Summer signings - Good/bad/suprising?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby redsince2001 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:26 pm

i want rafa 2 sign figo.....he can solve our rught side problem..atleast for a couple of years .
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:28 pm

Be patient, nothing "official" has been confirmed about Figo. Italian press are reporting that Inter is interested in him but thats just it.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:43 pm

A.B. wrote:Be patient, nothing "official" has been confirmed about Figo. Italian press are reporting that Inter is interested in him but thats just it.

apparently figo has actually stated that he has chosen to go to inter milan. he is just waiting for them to sort out a fee.
its looking very unlikely that we will get figo. but its not the end of the world, rafa said they are after other possibilities for the right winger position.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:47 pm

apparently figo has actually stated that he has chosen to go to inter milan. he is just waiting for them to sort out a fee.
its looking very unlikely that we will get figo. but its not the end of the world, rafa said they are after other possibilities for the right winger position.

Your source being? If it's anything from Italy or papers that have taken what the Italian papers have said then don't believe it.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:48 pm

A.B. wrote:

Your source being? If it's anything from Italy or papers that have taken what the Italian papers have said then don't believe it.

look on teletext on itv.
its the MAIN headline.
he is even quoted on saying this.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:50 pm

Itv got it from an Italian newspaper. Italian press had quotes of Sheva saying that he would leave AC Milan, but then it turns out that it had nothing to do about his future, it was about his surgery.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:52 pm

you have a point.
but surely, they cannot make up a quote from someone?
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:53 pm

They can twist it around, and thats nothing new in journalism. Players have been misquoted before and I wouldn't be surprised if this was another case of the papers trying to sell "good" stories.
Last edited by A.B. on Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:58 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this was another case of the papers trying to sell good stories.

good stories?  more like the usal bad ones  :D
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:01 pm

Forgot to put quotes around good. :p
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby fivecups » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:30 pm

Peter Crouch - he just doesn't look like a footballer. He's so tall and fragile looking - I wouldn't have bought him - but wtf do I know, hopefully I'll be completely wrong. Like others I think Figo would have served us nicely at RM for a season or two - we are currently lacking in that position.

I look forward to watching Sissoko most out of the new signings.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:38 pm

i believe that gonzalez will be the best out of our signings.
i am really looking forward to see how he plays for liverpool.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 65-1114725958 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:08 pm

passmeistro_#14 wrote:So far we have signed-
-Antonio Barragan (undisclosed)
-Peter Crouch (£7million)
-Mark Gonzalez (undisclosed)
-Jose Reina (£6million)
-Mohamed Sissoko (£5million)
-Boudewijn Zenden (free)

My Opinion, is generally....Not Good!

Antonio Barragan (undisclosed).......... Never heard of him, 18 Y/o and wont get much 1st team football for a while.
-
Peter Crouch (£7million).........Played half a good season in his whole career, singed from relagated team, extorted by southampton for 7m, could be good, more likely FLOP! like kewell. Everyone in the game knows Rafa bought him to head balls in from Zenden crosses, but he could be a plank on the deck under pressure! we are gonna sell baros and keep this guy???

Mark Gonzalez (undisclosed)- Never heard of him before in my entire life, Rafa thinks he's speedy Gonzales, but his recovery aint speedy!. on a 1 year loan, but cant play until half of that has expired!......YEAH!

Jose Reina (£6million).......Total waste of 6m IMO. Best keeper in spain? but will he be the best in EPL? if he makes a few blunders are we gonna want him out? Nothing wrong with Dudek whatsoever and what he did in the CL final warrants a stay and completely overshadows the odd blunder. No keeper is perfect and Dudek is generally very good, and a good shot stopper.

Mohamed Sissoko (£5million)........Young and 20, and has it all to prove. I suspect he will be a "cover"  player when stevie, Alonso and Didi are not in the team. Compared to patrick Viera, has a long way to go to fulfill that acclaim!

Boudewijn Zenden (free).........Only good signing by Rafa in my opinion. skillfull player and can play in a few positions

Overall...........I dont think with the existing aquitistions we are gonna be that much closer to the top of the EPL. Looks like the Figo deal is off, as not much seems to be happening.
My prediction is.......4th, 3rd at a hard push, and not less than 20 points away from the top.

Unless he signs some "top names" soon, which is not out of the question. Rafa knows we still need a right winger and centre half.

:rasp
65-1114725958

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Jul 22, 2005 10:43 pm

barragan- dont know much about this player. he is young and very good at attacking. could be 50/50 how he turns out.

crouch- personally i think his a good buy, although the price tag put me off. 7 million is a bit expensive for a player that has been on form for only one half of a season. however, you have to take into account that he had scored all of the goals with southampton. (not the best service that a striker could hope for!)

reina- time will tell whether he is a good signing or not. he looks quite solid after viewing him on a few occasions. his not afraid to take peoples heads off when punching the ball out. good at catching the ball, unlike dudek (who just flaps at it!). he is young aswell which is a bonus too!

gonzalez- undecided about him. if he plays the way he played for albacete then there is no doubt in my mind that he will be a success. for albacete, he was extremely skillful and fast with his dribblibg skills. a real exciting player! however, the epl is different to la liga so it will be interesting to see how he turns out.

zenden- good experienced winger. has proven his class for middlesbrough , now its time to see whether he can do the same for us. a very good buy for FREE!

sissoko- have'nt really seen him play. no nothing about him. he sounds like a player who isn't afraid of a hard tackle so there will be no problems for him if his up against keano, viera or savage!

OVERALL- good signings, time will tell. hopefully he'll bring in a couple of new faces (preferably a centre back and right winger).

"in rafa we trust" :D
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lionheart » Fri Jul 22, 2005 11:51 pm

Time is the factor in ALL this summer's signings. The history of a player can only reliably be used as a guide not a definitive gauge on whether a player will perform or not. New players (and a new club for them), new manager, new atmosphere and in many cases a completly new competition.

Time will tell gentlemen. Time will tell.

But we'd all LIKE to think they would do well wouldn't we??  :D

[url=http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img]http://www.ggarmy.com/files/PIMBSLQY1J/WorldCupHeroes1.jpg[/img[/url]
Lionheart
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion