MAN CITY VS LIVERPOOL - match build up, live updates, reaction

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby GOAT » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:34 am

hmm maybe we are gettin a bit ahead of ourselves now? we do this at the start of every season or when we have a good run, saying we can challenge chelsea, challenge for the title and we are usually disappointed. Dont get me wrong we are on an excellent run now and if it continues we should challenge the top 3 and i believe if we bring in the right players and continue like this we will challenge them but we shouldnt really get carried away and say we can win the title now because it could all end very easily
Image  Image

YNWA
GOAT

Postby Red squirrel » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:47 am

No ones saying we'll win the league but its good to be positive for the future and why not we're Champions of Europe and thats nothing to be scoffed at.
As Benitez says with the right mentality we can win things and that goes for the supporters as well.
Lets give them some positivety back as its well deserved..
Red squirrel

Postby Theo@home » Sun Nov 27, 2005 1:59 am

TheoRacle wrote:I predict a 0-1 win to us.  We'll come out on top in terms of posession and total shots.  Our defence will prevail and limit their on goal attempts meaning even though our goals per game are similar, we'll sneak the win.

Garcia to score.

Man City     Liverpool

Shots     3              8
on goal   1              6
Fouls      13            13
Offsides  6              4
Offsides  7              2
Possession47%        53%
Yellow cards0          2
Red cards 0             0
Saves      3             3

Garcia to score? Well Riise playing in a postition Garcia may have done.

Who is this TheoRacle?  :D
Theo@home

Postby andy_g » Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:26 am

yes, who could TheoRacle possibly be, Theo@home??

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby azriahmad » Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:06 am

Did any of you guys saw the look on Cisse's face as he was substituted? He looked bewildered/can't believe it at first, shaking his head and as he was walking off, was annoyed. Cisse missed a very good chance in the first half.

As a comparison, Crouch played his heart out and did his fair share of defensive duties - he even headed clear a Man City attack from the penalty area.

Benitez wants his strikers to track back and defend if needed. Cisse does not do this enough and his inconsistency in front of goal does not help his cause. We started with 2 strikers and Cisse was not played out of position in the wings.

If he starts to show tantrums, it might be the end of his Anfield adventure.
azriahmad
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:04 am

Player Ratings:

Pepe Reina: 8 Rock solid, kept another clean sheet, even though save attempts were made far and few in between, much to the credits of his defenders.
Steve Finnan: 8 Very consistent on the right, limiting his opposing number no attacking opportunities at all. Decent attacking contribution too.
Jamie Carragher: 9 His usual self, epitomizing team spirit. Worked his socks off and was again present in every Man City attack.
Sami Hyypia: 9 Rock solid pairing with JC and won almost every aeriel threat posed by Man City.
Stephen Warnock: 6 Not too bad, part of a rock solid defence but was skinned a few times by his opposing number.
Steven Gerrard: 9 My man of the match. Ran his socks off and gave 120% everytime he felt the team needs some inspiration. Intrigate touches, one of which created the goal scoring opportunity for Riise.
Momo Sissoko: 7 Very solid and tough in midfield. Showed few great touches but should improve on his tackle accuracy. Has great promises to be a world class central midfielder.
Dietmar Hamann: 7 Once again very reliable. Orchestrated the midfield with slick passing, however should get involved more.
John Arne Riise: 8 Quite industrious on the left. Showed great intent in his attacking forays and a superb rocket of a shot that gave us the only goal of day.
Djibril Cisse: 5 Miserable to say the least, although he might be subbed off a bit too early for his part. Never got involved in the first half, wasted a good goal scoring opportunity, was very wasteful of possession, and got a yellow card for his first defensive duty. Needs to get his act together before he gets shipped away in the January transfer window.
Peter Crouch: 6 17th game and counting and not a single goal yet. Did however show great touches and was involved in the attack much more then his attack pairing. Should get himself into more goal scoring positions and net his debut goal.
Harry Kewell: 8 Showed great effort when he came on and displayed glimpses of what he is capable of doing. Some sublime touches and was definately a fruitful substitution for the ever useless Cisse.
Luis Garcia: N/A Was not involved much after being subbed on.
Fernando Morientes: N/A Same as above.

Team for Sunderland:

Reina

Josemi  Carragher  Hyypia  Riise
                  Sissoko
Gerrard        Garcia         Kewell

Morientes  Crouch

SUBS: Dudek, Cisse, Alonso, Finnan, Warnock.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:16 am

hmm maybe we are gettin a bit ahead of ourselves now? we do this at the start of every season or when we have a good run, saying we can challenge chelsea, challenge for the title and we are usually

It's been 3 years since the last time we've even come close to this kind of run, so to stay that we get ahead of ourselves after every good run is a bit off the mark.

However, most of us are aware that we can't take anything for granted and that games like against Sunderland are as important just like the rest. Although we outclass them on paper, football is obviously not played on paper :D

McCarthy said today after Birmingham that he excepts us to spank Sunderland, I don't know about you but if I was a player and I heard a manager say that then I would be fired up for that game.

Overall, it's an important game even it though it may not seem like it. Another thing thats interesting is that this game is the game in hand [although its not against Charlton or Arsenal] and we didn't win any of our in hand games last season. [both draws, v Pompey and Blackburn].
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:46 am

Fu.cking great result today, make no mistake we HAVE turned a corner. Man City are a good side and we turned them over on their own turf.  We arent a great side yet but we're easily as good as man u or arsenal this season. 

We will be in the top 4 this season and probably in the top 2 in my opinion.  We arent strong enough to overcome chelsea but anyone else is fair game.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedRoots » Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:15 am

I'm praying for the return of Xabi, Didi and Momo's lack of control, creativity and distribution in the centre has been shocking, Gerrard had to do their job for them in the second half, I think Didi should go in January he's been a great player for us over the years but his time's up, we can use Zenden as cover if he leaves.
RedRoots

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:16 am

Outstanding defensive performance. Simply outstanding. If we play like this, no team will score against us....we just have to get a goal at the other end, and it's game, set & match..... :buttrock
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby A.B. » Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:36 am

I'm not getting excited just yet. Hopefully we'll see Alonso against Sunderland.
YNWA - DrummerPhil
Gone but not forgotten
R.I.P.
A.B.
LFC Elite Member

Postby NiftyNeil » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:46 am

I'm absolutely thrilled at our result at City. I'd have been happy with a draw, but the full 3 points are fantastic. This is the type of game we were losing last year, and it shows how far we have come.
It's just a shame that we are off to Japan soon, just as we are making some headway in the league.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The_Rock » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:06 am

RedRoots wrote:I'm praying for the return of Xabi, Didi and Momo's lack of control, creativity and distribution in the centre has been shocking, Gerrard had to do their job for them in the second half, I think Didi should go in January he's been a great player for us over the years but his time's up, we can use Zenden as cover if he leaves.

Hamann has been one of our better players this season....U noe why hyppia and the rest of our defence is playing so well ? It is mainly because of the cover hamann gives the defence. I will keep hamann until the end of next season.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby primodua » Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:09 am

I dunno bout y'all but I strongly believe that Cisse IS our weakest link. Don't get me wrong here. I love the guy but the way I look at it, we do need another option to Cisse.  We need the "right" striker to liberate morientes and crouch. After series of Morientes-Cisse and Cisse-Crouch pairing, I still do not see the effective collaboration. Statistically, crouch and morientes are more effective within the box than cisse. How many goals do you often see cisse scoring within the goal area? Despite crouch goalscoring issue, crouch is definitely one class higher than cisse in the same picture. Luckily, we have effective midfielders that are able to compensate the goalscoring vacuum.
Watching the Betis game prompt me about the joaqin guy. We need a strong character like him. Agility, craftiness and most impportantly HEART!
Au revoir Cisse.

eat liverpool, drink liverpool, sleep liverpool
primodua

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sun Nov 27, 2005 10:01 am

Au revoir Cisse.

No Au revoir to Cisse.
LiverpoolMadman

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion