Signings of the summer - Honest assessment please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 07, 2008 3:04 am

Thingy wrote:What do people think is the opposite? The worst signings by the top 4? Or the worst cos there wont be 20 odd. Voronin has to be up there. Malouda wasnt what I thought he could be either.

Pizarro for Chelsea is on that list for certain.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Thingy » Wed May 07, 2008 3:06 am

Santa Cruz would be up there on the best signings if he was in a top for club. 20 goals for a few million quid? Cant argue with that.
Thingy

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 07, 2008 3:11 am

bigmick wrote:Well Torres is obviously top of the list, and I honestly think that if any Manc, Chelsea or Arsenal fans were on here they'd accept that as well. He's top not just in achievement but even allowing for his price tag, value for money as well. What makes it incredibly frustrating that we never managed to get ourselves involved in the title race at any stage is that not only did we sign the best striker in the League, we signed the best holding midfielder as well. For that, Masherano takes the second place, and Rafa by virtue of the fact he signed them both deserves a big pat on the back.

I think Anderson is going to be a big player for Man Utd and as such will be value at what they paid, as such he comes in fourth. Third though for me is Nani who I think is going to be a real match-winning footballer given time and has done enough already to get third in my book. I have seen odd comparisons with his signing and that of Benayoun which is in my opinion anyway strange in the extreme.

Sagna look like he's just about the best right full-back in the league at the moment and typically for his manager, was an outstanding value purchase at 6 million. He gets fifth for me, but probably only because as yet Annelka hasn't really figured for Chelsea. Should Drogba do the expected and de-camp to wherever Mourinho is next season, Annela will look like an unbelieveably good buy at the price when he is near the top of the scoring charts next campaign.

Hi praise for Nani, mate.  I'll admit I've not seen him play all that much but when I have watched him he's struck me as a bit of a show pony.  Anderson looks like a real find for the Mancs, though.  Bugger.  :glare:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bigmick » Wed May 07, 2008 5:53 am

I wouldn't argue with the show pony bit either Bob to be honest, but mixed in with it are moments of real quality. His goal against us for instance was a fantastic finish, and one of the reasons why I find comparisons with Benayoun a bit like comparing Kuyt and Torres. Benayoun would probably have more chance of doing the back flip which Nani did afterwards (ie not very much really) than he would of scoring that goal. I have vague memories of a searing hit from distance earlier in the season as well in an important game, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was against. In actual fact he reminds me a little bit of Ronaldo in his first couple of seasons, though obviously I sincerely hope he doesn't turn out ot be as good as his fellow countryman.

Anderson is the more obvious (and in truth probably more sensible choice, but I do like to be different :D) and will undoubtedly make it over here. I've just a hunch that he may have some growing up to do and that it might be possible to get him sent off from time to time, but other than that he looks like a top player in the making.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Wed May 07, 2008 7:25 am

1.Torres
2.Santa Cruz
3.Sagna
4.Mascherano
5.Tevez
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Wed May 07, 2008 7:29 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Thingy wrote:What do people think is the opposite? The worst signings by the top 4? Or the worst cos there wont be 20 odd. Voronin has to be up there. Malouda wasnt what I thought he could be either.

Pizarro for Chelsea is on that list for certain.

I missed a couple, unfortunately it was late and I probably shouldn't have started this kind of thread so late. And my source had so many players not showing as transferred, Arsenal was certainly one team I didn't go back an check.

Eduardo and Pizarro have been added, any others I've missed then I'm happy to edit my original list.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed May 07, 2008 7:33 am

Thingy wrote:Santa Cruz would be up there on the best signings if he was in a top for club. 20 goals for a few million quid? Cant argue with that.

I hope we go for Santa Cruz, preferably both him and Bentley. Blackburn won't want to sell their prized assets, but if we were to offer say £25m then that is a lot of money and maybe Hughes can land himself another Santa Cruz (so we can pinch that one next season!)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby club_Levis » Wed May 07, 2008 8:44 am

Top 5

1. Torres
2. Nani
3.Sagna
4.Tevez
5.Eduardo
club_Levis

Postby LFC2007 » Wed May 07, 2008 10:02 am

1) Torres
2) Tevez
3) Mascherano
4) Santa Cruz
5) Anderson

Other notable mentions go to Nani, who is a quality addition for the Manc's albeit at a very high price and someone who we simply couldn't have signed - esp given the Queiroz connection, and Sagna.

Most ridiculous signing of the summer;

Branislav Ivanovic, a central defender who cost Chelsea the miserly fee of £10m (largest ever for a Russian player). He's done absolutely f*ck all and has hardly made the Chelsea bench.

A notable mention should also go to Voronin.
LFC2007

Postby andy_g » Wed May 07, 2008 10:13 am

i'm with the general consensus here that the top four would be torres, masch, nani and anderson. torres would have to go top of the list because of his performances and goals in a debut season, he has probably contributed most to his team over the season. trying to put bias aside though its hard to split anderson, nani and mascherano. i love mascher to bits and think he is one of our most important players but the potential that nani and anderson have as they grow into that team are frightening.

the 5th spot is a tricky one between the likes of anelka, babel, sagna and malouda. anelka is pure class in my opinion and should have stayed in a red shirt. babel will come good i am convinced. sagna is already excellent but his hair does my head in, and i think malouda has actually looked a good player.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 07, 2008 12:01 pm

andy_g wrote:sagna is already excellent but his hair does my head in

A little insight into Andy's rigorous evaluation process.  :laugh:
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby andy_g » Wed May 07, 2008 3:13 pm

:D

don't get me wrong, bob. i'm all for originality and not following the herd but even for me there's a limit.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Wed May 07, 2008 3:16 pm

andy_g wrote: :D

don't get me wrong, bob. i'm all for originality and not following the herd but even for me there's a limit.

you must have done your nut with Djibril Cisse!!!

:D
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Wed May 07, 2008 3:22 pm

bigmick wrote:I wouldn't argue with the show pony bit either Bob to be honest, but mixed in with it are moments of real quality. His goal against us for instance was a fantastic finish, and one of the reasons why I find comparisons with Benayoun a bit like comparing Kuyt and Torres. Benayoun would probably have more chance of doing the back flip which Nani did afterwards (ie not very much really) than he would of scoring that goal. I have vague memories of a searing hit from distance earlier in the season as well in an important game, but for the life of me I can't remember who it was against. In actual fact he reminds me a little bit of Ronaldo in his first couple of seasons, though obviously I sincerely hope he doesn't turn out ot be as good as his fellow countryman.

Anderson is the more obvious (and in truth probably more sensible choice, but I do like to be different :D) and will undoubtedly make it over here. I've just a hunch that he may have some growing up to do and that it might be possible to get him sent off from time to time, but other than that he looks like a top player in the making.

I agree, Mick, that his goal against us was quality.  I've not seen much else in the way of end product from him but, I confess, I can barely stomach watching the Mancs when they play us so I've hardly cleared my schedule to park it in front of the box whenever they're playing anyone else. :D  From what I have seen, he looks to have that whiff of magic that top players possess but it will remain to be seen if the application is there for him as well.  I shudder to think what will happen, though, if he follows his countryman and graduates from show pony to genuine star.  For now, I'd put him in that 2nd category of signings I mentioned above: possesses great potential but has not yet made a significant mark on the league in the manner that Torres or even Mascherano, Sagna or Tevez have.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed May 07, 2008 3:27 pm

Tevez.....for the ugliest, pikeyest, gimp signed this year....

(Still a great player though...)
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion