Rafa and our financial chaos - Worrying bascombe article

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:30 pm

peewee wrote:
NANNY RED wrote:
peewee wrote:
bavlondon wrote:Perhaps Pewee but all this talk of Rafa being gagged and Klinsman ect....it just doesnt seem to be going away and quite frankly im worried. There was even someone on here the other week saying how G Ballague had some dinner meeting and it was said that they want to get rid of Rafa ASAP. I wonder if these yanks even know what sort of backlash they could be facing if they messed this club around.

yes mate, the word you use is 'talk', lest just leave it at that, personally i am annoyed with some supporters over this, all they did was stand up to rafa and all of a sudden they are akin to the devil for standing up to saint rafa.

up to know they have made money available to rafa, they have redesigned the stadium, they have not said there will be no money in january and they handled the whole rafa 'dummy out the pram' episode very well.

lets wait until we hear from them

But Peewee mate theve lied when the bought the club it came from there own mouths that we would not go into dept everything was gonna be financed by them now there taking loans against the club were not talking little money here. The interest alone is astronamical .

Its just my opinion but these yanks are not what they seem .

People are goin on about theve given Funds when asked i dont honestly no how much but im sure a lot of it has been recouped from our outgoing players and money from competitions .
Maybe its just me but ill be happier if they put there cards on the table mate and came out and told us the truth

THis has nothing to do with Rafa this is about our club

its a bit harsh to say they lied nanny, i am sure that what they said at the time was genuine, however in life things change, especially in business and sometimes re structuring is needed, the cost of the ground has gone up forcing them into a rethink about how to finance it, but in business very few rich people pay their own money for anything, its actually better for them to borrow money as their investments generally get a better rate of return that the interest on borrowed money. as an example if you have 100,000 quid and are getting interest at 5%, but you need to buy something for 100,000 and can borrow the money at 4% then its good business sense to borrow the money, its an everyday occurrence in business, even branson finances his planes etc.

its normal business practice and not really worth bothering about

Peewee thats the buissness im in myself mate property development so i deal with with banks on a daily basis but i would never be so stupid to try and write off a dept from a personal investment and off set it against my company which looks like thats what there doing thats why i think theve got in way over there heads.

As far as trusting them goes this is from his own mouth

George Gillett admits he is on a mission to win the respect of every Kopite in the world.
And the American has sent this message to the millions of Liverpool fans around the globe: "Come talk to me."

He said: "I want to earn the respect of the fans. My message to them is to give us a few years and we'll see where it takes us. Give us a little time and we are going to have some fun together.

"When I go to Anfield I'm going to be on the streets in front of the stadium talking to fans. When I'm at the ice hockey if I see an empty seat during the interval I go and sit there to talk to the fans, and I will do the same here.

"When I arrived in Liverpool I picked up a paper and there were four or five letters to the editor about us from people who don't even know us. I've asked my people to get numbers for those fans and I will ring them personally."

Co-owner Tom Hicks moved to reassure fans their club is in safe hands.
He said: "This is not a takeover like the Glazer deal at Manchester United. There is no debt involved, and we believe that as custodians of this wonderful club, we have a duty of care to the tradition and legacies of Liverpool."
Source- LFC.TV from February 2007.

NO DEBT INVOLVED LOL

But contrary to promises made at the time of their takeover earlier this year, the owners are now preparing to load at least half of the new £350 million debt on to the club.

Banking sources said that, while Hicks and Gillett had now agreed to pump in £20 million each of their own cash to secure the new £350 million loan, one of the main sticking points previously has been the American pair's reluctance or inability to put up their own money. In addition to the £40 million in cash, the pair are also underwriting £75 million in letters of credit and £60 million in personal guarantees. The refinancing of the club's debts means that from next season Liverpool will have to shoulder about £30 million in annual interest repayments.

Wouldnt have this been far better
To think originally the stadium was gonna cost £120m and Moores/Parry didn't want to do that becasue it would have put us £200m in debt and taken until 2008 to build!

Imagine if they just did it (like Arsenal), we'd have a 60k stadium next seaon Moores in charge and a mere £200m of debt.

Now we could have £350m debt, and no stadium
OR
£650m of debt and a stadium by 2011/12.

I KNOW WHICH ONE ID PREFER :
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:42 pm

I don't know about anyone else, and for that matter I don't know if it would be something he'd be interested in, but I reckon Klinsmann would make a cracking number 2 at Anfield.

Not sure what the deal is with coaching badges and the like, but I just get the impression that he's got an intelligent handle on how the game should be played, and he's charismatic and likable enough to get those ideas across.

As for the financial side, I think Gillett and Hicks need to get their backsides over here, get in the press room and stay seated until they've answered every question that every journalist has to ask. All of this talk is pulling us to bits, and one way or another it needs nipping in the bud. If there are problems, be honest and get them out in the open. If there aren't, get in front of the cameras and refute these allegations. I reckon we'll see a weak Rick Parry statement in the next week or so that will just make matters worse, as what we're seeing at the moment is that a grain of truth gets distorted and mangled over several pages of the tabs, and now we're going into Christmas and it's all we'll be talking about.
ivor_the_injun

Postby The_Rock » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:24 pm

Bascombe has lost his credit when he came up with "Its not IF rafa will get sack its WHEN rafa will get the sack [email]cr@p.......[/email] so we are believing him again ?

Give the Yanks a chance...won't ya..

They bought the club....allowed rafa to get torres....are planning for a new stadium (which has been deadlocked for a few years now)...

The fact is that the media always wants to unstable this club..if its not rafa to real madrid [email]cr@p...then[/email] its gerrard to chelsea. Now its the yanks to sell this club....  :lookaround
Last edited by The_Rock on Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:46 pm

I doubt whether DIC would come in and pay double what they were gonna
pay last year.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:02 pm

How embarrasing will it look if DIC do take over.  I mean why was they not good enough last year?

All theses stories may be BS but I dont believe this yanks are willing to put as much money in as they suggested.  To me the stadium issues and transfer kitty issues is enough evidence to suggest things aint that rosy and the yanks have financial concerns.
puroresu

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:07 pm

Emerald Red wrote:All I needed to read there was the name Klinsmann. Then I stopped reading. For those two w@nkers to even think of replacing Rafa with him is an insult to this club alone. If it's true, just for this one reason, I want them out as fast as possible, and if possible, have them each presented to a full house at Anfield and receive one mighty hard boot in the boll*cks from every person in the crowd as a send off present. I really hope DIC come in now and take over, afterall, if they are indeed Liverpool supporters as well as business men, then that alone bods better than two football clueless Yanks. Oh, and they may leave those lovely blueprints for that stadium too. At least then it may get a chance to exist. That's my Christmas wish, even though there's a thread for that.

WOW Emerald your new sig is brilliant
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:14 pm

puroresu wrote:How embarrasing will it look if DIC do take over.  I mean why was they not good enough last year?

All theses stories may be BS but I dont believe this yanks are willing to put as much money in as they suggested.  To me the stadium issues and transfer kitty issues is enough evidence to suggest things aint that rosy and the yanks have financial concerns.

I agree.

There's a danger that we're starting to look at Hicks/Gillet as the devil and DIC as the saviours. I don't know enough about them to come to that conclusion (that's not an invitation for 25 cut and paste articles Rashid), so i'm just going to see what happens. It seems pretty clear enough that the Americans aren't good news for the club and that we need a change, but it's too dangerous to just start proclaiming others as the saviour, just yet.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:19 pm

NANNY RED wrote:
Emerald Red wrote:All I needed to read there was the name Klinsmann. Then I stopped reading. For those two w@nkers to even think of replacing Rafa with him is an insult to this club alone. If it's true, just for this one reason, I want them out as fast as possible, and if possible, have them each presented to a full house at Anfield and receive one mighty hard boot in the boll*cks from every person in the crowd as a send off present. I really hope DIC come in now and take over, afterall, if they are indeed Liverpool supporters as well as business men, then that alone bods better than two football clueless Yanks. Oh, and they may leave those lovely blueprints for that stadium too. At least then it may get a chance to exist. That's my Christmas wish, even though there's a thread for that.

WOW Emerald your new sig is brilliant

Cheers. Just uploaded it there to see if I could. Didn't know the site accepted GIF. format for the transparent background. I'm a bit  annoyed because it took me about two hours to do and I forgot to save it on  PSD. format, so I can't go back and add effects like dropping a shadow and embossing it to make it look as if it's standing out from the background. Forgot to do all that. Ah well.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:01 pm

Its anyones guess whats going on behind the scenes and we could really do with the owners coming out and giving a statement to try and stop all this paper talk.

For my money the Americans have bitten off more than they can chew and are now looking to scale down their spending or cut loose altogether if they get chance.

Moores had to sell because he couldnt do it and we hoped these guys could but maybe they just cannot so we have to go round again.

Its a sorry state of affairs unfortunately and the sooner we all know where we stand the better.

One way or another I can see big decisions being made soon enough and we will see who survives the fallout.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby heimdall » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:01 pm

I can't believe all these news paper articles. This is complete sh1t, if relations were this bad then either Rafa would be sacked already or he would have walked.
Of course Hicks and Gillet need to take out a loan, I have no issue with that, it doesn't look like Man Utd are suffering too bad after their takeover does it??

I like Gillet and Hicks but I don't think there is any truth in the rumour about Klinsman although I think he will one day be a great manager.
heimdall

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:12 pm

heimdall wrote:I can't believe all these news paper articles. This is complete sh1t, if relations were this bad then either Rafa would be sacked already or he would have walked.

Rafa would a) not be sacked because of the 6 million pay off the Yanks would have to forfeit; and b) Rafa would not walk because he's a stubborn man that wants to succeed in every way possible at this club...and the small fact of forfeiting 6 million if he does.

And how can you like a snake in the grass, or two for that matter?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:25 pm

heimdall wrote:I can't believe all these news paper articles. This is complete sh1t, if relations were this bad then either Rafa would be sacked already or he would have walked.
Of course Hicks and Gillet need to take out a loan, I have no issue with that, it doesn't look like Man Utd are suffering too bad after their takeover does it??

I like Gillet and Hicks but I don't think there is any truth in the rumour about Klinsman although I think he will one day be a great manager.

You like them you say! do you know them :no

But the main question is do you trust them ?

Cause i certainly dont read what they said in the beginning
We will not put this great club in dept. Enough said
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:42 pm

Let's face it, none of us knows exactly what is going on so it's not the time for taking sides and refusing to listen to opposing views.

I still question the whole valitdity of the ballague meal meeting. I can't remember the exact details but if you were the owner of a football club you wouldn't let it slip to a major reporter that you were going to sack the manager behind his back. It's either rubbish or G&H are idiots.

As has been mentioned, things change. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, G&H could have made promises with every intention of keeping them. But let's be honest, if I ran a business and my accountants/financiers came to me and said they'd found a way of borrowing the money that would save me millions - i'd take it.

There have been rumours that G&H are reluctant to spend because of problems with their other sporting investments. If they are businessmen out for money then I'm not that worried because given the choice they'd sell the troublesome business (US teams) and keep the viable invstments (LFC).

This has all happened before. In the summer the newspapers spent weeks telling us how G&H refused to spend any money, had no investment plans and were only in it for themselves. Then we bought Torres (£20m+), Babel (£11.5m), Lucas (£8m), Benny Noon (£5m) etc.

We can hardly complain that we don't have another £40+m to spend in January. Hopefully we have sensible people in charge of the mone who will spend big on worthwhile players but hold back on overpaying.
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Torres 2007 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:56 pm

theres obviously gonna be a big loan against the club to finance the new stadium. you can hardly expect hicks and gillette- the best a man can get, to pump in there own cash.

i do not understand why a blade of grass has not been touched on stanley park, or a brick laid. esp. considering the plans have been approved TWICE!

must be to do with costs spiralling on the most recent plans.

thing is, H&G do not have a bottomless pit of money, with Rafa asking for player signings etc in every window.

hes had 25m + for Torres, 10m for babel, benayoun, voronin, and others, so now its time for results
Torres 2007

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:02 pm

Torres 2007 wrote:theres obviously gonna be a big loan against the club to finance the new stadium. you can hardly expect hicks and gillette- the best a man can get, to pump in there own cash.

i do not understand why a blade of grass has not been touched on stanley park, or a brick laid. esp. considering the plans have been approved TWICE!

must be to do with costs spiralling on the most recent plans.

thing is, H&G do not have a bottomless pit of money, with Rafa asking for player signings etc in every window.

hes had 25m + for Torres, 10m for babel, benayoun, voronin, and others, so now its time for results

So weres the money then from Bellamy and other players weve sold and weres the champions league money in my reckonin about 40 million
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion