Summer signings - Who would you like to see? (within reaso

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby SuperScouser » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:47 am

big daddy wrote:what we need is a player with tricks and flicks with serious speed.

gonzales was build as having blinding speed, i can't quite see this myself.

strangely bellamy had mad speed before he came to us, suddenly i see everybody keeping up with him .
pongole had mad speed when he 1st came to us, suddenly it went.

only cisse maintained is speed.

pongolle been doin class in spain to he got like 12 goals in la liga
SuperScouser

Postby tithead » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:51 am

SuperScoucer wrote:
big daddy wrote:what we need is a player with tricks and flicks with serious speed.

gonzales was build as having blinding speed, i can't quite see this myself.

strangely bellamy had mad speed before he came to us, suddenly i see everybody keeping up with him .
pongole had mad speed when he 1st came to us, suddenly it went.

only cisse maintained is speed.

pongolle been doin class in spain to he got like 12 goals in la liga

Morientes was class in Spain too...
tithead

Postby duk » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:00 pm

I don't think Torres would be any good for us (overated) and would probably be another waste of money, i believe this to be true about Villa too. I don't like eto and don't think he is the kind of player we should be looking to bring to the club.

I still think bringing Owen back would be a good choice or maybe a small priced gamble with bringing Anelka back.
I like Gamst too but would he cut it at Liverpool? i'm not so sure
duk

Postby stmichael » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Its no good having a "20 a season" striker if the rest of the team provide no ammo. Last night we created very little. The connection here? Not enough creative midfielders or attacking playmakers. Its very easy.

Could anyone in midfield provide a change of pace (a la Kaka) to open things up, some pace on the wings, or quick creative feet in the centre of midfield? No. Gerrard was too often wandering in from the right, Zenden has no pace and therefore can't provide a supply line, Pennant wasn't played to accomodate Gerrard, so once again we had Alonso and Mascerano in the centre neither of whom has enough trickery or turn of pace to create a play or opening that far up the pitch (but otherwise are excellent in the roles they play generally).

Our balance still isn't right, and we do not have enough creativity or a player to take a chance on something.

However, do Chelsea play the kind of football you would expect to achieve from an expenditure of £500,000,000.00? No. It was surprisingly long-ball at times.

We can still turn this around with some positivity at Anfield. But a 1-0 reverse and no away goals makes it dodgy. Could you imagine it at Anfield if we were 2-0 up with 5 mins to play and Chelsea are piling on the pressure? I don't even want to think about it.

I think a 20 a goals a season striker is a fallacy.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:52 pm

stmichael wrote:Its no good having a "20 a season" striker if the rest of the team provide no ammo. Last night we created very little. The connection here? Not enough creative midfielders or attacking playmakers.

But you need to have confidence in strikers that take their chances that goes with the 20 goals a season. It isn't the number 20 people are on about but that goalscorer/natural finisher. It's one thing to say strikers need to supply but our current strikers have been known to waste good chances a la Blackburn

If you don't create many chances you need to make the most of what chances you create.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Redman in wales » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:32 pm

well woodgates out of the equation now....

Boro confirm £7m Woodgate signing 

Middlesbrough have signed central defender Jonathan Woodgate for £7m on a permanent deal from Real Madrid.
Woodgate, 27, arrived at his home-town club in August on a season-long loan and has now signed a four-year deal that comes into effect on 1 July

bbc link
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby jaytoothetee » Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:36 pm

stu'll be pleased... i'll :censored: meself if ashton signs a new contract tomorrow :D

One time, I saw a man looking at me, yes, with his eyes. And then, he, he picked up a tube. And he looked, in the tube, and he made the moon big, inside the tube. The moon big inside a tube! Waahaha... Aaah. Telescope.
jaytoothetee

Postby ToTinho » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:27 am

i think we must try to sign Adriano from intermilan ( he is having bust-ups with mancini weekly ) as they r trying to sellhim to generate money for Luca toni's deal . I know some will see it as a very long shot away but inter will look for a sum of 15-20 m for him which is affordable now and i believe he has all attribute to be a hit in EPL . With a couple of good wingers too i dont see a reason why we cant seriously challenge the title next year . Just hope that Rafa avoid Houillier mistake in 2002 summer and get the players that will improve the squad highly coz honnestly this season we missed inspiration in the last third .

YNWA
ToTinho

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:45 am

Any from: Sabrosa, Alaves, Quaresma, Huntelaar, and Saviola.
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:17 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:Any from: Sabrosa, Alaves, Quaresma, Huntelaar, and Saviola.

:no

Definately not. The only one of those I'd consider (Obviously apart from Alves who's unafordable) if it was about £5-6m is Simao, the others I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:35 am

Definately not. The only one of those I'd consider (Obviously apart from Alves who's unafordable) if it was about £5-6m is Simao, the others I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.

I like to touch people.

Not with a barge pole, but something similar.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:36 am

Would you touch Huntelaar with it though? ???

:D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby The Manhattan Project » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:41 am

Maybe. He's scored a lot of goals in Holland and might work well. It's hard to say. We signed Morientes and it didn't work. Then again Van Nistelrooy came over from Holland to England and was a prolific striker and apparently jumped Beechers Brook with ease. So it's difficult to know how a player will adapt when they move national leagues.
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fowler_E7 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:43 am

Stu.Murph wrote:
The Manhattan Project wrote:Any from: Sabrosa, Alaves, Quaresma, Huntelaar, and Saviola.

to be fair saviloa is available for free in the summer and would be an improvment on Bellamy. But i dont think this summer we need to be adding squad players. We deffo need 2 players IMO, a left winger, a pacey goalscoring striker who can finish, these players must be of the highest quality, and possibly a centre back to add competition.

I think the some of the players people are suggesting are quite rediculous, just because we have new investment a lot of people beleive where gonna be spending Chelsea style, i cant see that ever happening.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu.Murph » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:50 am

Fowler_E7 wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:

to be fair saviloa is available for free in the summer and would be an improvment on Bellamy. But i dont think this summer we need to be adding squad players. We deffo need 2 players IMO, a left winger, a pacey goalscoring striker who can finish, these players must be of the highest quality, and possibly a centre back to add competition.

I think the some of the players people are suggesting are quite rediculous, just because we have new investment a lot of people beleive where gonna be spending Chelsea style, i cant see that ever happening.

I don't think he'd be an improvement on Bellamy at all mate. Bellamy's a good player and for me is easily as good as Dirk Kuyt.

Saviola didn't perform in France and I doubt he'd adapt to the systems over here.

I think missing out on Woodgate was another complete and utter failiure by Rafa, they keep building up and I'm starting to really lose patience with him and his record in the transfer market. With the exceptions of Luis Garcia, Alonso, Reina and Fowler I think he's wasted an awful lot of money on players that are absoloutely nowhere near good enough to improve us.
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion