Rafa and the americans - Brilliant article

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 27, 2007 11:57 am

The times Article

Rafael Benitez kept blowing his nose as he spoke to the press on Thursday. His complaints about the transfer inertia of his football club’s hierarchy were caustic; a savaging with sniffles. In the lobby of Athens’ Pentelikon Hotel sat Steven Gerrard, ashen, bent forward, chin resting on folded arms. The strain of losing a Champions League final attacked manager and captain physically.

You are supposed never to walk alone at Liverpool. You celebrate and suffer as one, but infuriating Benitez was a feeling he had been deserted. Tom Hicks, George Gillett and their families were already on their way home to the US. Benitez made it clear he no longer believed Rick Parry could deliver signings: what about Gillett’s son, Foster, installed by the new owners to run Anfield? “Yes,” glowered Benitez, “but he is not here now.” Foster was on the plane with Pops. When did Benitez need him? “Today.”

Liverpool finished 2006-07 not only trophyless but with a power vacuum swirling at its heart. Benitez’s polemic about the need to spend big and change the club’s “structure” after defeat by Milan was more than just an attack on Parry, as it was reported. The manager has succeeded, with his usual painstaking effort, in coaxing at least two “top-class targets” to the verge of joining Liverpool, only to have to keep them waiting while superiors dally. Benitez spent a long time hinting to journalists at the root problem until finally being pinned down. He kept saying he trusted Hicks and Gillett’s promise to fund signings, so why no transfers? Is the money in Liverpool’s bank account, but there is nobody to sign the cheques? “Okay,” Benitez nodded. “You know.”

The manager has grown apart from Parry, Anfield’s chief executive, over several issues, including Liverpool being committed to two friendly tournaments, in Holland and Asia, this preseason. Benitez suggested Parry no longer has authority to push transfers through. Foster Gillett will not be Liverpool’s managing director until August. With Parry a lame duck and power held by absentee barons without their own man on the ground, the club feels paralysed. “We can improve the squad, but we have to do it now. It’s a crucial time. We can’t say, ‘We’ll see what happens in August’. Then you will lose your targets,” Benitez said.

Background
Fans feared Athens tragedy
He may seem like the avuncular propietario of a neighbourhood tapas bar but Benitez is as political as Jose Mourinho. On the surface throwing barbs at Gillett and Hicks seems unwise, given the my-way-or-the-high-way culture of American business leaders, but Benitez’s attack was carefully worked out. The Americans’ strategy relies on building a new Anfield, with a 70,000-plus capacity, and they need the fans with them. But the supporters are with Benitez and so are the players, Jamie Carragher and Gerrard especially.

Rather than admonishing him, the Americans have already moved to placate Benitez. Late on Friday there was a transatlantic conference call involving Foster and George Gillett, Hicks and his son Tommy, Parry and Benitez. “We had a long call and agreed on actions to be taken with our own players and with possible new players and we are all comfortable with our plan,” said Tom Hicks. He excused Benitez’s ire in Athens: “He was very upset the day after the match.”

Benitez’s challenge to the owners is to back up their words with action. The current stasis is affecting Liverpool’s most important players. Despite reports that Gerrard and Carragher had extended their contracts, nothing has been finalised. There is delay over new deals for Xabi Alonso and Jose Reina. On Wednesday night in Athens, Benitez held a powwow with Gerrard, Carragher, Reina and Alonso. They are his inner circle, the players around whom he sees Liverpool’s future being built. “We were talking about the game, the quality of the opposition players, the tactics we had. Xabi, Reina, Gerrard, Carra want to know that you have good players ready to sign. The problem is if we spend time, if we waste time, we can’t sign the players we want,” said Benitez.

Were Gerrard and company as “frustrated and angry” as he? “Yes. The players must be happy and have confidence in the team.” Should Liverpool worry about losing some of the quartet if the impasse over new contracts continues? “Could be. Because they are good players and they could have some offers.”

Benitez is about to go on holiday for a week but will continue working via his mobile phone and said he would be “disappointed” if at least one new signing is not clinched by the time he gets back. His previous three seasons at Liverpool make him pessimistic. A lack of funds in the pre-American era, coupled with what Benitez sees as Parry’s less-than-dynamic modus operandi, saw the manager put a deal in place for Nemanja Vidic, only to be gazumped by Manchester United. Simao Sabrosa was so keen to join Liverpool last summer he was sending messages to Benitez until transfer deadline day, but ended up staying at Benfica. He is back on Benitez’s shopping list along with Gabriel Milito, Jefferson Farfan, David Silva, David Villa and Samuel Eto’o.

Athens exposed the best and worst of the present Liverpool. Through effort rather than technical flourishes they had Milan pinned down until Filippo Inzaghi’s lucky opener. Yet they are also limited, lacking invention and personnel to alter a defensive gameplan at 1-0 down.

If Benitez gets the big money and quick action he wants, especially after being so bolshie, it will be his make-or-break moment. The idea he has already spent £100m is creative accounting by his critics. Benitez’s net spending is £44m over three seasons. For that he has twice finished above Arsenal and won as many trophies as Manchester United. “You must be clear. I am happy with the new owners. I trust them and they want to finish as high as possible because they are winners – this is one thing I like about them. But they need to understand the business here. We have just signed Lucas Leiva, a top-class midfielder, 20, the Golden Boot in Brazil. There was another big club after him but we did a fantastic job. It’s not always a question of the amount you pay, but how quickly you move.”

-------------------------------------------------------

Brilliant Article and raised some interesting points:

* 2 top class targets are on the verge of signing for Liverpool - who could they be, Benitez has worked wonders to get it all sorted this quickly.

*Rick Parry - surely after the Athens fiasco and the "hook and crook" comment and Benitez becoming frustrated with him, his postion is untennable? It says Rafa has grown apart from Parry?

*His quartet of players - Xabi Alonso, Gerrard, Reina and Carra. SO these are Benitez's main guys at Anfield, the one's he talks to about stuff. Nice to see Xabi's name there so that means all talk of him leaving is kak. Reina was a bit of a surprise and only adds to my belief he is rafa's love child from the swinging 60's  :D

*Big club after Lucas? Who? Nice to see we nicked him first and from what I have been told from people who follow Brazilian football religiously, he is more like Gerrard than a DM. He can play anywhere in the mdfield comfortably and is more of a Gerrard than people can imagine, also have you seen the past winners of the award he won, the  Bola de Ouro?

2005 :  Carlos Tévez (Corinthians)
2004 :  Robinho (Santos FC)
2003 :  Alex (Cruzeiro)
2002 :  Kaká (São Paulo FC)
2001 :  Alex Mineiro (Atlético Paranaense)
2000 :  Romario (Vasco da Gama)

* Foster Gillett  - so this guys going to me the main face round Anfield and Melwood doing the day to day tasks that Rick normally does, not the two billioniares, but lets hope he has more conviction that Parry ever had.

*EDIT - Oh and Rafa is expecting a major signing to be signed before the end of the week  :wwww  . Who could it be? How much ? Lots of questions, all positive though.
Last edited by Rafa D on Sun May 27, 2007 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Sun May 27, 2007 12:32 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:The idea he has already spent £100m is creative accounting by his critics. Benitez’s net spending is £44m over three seasons. For that he has twice finished above Arsenal and won as many trophies as Manchester United.

I'm glad this bit was pointed out. Will make reference to this link Benitez transfers, so people remember how much money he really has had to re-build a side -- and by no means does it compare to the kind of cash that the scum and chelski can afford on 1-2 players just to strengthen a side.

3 years is a long time to put up with mediocrity in today's world and Rafa has every right to be concerned. It may end up being a case of "be careful what you wish for since you might just get it ..." as far as the money is concerned, but if it takes a Rafa public rant for the yanks to start making the necessary organisational changes, then it is a step forward in bringing this great club back on track and winning league titles.
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 27, 2007 1:09 pm

Simari wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:The idea he has already spent £100m is creative accounting by his critics. Benitez’s net spending is £44m over three seasons. For that he has twice finished above Arsenal and won as many trophies as Manchester United.

I'm glad this bit was pointed out. Will make reference to this link Benitez transfers, so people remember how much money he really has had to re-build a side -- and by no means does it compare to the kind of cash that the scum and chelski can afford on 1-2 players just to strengthen a side.

3 years is a long time to put up with mediocrity in today's world and Rafa has every right to be concerned. It may end up being a case of "be careful what you wish for since you might just get it ..." as far as the money is concerned, but if it takes a Rafa public rant for the yanks to start making the necessary organisational changes, then it is a step forward in bringing this great club back on track and winning league titles.

And how much prize money have we had after reaching 2 Champions League Finals in 3 years? Plus the lower F.A Cup prize money, I reckon it covers that £44m figure quite easily.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun May 27, 2007 1:10 pm

I cant find any videos on Youtube on this Levia kid.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Sun May 27, 2007 1:27 pm

bavlondon wrote:I cant find any videos on Youtube on this Levia kid.

They are there mate, they are over on RAWK, put Gremio Lucas or something similar.
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun May 27, 2007 1:29 pm

Ah ha nice one mate

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Sun May 27, 2007 1:32 pm

Last edited by tubby on Sun May 27, 2007 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby flamingpoe » Sun May 27, 2007 1:58 pm

this lucas leita is without a doubt as he has so aptly been called "the brazilian gerrard", and ladies and gentleman wats better than one stevie, yes u got it 2 stevies :p
flamingpoe

Postby RedBlood » Sun May 27, 2007 2:33 pm

he looks very promising, and ive just read in the paper that rafa will have 80million to spend this summer, but it is a sunday paper so i dont want to get too excited
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sun May 27, 2007 3:27 pm

Interesting article - refreshing change from some of the sensationalist stuff we've seen quoted in other papers over the last few days.
ivor_the_injun

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun May 27, 2007 4:56 pm

Let's hope this doesn't all go pear shaped. The last thing we need is Rafa getting the boot for being outspoken.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun May 27, 2007 4:59 pm

Lando_Griffin wrote:Let's hope this doesn't all go pear shaped. The last thing we need is Rafa getting the boot for being outspoken.

Don't think it will come to that somehow mate but it does have a few worrying paralels with Rafa's exit from Valencia (atleast according the Paco Loret book on his time there).
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 27, 2007 6:42 pm

Scottbot wrote:
Lando_Griffin wrote:Let's hope this doesn't all go pear shaped. The last thing we need is Rafa getting the boot for being outspoken.

Don't think it will come to that somehow mate but it does have a few worrying paralels with Rafa's exit from Valencia (atleast according the Paco Loret book on his time there).

Don't know about him getting the boot, I think the bigger danger is of him walking away. The situation was different I believe that made him leave Valencia. I seem to remember reading that there was some interference from a director at Valencia but more worryingly it was also something to do with signings as well.

On the surface it does appear that Rafa is in a very powerful position currently at the club. Gillett & Hicks have clearly stated that they are wanting Rafa to guide them in the direction that the club needs to go to return to the top. If anyone is likely to get the boot it will be Parry, although I can see them possibly finding him some other role to fill as there are rumours his job was guaranteed for at least 2 years as part of the take over deal.  :no
I personally think that once Foster Gillett is able to take his position over here Parry should only remain as a consultant to advise on certain matters.

It perhaps shows a difference in the characters of Rafa & Parry that in the coming week Rafa is going away on holiday but will remain in contact by phone trying to sort out transfers whereas in the past Parry has disappeared for three weeks at this time of year and can't even be contacted by smoke signals never mind telephone (according to another forum). I can imagine that the job of chief-executive of a massive football club is very stressful and hard work. No doubt the guy deserves and can afford to bugger off for three weeks at a time but it seems totally wrong that when it is HE who negotiates and sanctions the transfers & contracts, goes off on holiday at this time of year and can't be contacted.

The club maybe needs to make a fresh start and certainly at the boardroom level needs to take the oppurtunity that the take over represents to do that. That for me entails making a clean break from the old regime and in these interviews Rafa seems to be hinting that Parry going is the best way for that.
Last edited by RUSHIE#9 on Sun May 27, 2007 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:04 pm

RUSHIE#9 wrote:It perhaps shows a difference in the characters of Rafa & Parry that in the coming week Rafa is going away on holiday but will remain in contact by phone trying to sort out transfers whereas Parry disappears for three weeks at a time and can't even be contacted by smoke signals never mind telephone. I can imagine that the job of chief-executive of a massive football club is very stressful and hard work. No doubt the guy deserves and can afford to bugger off for three weeks at a time but it seems totally wrong that when it is HE who negotiates and sanctions the transfers & contracts, goes off on holiday at this time of year and can't be contacted.

The club maybe needs to make a fresh start and certainly at the boardroom level needs to take the oppurtunity that the take over represents to do that. That for me entails making a clean break from the old regime and Rafa seems to be hinting that Parry going is the best way for that.

Do you have a source for the things you claim about Parry not being contactable and Rafa wanting him to leave, surely Parry will be contactable, it's a busy time and the chief exec. is the one who SHOULD be most busy.
LFC2007

Postby RUSHIE#9 » Sun May 27, 2007 7:14 pm

LFC2007 wrote:
RUSHIE#9 wrote:It perhaps shows a difference in the characters of Rafa & Parry that in the coming week Rafa is going away on holiday but will remain in contact by phone trying to sort out transfers whereas Parry disappears for three weeks at a time and can't even be contacted by smoke signals never mind telephone. I can imagine that the job of chief-executive of a massive football club is very stressful and hard work. No doubt the guy deserves and can afford to bugger off for three weeks at a time but it seems totally wrong that when it is HE who negotiates and sanctions the transfers & contracts, goes off on holiday at this time of year and can't be contacted.

The club maybe needs to make a fresh start and certainly at the boardroom level needs to take the oppurtunity that the take over represents to do that. That for me entails making a clean break from the old regime and Rafa seems to be hinting that Parry going is the best way for that.

Do you have a source for the things you claim about Parry not being contactable and Rafa wanting him to leave, surely Parry will be contactable, it's a busy time and the chief exec. is the one who SHOULD be most busy.

Admittedly it's only hear say taken from another forum (forgot to point that out  :oops: ). I'll edit the old post to point that out for people. However it did seem to be to be well known amongst the fans on that site that when Gerrard was wanting to sign a new contract back in 2005 Parry had gone off on holiday to the Caribbean for three weeks and couldn't be contacted.

Unfortunately I can't find the thread on the other forum now to link to.
RUSHIE#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion