BIRMINGHAM CITY vs LIVERPOOL: 26/04/08 3pm - Match build up and Discussion here

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:56 pm

Average game, we didn't come out of the blocks first half, and for a short period second-half.

Pennant was a livewire for us, the lad's simply world-class, better than Ronaldo.

Hopefully Insua will get to feature in our remaining two league games, I liked the look of him again today.

Not much to analyse really, fourth is secure and that's the most important point.
LFC2007

Postby maguskwt » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 am

LFC2007 wrote:Pennant was a livewire for us, the lad's simply world-class, better than Ronaldo.

:D
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedBlood » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:39 am

exactly
RedBlood
LFC Super Member

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:20 am

maguskwt wrote:
LFC2007 wrote:Pennant was a livewire for us, the lad's simply world-class, better than Ronaldo.

:D

He was absolutely brilliant today though.  I haven't seen a winger have such a great game in a long time.  I think that the guy is responding well to Rafa's comments and he definitely wants to stay here.  If he starts playing like this, then Bentley can :censored: off.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:52 am

LFC2007 wrote:Average game, we didn't come out of the blocks first half, and for a short period second-half.

Pennant was a livewire for us, the lad's simply world-class, better than Ronaldo.

Hopefully Insua will get to feature in our remaining two league games, I liked the look of him again today.

Not much to analyse really, fourth is secure and that's the most important point.

I hope the comment on Pennant was tongue in cheek. We were the better team except we were too slack on both their goals. Skrtel lost his man while ball-watching for their first and then conceded a needless free-kick for the second - probably out of frustration. Believe it or not I'm glad Crouch scored, it does give the airheads a bit of ammo in the debate as to Crouch's worth (thankfully just TA blanks), but it means he will be confident ahead of the Chelsea game.

I trust Rafa does not decide to base team selection on this game though, while Brum did scrap they are not 18th for no reason and villa did just stuff them 5-1 to put it into perspective. Rafa had stuck to a successful formula in Europe, until he was swayed by a soft league win and then playing Crouch and changing the formation gave Arsenal a big early advantage. Crouch has only one goal in a dozen appearances against Chelsea, that in the Community Shield, and we caused Chelsea a lot of problems at Anfield so Rafa would be taking a big gamble changing too much. For sure Riise shouldn't start, but the midfield and attack should stay the same as Tuesday.

The bitters have to go to the Emirates, barring an end of season farce result they will drop points there so I think fourth was secured a week or so ago. I wouldn't bet against villa getting something today

EDIT : by the way this was Rafa's 50th draw in charge of Liverpool out of 236 games (21.2%)
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:16 am

Bad Bob wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:Did not really bother abt this game and onlyy started watching in the 2nd half . Well were down 1-0 and the foul which led up to their 2nd goal was actually supposed to  be a freekick for us but thats footie . I had this feeling that larsson would score from the free kick and he did . So after that , pennant had a stormer , put in some lovely crosses , beat players so well and what a run to set up the first goal , without him today we would have lost , good finish by crouch also . 2nd goal took abit of luck the header was deflected but a goal is a goal . I have to say plessis did very well , some really good and neat passes , played some nice long balls , if i recall 1 straight to pennant's feet and it was more of a shot . Lucas i reckon was his worst game for LFC , made some decent passes but like most of the team was not in it today . Riise played well also , looked like the only player who wanted to score before pennant stepped up . MOM Pennant

Babel Vs Pennant

Left winger Vs right , clearly they play on different side and the rock suggested that pennant shud start on wenesday , but i beg to differ , if pennant does start in place of who? Babel , he plays on the left whereas pennant plays on the right , pennant may have the skills but babel has the pace and certain skills . So you may argue that both are right footed but babel has been playing left all season and is more familiar with that role then pennant .

Kuyt vs pennant
Both are right wingers but tbh , i rather see kuyt , hard worked and we are going to need that against chelsea at stamford bridge , also he pops up with the odd goal now and then

Pennant has been good in his last 3 games or so and it shows as long as u play a player regularly he performs like hw jermaine has done . He should start the final 2 league games and that would tell us if he deserves another season or not . My vote is yes

Insua , good game for him to get experience , defensively was ok and though he put some good crosses in should also play the last 2 games if we progress into the cl final, roll on the chavs

A decent result considering the hole we dug for ourselves.  Not nearly enough effort from many of the lads, though.  Fair play to Pennant, he was the best player on the park.  As for the idea of maybe giving him a game against Chelsea on Wednesday, IMO, it might be worth a gamble.  I would, however, play him in his natural position and switch Dirk over to the left in place of Babel.  Pennant's run Ashley Cole a little ragged in the past and I think he relishes that match-up.  On the left, Dirk could keep pestering Ferreira into mistakes and also cut inside on his right foot, with Riise providing width on the overlap.  Just a thought.

Good point mate , never really thought abt that , yea it could be a good idea but i've never seen kuyt play on the left but there's always a first time for everything . If needed babel can come on and finish the game off with his pace where defenders will be tired . 3 games in a row pennant has had good games , maybe its time to start playing him again like u suggested
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:19 am

:D  He performs against top teams too , chelsea last season and Ac milan in the final last season unlike that sh!te ronaldo  :laugh:
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:19 am

Toffeehater wrote:3 games in a row pennant has had good games , maybe its time to start playing him again like u suggested

That in itself doesn't make sense, he's "playing well" so maybe we should play him..............  ???

But take into account two of the opposition - Fulham (19th) and Brum (18th). Don't recall him playing that impressively against Arsenal, I might be wrong.

Anyway Kuyt has been playing well wide right and the team has in the new formation so why change it simply because Pennant shows he's a world beater if the world only includes cr ap teams??!?!?!
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:21 am

Owzat wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:3 games in a row pennant has had good games , maybe its time to start playing him again like u suggested

That in itself doesn't make sense, he's "playing well" so maybe we should play him..............  ???

But take into account two of the opposition - Fulham (19th) and Brum (18th). Don't recall him playing that impressively against Arsenal, I might be wrong.

Anyway Kuyt has been playing well wide right and the team has in the new formation so why change it simply because Pennant shows he's a world beater if the world only includes cr ap teams??!?!?!

Just a suggestion !!
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Simari » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:22 am

Well...

WE could change our formation for the return leg, go 0-1 down and win 4-2 !!!

Either way, we will have to change our approach slightly, since we're in that familiar position of having to score a goal, yet again to get through :)
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby Simari » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:28 am

Win aside - I'd be happy with a 1-1 full-time, and ET / Penalties. Judging from the way that Chelski played Mancs yesterday - we have a massive job on our hands.

They will rush out of the blocks again against us. I don't buy into any talk about them being exhausted. These guys are professionals, this is what they live for. I wouldn't be surprised if we were on the backfoot re: 50-50 decisions also.

Honestly, being selfish here - I hope it stays 0-0 till late and we nick a late winner. If not that, hope they take the lead 1-0 and we pull back with a late equaliser.

I don't think I can watch us trying to defend a 0-1 lead at the Bridge. That scoreline will be nerve-wrecking !!!!
Simari
LFC Super Member

Postby NANNY RED » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:30 am

Just because he played well against Birmingham and yes it was Birmingham there would be no chance i would replace him in Kuyts position, Kuyt has been outstanding in that position and hes not even a natural winger. Do you see Pennant tracking back like Kuyt and helping the Defence no . Kuyt fills in as right back often giving who ever is playing there the chance to go inside and help the centre halfs. Pennant has nowhere near the engine to get up and down the field like Kuyt. Also his tacklin and ball winning well lets just say hed give to many free kicks. And thats something i dont want.

Im not saying Pennant is no good   :p but i would not play him in front of Kuyt on Wed. Kuyt has earned the right to start there .
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:37 am

NANNY RED wrote:Just because he played well against Birmingham and yes it was Birmingham there would be no chance i would replace him in Kuyts position, Kuyt has been outstanding in that position and hes not even a natural winger. Do you see Pennant tracking back like Kuyt and helping the Defence no . Kuyt fills in as right back often giving who ever is playing there the chance to go inside and help the centre halfs. Pennant has nowhere near the engine to get up and down the field like Kuyt. Also his tacklin and ball winning well lets just say hed give to many free kicks. And thats something i dont want.

Im not saying Pennant is no good   :p but i would not play him in front of Kuyt on Wed. Kuyt has earned the right to start there .

Agreed nanny

And on Simari's post , yes mate i rmb how nervous you were with the 1-0 lead at anfield up till the own goal :D
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:13 am

Well I haven't seen any of the Birmingham game at all, but regardless of how Pennant played against Birmingham, I wouldn't even consider starting him in front of Kuyt against Chelsea. We are going to have our erses against the wall for long periods in the second leg, and whats more we might actually need to score a goal at some point as well. Neither Kuyt nor Pennant are particularly adept at the scoring bit, though the Dutchman is probably about five times as likely to score as Pennant, while on the tracking back to defend bit, there is no comparison. When you add in the fact that in the fiery atmosphere Pennant would probably get himself sent off (as he almost did in the League game at Anfield) then it's a no brainer. Kuyt remains our best option on the right by a distance, which unfortunately doesn't say too much about our other "options" and "possibilities" there.
Last edited by bigmick on Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Sun Apr 27, 2008 10:25 am

Emerald Red wrote:
holylamb2006 wrote:
Yeah, but the Mancs and the press were blowing their loads over Nani and Anderson, as well as some people on these forums. All hype if you ask me. People were saying how it was a poor signing by Rafa. For 4 million, it's an inspired one if you ask me. Certainly makes the signing of Nani look like a farce that it was

Yes but Benyoun has been here for a while and is much much older ???

Nani imo is miles better thn benayoun .... due to the fact nani has to settle into england and is quicker and more skill and better shot

Proves nothing. In my opinion, if you sign a player for 17 million, then he better be up to scratch in his first season regardless. He should be world class. He isn't.

It's an intersting one this trying to compare a bloke who cost 4 million quid (I must admit I thought it was five but whatever) to one who cost 17 million or so.

I personally don't think Benayoun is anywhere near good enough for a top team and was a poor signing, whereas I think Nani has it in his locker to become a top player. One was therefore a total waste of money in my view, whereas the other has an opportunity to justify his price tag. I don't FWIW think that too many people will be calling the signing of Nani a "farce" given time.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion