Dirk kuyt - Peace everyone

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:28 am

Penguins wrote:And Mick, most of what you say I consider horse**** and not part of reality, but I respect you opinion and you do start some good topics occasionally(even if it does annoy me a little that they are invariably bang on the money :) )

Cheers mate  :;):
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:15 am

Rafa’s thanks for Liverpool's crocked stars

Tuesday, 1 December 2009

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool's luck is turning as he revealed his gratitude to injured players who are forcing themselves through the pain barrier to salvage the club's season.

The Anfield boss maintains that half his side should be on the treatment table rather than involved in Premier League combat.

Benitez witnessed a defiant, backs-to-the-wall display on Sunday to claw a 2-0 victory from a Merseyside derby that local rivals Everton dominated for much of the match.

Liverpool were still far from their best, but they stretched their unbeaten run to five matches as they climbed to fifth in the table.

That run fails to cover up the cracks in Liverpool's season, and has done little to lift the cloud over Benitez.

But the Spaniard claims his stars are demanding to play as they battle to overcome a distressing season of achievement.

And Benitez praised his walking wounded, and had a special word for skipper Steven Gerrard who still looked short of his best at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Gerrard is still way short of match fitness after a groin injury, and Benitez said: “Gerrard has found it hard. He has played three difficult games in a row without training for three weeks prior, and that is tough.

“People have to understand that some players are trying very hard to help the team when they are not really fit. But they want to play, and their attitude is very positive.   

“Now we have a week of training, and that I hope will see a lot more of them much fitter for the next game.”

Striker Fernando Torres failed a fitness test and did not even make the bench at Goodison, but Benitez hopes the striker will be fit for Saturday's trip to Blackburn.

Benitez said: “Fernando is close, but he still has some pain. We now have a week to work with him and for the physios to try to get him fit to play.

“We will monitor this every day and then decide. But we do not want to take any risks with him now, he needed three weeks of treatment and that is not fully completed yet.

“There is no deadline. We will have to decide after we have watched him working this week.”

Benitez praised the players fighting to recover from injuries, who are forcing themselves through matches.

Yossi Benayoun, Glen Johnson, Albert Riera, Daniel Agger, Fabio Aurelio and Gerrard are all still at various stages of recovery.

Benitez said: “There are several players who maybe should not be out there at the moment. They are not fully fit, they are not training and they have injuries.

“But we are working so hard together. We are seeing players involved when they should really be on the treatment table.

“But they all wanted to play, to do a job for the team and to work to get us going again as a team.”

----------------------------
I suppose even the words of Rafa won't stop some people criticising Gerrard whenever they get the chance.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby stmichael » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:24 pm

wish rafa would stop playing him as a lone striker. it just doesn't work. in the first half last night i though he'd been taking lessons on the offside law from bellamy and cisse.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:26 pm

stmichael wrote:wish rafa would stop playing him as a lone striker. it just doesn't work. in the first half last night i though he'd been taking lessons on the offside law from bellamy and cisse.

I think it doesn't work because he is having to change roles, he's not in great form and must be tired having missed I think just one game this season. Despite that his contribution to the league campaign is little different to ever-present Benayoun, except people are not criticising Benayoun for lack of form/contribution, calling for him to be dropped etc.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bad Bob » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:30 pm

Owzat wrote:
stmichael wrote:wish rafa would stop playing him as a lone striker. it just doesn't work. in the first half last night i though he'd been taking lessons on the offside law from bellamy and cisse.

I think it doesn't work because he is having to change roles, he's not in great form and must be tired having missed I think just one game this season. Despite that his contribution to the league campaign is little different to ever-present Benayoun, except people are not criticising Benayoun for lack of form/contribution, calling for him to be dropped etc.

Even it top form, Kuyt simply does not have the tools to play the lone striker role effectively.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Penguins » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:42 pm

Bad Bob wrote:
Owzat wrote:

Even it top form, Kuyt simply does not have the tools to play the lone striker role effectively.

He has never been able to play the role he was bought to play in a red shirt and never will be. Just watch Blackburn away 2007/08
season. Kuyt in a nutshell.  Sorry, he works haaaaaard.
And no, not even last season I thought he was our long term solution at all.

But if all are fit and on form then Kuyt can use others... eh I mean stand in the 6yard box and poke home rebounds  :D
Penguins
LFC Super Member

Postby mjlfc09 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:31 pm

Kuyt to be rested
By Al Campbell

Thursday, 24th December 2009
Rafael Benitez is looking to rest Dirk Kuyt.

Benitez wants to give the Dutchman a rest as he has played in most of Liverpool's games this season and is looking tired and playing poorly.

"We have had some players who have had to play too many games this season and that is a consequence of the injuries," said the boss.

"But I’m sure that if we have some more players we will be able to manage in a different way and give the ones who need it some rest, so they will be fresh for the next match. Dirk has played too many games, we know this.

"He could have had a little break against Fiorentina but David Ngog was ill and we needed to play him.

"But we know Dirk will get back to his levels, for sure.

"He is an amazing player, his work rate is fantastic and we can see that because we are watching all their statistics.

"He is always one of the players who runs the most during a match but we want him to have a rest if he can because I think that will help improve his game."
http://www.lfconline.com/news....tml?utm
Last edited by mjlfc09 on Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjlfc09

Postby bigmick » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:53 pm

mjlfc09 wrote:" He is an amazing player, his work rate is fantastic and we can see that because we are watching all their statistics .

"He is always one of the players who runs the most during a match but we want him to have a rest if he can because I think that will help improve his game."

Sometimes you don't need to add anything, the raw quote says it all.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:03 pm

He's had one good season last year, when the whole team was playing well, now the team is struggling he looks distinctly average.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby dawson99 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:12 pm

Boocity wrote:He's had one good season last year, when the whole team was playing well, now the team is struggling he looks distinctly average.

who in our squad doesn't look distinctly average?
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby made in UK » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:37 pm

Hypothetically speaking if a new manager were to come in, whomever.

Would all of the current Rafa-fanatics (you know who you are) suddenly adhere your undying love to our new manager. Or is it vital that he has to say a few nice things about Liverpool city and FC before you get all wet about him.

If our new manager (hypothetically speaking of course) did all the things our 'real fans' like, do we give him a seasons grace by excusing him that he had to get rid of the dead wood acrued by Rafa. You know, like you've all done when Rafa first signed claiming that Houliers dead wood had to go before progress was made. Ironically the only real progress made in Rafa's tenure was him winning a European cup with most of Houlliers dead wood :laugh:  but thats another matter.

What I'm saying is, will our current squad be considered dead wood only after Rafa's departure has been made and used to ease our new manager into things at Anfield. Or will they be these f.ucking bizarely amazing players that they are apparently be now. OR better said will you still be happily content with this current mob we have if a new manager came in?

I'll wait to see how things pan out, because knowing many posters on here once Rafa's gone (if he goes) his squad will be considered dead wood by these 'real fans' we currently have on the 'bandwagon'.
"I'm a bellend and now I'm banned for life"
made in UK
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:11 pm

dawson99 wrote:
Boocity wrote:He's had one good season last year, when the whole team was playing well, now the team is struggling he looks distinctly average.

who in our squad doesn't look distinctly average?

Yes, I suppose if you put it like that, but Torres and SG are recovering from injuries. Kuyt and a few others do not have any excuse.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:56 pm

bigmick wrote:
mjlfc09 wrote:" He is an amazing player, his work rate is fantastic and we can see that because we are watching all their statistics .

You're very quick off the mark these days to sink the boot in, Mick. What's the craic with that?
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:58 pm

Anyway, I'm amazed that Benitez has actually resigned himself to the fact that Kuyt needs a rest, or is that dropped? Who knows. That rest should have come about two years ago, Rafa.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sir Roger » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:43 pm

Emerald Red wrote:
bigmick wrote:

You're very quick off the mark these days to sink the boot in, Mick. What's the craic with that?

Nothing amazing about being able to run for 90 minutes...
Sir Roger
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion