Summer signings - Who would you like to see? (within reaso

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:03 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
Fowler_E7 wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:Any from: Sabrosa, Alaves, Quaresma, Huntelaar, and Saviola.

:no

Definately not. The only one of those I'd consider (Obviously apart from Alves who's unafordable) if it was about £5-6m is Simao, the others I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

to be fair saviloa is available for free in the summer and would be an improvment on Bellamy. But i dont think this summer we need to be adding squad players. We deffo need 2 players IMO, a left winger, a pacey goalscoring striker who can finish, these players must be of the highest quality, and possibly a centre back to add competition.

I think the some of the players people are suggesting are quite rediculous, just because we have new investment a lot of people beleive where gonna be spending Chelsea style, i cant see that ever happening.

I don't think he'd be an improvement on Bellamy at all mate. Bellamy's a good player and for me is easily as good as Dirk Kuyt.

Saviola didn't perform in France and I doubt he'd adapt to the systems over here.

I think missing out on Woodgate was another complete and utter failiure by Rafa, they keep building up and I'm starting to really lose patience with him and his record in the transfer market. With the exceptions of Luis Garcia, Alonso, Reina and Fowler I think he's wasted an awful lot of money on players that are absoloutely nowhere near good enough to improve us.

though his career hasnt really taken off since he joined Barcelona i think Saviola is still a far more talented player than Craig Bellamy, quick, skillfull, fairly smart and can finish. Out of the attributes i just listed, Bellamy only has pace, though he is clearly faster, he also has great work rate but thats not enough to playing for a club like Liverpool. Personally i dont rate him at all and i think he'll be back at a mid table team in the summer.

As for Benitezs transfer record i feel Benitez has signed fairly well, though there have been some real bad buys. To the players u listed i would also add Pennant, Aurelio, Mascherano and Agger as good signings who deffo have a future at this club. I personally would add that Morientes was also a quality singing at the time, but that didnt work out as planned. 

This summer though will determine how good he is in the transfer market though IMO, now that there are no excuses about lack of finance and i still trust Benitez to get the quality we need, but time will tell.
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:25 am

Stu.Murph wrote:I think missing out on Woodgate was another complete and utter failiure by Rafa, they keep building up and I'm starting to really lose patience with him and his record in the transfer market. With the exceptions of Luis Garcia, Alonso, Reina and Fowler I think he's wasted an awful lot of money on players that are absoloutely nowhere near good enough to improve us.

Erm, you say that in this thread, but here's what you had to say in your own Woodgate thread:

I still say he was worth the gamble.

I'm obviously not as set on this and I'm not as :censored: with Rafa as I was over the Ashton, Anelka and Kuyt incidents as with Woodgate I can understand the reasons for not taking the risk. Personally I would have.

The problem is though, who now? We NEED a first choice centre half badly. Agger is a good squad player and will be fantastic back up, but he's not good enough to play first team every week especially against the better sides.

So, which is it, mate--a huge mistake or a potential opportunity missed?  ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 am

I think missing out on Woodgate was another complete and utter failiure by Rafa, they keep building up and I'm starting to really lose patience with him and his record in the transfer market. With the exceptions of Luis Garcia, Alonso, Reina and Fowler I think he's wasted an awful lot of money on players that are absoloutely nowhere near good enough to improve us

You forget about Pennant, who also was signed by Rafa and it seems you like him.

Mascherano is another good signing. When you lose against an archenemy everything seems wrong, but he's a good signing.

We disagree over Agger. You might have a point in sigining a great centre back, but I think we'd do a terrible mistake if another club picked the fruits of our work with Agger.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:21 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:I think missing out on Woodgate was another complete and utter failiure by Rafa, they keep building up and I'm starting to really lose patience with him and his record in the transfer market. With the exceptions of Luis Garcia, Alonso, Reina and Fowler I think he's wasted an awful lot of money on players that are absoloutely nowhere near good enough to improve us.

Erm, you say that in this thread, but here's what you had to say in your own Woodgate thread:

I still say he was worth the gamble.

I'm obviously not as set on this and I'm not as :censored: with Rafa as I was over the Ashton, Anelka and Kuyt incidents as with Woodgate I can understand the reasons for not taking the risk. Personally I would have.

The problem is though, who now? We NEED a first choice centre half badly. Agger is a good squad player and will be fantastic back up, but he's not good enough to play first team every week especially against the better sides.

So, which is it, mate--a huge mistake or a potential opportunity missed?  ???

You cant! :D <<< (speaking like a southerner)

Its both.

I'm, extremely :censored: off we've missed out on yet another excellent english player with the attributes to improve just about any team in world football. But I understand his reasons for leaving him alone. As I've said though, I feel its a mistake and I feel having Woodgate would have allowed Agger the right number of games to keep him happy. We need another centre half to partner Carragher, anyone who says we don't is deluding themselves.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:25 pm

BTW, don't mention Saviola. Real Madrid just signed him up in an unexpected move.

He could have been useful and affordable, but not the famous "25 goals a season" wizard some people are asking.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 pm

Sabre wrote:
I think missing out on Woodgate was another complete and utter failiure by Rafa, they keep building up and I'm starting to really lose patience with him and his record in the transfer market. With the exceptions of Luis Garcia, Alonso, Reina and Fowler I think he's wasted an awful lot of money on players that are absoloutely nowhere near good enough to improve us

You forget about Pennant, who also was signed by Rafa and it seems you like him.

Mascherano is another good signing. When you lose against an archenemy everything seems wrong, but he's a good signing.

We disagree over Agger. You might have a point in sigining a great centre back, but I think we'd do a terrible mistake if another club picked the fruits of our work with Agger.

Firstly I'm not on about selling Agger at all. That would be foolish.

Secondly, as much as I like Pennant and believe he will come good, he hasn't improved the team consistently yet (due to lack of consistently being played) and he hasn't as yet justified his price tag although in time, I've always maintained he will.

Mascherano's played 6 games? Has alot more to do before he's considered in anything like that.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby stmichael » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:29 pm

was quite funny actually listening to the local football phone-in last night up here. it was hilarious because all the bitter geordies were phoning up claiming woodgate has "no ambition" for signing for a team like boro, despite the fact that it is his home town club. in many ways it's seen as the equivalent of shearer going to newcastle when he could quite easily have gone to manchester united.

i don't think it was that realistic anyway. when asked by the local media when he made his mind up to sign for boro woodgate said "three months ago if i'm honest". now whether that's true or not only woodgate knows but boro certainly have got a great deal for £7m.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Sabre » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Fair enough on the Mascherano note. But if 6 games are not enough to say a player is good, 6 games are not enough to discard a player. And many posters of this forum did that with Pennant, for instance. (Not you BTW)

As for Pennant mate, we didn't have a right winger yesteryear. If we're trying new formations now, it's because we have men like Pennant. More options against opposition, a specific rol in the right side of the pitch we didn't have last year, removing the NEED of using Gerrard in the right, that's improving the squad in my book.
SOS member #1499

Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:36 pm

Sabre wrote:Fair enough on the Mascherano note. But if 6 games are not enough to say a player is good, 6 games are not enough to discard a player. And many posters of this forum did that with Pennant, for instance. (Not you BTW)

As for Pennant mate, we didn't have a right winger yesteryear. If we're trying new formations now, it's because we have men like Pennant. More options against opposition, a specific rol in the right side of the pitch we didn't have last year, removing the NEED of using Gerrard in the right, that's improving the squad in my book.

No but we can clearly see Mascherano's a quality player.

The point of him being a good signing or not is a completely different story. Just because he's quality does it mean we needed him?
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby Elchris » Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:56 am

Guyz signing nicolas anelka could be a posibilty now for Sam Allardyce is reported leaving bolton , it think he can be a quality signing that the club needs to strength the upfront for quite a reasonble price
Elchris

Postby Effes » Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:40 am

GOAT wrote:
Effes wrote:
NansPanofScouse wrote:
weringo wrote:Yeah mate our chances of us getting Kaka are pretty slim when Real Madrid are rumoured to be offering Milan 70 mil for him.

70 million!

Well maybe if we sent a collection box round Anfield and offered Rafa's kidney, they might just budge. lmao

He cost Milan £9M methinks

Around 4mil i think..

SkySports say £6M
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 6:58 am

New summer signing ?

Well amongst others, and we're never likely to get him but Joe. Cole would be a fantastic signing for us.
66-1112520797

Postby Effes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:42 am

Edited
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:47 pm

With Allardyce resigning at Bolton, wouldn't that pave the way for us to get Anelka?
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:50 pm

Effes wrote:With Allardyce resigning at Bolton, wouldn't that pave the way for us to get Anelka?

don't think Rafa would go for him as i can't see Anelka being happy with a squad role in our team.
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion