Is rafa losing patience? - Article in the independent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Simari » Sun May 27, 2007 2:59 am

s@int wrote:Benitez reveals the pressures that threaten to tear Liverpool apart
Last updated at 21:48pm on 26th May 20

Another Champions League final last week may have been historic enough, but Liverpool are entering one of the most critical periods — maybe even one of the most significant weeks — in their illustrious history, according to Rafael Benitez. And that is without contesting a match.

The game, instead, will be played out in meetings, on the phone, by email and fax, with the manager warning that if his club do not win it, they will end up as Premiership also-rans.

Within minutes of Liverpool traipsing the disconsolate march of losers back to the Olympic Stadium dressing room after defeat in Athens by Milan, Benitez used the post-match press conference to launch a calculated agenda about the need to sign new players — and now.

By the following morning at a naturally subdued team hotel, where Steven Gerrard sat forlornly on the staircase, the manager’s force had increased almost to storm warning, his mood darkening with each interview.

Benitez repeated his message about the need for large sums of money immediately. On top, he even speculated key players like Gerrard and Jamie Carragher might look elsewhere if they are not soon locked into long-term contracts.

Indeed, in what is a risky strategy that could well antagonise the new American owners, Benitez painted a picture of a club superficially thriving, with George Gillett and Tom Hicks talking about grand plans and new stadiums, but, beneath that, desperately in need of leadership and a new structure if he is to get the players he needs to deliver the vision.

"They tell me they want to win the Premiership and the Champions League," said Benitez. "They can do it, but they need to understand the business here. We need to do things quicker than Chelsea and Manchester United.

"If you don’t spend money, change things, improve in a lot of areas,we could fight to finish fourth. The owners understand and support me, and say they will back me. But if we don’t change things we will not be contenders."

Benitez had meetings scheduled with Gillett and Hicks for three days at the end of last week. Gillett was even quoted as saying: "If Rafa wanted to buy Snoogy Doogy we’d back him."

Benitez, though, is growing frustrated by talk without action to back it up. He believes that unless things move quickly, he will miss out on his top targets, who could include Barcelona’s Samuel Eto’o, Carlos Tevez — lately of West Ham — Sevilla wing-back Daniel Alves and Benfica winger Simao Sabrosa. Tal Ben Haim, the Bolton defender out of contract, is also believed to be on his wish-list as a squad player.

Benitez, off on holiday this weekend but with mobile phone in hand, will be ‘disappointed’, he says, if they do not make at least one big signing

He said: "We have the names to improve the squad but we need to do it. This is a crucial time. The conversations with the new owners are really good. They say: 'You can do this and this and this'. OK, I’m trying to do this and that, but when?

"I start to do this and then we cannot finish. It is something to do with the structure of the club and we must change it. If we don’t, we will lose targets."

Benitez sighed with frustration when he pondered the protracted negotiations for contract extensions with Gerrard, Carragher, Jose Reina and Xabi Alonso.

"Have Carra and Steve signed contracts?," he said. "I am asking you. Xabi or Reina?

"I was with Xabi and others after the game. We talked about the opposition, the tactics we had. It’s normal. It’s usually players like Xabi, Reina, Gerrard, Carra. They want to know you have good players ready to sign.

"We were talking about the fact that to renew the contracts of key players would send a message to other players, that we want to build a strong team. It’s the same when you’re signing players. If you bring strong, top-class players to the club, other players say: 'This team are going forward and growing’. But if we waste time, we can’t sign the players we want."

Gerrard, too, is on message: "If you look at the way we’ve performed in the league in the past couple of years, changes need to be made. But a positive feeling has been here since the takeover happened. The team will be strengthened, no doubt about that."

Michael Owen, it appears, is not on Benitez’s wish list, even if Gerrard and Carragher — and, for commercial purposes, the owners — might want him back. "All good players are an option," was the best Benitez could manage when asked about him.

Behind the Liverpool manager’s comments lies a power struggle within Anfield, with the usually understated but politically astute Spaniard seizing his moment. He knows the owners are not likely to sack him an that even if they did, he would not be short of offers, with Real Madrid having approached him in the past year.

Too often, he believes, he has missed out on top targets, above Juventus striker David Trezegu last summer and Serbia defend Nemanja Vidic, now with Manchester United, because the club were slow to act It is clear he has been at loggerheads with chief executive Rick Parry, not only over transfers but the pre-season programme, with Benitez unhappy trips to Holland and Asia in July have been scheduled when he wanted a longer training camp. However, Parry may no longer be such an important figure, with Gillett’s son, Foster, lined up to take on a senior administrative role. ‘But he is not here now,’ said Benitez who,when asked if the problem was that nobody could sign cheques, added: ‘OK, you know. You are clever enough.’ The manager emphasised:‘I am really pleased here, with the supporters, everything. I have a good staff with good players working hard. But other top sides have good players and good staff and their structure is good.We need to improve in a lot of areas and we can’t wait until August because the gap will get bigger.’ Liverpool fell short against Milan due to lack of penetration, against ageing and unambitious opponents there for the taking. It all strengthened Benitez’s hand for more durable players than Bolo Zenden, who is going, probably along with Mark Gonzalez and Craig Bellamy. Benitez has to shoulder some responsibility, too, for the current condition. Gerrard, for instance, is no Kaka — no second striker — and must be played in central midfield where he can see the game in front of him and attack space with the ball. And, having spent £100million in his three years with few conspicuous successes, the Anfield boss also has something to prove. ‘He is a great manager except in buying players,’ one coach in Spain said privately. But with many other Premiership clubs in the market this summer, Liverpool need to reinforce fast, then get off to a good start and show immediate signs in August that they are capable of bridging the gap with the top two, let alone hold off Arsenal. They certainly need the lift of a major signing or two.
-----------------------------------------

More fuel on the Parry funeral pyre.

What is the source of this, S@int?
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 27, 2007 3:14 am

daily mail

Here mate
account deleted by request

Postby lio » Sun May 27, 2007 3:15 am

:buttrock
So well said ...

No club in the world do a better impression of togetherness than Liverpool. No other team can touch the relationship between fans and players, no other team can reach and sometimes win European Cup finals by sheer determination and spirit, and no other team have such great songs to perfectly express it all.

... we throw stones at each other here but when get on to matchdays, we close ranks and sing the same song ...     :hearts :hearts :hearts

Observer
'Please please me, pleads Rafa'
lio

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 27, 2007 3:34 am

Transfers Liverpool under Rafa

spent  £81million    sold £19.5million  net £61million approx not including Cisse as transfer already agreed

Mancs in same period 

spent £56million    sold £14million    net £42million

I am not claiming the figures are correct as my adding up and Soccernet may both be wrong but its the best I can do.

From those figures Rafa has spent £19million more than Ferguson, take it or leave it.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun May 27, 2007 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Simari » Sun May 27, 2007 8:17 am

s@int wrote:Transfers Liverpool under Rafa

spent  £81million    sold £19.5million  net £61million approx not including Cisse as transfer already agreed

Mancs in same period 

spent £56million    sold £14million    net £42million

I am not claiming the figures are correct as my adding up and Soccernet may both be wrong but its the best I can do.

From those figures Rafa has spent £19million more than Ferguson, take it or leave it.

Liverpool transfers

more like £80m in, £40m out.

He had to buy several players since he had to get rid of the several first team deadwoods. He could not afford to only buy 2-3 expensive players and leave himself with no team to compete.

He has set the foundation to finally add the 2-3 quality signings. I will reserve my judgment until after he is able to do so.
Last edited by Simari on Sun May 27, 2007 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Simari » Sun May 27, 2007 8:25 am

aCe' wrote:give me a break  !

this is a football club not a business...

if he makes shi.tty buys and sells them for more then he should be a salesperson not a manager....
ur case is craap...

With all due respect Ace - at the highest level of competition, football is a business first. Without the business, the club and sport would not exist.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby destro » Sun May 27, 2007 10:59 am

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/07/05/27/SOCCER_Liverpool_Gillett.html

Liverpool's American co-owner George Gillett has cast doubt over his club's ability to claim the Barclays Premiership title next season.

Confidence is high on Merseyside after the Reds finished the current campaign strongly, culminating in last week's Champions League final defeat to AC Milan.

Immediately after that heart-breaking loss in Athens, manager Rafael Benitez called on Gillett and fellow owner Tom Hicks to back his summer restructuring at Anfield to give his side a genuine chance of competing for Manchester United Premiership crown next time out.

But although the arrival of the Americans has guaranteed a substantial summer war chest for the Spaniard, Gillett is not convinced the likes of United and Chelsea can be caught straight away.

He said: "I don't know if we are capable of challenging for the title next year.

"We want to make progress but it is a multiple-year programme. We want to challenge but we won't do it overnight.

"Manchester United are formidable competitors, Arsenal are one year older with brilliant young players and Chelsea are perhaps the greatest club in the world. They're not going to get any worse.

"Next season is up to Rafa Benitez and our chief executive Rick Parry.

"They have a plan and we're working on it. We're right behind it but we've got a big job to do."
destro

Postby Rockthekop » Sun May 27, 2007 11:23 am

The fact of the matter is that we havent had a squad capable of winning the Premiership since it began and we still havent.  As a Liverpool fan its been one big disappointment after another, mediocre signings, more money wasted and no progress being made  while watching your rivals lift title after title at a stroll.  Rafa Benitez is the best manager we have had since Paisley and lack of funds has meant we have been getting second and third choice players.  Liverpool have never spent more than 13m on one player which restricts the quality you can bring in; that has been the problem, quantity not quality.  We need to sign less players with more quality, we have too many mediocre players.  I dont blame Rafa for having a go, hes great manager whos passsionate about winning.  Give him the tools to build a great side once again.
Rockthekop

Postby destro » Sun May 27, 2007 11:29 am

Rockthekop wrote:Liverpool have never spent more than 13m on one player

Apart from Cisse
destro

Postby rosa » Sun May 27, 2007 11:33 am

Red26 wrote:
destro wrote:
Red26 wrote:Liverpool have had enough money over the last few years. Rafa's wasted all the money on Spanish no marks. And no world class players want play there.

Mascherano,Alonso, Agger really bad buys them arent they  ??? Image

Isn't Mascherano on a loan?

Alonso hasn't been looking so good recently. Agger's good.

Rafa's spent 100 million on these players..

Aurelio (Valencia, free), Pennant (Birmingham, £6.7m), Kuyt (Feyenoord, £9m), El Zhar (St Etienne, undisc), Duran (Malaga, undisc), Arbeloa (Deportivo, £2.6m), Reina (Villarreal, £6m), Gonzalez (Albacete, £4.5m), Zenden (M’boro, free), Barragan (Seville, undisc), Sissoko (Valencia, £5.6m), Crouch (Soton, £7m), Antwi (Zaragoza, undisc), Hobbs (Lincoln, undisc), Anderson (Hull, undisc), Kromkamp (Villarreal, swap), Martin (MK Dons, undisc), Agger (Brondby, £5.8m), Fowler (Man City, free), Bellamy (Blackburn, £6m), Paletta (Banfield, £2m), Josemi (Malaga, £2m), Garcia (Barcelona, £6m), Alonso (Sociedad, £10.5m), Nunez (Real Madrid, swap), Pellegrino (Valencia, Free), Morientes (Real Madrid, £6.3m), Scott Carson (Leeds, £750,000), Djibril Cisse (Auxerre, £14m).

Are you happy with 3 out of 29?

Didnt Houllier buy cisse? He arrived b4 Rafa i think -a parting gift from the frenchman after 20m on Diouf, Diao and chey - cheers mate!
Rich
rosa

Postby Rockthekop » Sun May 27, 2007 11:42 am

That's who Im refering to...wasnt 100% sure what the figure was but a waste for sure.  Houlliers signing of course, Diouf another of his 'great' signings!  :D the list goes on...
Rockthekop

Postby Rupi » Sun May 27, 2007 12:01 pm

Rafa's f***ing right. We need big investments to reach the title, and Gillett & Hicks have to back him now if they want him to stay and build something excellent. We need the first choices of Rafa's shopping list if we want to achieve someting big!

"In my time at Liverpool we always said we had the best two teams in Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves." Bill Shankly
Rupi

Postby destro » Sun May 27, 2007 12:43 pm

If you look at our spendings AND the players we bought since 2001 we have always been miles behind Man U and more recently Chelsea, although not all of their buys have been successful look at the ammounts they have paid, they have left us trailing.

Now we have the chance to match them especially with Chelsea ( claiming) they will no longer bid silly money. The days of the Liverpool name being enough to lure the best players are sadly long gone, so unfourtunately it comes down to who ever offers the most.

While the new owners have claimed they will not get carried away with the spending we still should have the extra advantage of being able to offer that extra couple of million that, in the past has has meant us losing out on a player and settling for a poor second choice.

Man u buy Veron 28.1 million, Ruud van Nistelrooy 19 million

Chelsea by Fat Frank 11 million

Man U buy Ferdinand 29.1 million

Liverpool buy Diouf 10 million and Diao
??? 5 million

Man U buy Ronaldo 12 million,Forlan ??? 6.9 million. Kleberson 5.9 million

Chelsea buy Duff 17 million, Crespo 16.8 million,Makelele 16.6,Mutu 15.8 million,Veron 12.5 million,Gerime 7 million, Bridge 7 million, Joe Cole 6.5 million

Liverpool buy Kewell 5 million

Man U buy Shrek 20 million,Saha 12.8 million,Heinze 6.9 million

Chelsea buy Drogba 24 million,Carvalho 19 million, Paulo Ferreira 13.2 million,Robben 12 million,Parker 10 million,Tiago 8 million, Chech 7 million

Chelsea buy Essien 24 million, Wright-phillips 21 million,Del horno 8 million,

Liverpool buy Crouch 7 million

Man U buy Carrick 18 million

Chelsea buy Mikel 16 million

Liverpool buy Pennant 6.7 million, Agger 5.8 million

They are the most expensive transfers between the clubs over those periods and not a full list of ALL the signings they have made, the gap in spending abiilty is huge, but like i said, hopefully we can now match the other twos spending power in terms of signings, the only stumbling block could be the wage demands.

All in all im looking forward to seeing the new faces arrive.and seeing what Rafa can do with the new budget. Already we have missed Riberry who i think would of been a fantastic signing, im hoping Rafa is working behind the scenes to make us the first choice of any future targets.We no longer need to settle for second best, Rafa has heaped the pressure on himself with his comments, if backed like we expect now is the time to judge him
destro

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 27, 2007 1:54 pm

I know a lot of people are giving Rafa stick for saying what he has said, but its better to have a manager who is disappointed with a season in which we reached a CL final, than a manager who says we had a great season lets see if we can do it again.

Postby account deleted by request » Sun May 27, 2007 3:33 pm

No room for sentiment in pursuit of past glory
By Alan Hansen

When Liverpool dominated English football, they were brutal. They were brutal when you first came into the dressing room and they were brutal when it came to letting you go - and it was this that kept them on top. If Liverpool are to return to where they think they belong, they need that same lack of sentiment.

When he summed up Liverpool's defeat in Athens, that was something Rafa Benitez seemed to recognise. As Liverpool manager he has taken his side to two Champions League finals in three years, but in the Premiership they have been 20-30 points off the pace. Just as it is time to leave Anfield and move to a new stadium, it is time to build a side that week in and week out can compete to bring the championship back to Liverpool for the first time since 1990.

However, it would be folly to think that just because the club's new American owners are promising to back Benitez big in the transfer market, Liverpool will emerge naturally as genuine title contenders. When he ran the club, David Moores funded a succession of Liverpool managers and, generally, the money was spent on a conveyor-belt of mediocrity. Is there any guarantee it would be better spent this time around?

When Liverpool were the Liverpool of old, you could go through their team-sheet and reckon that eight or nine of the names on it would be the best player in that position in the country.

If you do the same to Benitez's team, you would find eight or nine names who are among the three best players in their position in the country.

And that is the difference between Liverpool then and Liverpool now. If Benitez really wants to rebuild the club, he cannot be looking for good or even very good players; he needs great footballers.

On that plane coming back from Athens, Liverpool had two outstanding players - Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher. Javier Mascherano has the potential to join them while Jose Reina, after an uncertain start to the season, looks the part once more. That is four players from a squad of 18 - there are too many parts of the equation missing for Liverpool to feel comfortable about the future.

You would say that their most pressing need is for a centre-forward and for two wide players because neither of the two who played against Milan on Wednesday - Bolo Zenden and Jermaine Pennant - are of the standard Benitez now requires. I cannot see Benitez investing the Liverpool war chest on a single player. For £30 million, you are almost certainly looking at a foreigner and for every Michael Essien or Didier Drogba, £30 million can also get you an Andrei Shevchenko or a Michael Ballack. And Benitez will know that if Liverpool are looking to spend big, so are every other major club in the Premiership.

Benitez would have been looking to overhaul the club even if Liverpool had beaten AC Milan - and they came very close to doing so. In both Istanbul and Athens, the better team lost. But well as Liverpool played, they did not make the most of their opportunities.

A month short of his 39th birthday and having struggled to recover from a knee injury, Paolo Maldini looked a mile short of the standards required for a Champions League final; Liverpool had a great chance to get after him and never quite managed it.

Pennant had plenty of possession on the right flank and against Manchester United at Old Trafford, Dida had shown himself very vulnerable to crosses. But he was never really tested.

There was a case for starting with Peter Crouch but I would not criticise the formation Benitez began with in Athens, apart from the role he gave Gerrard.

The Liverpool captain is a man I would back to play anywhere but he is not at his best when he has his back to goal. If he was asked to play off Dirk Kuyt, Gerrard should have been encouraged to drive through the centre, where he is most dangerous.

When he woke up yesterday morning, having experienced all the very different emotions of Istanbul, Gerrard would have felt like the loneliest man on the planet, his mind filled with thoughts of what might have been. Those feelings will fade and, knowing Steven, it will make him hungrier and keener to kill teams off. Liverpool had Milan by the throat in the Olympic Stadium, but they failed to squeeze the life out of them.

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion