Signings of the summer - Honest assessment please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Tue May 06, 2008 9:38 pm

Of the signings made by the top four clubs, which do you think rank as the best? You can take into account the fee if you want, but basically I'd like to see who you think have been the standout signings out of all those signed by Liverpool, Chelsea, Man Utd and Arsenal. Top ten if you want, top twenty if you feel a top ten isn't enough (and you can find twenty!), top five if you don't want to do that many. Basically which transfers stand out, I guess we may well all put Torres top but who comes (close) second, third, fourth etc. Have we bossed the top ten of the top four or have the mancs grabbed the minor medals/placings as it were?

Season Signings (Top Four Clubs)*

Torres £21m (Liverpool)
Mascherano £17m (Liverpool)
Hargreaves £17m (Man Utd)
Nani £17m (Man Utd)
Anderson £17m (Man Utd)
Anelka £15m (Chelsea)
Malouda £13.5m (Chelsea)
Babel £11.5m (Liverpool)
Ivanovic £9m (Chelsea)
EDUARDO £7m (Arsenal)
Sagna £6m (Arsenal)
Skrtel £6m (Liverpool)
Benayoun £5m (Liverpool)
Lucas £5m (Liverpool)
Di Santo £3.4m (Chelsea)
Belletti ? (Chelsea)
Plessis ? (Liverpool)
Manucho ? (Man Utd)
Pizarro ? (Chelsea)
Voronin FREE (Liverpool)

*fees are not meant to be 100% gospel accurate, only as a guideline if you wish to take the fee into account. PLEASE do not quibble over what each player cost, I really don't care and I'm not spending time trying to find the exact fee even if it were possible to do so. TY

And add any I may have missed. It can't be often we've had two of the top few transfers of the lot, not with SWP, Shevchenko and others coming in at well above average and this being the first season we've spent more than £14m on a player
Last edited by Owzat on Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Tue May 06, 2008 9:48 pm

Top 5

1)Torres
2)Sagna
3)Mascherano
4)Anderson
5)Eduardo Da Silva
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Torres
Mascherano
Anderson
Eduardo (seemed to be a very good signing until his injury)
Sagna
Nani
Anelka
Skrtel
Babel

Maybe a slightly biased list, but I do believe our signings on the whole have been very good this year.
account deleted by request

Postby metalhead » Tue May 06, 2008 10:02 pm

s@int wrote:Torres
Mascherano
Anderson
Sagna
Nani
Anelka
Skrtel
Babel

Maybe a slightly biased list, but I do believe our signings on the whole have been very good this year.

Sagna has been brilliant this season mate, would put him instead of anderson.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 pm

metalhead wrote:
s@int wrote:Torres
Mascherano
Anderson
Sagna
Nani
Anelka
Skrtel
Babel

Sagna has been brilliant this season mate, would put him instead of anderson.

I will willingly drop Anderson down my list mate - I hate mancs.
I have only seen Anderson on a couple of occasions as I hate watching them, but on both occasions he impressed me.

I agree Sagna was a great buy.

Postby metalhead » Tue May 06, 2008 10:16 pm

You know what I forgot tevez

1. Torres
2. Sagna
3. Mascherano
4. Tevez
5. Eduardo
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue May 06, 2008 10:29 pm

I would probably put Tevez in third. Not done as well as Masch so far.

Postby Bad Bob » Tue May 06, 2008 10:32 pm

Torres has got to be the signing of the year in England, hands down.  After that, there have been a few very good buys: Tevez, Mascherano and Sagna are in that category for me.  Then, there are good buys that but with players who haven't quite hit the same heights or achieved the level of consistency as those mentioned above: Eduardo, Anelka (mostly because he seems to be on the bench a lot), Skrtel, Babel, Anderson, Nani, Hargreaves, Malouda, Lucas, Benayoun, etc.  At the bottom of the pile are the ??? transfers: Voronin, Pizarro and Belletti.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Rush Job » Wed May 07, 2008 12:34 am

Torres
Masch
Sagna
Eduardo
Skrtel
Nani ( had we signed this guy he would be 2nd/3rd, as it is the mancs have hardly needed him )
Tevez ( hasnt really built on that first impressive season and for 30ml you want to be impressed )
Anderson
Babel
Lucas
Dont judge a book by the cover, unless you cover just another, because blind exceptance is a sign,
Of stupid fools who stand in line......  Like..
Rush Job
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Wed May 07, 2008 12:39 am

1. Torres
2. Torres
3. Torres
4. Torres
5. Torres
6. Torres
7. Torres
8. Torres
9. Torres
10.Torres
11.Torres
12.Torres
13.Torres
14.Torres
15.Torres
16.Torres
17.Torres
18.Torres
19.Torres
20.Torres

:D
Thingy

Postby El Nino_#9 » Wed May 07, 2008 1:46 am

Torres
Masch
Sagna
Anderson
Belletti (i rate the lad highly)
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Wed May 07, 2008 2:21 am

Torres £21m (Liverpool)
Anderson £17m (Man Utd)
Mascherano £17m (Liverpool)
Malouda £13.5m (Chelsea)
Nani £17m (Man Utd)

The rest whilst excellent players havent had the impact of the above (in the games I have seen).
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Wed May 07, 2008 2:21 am

Well Torres is obviously top of the list, and I honestly think that if any Manc, Chelsea or Arsenal fans were on here they'd accept that as well. He's top not just in achievement but even allowing for his price tag, value for money as well. What makes it incredibly frustrating that we never managed to get ourselves involved in the title race at any stage is that not only did we sign the best striker in the League, we signed the best holding midfielder as well. For that, Masherano takes the second place, and Rafa by virtue of the fact he signed them both deserves a big pat on the back.

I think Anderson is going to be a big player for Man Utd and as such will be value at what they paid, as such he comes in fourth. Third though for me is Nani who I think is going to be a real match-winning footballer given time and has done enough already to get third in my book. I have seen odd comparisons with his signing and that of Benayoun which is in my opinion anyway strange in the extreme.

Sagna look like he's just about the best right full-back in the league at the moment and typically for his manager, was an outstanding value purchase at 6 million. He gets fifth for me, but probably only because as yet Annelka hasn't really figured for Chelsea. Should Drogba do the expected and de-camp to wherever Mourinho is next season, Annela will look like an unbelieveably good buy at the price when he is near the top of the scoring charts next campaign.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed May 07, 2008 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Wed May 07, 2008 2:30 am

bigmick wrote:Well Torres is obviously top of the list, and I honestly think that if any Manc, Chelsea or Arsenal fans were on here they'd accept that as well. He's top not just in achievement but even allowing for his price tag, value for money as well. What makes it incredibly frustrating that we never managed to get ourselves involved in the title race at any stage is that not only did we sign the best striker in the League, we signed the best holding midfielder as well. For that, Masherano takes the second place, and Rafa by virtue of the fact he signed them both deserves a big pat on the back.

I think Anderson is going to be a big player for Man Utd and as such will be value at what they paid, as such he comes in fourth. Third though for me is Nani who I think is going to be a real match-winning footballer given time and has done enough already to get third in my book. I have seen odd comparisons with his signing and that of Benayoun which is in my opinion anyway strange in the extreme.

Sagna look like he's just about the best right full-back in the league at the moment and typically for his manager, was an outstanding value purchase at 6 million. He gets fifth for me, but probably only because as yet Annelka hasn't really figured for Chelsea. Should Drogba do the expected and de-camp to wherever Mourinho is next season, Annela will look like an unbelieveably good buy at the price when he is near the top of the scoring charts next campaign.

Agreed........that would my list too with a slight change

1)Torres
2)Mascherano
3)Anderson
4)Nani
5)Sagna

I also think that nani and anderson would be major players for manure next season...
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Thingy » Wed May 07, 2008 2:55 am

What do people think is the opposite? The worst signings by the top 4? Or the worst cos there wont be 20 odd. Voronin has to be up there. Malouda wasnt what I thought he could be either.
Thingy

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion