Is rafa losing patience? - Article in the independent

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby hello_red » Sun May 27, 2007 6:21 pm

Benitiz needs the funds opened up asap! no waiting on transfer only to see our first choice players going.

and to people that think Rafa has made some bad signings, yes he has but wouldnt you if you had to buy your 3rd or even 4th choice player becasue of an incompetent board. it annoys me so much how a great manager like Rafa can get the run around by a board that apparently have Liverpools best interests at heart!

lets see some money please Americans!
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby Penguins » Sun May 27, 2007 7:46 pm

destro wrote:If you look at our spendings AND the players we bought since 2001 we have always been miles behind Man U and more recently Chelsea, although not all of their buys have been successful look at the ammounts they have paid, they have left us trailing.

Now we have the chance to match them especially with Chelsea ( claiming) they will no longer bid silly money. The days of the Liverpool name being enough to lure the best players are sadly long gone, so unfourtunately it comes down to who ever offers the most.

While the new owners have claimed they will not get carried away with the spending we still should have the extra advantage of being able to offer that extra couple of million that, in the past has has meant us losing out on a player and settling for a poor second choice.

Man u buy Veron 28.1 million, Ruud van Nistelrooy 19 million

Chelsea by Fat Frank 11 million

Man U buy Ferdinand 29.1 million

Liverpool buy Diouf 10 million and Diao
??? 5 million

Man U buy Ronaldo 12 million,Forlan ??? 6.9 million. Kleberson 5.9 million

Chelsea buy Duff 17 million, Crespo 16.8 million,Makelele 16.6,Mutu 15.8 million,Veron 12.5 million,Gerime 7 million, Bridge 7 million, Joe Cole 6.5 million

Liverpool buy Kewell 5 million

Man U buy Shrek 20 million,Saha 12.8 million,Heinze 6.9 million

Chelsea buy Drogba 24 million,Carvalho 19 million, Paulo Ferreira 13.2 million,Robben 12 million,Parker 10 million,Tiago 8 million, Chech 7 million

Chelsea buy Essien 24 million, Wright-phillips 21 million,Del horno 8 million,

Liverpool buy Crouch 7 million

Man U buy Carrick 18 million

Chelsea buy Mikel 16 million

Liverpool buy Pennant 6.7 million, Agger 5.8 million

They are the most expensive transfers between the clubs over those periods and not a full list of ALL the signings they have made, the gap in spending abiilty is huge, but like i said, hopefully we can now match the other twos spending power in terms of signings, the only stumbling block could be the wage demands.

All in all im looking forward to seeing the new faces arrive.and seeing what Rafa can do with the new budget. Already we have missed Riberry who i think would of been a fantastic signing, im hoping Rafa is working behind the scenes to make us the first choice of any future targets.We no longer need to settle for second best, Rafa has heaped the pressure on himself with his comments, if backed like we expect now is the time to judge him

Don't post stuff like that.

Most fans do not want to read this. Way too realistic and it's must better to be obilivious and believe we've had sooo much money to spend with no league title coming still.

Who wants to hear that our record fee is 14 million and that manure and Chelski have spent more than that on most of their 1st team players.

But we are Liverpool and we just must win no matter what our rivals do or spend.
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby KOPMATT » Mon May 28, 2007 12:46 am

I hope to God that Rafa's not losing patience, he IMO is so crucial to our future you can see that by what he's done in the space of time he's been at the club.
Keep the RAFALUTION!
KOPMATT

Postby LFC2007 » Mon May 28, 2007 12:53 am

Penguins wrote:
destro wrote:If you look at our spendings AND the players we bought since 2001 we have always been miles behind Man U and more recently Chelsea, although not all of their buys have been successful look at the ammounts they have paid, they have left us trailing.

Now we have the chance to match them especially with Chelsea ( claiming) they will no longer bid silly money. The days of the Liverpool name being enough to lure the best players are sadly long gone, so unfourtunately it comes down to who ever offers the most.

While the new owners have claimed they will not get carried away with the spending we still should have the extra advantage of being able to offer that extra couple of million that, in the past has has meant us losing out on a player and settling for a poor second choice.

??? 5 million

Chelsea buy Duff 17 million, Crespo 16.8 million,Makelele 16.6,Mutu 15.8 million,Veron 12.5 million,Gerime 7 million, Bridge 7 million, Joe Cole 6.5 million

Chelsea buy Drogba 24 million,Carvalho 19 million, Paulo Ferreira 13.2 million,Robben 12 million,Parker 10 million,Tiago 8 million, Chech 7 million

They are the most expensive transfers between the clubs over those periods and not a full list of ALL the signings they have made, the gap in spending abiilty is huge, but like i said, hopefully we can now match the other twos spending power in terms of signings, the only stumbling block could be the wage demands.

All in all im looking forward to seeing the new faces arrive.and seeing what Rafa can do with the new budget. Already we have missed Riberry who i think would of been a fantastic signing, im hoping Rafa is working behind the scenes to make us the first choice of any future targets.We no longer need to settle for second best, Rafa has heaped the pressure on himself with his comments, if backed like we expect now is the time to judge him

Most fans do not want to read this. Way too realistic and it's must better to be obilivious and believe we've had sooo much money to spend with no league title coming still.

Who wants to hear that our record fee is 14 million and that manure and Chelski have spent more than that on most of their 1st team players.

But we are Liverpool and we just must win no matter what our rivals do or spend.

Why the sarcasm?

We expect to succeed because we are the most successful club in England, there has to be perspective as to whether we will or not, but that doesn't mean people shouldn't want to win no matter what.

The standard has been set, we don't just want to match that standard, we want to exceed it.
LFC2007

Postby destro » Mon May 28, 2007 10:08 am

Penguins wrote:

??? 5 million

I know it doesnt make pleasant reading but its a fact. We havent been able to compete with them, until hopefully now. Being Liverpool Fc doesnt give us a god given right to win, we need to compete. We can no longer just let them dictate the transfer market
destro

Postby account deleted by request » Wed May 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Benitez feeling happier

By James Carroll
Date: 30/5/2007

Rafael Benitez says that a meeting with Liverpool's American owners regarding transfers this summer had a positive outcome. 

The Reds boss called for immediate action in the wake of the European Cup Final defeat in Athens last week, admitted that he was getting fed up with the amount of time it was taking to secure players.

Benitez now believes that he has had the assurance that he'll be able to make several key purchases before the start of the season.

He told the Liverpool Echo: "Rick Parry and I had a good meeting when we spoke to the owners and we all agreed what's important is for everyone to work together to do the right things for the club.

"That means changing the structure of the club and spending money on players, both young players and players who will go straight into the team. We have not talked about budgets, but I know the owners are backing me. That's what's important and now is a time for us to be positive.

"It's not just about buying players who might be more expensive but getting players for the right price."

The Reds swooped for Hungarian youngsters Krisztian Nemeth and Andras Simon and Benitez admits that he is pleased to have landed the teenagers.

"Rick and I worked very hard together on Friday to complete the deal for the two Hungarian players who I believe will be very good for the future of the club. They are two top talents. Now the hard work will continue," he said.

"We have been watching these players for a long time. There were a lot of big clubs interested in them, such as Real Madrid, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven.

"It's never easy for a young player to settle in England, but we know they have outstanding ability and we're really thankful to the president of their club for his fantastic co-operation in our negotiations.

"We have a very good relationship with MTK Hungaria which will continue because they have a very strong Academy."

Meanwhile Liverpool today confirmed their participation in the Rotterdam tournament this summer.

The Reds will play Chinese outfit Shanghai Shenhua on August 3 before taking on hosts Feyenoord on August 5 as part of the Port of Rotterdam's 75th anniversary.

A more positive article  :)
account deleted by request

Postby Sabre » Wed May 30, 2007 11:58 pm

Interesting article.

I didn't post in the thread, but I did read the Anorak's  post the other day. I think he mentioned at some point that the rant of Rafa the other day, wasn't meant that much to be against Parry, but more directed to the new owners.

It seems that Rafa's "happyness" coming from a meeting with the new owners confirms this (IMHO). Rafa comes from a country in which chairmen promise a lot but then bring nothing (Madrid chairman promised Kaka and Alonso to be elected IIRC) . Perhaps he was just checking if the Americans are the same  :laugh:

"Rick and I worked very hard together on Friday to complete the deal for the two Hungarian players who I believe will be very good for the future of the club. They are two top talents. Now the hard work will continue," he said.

"We have been watching these players for a long time. There were a lot of big clubs interested in them, such as Real Madrid, Ajax and PSV Eindhoven.

I think it's good that a massive work is being done scout-wise around the world. LFC are talking not only with that Hungarian Club, but also with Spanish youth clubs, like the one Alonso and Arteta came from. Many promising young stars then become nothing, but one or two of them can be a 40M quid player, so it's an investment
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu May 31, 2007 12:03 am

There's no proof he is being backed yet. When they start spending (which hopefully they will), then there's proof.

Parry going on five live and saying everything is fine and dandy is not proof, as he's a proven liar.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby stmichael » Thu May 31, 2007 12:25 am

Just to elaborate, the crux of this matter, for me, is what are the relative roles of the key figures at the club?

To my mind, the board set the vision (winning trophies and living up to our illustrious history), hire the manager and let him get on with it. Their only other key function is to review his work and hold him to account.

The manager's voice must be decisive in all aspects of running the football side of things, from The Academy, to scouting, transfer deals and playing contracts and everything first team related.

The Chief Executive must be the manager's lieutenant, in my opinion (similar to how Arsenal clearly envisaged the role when they announced Wenger would appoint Dein's replacement). His job is to facilitate the manager's work by ensuring the non-playing side of the club is run smoothly and professionally to ensure the fans are happy (crucial for the playing side to function at its peak), revenues are maximised and the manager's decisions can be expedited with prompt efficiency.

As far as I can tell, the roles at the club have been distorted for years, with the man who should be at the bottom of the hierarchy (board, manager, CEO - the successful model at Manchester United) effectively sitting at the top (Parry, Moores, Rafa). That is wrong - especially when he's clearly not good enough at what he does - and needs to change. I only hope the new guys will see it and act decisively.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby The Manhattan Project » Thu May 31, 2007 12:34 am

Chelsea have the best management structure. Basically goes like this I think:

1- Roman
2- The two guys who guard Roman
3- The lawyer who works for Mrs. Roman
4- Peter Kenyon, who cleans the barnacles off Roman's yacht.
5- The captain of Roman's yacht.
6- Frank Arnesen, who will run Roman's F1 team next year (Roman Racing Inc).
7- Jose Mourinho
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Thu May 31, 2007 2:20 am

stmichael wrote:Just to elaborate, the crux of this matter, for me, is what are the relative roles of the key figures at the club?

To my mind, the board set the vision (winning trophies and living up to our illustrious history), hire the manager and let him get on with it. Their only other key function is to review his work and hold him to account.

The manager's voice must be decisive in all aspects of running the football side of things, from The Academy, to scouting, transfer deals and playing contracts and everything first team related.

The Chief Executive must be the manager's lieutenant, in my opinion (similar to how Arsenal clearly envisaged the role when they announced Wenger would appoint Dein's replacement). His job is to facilitate the manager's work by ensuring the non-playing side of the club is run smoothly and professionally to ensure the fans are happy (crucial for the playing side to function at its peak), revenues are maximised and the manager's decisions can be expedited with prompt efficiency.

As far as I can tell, the roles at the club have been distorted for years, with the man who should be at the bottom of the hierarchy (board, manager, CEO - the successful model at Manchester United) effectively sitting at the top (Parry, Moores, Rafa). That is wrong - especially when he's clearly not good enough at what he does - and needs to change. I only hope the new guys will see it and act decisively.

Stmichael, I don't quite follow you on this post.

Particularly with regard to the functions of the board and the hierarchy being wrong?

The model has always been Chairman, board, CEO, Manager. Even at Man Utd, but even still, the CEO is part of the board and the manager reports back to the board.

Rafa is at the bottom of the hierarhy in business terms, just like Ferguson is at Man Utd.
LFC2007

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion