STOKE CITY VS LIVERPOOL - Saturday January 10th  17:30 k.o

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:09 am

Image Vs Image

Saturday 10th 17:30 KO

After the so called debacle that was Stoke's visit to Anfield earlier in the season where they parked the proverbial bus in front of our goal thus resulting in a draw which was proclaimed as a set-back of sorts for us. Debatable - which it was - we now travel to the Britannia Stadium looking to set that minor "set-back" right. We're sitting pretty at the summit of the league, so no more of these minor "set-backs" against the so called minor teams of the league can be afforded lightly. With Torres returning to the first team in goal scoring fashion, no more excuses can be given should the "bus be parked". Let's continue to assert ourselves at the top. No complacency. Three points are a must.
Last edited by Emerald Red on Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I actually go into the games against the small teams AWAY with a lot more optimism than if we were playing at HOME against them cos as has been stated we have a lot more room to play in away from home.

:)
roberto green

Postby Greavesie » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:28 pm

3 points here with Torres and Stevie to score

2:0 Redmen and Chelsea and Man U to draw, good weekend coming up! :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Owzat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:45 pm

They'll be on a low, their main 'tactic' is suffering from a lingering injury worry, they're in the bottom three and just got humbled in the FA Cup. They're bound to use the draw at Anfield as their motivation and inspiration, but undoubtedly they'd settle for a repeat dose of nil-nil.

Stoke beat Arsenal at home, but lost to Chelsea (2-0) and Man Utd (1-0) at home. Our away form is better than their home form, but they are not easy to beat at home and we need to win. In fact only Chelsea (2nd), Man Utd (3rd) and the bitters (6th) have beaten them at home in the Premiership. Hull (8th) drew there, villa (4th) and Arsenal (5th) both lost there, so they have played most of the top eight at home already

Stoke (h) P10 W5 D2 L3 F12 A11 PTS 17
Liverpool (a) P10 W7 D2 L1 F19 A7 PTS 23

We must make most of the rivals playing each other, I'd prefer a Chelsea win if either side were to win it. We can't keep relying on our rivals dropping points and we need to start winning the games we have a silly habit of drawing. The bare faced fact of the matter is the mancs could move within a point of us if they win their (both home) games in hand and then we have to go to their's. We're top but we need to start stringing results together and try to move away from them - that means more wins and fewer draws. Top by a few points is putting no pressure on them whatsoever, they'll see us dropping points at the same time as them as keeping them well in the chase as much as it keeps us top.
Last edited by Owzat on Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:51 pm

As for team selections, I might give Kuyt a place on the bench and start with Babel or Pennant on the right - test them with a bit more pace. I might be tempted to play 4-4-2 but we control games well with five across the middle and we have goalscoring options from midfield - Kuyt (7) and Gerrard (13) have as many or more goals than Keane (7) so extra strikers doesn't guarantee extra goals.

Same back four as PNE, unless Arbeloa is fit enough in which case I'd be tempted to either rest Carra or revert to him at CB. If either Alonso or Mascherano isn't fit then Lucas to start, if neither is fit then we might have to play 4-4-2 with Gerrard alongside Lucas or maybe drop Gerrard into that role and play Benayoun in the Gerrard role. Boy do we have a fair few permutations these days
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dundalk » Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:51 pm

This weekend coming up could prove to be very significant in the race for the Premiership.

If we win this game we will be 6 points ahead of Chelsea and 10 ahead of United before they face each other on the Sunday. I think we would take a draw in that one :D

As for our game, it will be a very tough one and I can see Hyypia keeping his place in the back four and Rafa going for a cautious formation. A tight game but we should nick it.  1-0
Dundalk
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:22 pm

Thinking of the Man U - Chelsea game, obviously the draw is the preferred result, but
if not then I'd take a Chelsea win over a Man U win.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Greavesie wrote:3 points here with Torres and Stevie to score

2:0 Redmen and Chelsea and Man U to draw, good weekend coming up! :)

i forgot about them playing eah other.If one had to win I would choose Chelsea cos i think they are on a downward turn and they are more prone to dropping points than the Mancs.
roberto green

Postby redsince2001 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:30 pm

we win... chelsea manu draw ...5 pts clear for the time being
"we were a family club. There was no ‘them and us’ attitude, it was just ‘us’. "-Kenny Daglish
redsince2001
LFC Super Member

Postby tubby » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:35 pm

This is a must win as it could be a chance to widen the gap between us and the others. Torres to start.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:30 pm

Torres starts, let us win this game and hope manc and chelsea draw. Hopefully the Manc v Chelsea ends up 0-0
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:30 pm

I share the revenge feelings that Emerald describes in the thread starter, and I share the view it's a great opportunity to increase the gap.

Yes, I want revenge for the game at home. A dominant team, when is insulted at home, must go away and send a message in the form of a spanking. I'd like to see a 0-4.

As a mate has mentioned it may be actually easier to face Stoke at their stadium. Most English teams I've seen are very generous in the physical effort and passion, and when they're home, they feel more pushed to go to attack than continental teams, who sometimes park the bus even at home.

A must win.
Last edited by Sabre on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Zidane » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:00 pm

We better dominate these bums
Zidane

Postby Kash_Mountain » Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:13 pm

Sabre wrote:must go away and send a message in the form of a spanking.

:D

ABSOLUTE STRENGTH       

ImageImage
Kash_Mountain

Postby Madmax » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:21 pm

3-0 nice and easy no hassle :D .. Torres to get on scoresheet and stevie aswel.
Madmax
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion