Liverpool vs middlesbrough - Possible line-ups, results, live updates

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby El Nino_#9 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:44 pm

Liverpool kick-off the 2005/06 Premiership season with a trip to the Riverside Stadium to take on Steve McClaren's Middlesbrough.

Boro qualified for the UEFA Cup last season after they finished seventh just pipping Manchester City on the final day after Reds legend Robbie Fowler missed a last minute penalty.

Bolo Zenden is hoping to shake off a thigh injury so he can return to a club where he won the Middlesbrough supporters player of the season award last term.

Despite the loss of Zenden McClaren has improved his strikeforce with the aquisition of Yakubu from Portsmouth. Yakubu has been partnering Jimmy Floyd-Hasselbaink in pre-season with Mark Viduka a substitute. They certainly have plenty of goals about them while at the back the ever safe Gareth Southgate had a great 2004/05 season.

Last season Liverpool lost 2-0 at the Riverside but it was in controversial circumstances. Luis Garcia had a goal wrongly disallowed for off-side before Zenden scored in the second half against his future club to make it 2-0 and game over.

For Liverpool's last victory in Teeside you have to go back to March 2002 and a 2-1 victory courtesy of goals from Emile Heskey and John Arne Riise, and Nicolas Anelka was man of the match.

Yakubu is set to make his competitive debut for Middlesbrough but Mark Viduka (back and hamstring) and Gaizka Mendieta (knee) are in contention.

Ugo Ehiogu should shake off a groin injury, but Chris Riggott (knee) and Stuart Parnaby (knee) are both out.

Liverpool hope to have Bolo Zenden back to face his former club after having treatment for a thigh strain.

Josemi (thigh), Peter Crouch (hamstring), Djimi Traore (Thigh) and Jerzy Dudek (dislocated elbow) are out along with Florent Sinama-Pongolle and Neil Mellor.

------------------------------------------------------------

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Warnock, Zenden, Luis Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Sissoko, Carson, Baros, Whitbread, Morientes, Cisse, Potter, Barragan.

Middlesbrough (from): Schwarzer, Jones, Reiziger, Queudrue, Southgate, Ehiogu, Riggott, Bates, Boateng, Parlour, Downing, Doriva, Mendieta, Morrison, Hasselbaink, Yakubu, Viduka, Nemeth, Maccarone.

------------------------------------------------------------

I personally can't wait for our season to kick off! Hopefully we will get off to a winning start as we have not won at boro for a while! These are the kind of games that Liverpool always struggle against and lose points on. Also, last season, we also developed a habit of losing away. I am confident that if we rectify this then we will have a fighting chance for second place.

I think our line-up will be-
..................Reina
Finnan...Hyypia...Carra...Riise
Garcia...Alonso...Gerrard..Zenden
............Nando...Cisse

I think the line-up will be very interesting. Will we start Baros due to the fact that he can't be cup-tied for playing in the premiership? Will we rest gerrard or alonso for a sissoko or hamann? will zenden score against his old club?
so many qusetions to be answered today! and i can't wait!!!!

C'mon rafa! Give us a start to the premiership worthy of european champions!!!!!

El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Luis Garcia » Sat Aug 13, 2005 12:29 am

Zenden is injured is he not?

I think Rafa is going to play the same team, as against Sofia, but isnt Zenden injured?

Its gonna be:

Reina

Finnan CArra Hyypia  Warnock

Garcia Gerrard Alonso  Riise

Cisse    Morientes

With Baros, Sissoko, Hamann coming on at some point.

i expect us to win  1-0 or 2-1.

if  not, it sets the tone for a struggle.
Luis Garcia

Postby MilitiaRusher » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:08 am

Liverpool (from): Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Warnock, Zenden, Luis Garcia, Hamann, Gerrard, Alonso, Riise, Sissoko, Carson, Baros, Whitbread, Morientes, Cisse, Potter, Barragan. - Squad list provided.

My team:
                  Reina

Finnan  Carragher  Hyypia  Riise

Garcia  Gerrard  Alonso  Zenden

Morientes  Cisse

SUBS: Carson, Baros, Sissoko/Hamann, Whitbread/Warnock, Potter.
MilitiaRusher
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 10:38 am

Luis Garcia wrote:Zenden is injured is he not?

I think Rafa is going to play the same team, as against Sofia, but isnt Zenden injured?

Its gonna be:

Reina

Finnan CArra Hyypia  Warnock

Garcia Gerrard Alonso  Riise

Cisse    Morientes

With Baros, Sissoko, Hamann coming on at some point.

i expect us to win  1-0 or 2-1.

if  not, it sets the tone for a struggle.

no zenden is said to fit for todays match.
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dward » Sat Aug 13, 2005 11:29 am

Zenden was injured for the match against CSKA, but he's back for today :nod
dward
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby drummerphil » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:53 pm

is there a live stream anywhere on the net
my reason for living

Bob Paisley : "Still we've had the hard times too - one year we finished second."

drummerphil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LiverpoolMadman » Sat Aug 13, 2005 4:06 pm

That's hot !!! :D

Anyway 0:2 to Liverpool
LiverpoolMadman

Postby romliv » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:30 pm

LiverpoolMadman wrote:That's hot !!! :D

Anyway 0:2 to Liverpool

Don't dream too much when you have the hard luck
when we don't have what we love, we must love what we have!
romliv

Postby El Nino_#9 » Sat Aug 13, 2005 7:43 pm

mods, you can delete this.
others are using a different thread!
cheers! :)
El Nino_#9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion