On the left I couldn't name a winger. Barry's a good player, but no winger, more of a left sided midfield player. I really would struggle. Need someone who can beat a man, score a goal, carry a ball, cross, pass and has pace. :D

In defence I like Woodgate who'd be available at a good price, has everything. For me would be worth the gamble as he's a massive improvement on Agger and Hyypia. If it doesn't quite work out I'm sure you'd get some other team in for him at the end of the season and recover some money and that would then leave us with Agger and Hyypia as backup who have proven they are both more than useful.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion