Summer signings - Who would you like to see? (within reaso

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:56 pm

7_Kewell wrote:
Effes wrote:With Allardyce resigning at Bolton, wouldn't that pave the way for us to get Anelka?

don't think Rafa would go for him as i can't see Anelka being happy with a squad role in our team.

:laugh:

Yet again you comment on a players feelings without actually knowing.

Love it. :D
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:29 pm

hmm...realistic summer signings. well tbh, you never know with rafa.

i'd definately like us to improve the striker situation.
its a certainty that fowler will be leaving, which leaves crouch, kuyt, bellamy and the new arrival of voronin. its anyone's guess at who will be leaving out of crouch, kuyt and bellamy. one thing that i'm sure of is that we need a striker that has a mix of all attributes that the three players just named have.

bellamy = pace
crouch = bringing others into play
kuyt = workhorse

we need at least one striker that has all these things and a good finish, thats what we have missed this season. i highly rate berbatov, and think he'd be a great signing for liverpool. whether tottenham would let him leave is a different story.
out of the potential relegated clubs surely looking at the likes of tevez, ashton, bent isnt out of the question either? maybe bring heskey back? :D

i think we need to make key decisions on whether it is worth waiting for mark gonzales to "settle" in england and if kewell is fit enough to even play. if not, a top quality left winger is needed, not so sure on who would be ideal to bring in at the moment.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:44 pm

S H I T E H A W K S
LFC2007

Postby EddieC » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:58 pm

LFC2007 wrote:For example, although Andriy Voronin may be a slightly surprising signing, Rafa obviously has his reasons based on scout reports and performance data.

Or maybe based on the fact he's on a free  ???
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:14 pm

Stan Collymore's a free agent - you don't see Rafa trying to sign him. He wouldn't sign a player who has no purpose, sure it helps that he is free, but he obviously sees a role for him at the club.
LFC2007

Postby BlueArmy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:53 pm

Pedersen for Bellamy & 3M?

You need a left midfielder, Bellamy hasnt done anything for you.. we need another centre forward, Bellamy's proved himself. Bellamy likes hughes and savage, falls out with all your players?

Everyone in blackburn's hoping this is true, articles in the telegraph saying its a possibility, although Hughes says he doesnt want to loose Gamst.

Start the rumours here, maybe your manager will read and realise its a good deal!
Last edited by BlueArmy on Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueArmy

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:02 pm

BlueArmy wrote:Pedersen for Bellamy & 3M?

You need a left midfielder, Bellamy hasnt done anything for you.. we need another centre forward, Bellamy's proved himself. Bellamy likes hughes and savage, falls out with all your players?

Everyone in blackburn's hoping this is true, articles in the telegraph saying its a possibility, although Hughes says he doesnt want to loose Gamst.

Start the rumours here, maybe your manager will read and realise its a good deal!

Are you a match going Blackburn fan then?
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby BlueArmy » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:04 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:

Yeah, dont start with the attendance insults, your wasting your time.
BlueArmy

Postby Stu.Murph » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:10 pm

BlueArmy wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:

No no, I wasn't going to, I love away days at Blackburn. :D

Just wondering your opinion on Morten Gamst Pedersen and weather you think he'd honestly cut it at a club like Liverpool considering Bellamy was your best player and hasn't.

Especially when you think he'd have to replace a player of Kewell's quality, even though Harry's hardly played, thats who he'd be compared to.

I do rate Bellamy by the way and think he's a good player, but he's nowhere near the standard of striker we accept at this club as a first team regular. Aslong as I've been a fan we've had Owen, Fowler, Rush, Beardsley, Aldridge and King Kenny and Bellamy to be fair, although a good player is nowhere near that standard of player.

Also can I ask how old you are?
Stu.Murph
LFC Super Member

Postby weringo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:29 pm

Pedersen is another signing who i don't think would actually improve our first 11, Im sure he would be a decent player for us but right now we need to sign "great" players if we're going to challenge Chelsea and the mancs for the title next year. Infact I would definately prefer a fit Harry Kewell in our team over Pedersen.
weringo
LFC Super Member

Postby duk » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:09 am

Dudek's going and if Carson doesn't return we'll need a keeper:

Craig Gordon of Hearts – I think he is a good keeper with the potentially to become a great one. Would be a good signing and probably fairly cheap

Robert Green – if West Ham to be relegated he would be looking for a move, nothing amazing but consistently good

tuesday proved we don't have cover in Defence. Palleta and Arbeloa are useless therefore me thinks

Lee Young-Pyo – Has been very good for Spurs and he is under-rated in my opinion. Would allow Riise to play further forward and can play on the right of defence also a good back up, better than Arbeloa and Palleta.

and agger isn't quite ready and hyypia is showing age so

Matthew Upson – At 28 years of age needs to make the step up to a big club soon or he probably never will. West Ham look certain to go down I think he is too good to be stuck in the championship again. Cheap.

If Kewell isn't fit then

Gamst Pederson, he is a good player and plays brilliantly in big games would be cheaper than most

we need new strikers so a few of the following

Owen – I don’t care what any of you say, I think he would do brilliant if he came back. Many say he won’t be half the player he was when he left but he has scored 7 goals in 11 games for the barcodes and scored 13 for Real. Worth the 12 million that makes him available for talks

Anelka - would be under 10million for a proven Premiership goal scorer. Better option than spending 24 odd million on Torres or Villa.

Ashton or Tevez – Both good forwards reasonable prices and both looking to move if west ham go down

then we need a AM type player to fill the role that Kuyt and gerrard have taken it in turns to play in and for me ....

Van der Vaart – Still only 24 and has 67 goals to his name from midfield. Is best playing behind a sole striker (the position Kuyt seems to be playing) Would probably cost double figures but he would be worth it IMO. Can play both wings also.

.... is worth a look

but what do i no :(
duk

Postby stmichael » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:22 pm

I see we're being linked with Micah Richards again today.

I know this much about Richards - if his talent isn't completely crushed beneath the weight of expectation and carrying the rest of City's defence, he looks like he could be a world-beater to me.

He's got a phenomenal physique for a young lad, allied to an amazing engine. He's effective at RB now, although he'll probably develop into a CB in the long term as his game awareness increases, he's also done a good, competent job in a midfield role when asked to play there. He's not scared to get forward from RB, but doesn't seem to get sucked into neglecting his defensive duties and has the pace to get back quickly when needed. He also didn't look overawed or out of his depth playing for England, unlike some of his more illustrious team-mates. I know several match-going City fans and to a man they rave about this lad, more than they did about SWP for example.

The apparent Chelsea interest and ludicrous price that's likely to go along with it is the only thing that would make me think twice about signing him. In the short term, he'd be good cover for Finnan at RB and with Hyypia slowly vanishing from the first team picture, for Agger and Carra at CB - he's better that Paletta for a start.

Thinking about this has actually helped me to flesh out some of my vague misgivings about the right-sided players I keep hearing us linked with, Simao and Alves in particular. I keep hearing that Alves is a RB, but whenever I see him play he seems to be very much a RW to me. He looks like a very good RW too, but surely we need a defensively minded RB first and foremost? If it's Alves and somebody else, OK, but who's the defensive signing?

Simao, I'm not convinced about at all for a number of reasons. Firstly, his club have taken the pi$$ with his fee for over two years. The last I heard was that he has a clause of £13.5m - considering that we had a bid of £10m accepted before an eleventh-hour change of heart, I'd like to know what he's done since that merits a 35% increase in his price. Secondly, his contribution defensively is the square root of bugger all and as such, if we signed him my point above becomes even more important.

The last thing we need is next season is to regularly see situations like the one mid-week against Chelsea on the left, where we're caught with our full-back near the opposition area, our wide midfielder not filling in the gap behind him effectively and our defence exposed to the counter-attack. I'm all for flowing, attractive attacking football, but not at the expense of defensive solidity.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby BlueArmy » Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:07 pm

Stu.Murph wrote:
BlueArmy wrote:
Stu.Murph wrote:

No no, I wasn't going to, I love away days at Blackburn. :D

Just wondering your opinion on Morten Gamst Pedersen and weather you think he'd honestly cut it at a club like Liverpool considering Bellamy was your best player and hasn't.

Especially when you think he'd have to replace a player of Kewell's quality, even though Harry's hardly played, thats who he'd be compared to.

I do rate Bellamy by the way and think he's a good player, but he's nowhere near the standard of striker we accept at this club as a first team regular. Aslong as I've been a fan we've had Owen, Fowler, Rush, Beardsley, Aldridge and King Kenny and Bellamy to be fair, although a good player is nowhere near that standard of player.

Also can I ask how old you are?

Firstly, im 20 mate.

On his day, I honestly rate morton as one of the best left midfielders i've seen in along time. I'd honestly say I'd rather have him than Kewell & Zenden. His freekicks as i've said somewhere else are almost perfect 80% of the time, and he must be responsible for a good amount of points per season. One problem with him, is he shoots from corners most of the time :veryangry. I'm pretty sure he'd cut it at liverpool - especially with riise who he always raves about behind him. Oh, and he's bloody good at tracking back aswell.

Honestly, the problem with Bellamy is that he wants to be the centre of attention - he was that here and he loved it. Everytime he got the ball people egged him on, but with liverpool having such high standards, some of the stuff he would of been bowed to for doing at blackburn is looked upon as "good" at liverpool. If you lot gave him the space to do what ever he wanted, he'd have good form, but you've got loads of world class players at liverpool, so he wont be given that freedom for you's.
Last edited by BlueArmy on Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueArmy

Postby metalhead » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:16 pm

stmichael wrote:I keep hearing that Alves is a RB, but whenever I see him play he seems to be very much a RW to me. He looks like a very good RW too, but surely we need a defensively minded RB first and foremost? If it's Alves and somebody else, OK, but who's the defensive signing?

No, no, no, Dani Alves is not a RW! He is a natural Right back and plays as wing back too because he likes to go forward all of the time. He is a typical Brazilian fullback, but he a good defender, an excellent passer, excellent dribbler and excellent crosser of the ball.

Buying alves to put him on the RW will be a huge and costly mistake! To maximize his strength you need to play him on the right back because what he does is fantastic there.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:30 pm

Michael Owen plays his first game back tonight, if he proves hes back to anything like his best I think we should try to buy him.
account deleted by request

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion