LIVERPOOL VS STOKE CITY - Build up

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:19 am

As Stoke haven't been in the top flight since 84/85, here are a few Liverpool vs Stoke stats (and one miscellaneous) :

- the last time Liverpool played Stoke in any competition was away in 2000/01 in the League Cup. Liverpool won 8-0

- Liverpool have played Stoke six times since their last league fixture, Liverpool have won four and the other two were draws - one was a nil nil. In those six fixtures there have been 21 goals.

- oddly enough, every season Liverpool have played Stoke since their last league meeting has ended with Liverpool in a final that season

2000/01 : League Cup - Liverpool Winners (Treble season)
1994/95 : League Cup - Liverpool Winners
1991/92 : League Cup - Liverpool won the FA Cup
1987/88 : FA Cup - Liverpool Runners-Up

And on cup omens, last time we played Crewe was in 1991/92 when we won the FA Cup, that also happening to be the last season we played both in the same season

- the last time Liverpool played Stoke in the league, the bitters won the league and Liverpool were runners-up. The following season Liverpool did the double............ I can't see the bitters winning the league, but if we finish second...............

- the last time Stoke were in the top flight, the following teams were then but aren't now :

5th Southampton
8th Sheffield Wednesday
9th Nottingham Forest
11th Watford
13th Luton Town
15th Leicester City
17th Ipswich Town
18th Coventry City
19th QPR
20th Norwich City

All bar Luton and Leicester are currently in the second tier.
Last edited by Owzat on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:26 am

Owzat wrote:5th Southampton
8th Sheffield Wednesday
9th Nottingham Forest
11th Watford
13th Luton Town
15th Leicester City
17th Ipswich Town
18th Coventry City
19th QPR
20th Norwich City

aaaahhhh, those were the days, eh? before football became a load of preposterous bollox

:D

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:45 am

andy_g wrote:
8th Sheffield Wednesday
9th Nottingham Forest
11th Watford
13th Luton Town
15th Leicester City
17th Ipswich Town
18th Coventry City
19th QPR
20th Norwich City

aaaahhhh, those were the days, eh? before football became a load of preposterous bollox

i always find it strange the way some teams completely fall to pieces once they get relegated like for example QPR or Wimbledon. They were good battling teams in the Prem but as soon as they got relegated they just imploded, I guess it's because they aren't earning as much any more or payers want to leave but you would still think they would be richer than clubs in the league they are joining.
heimdall

Postby wrighty (not mark!) » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:54 pm

heimdall wrote:
andy_g wrote:
8th Sheffield Wednesday
9th Nottingham Forest
11th Watford
13th Luton Town
15th Leicester City
17th Ipswich Town
18th Coventry City
19th QPR
20th Norwich City

i always find it strange the way some teams completely fall to pieces once they get relegated like for example QPR or Wimbledon. They were good battling teams in the Prem but as soon as they got relegated they just imploded, I guess it's because they aren't earning as much any more or payers want to leave but you would still think they would be richer than clubs in the league they are joining.

Yeah it wasn't too long ago that Leeds were a Top 4 side. But that's what you get when David O'Leary is your manager and you have a chairman who was spending like an 18yr old girl who found daddy's credit card.
wrighty (not mark!)
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:08 pm

Heres another interesting stat...

When we last played stoke and thumped them 8-0 only Carra & Hyppia remain from that team, but we had a played called Babbel back then, and we have one now...

..oooooooooooooooooo mystic Leej :D
Sex, drugs and sausage rolls!
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Judge » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:15 pm

so we'll win 8-0 then
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:18 pm

Arbeloa has done nothinh wrong but it could be a good opportunity to introduce deggen if he is fit

Hypia would be good for this as Stoke are physical, I dont blame them as their priority is to stay up not entertain and get hammered

If Torres has any doubt whatsoever then I would rest him as this is not a priority game and Keane and Babel should be good enough to score.  Its not a rotation thing its confidence in the squad and if it means Torres doesnt pick up an injury later on and is out for a month or so then its a good move

Same with SG, if he is up for it then start him in midfield but its nice to have the option of a rest with Alonso and Mash fit and ready, the same duo who bossed Man Utd before the gasps about resting SG turns into a heated debate

We obviously need to respect stoke but we also need to respect our squad and this will be a battle till the first goal
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:28 pm

Besides it's a recently promoted team, and Andy G gas a soft spot for them (I think), I know fúck all about what we can expect of them.

Any known players, does anyone know how they've played so far, should we expect a bus on front of the goal?

I miss Rafa Dodd's oppo thread.  :(
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:29 pm

taff - hit-ious nail-ious on the head-ious.

as the romans would say
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:30 pm

Hope Sailf Diao's in the Stoke squad. He should get a great reception. :D
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby metalhead » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:29 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
metalhead wrote:I expect a 3-0 or 4-0 win.

Don't.

I laugh when people say this. It's great optimism and all, and of course, me being the eternal happy clapper, even this is the happiest of happy clapping thoughts is a little bit too happy clappy even for my happy clappyness.

No. I expect us to win But easy? No. I'll be a bit surprised if we do win comfortably, though.

You know why im optimistic, look at last season, when teams like fulham or sunderland come to anfield and we end up winning 3-0! look at the results, thats why Im showing alot of optimism in this game, because we either win 1-0 or draw, or we tw@t them winning them 3-0 or 4-1 , etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if we end up winning like that. By the way, sorry made a mistake, I dont expect Im hoping lol (predicting) :p
Last edited by metalhead on Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby andy_g » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:54 pm

Sabre wrote:Besides it's a recently promoted team, and Andy G gas a soft spot for them (I think), I know fúck all about what we can expect of them.

Any known players, does anyone know how they've played so far, should we expect a bus on front of the goal?

I miss Rafa Dodd's oppo thread.  :(

they've been unlucky to be honest. they beat villa and middlesboro equalised against them in the last few minutes. they battle hard and don't give up. they don't usually play pretty football but they do have players such as ricardo fuller, dave kitson and liam lawrence who are capable of it if strictly necessary. i'd be very surprised if they'll park the bus, they're much more likely to be adopt a very direct approach with lots of balls towards the box and heavy reliance on rory delap's stupidly long throws.

they also have a couple of our 'ex's in salif diao ( :laugh: ) and dominic matteo.

the fans will sing hearty renditions of the tom jones's classic 'delilah' and then try and start a fight outside the ground.

Get up! everybody's gonna move their feet
Get Down! everybody's gonna leave their seat
andy_g
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:09 pm

yes it will be tough and a possible banana skin after the weeks events, but ihave confidence in rafa to get the team right and the lads to get the result. IM not looking for an outstanding performance but for 3points
Ben1988

Postby Roger Red Hat » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:12 pm

I demand 11-0 cos we're a better team than we we're in 2000
Roger Red Hat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ben1988 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:13 pm

as are there..... but fair point!
Ben1988

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion