Rafa and our financial chaos - Worrying bascombe article

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:10 am

LIVERPOOL face the shocking possibility of a second takeover within a year.
Anfield insiders believe American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett will be forced to put the club up for sale again to avoid financial meltdown just 10 months after completing their Mersey swoop.

And that has alerted Dubai International Capital, who were also interested in the club last February.
There are major doubts that Hicks and Gillett have the funds to pay for a £300million stadium on Stanley Park or even give manager Rafa Benitez a big transfer war chest. DIC were stunned when they were outflanked by Hicks and Gillett earlier this year but a fresh New Year bid is now a realistic prospect.

Hicks has denied considering diluting his 50 per cent shareholding but it's clear the financial demands upon the owners are beyond their expectations.

The Americans will want at least three times the £219m they paid less than a year ago. But as they have to repay a £298m loan by February, and have no deal in place to pay this debt or for a stadium, circumstances may soon give them little option but to welcome bids.
.................................................. ...

IF last week was a bad one for Liverpool on the pitch, their owners have been stumbling from one shambles to the next off it.
Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jnr breezed in and out of Merseyside with their usual charm but their smiles, handshakes, spin-doctored statements and guest appearances at Anfield legends' dinners belied deep concerns behind the scenes.

Humiliating backtracking over the design of their new stadium and an undignified showdown with their manager Rafa Benitez has been accompanied by revelations the American duo have been struggling to secure a £350million refinancing package.

Now plans are under way for Dubai International Capital to revive their interest in Anfield, oust the Americans and head off a potential catastrophe.

Kop fans, who have seen their team suffer a major blow to their Premier League title hopes with a defeat at home to Manchester United and then crash out of the Carling Cup at Chelsea, are also praying an over-valuation of the club by the Americans doesn't hinder negotiations.

Hicks and Gillett arrived promising stability, the preservation of Anfield traditions and a new stadium.

Yet, within 12 months, they have put in place a plan to sack Benitez against their fans' wishes, while making the club — and themselves — a laughing stock by unveiling an extravagant new arena they cannot afford.

What is even more worrying is that it is now the owners themselves who are under scrutiny by the banks who are refusing to finance their schemes.

Hicks and Gillett are having problems convincing lenders they have the personal securities required to attain the vast sums needed because they are either unwilling — or unable — to dip their hands deep into their own pockets.

Hicks and Gillett purchased the club with a £298m loan from the Royal Bank of Scotland last February. They now want to replace that debt with a further £350m loan from American bank Wachovia and a new injection from the RBS.

Crucially, they have been in talks to secure funds against the club's assets, breaking their promise when they bought out ex-chairman David Moores.

Anfield traditionalists, including members of the old board, are understood to be horrified by the recent developments. 

The owners must still find ANOTHER £300m to pay for the stadium.

Although that's going to be less problematic, they still have no idea where this money will come from, opening the door for rival investors to make their move.

Liverpool spent five years scouring the world for an investor.

Having sold out, they weren't expecting the American owners to be in the same embarrassing situation 12 months later. Just last week, the club confirmed a new £400m stadium plan, unveiled amid some razzmatazz by Hicks, had been shelved because of its cost.

This has happened despite an estimated £1m spent on the redesign by the Dallas-based architecture firm HKS.

It was the News of the World who first revealed the divisions at Anfield regarding the inflated price of the stadium.

Hicks and Gillett have also alienated fans with their plan to sack Benitez, a plot they still intend to see through if they're in control at the end of the season.

What will come as an even greater shock to Kop regulars is the identity of the man they have targeted to replace him.

Former Germany boss Jurgen Klinsmann is the owners' preference.

A shortlist of candidates was drawn up months ago, including both Klinsmann and former Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho. But Mourinho now appears to be a non-starter as he has ambitions to manage in Spain or Italy, leaving Klinsmann the new favourite for the post. 

California-based Klinsmann is known to Gillett through his sporting contacts in the United States — and he is keen to return to England in such a prestigious position.

But faced with the choice of either keeping Benitez or the owners and their new German appointment, Anfield fans are certain to favour a fresh takeover at the club.

Klinsmann, 43, has no managerial experience in club football, although he led his country to the semi-finals of the 2006 World Cup as tournament hosts.

Liverpool's courting of the German represents a further devastating blow to the popular Benitez, who the Americans seem intent on undermining at every turn. A gagging order has been placed on the Spaniard following last weekend's much publicised talks.

He was told he can keep his job until the end of the season, providing he doesn't criticise the Americans — either publicly or privately — for the rest of his tenure.

Benitez now finds himself working for a totalitarian regime who won't tolerate as much as a misplaced cough in any of his Press conferences.

The prospect of Benitez being immediately dismissed from the Anfield hotseat — a genuine possibility before his change of tack three weeks ago — has, at least, temporarily receded.

But Hicks and Gillett's pursuit of other managers underlines why they have failed to confirm Benitez's long-term position.

Now a critical few weeks lie ahead, where it is hoped several of those companies who were rivals to the Americans a year ago will re-emerge to save the club sinking any further into chaos.

As well as DIC, who were stunned by a last minute U-turn which denied their takeover a year ago, Northern Ireland millionaire John Miskelly has a long-standing interest in the club.

Both parties would welcome an opportunity to revive takeover talks, and would guarantee supporters' backing by confirming the long-term future of Benitez.

A change of ownership would not only save the manager, more significantly, it will help restore and preserve the traditions of the Merseyside club which are currently under the most serious threat of its 115-year history.

I thought this deserved a seperate thread but if the mods think it would be better in one of the ongoing ones please move it.
account deleted by request

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:13 am

If it was on my desktop id press delete.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:16 am

Kharhaz wrote:If it was on my desktop id press delete.

Last edited by account deleted by request on Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:19 am

s@int wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:If it was on my desktop id press delete.

hahahahaa yeah thats me alright ! Its a bad habit I have. I just dont believe opinions of journalists. They are paid to make a story. Unless im proved otherwise i'll stick to my beliefs.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:25 am

What more proof do you need, Hicks and Gillett said they would have the funding and refinancing sorted out BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the last banking day was Friday. They still haven't sorted it. They said they would not put the debt against the club, they have now admitted that the ONLY WAY IS BY PUTTING THE DEBT AGAINST THE CLUB.

They said that they would take a loan out to fund the stadium, THEY NO LONGER CAN OBTAIN A LOAN TO FUND THE STADIUM, AND ARE NOW TRYING TO OBTAIN A LOAN TO FUND THE FIRST 18 MONTHS ONLY.

What more do you need for fks sake?

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:34 am

s@int wrote:What more proof do you need, Hicks and Gillett said they would have the funding and refinancing sorted out BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the last banking day was Friday. They still haven't sorted it. They said they would not put the debt against the club, they have now admitted that the ONLY WAY IS BY PUTTING THE DEBT AGAINST THE CLUB.

They said that they would take a loan out to fund the stadium, THEY NO LONGER CAN OBTAIN A LOAN TO FUND THE STADIUM, AND ARE NOW TRYING TO OBTAIN A LOAN TO FUND THE FIRST 18 MONTHS ONLY.

And rafa couldnt get a hold of them because they were away on business. Rafa was getting frustrated, as were the supporters. Like ive said before they are businessmen. They have many businesses. Like it or not Liverpool FC are another business commodity tied in with the rest and therefore the money made from one business ties in with the other. LFC are a link with the other businesses that they own. The stadium will be built, the money will be there to buy players. If Liverpool are to be successful in the future the money made will be funded for the businesses they own elsewhere just as the money they are currently making will be funded towards LFC. Lets wait and see for ourselves before believing the media claptrap.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:37 am

Kharhaz wrote:
s@int wrote:What more proof do you need, Hicks and Gillett said they would have the funding and refinancing sorted out BEFORE CHRISTMAS, the last banking day was Friday. They still haven't sorted it. They said they would not put the debt against the club, they have now admitted that the ONLY WAY IS BY PUTTING THE DEBT AGAINST THE CLUB.

And rafa couldnt get a hold of them because they were away on business. Rafa was getting frustrated, as were the supporters. Like ive said before they are businessmen. They have many businesses. Like it or not Liverpool FC are another business commodity tied in with the rest and therefore the money made from one business ties in with the other. LFC are a link with the other businesses that they own. The stadium will be built, the money will be there to buy players. If Liverpool are to be successful in the future the money made will be funded for the businesses they own elsewhere just as the money they are currently making will be funded towards LFC. Lets wait and see for ourselves before believing the media claptrap.

Those are not media claptrap mate, those are statements of intent, WHICH HAVENT BEEN KEPT.

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:41 am

We will see come the end of January. In this case I hope I am right.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:45 am

Well whether we choose to believe the "media claptrap" is of course entirely upto each poster, but clearly if true these revelations are worrying. Whether or not the usually extremely well-informed Brascombe has access to the inside story on this one remians to be seen, but it certainly appears that whichever way you look at it the Americans haven't quite got as much cash as we were led to believe. Already promises re refinancing have been broken, and I can't help thinking that perhaps their motivation for buying the club was driven not by a desire to take the whole entity forward, but simply by a judgement that in all probability the whole thing was undervalued and that a swift killing was possible.

If they can sell it on and make a tidy sum (and it will need to be many many millions I would suspect) before quietly fecking off into the sunset, it might just do everyone a favour.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:46 am

Kharhaz wrote:We will see come the end of January. In this case I hope I am right.

How can you be right? They have already failed to keep their promises. If they eventually get the funding they have still broken their word and lied to everyone. Once a virgin has had sex, even if she then abstains she can't get her virginity back.  :D

Postby Kharhaz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:50 am

s@int wrote:
Kharhaz wrote:We will see come the end of January. In this case I hope I am right.

How can you be right? They have already failed to keep their promises. If they eventually get the funding they have still broken their word and lied to everyone. Once a virgin has had sex, even if she then abstains she can't get her virginity back.  :D

:laugh:

Lets just have patience and see what happens. I dont think its as bad as the press make out. They may just pull a rabbit out the hat, lets wait and see.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Manhattan Project » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:16 am

If the Americans leave, I have a feeling DIC might just slide in.

It's a risky move in this day and age, DIC will need protection.

It's a very sensitive situation that could be potentially painful for DIC.

I'm not sure whether this DIC is big enough for the job.

china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Dec 23, 2007 4:54 am

Cut our losses with these two this pathetic saga has gone on long enough.

David Moores should not have sold our club to these two fools who havent got a pot to p!ss in never mind run our club from over the pond.

And Klinnsman can get to feck aswell, dont get me wrong I like the fella cause he's a likeable man but I dont want him to be our manager.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:12 am

No smoke without fire.

The running of this club is very worrying, I fear alot of people dont recognise this and will let it slide by.

The club is still in a strong position, its make or break time for us financially. We can become a powerhouse but we need the right groundings.

Current ways are not good enough.

Rick Parry??? Should of gone ong ago. And judging by recent events David Moores and the share holders have alot to answer for.
I was happy with the takeover, but only because there was no objection from the Liverpool board room.

We need a new stadium and investment soon as, no :censored: around. We have :censored: around for 17 years.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby LegBarnes » Sun Dec 23, 2007 5:26 am

The Manhattan Project wrote:If the Americans leave, I have a feeling DIC might just slide in.

It's a risky move in this day and age, DIC will need protection.

It's a very sensitive situation that could be potentially painful for DIC.

I'm not sure whether this DIC is big enough for the job.

haha am i only one that got that classic  :buttrock
LegBarnes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion