Is rafa losing patience? - Article in the independent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Effes » Fri May 25, 2007 3:23 am

Benitez attacks Liverpool over lack of funds
By Andy Hunter in Athens
Published: 25 May 2007
Disillusionment exceeded defeat in a European Cup final for Rafael Benitez yesterday as the Liverpool manager launched an extraordinary attack on the club and warned George Gillet and Tom Hicks his Anfield future rests on their largesse in this summer's transfer market.

Benitez was in no mood to curb the frustrations wrought by the loss to Milan in Athens, where Kaka-envy prompted an appeal to the club's American owners to invest in the expensive talent required for Champions League and Premiership success. Instead, he went much further; exposing a rift with chief executive Rick Parry by accusing Liverpool of prevaricating over transfers for three seasons, criticising the commercial arm of the club, challenging the sports tycoons to match the Glazers' spending at Manchester United - and all with the proviso that he has achieved as much as possible within the club's current financial framework.

By the standards of any leading manager it was a remarkable outburst but for Benitez, who has a history of confrontation with employers that belies his public persona and has spent £100m since his arrival from Valencia, this was a significant attack timed to capitalise on reaching a second European Cup final in three years and the Americans' first impending steps in the transfer market.

The Spaniard revealed that two "top class" signings in excess of £10m could be imminent at Liverpool - an outlay similar to his summer spending under the previous regime of David Moores - but what exists beyond that sum is uncertain yet liable to influence Benitez's stay on Merseyside.

"We must improve every department at the club, the sports and the business departments," he said. "If we don't change things right now and understand how crucial this moment is, we will waste one month, two months, two or three targets and then we'll start having to sign third-choice players and we'll have to be only contenders to be in the top four again. Nothing else.

"What do you want; to win the Premier League and the Champions League? The team that won the league this year spent £20m after winning the Premiership on one midfielder. Not a striker, £20m for a midfielder. Chelsea, Arsenal and United are spending money, big money, every year for the last five or 10 years. That means there is a big difference. We finished third with 82 points, a record for this club, but were nine points behind Chelsea. Now we've finished 21 points behind but reached the final of the Champions League because the work-rate of the team is fantastic and it is a knock-out competition. But we cannot keep the team for nine months at this level.

"We have some targets, cheaper [than £20m] but top-class players. We have one or two clear options and we must say: 'Sign him'. We can sign top-class targets for €15m to €20m (£10m-£13m) right now. Maybe we didn't have enough money in the past but now we have new owners who can invest £400m in the club. They want a new stadium full of people. Finishing 21 points behind United is something that, as a manager, you cannot understand. We need to do better things."

Benitez has never been afraid to challenge a club's hierarchy - he fell out with the then technical director Jorge Valdano at Real Madrid over interference in youth team selection and left Valencia because of financial restraints - and, worryingly for Liverpool, he compared his dilemma to that which drove him from the Mestalla in 2004.

"At Valencia we won the league for the first time in 31 years, but decided not to improve and we were fifth the next season," he said. "They thought we were winners and didn't need to sign anyone. It is the situation I am watching here in the last few years. They say we are close but we are not close."

Liverpool are at a critical juncture in their relationship with a manager who has won the European Cup and FA Cup in three seasons but is no closer to delivering the League than his predecessor, Gérard Houllier, and Benitez said he would no longer tolerate the hesitancy that has cost him high-calibre signings. In a loaded comment for Parry, whose position at the club may not be as secure as it appeared when the Americans assumed control in February, he said: "I am saying all this because, after three years' hard work, we have not progressed enough. I have confidence in the Americans because they say they will back me, but I want to see things happen now. There are issues that we need to resolve. We talk and talk but we never finish. I am worried about talking to players for six months, and then losing them."

Benitez confirmed that Bolo Zenden would be allowed to leave on a free transfer and Mark Gonzalez is close to a return to Spain with Real Betis. The release of two left midfielders may keep Harry Kewell at Liverpool for the final 12-months of his contract while, having started in Athens, Xabi Alonso is now inclined to stay.

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/article2581119.ece

Rafa seems to be getting annoyed with the way the club deals with transfers; this isn't the first time either.

We lost out on Simao, Vidic, Alves... we cant afford more cokc ups this Summer.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri May 25, 2007 3:40 am

good article, i cant blame him for getting frustrated about it, we do seem quite lethargic as a club when it comes to transfers
112-1077774096

Postby Lando_Griffin » Fri May 25, 2007 3:56 am

There have been a few occasions where we've been all set to try and sign a player, but we've had to wait while Parry or whoever gets back off their f*cking 3 week holiday. It's pathetic, really, and I commend Rafa for finally bringing it to light.

Surely your Chief Executive should holiday AFTER he's acquired the services of the club's targets, not while negotiations are being undertaken? FFS - it's akin to Gerrard f*cking off to Dubai for nearly a month in the middle of November. :no

The fact is, had the club moved quicker, we'd probably have had Simao, Alves, Vidic, etc, etc, signed up long before the Scum, Sh*tski, etc even knew about them. As it is, our dithering means our rivals can nip in and steal Rafa's targets.

Shocking, really.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Fri May 25, 2007 4:36 am

This attitude by Parry? of we will get round to it sooner or later has been going on for years. Even now we hear "Gerrard is ready to sign his new contract". Parry says " theres no rush"! Maybe if we showed more eagerness to sign players and get contracts signed, there would be less "misunderstandings" and also a few more players signing for us instead of our rivals.

I remember a few years ago we were after Silvestre, we hesitated, the Mancs stepped in and we lost him, not a great player but an example. Boumsong was another (glad we missed him to be honest) deal arranged , and then we dont contact him for 5 months? and then we are surprised when they start to wonder how keen we are to actually sign them.

We were lucky with Mascherano (allied to persistance) we can't keep depending on luck and the players no one else wants! Often their isn't much difference in the terms offered but a big difference in the attitude at the clubs. Van Nistelroy often spoke of how Ferguson kept in contact with him all through his long layoff with injury, reassuring him that the deal would go through. We get t0ssers like Lucas Neill saying we didn't show much interest in signing him so he goes to WH. (maybe the money played a part :D )

Lets go out get the top quality players Rafa wants, and then bring home the title.
account deleted by request

Postby AussieKopite » Fri May 25, 2007 5:20 am

s@int wrote:We get t0ssers like Lucas Neill saying we didn't show much interest in signing him so he goes to WH. (maybe the money played a part :D )

Knowing how lethargic our transfer process is, I'd say it played a part in his decision in addition to the money.

Is the window open now? Or does it open in June? I'd like to see a purchase take place within the first week to show LFC mean business in the league.
You'll never walk alone.

Twitter: @AussieKopite
AussieKopite
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby egyptian liverpoolian » Fri May 25, 2007 5:44 am

rafa still the king
the lion sick but not dieeeeee  :angry:
my real name is mostafa
i am muslim, arab , egyptian
and i adore liverpool
egyptian liverpoolian

Postby gato_busta » Fri May 25, 2007 5:48 am

The transfer window opens in june, yet we are able to negociate with players and get pre-contracts settled as has been done with Voronin, Leto and Leiva.
"Jugadores hay muchos, ídolos muy pocos"

Descansa en paz Claudia (9/10/1984 - 11/25/2007)
gato_busta

Postby Rafa D » Fri May 25, 2007 6:06 am

"The lion is sick but not dieeeee"

PMSL Brilliant Quote that, can imagine you sitting there screaming it at the screen. :D

On the subject of the article, its nothing we did not know is it?
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Fri May 25, 2007 8:22 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:There have been a few occasions where we've been all set to try and sign a player, but we've had to wait while Parry or whoever gets back off their f*cking 3 week holiday. It's pathetic, really, and I commend Rafa for finally bringing it to light.

Surely your Chief Executive should holiday AFTER he's acquired the services of the club's targets, not while negotiations are being undertaken? FFS - it's akin to Gerrard f*cking off to Dubai for nearly a month in the middle of November. :no

The fact is, had the club moved quicker, we'd probably have had Simao, Alves, Vidic, etc, etc, signed up long before the Scum, Sh*tski, etc even knew about them. As it is, our dithering means our rivals can nip in and steal Rafa's targets.

Shocking, really.

I read those quotes in the article Matrix wrote. And they're shocking and non-Rafa. Definitely not used to that tone in him. Even in Valencia where there was a lot of pressure and shíte he didn't say such a rant.

It seems to me he's losing patience aswell, and it seems to me a sign to the new owners. Rafa comes from a country in which chairmans promise a lot (Kaka, Ronaldinho, they'll bring anybody) and then do little. Maybe Rafa is pressing the owners to make his nice words real.

I'm pretty sure though he wouldn't make such comments in such a tone normally.

I don't blame Rafa neither. If I was him I'd only be happy with Anfield's crowd. Because this 2 weeks I've been reading the english footie press and it's worse than the Spaniard. Meaning, the Spanish is also shíte, but at least they know they're journalists and that they're not in melwood every day nor in the dressroom. The English one is only slightly better, but they think they know it all. I wouldn't buy the press if I was Rafa, I think even the calmest man can lose the patience with it Lando!  :laugh:
Last edited by Sabre on Fri May 25, 2007 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Keris » Fri May 25, 2007 9:17 am

Well you know what they say about hype??.....don't believe in it :cool: :;): :D
Keris
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Fri May 25, 2007 9:54 am

At the end of the day we cant moan about not trying for the league when out squad just isnt good enough. Hes right to moan. Having said that now Rafa will have to prove himself right again and make the signings work as next year if were discussing this again it wont be for lack of funds.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kobashi » Fri May 25, 2007 10:05 am

who does rafa think he is gonna get for £10m?  not many genuine world class players going for that cheap..
kobashi

Postby lio » Fri May 25, 2007 10:14 am

It's easy for me here to shout: 'We need afew branded players for LFC to be back at the top next season. Please pump in the cash before it's too late'. :O :O :O

But allowed me to take a moment to be in our owners' shoes. Here I am, going to dig into my pocket or I need to take a bank loan to get them in and what then my risks and returns? Well unless if money is just following out from some oil fields, it's easy. Let's do it yesterday, i will said.

That's my 2cents view.
:D
lio

Postby ste123lfc » Fri May 25, 2007 10:23 am

Is it possible that Liverpool has run the course of time with Rick Parry, what with the ticket ballot fiasco and the Gerrard saga a couple of seasons ago, is it time for a change. Don't get me wrong, he has done alot of good work lately with all the take over business, but when it comes to transfers he is well behind the times. You have to be quick off the mark to get the top players, not just sit back and expect them to come knocking at your door. Whilst Rafa is in charge of the players, George and Tom are in charge of Rick and they will not tollerate p[B]iss poor performances.
From Shankly to Brendan we follow our team, Rome to Istanbul we've all lived the dream. Our journey is long, our goal stays the same, to keep for our children the famous red name.
ste123lfc
LFC Super Member

Postby Woollyback » Fri May 25, 2007 11:01 am

kobashi wrote:who does rafa think he is gonna get for £10m?  not many genuine world class players going for that cheap..

i think what he's saying is we could easily go and splash £10m each on a couple of players already, but he is expecting the board to back him for much more expensive players. and he is right to do so, cos for the last 5 years the gap between us and the league champions has been pretty much static

the most important point is about hesitancy though. if we want to sign the top players then the club has to pull its thumb out of its @rse and move quickly and decisively for a change

i'm not worried though, the americans have serious wealth and are making all the right noises about what they're gonna do with it as well. the bottom line is that it doesn't take a genius to realise that winning the league would mean MASSIVE commercial success for LFC, and that's what the americans are here for when all's said and done

don't paniiiiiiiiiiic!!!!!
Last edited by Woollyback on Fri May 25, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
b*ll*c*ks and s*i*e
Woollyback
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion