DANIEL AGGER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:00 am

bigmick wrote:
maguskwt wrote:I like him alot and really think that he can be the danish beckenbauer...

Steady on mate, did you ever see Beckanbauer play  :D If you had, you'd know for those who did it was a case of doing this  :bowdown .

No, I'm afraid Agger won't wever be in that bracket. Just for the purposes of getting another smiley in, I'm goin to have to do this  :talktothehand

I think to even think of that comparison, you must have a  :bump on the head.

well that's why there's an adjective 'danish' in front... how can a danish beckenbauer be as good as the original beckenbauer...:D... as a matter of fact how can anyone be as good as those greats... and yes I've seen beckenbauer play... not live though since I was too young... but i've seen him plenty of times on videos...  the comparison I was making was due to the fact that Agger plays a game very similar to a 'libero' that is to bring the ball out of defence and start a sudden attack. since the centre backs are not usually marked, the opponents would usually not know what to do with them storming forward. And that was what beckenbauer was famous for...so was lothar mattheaus (but you know all that)... and I've seen agger do it for us on a lot of occasions bar games that rafa probably instructs him to just focus on defending... therefore the comparison CAN be made... this is not saying that I think agger is in the same league as beckenbauer... definitely not...  :;):
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:27 am

Was Lothar Matheus ever a Centre Back was he?

I'd heard rumours Agger was suffering from depression - there are always rumours about
Liverpool players though.
Last edited by Effes on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:43 am

maguskwt wrote:this is not saying that I think agger is in the same league as beckenbauer... definitely not...  :;):

Fair enough mate, I was just fecking about with the smileys tell the truth lol.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:44 am

Effes wrote:Was Lothar Matheus ever a Centre Back was he?

Yeah towards the end he played in a kind of Librero role, withdrawn behind the other central defenders. He was pretty good at it as well as I remember. Mind you, he was a top player anyway so I guess he would be.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:19 am

ruskiy playmaker wrote:LOL Agger gay?  Surely that was made up by the Everton fans.

All the rumours were prob made up by BS mate , people started to believe them cause he was out for so long with what looked like a simple metatarsel injury but as we all found out he had complications but still didnt stop some people beliveing the rumours. From what i have been told agger is a quiet shy guy who keeps himself to himself.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:48 am

bigmick wrote:
Toffeehater wrote:
bigmick wrote:Anyway, enough about the "R" word. I've probably said too much already and broken my curfew with the thought police. Back to the question in hand, I think Agger is a much better centre back than Skyrtel yes.

I think drogba would beg to differ  :p

On the strength of Joe Cole's goal at Anfield two years ago? Agger got let down by Riise, got wrong side and outmuscled by the best cnetre forward in the Premiership at that time. Arbeloa went to sleep not picking up Cole, while Agger got himself back right side but to no avail?

Not so sure to be honest. We played them againa few weeks later and Agger had it well sorted, he also pocketed Drogba in the Champions league games of that year, as well as scoring a goal at Anfield which ultimately got us to penalties and took us through.

No I wouldn't run away with this idea that Skyrtels "competitiveness" makes him more difficult to play against.Ultimately at that level, it's quality that counts and for me Agger is the much better player when fit. Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion, but that's mine and if you're right, like yourself Drogba is entitled to his.

I've got nothing much to argue with that but all i'm, saying is that last year again in the champions league , skrtel was as well up against a terrific drogba and did not get a sniff at goal till skrtel went off . Skrtel out muscled him out of the game and i have no doubts that skrtel will become better than agger returns.  Agger is a class centre back and again best case scenario is somehow if we manager to fit all 3 carragher , agger and skrtel into the back 4 .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:55 am

Different types of defender. Skrtel is more of a Hyppia type, drive determination and strength in the air - very strong. Agger for me is more of a footballing defender, in the mould of Hansen..

They both have their plus points, and to be honset i cant choose between them most ot the time. But fo his passing ability and better goal threat I would go with Agger.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:39 pm

bigmick wrote:
JamCar05 wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Still think he's a better partner for Carragher long term but, at the moment, Skrtel's doing a good job and I applaud Rafa for not chopping and changing the back line too much.  He'll get his chance again soon (maybe as early as Tuesday).

Still not sure about Skyrtel Bob. I've had a good look at the goal which Man Utd scored and while I've no idea what the pundits in the UK made of it, I don't think Skyrtel comes out of the analysis too well.

For me he gets beaten to the punch slightly by Tevez getting in front of him for the flick to Berbatov (I think it was Skyrtel anyway). He then does what he has a tendency to do on occasions and ball watch. I appreciate he has to fill the spaces in the centre of the box as carragher gets pulled to the Bulgarian, but when the ball gets squared accross the face of the goal the Argentine is suddently in ten square yards of space. It's a good finish and a well worked goal, but as a central defender you can't just blindly career off after the ball and not even look for the other striker of two in situations like that. He gets drawn to the ball like a magnet sometimes, and although he has certain qualities I don't think as yet he is quite up to it as a defender.

... and what's your point regarding Agger then mate, this being the Official Agger-thread and all? (Just kidding  :D). But in all honesty I would like to know what your opinion is, i.e. do you think Agger is a better solution to Skrtel in central defence, and if so would you - being the antirotationalist that you are  :p - play him instead of Skrtel atm, even though we are currently winning most our games? Just curious  :;):

Well with the obvious disclaimers Jam about not knowing whether the rumours are true or not, if fit I think Agger is much the better centre half between him and Skyrtel yes, and as such I would play him regularly.

As far as the rotation goes, it's fairly obvious that you can't play the same team in every single game so there has to be a couple of changes to the team from time to time. Much of the opportunity for this is provided by the inevitable injuries, but I do believe there should be occasional sensible changes to the team.

I actually don't believe "resting" someone for a match in September means he then stores up that distance he didn't run so he can look fresh in March though. Commonly referred to on here as the "delayed gazelle" theory, it is of course as your common sense would tell you, total and utter b0ll0cks. I do though think that given you are likely to need the services of a Hyppia from time to time, it does make sense to give him some game time here and there to keep the sharpness up. Given this, playing him against Stoke at Home in a game we ought to win comfortably, and in a game where his talents will be useful makes sense to me.

"Styling" though, no thanks. Put it this way, I firmly believe that whether or not we have learned the lessons of the last four seasons or not is probably THE most important factor as to whether or not we will challenge for the title.

Anyway, enough about the "R" word. I've probably said too much already and broken my curfew with the thought police. Back to the question in hand, I think Agger is a much better centre back than Skyrtel yes.

Fair enough Mick, thanks for the answer. And I must admit I agree Agger is the better of the two, even though I think Skrtel has done really well since that first horror game of his. Together they could go on to form a great partnership in the central defence for years to come imo (that is if they both stay that long at the club of course). Also it's nice to actually have a position in the squad, where there is a positive selection headache for Rafa, what with Carra not exactly being ready to relinquish (sp) his starting place just yet  :D .
JamCar05

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:10 pm

As above - Think agger was bought to replace hyypia in the long term and same with skittles for carra . think potentially they could work very well together . Think out of all the cbs we have agger is the best skillfully and technically .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:22 pm

I think it's great we've got three top class CBs and our biggest problem is deciding which of Agger and Skrtel partners Carra. My worry isn't which to pick, but how to make sure Agger doesn't decide his future lies elsewhere. I can't see Sami staying after his exclusion from the CL squad, might even make a bid to move away in January if he's angry/disapppointed enough
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Fo Dne » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:29 pm

The most dissapointing thing about the centre half situation is Sami Hyypia, at 457 years of age is still our best centre half.

Agger and Skyrtel are light years away from him at his best.
Fo Dne
LFC Super Member

Postby GYBS » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:32 pm

yet agger and skittle are both young and learning and the season agger had in the team 06-07 he was outstanding and just as good as hyypia . Hyypia right now is not our best cb - he is 4th choice.
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:41 am

A bit of news regarding Agger:

Benitez plans Agger offer
Liverpool boss thinking about new deal for centre-back
Last updated: 23rd September 2008

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez insists he intends to offer centre-back Daniel Agger a new contract at Anfield.

The Denmark international has 18 months remaining on his current deal on Merseyside and has yet to be offered new terms.

Agger missed almost all of last season with a foot injury and he has since been unable to dislodge Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel from Benitez's regular first-team plans.

The 23-year-old has been included in the Reds' UEFA Champions League squad ahead of veteran Sami Hyypia and, after seeing his side begin the group stages with a victory in Marseille last week, Benitez has revealed he is eager to secure Agger's services for the long-term.

"I was on the flight to Marseille last week and thinking about how we needed to offer him (Agger) a new contract," Benitez said in the Daily Mirror.

Impress
And Benitez is set to give Agger the chance to impress against Crewe in the Carling Cup on Tuesday.

"I've been talking to Daniel and he is ready, focused and really happy here," Benitez added.

"I'm really pleased with him and have a lot of confidence in him, but he knows Carra and Skrtel are playing well and that maybe he needs to wait because the understanding between them has been good.

"I have said Daniel is one of the best centre-backs we have when he is fit and, if he is, it will be difficult for me.

"He is a very good attacking centre-back when we are playing at Anfield, but he needs games."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4183848,00.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully we get him tied down to a new contract soon, as he very much represents the future of LFC imo (aswell as the present of course :;):).
JamCar05

Postby bunglemark2 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:27 am

JamCar05 wrote:A bit of news regarding Agger:

Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez insists he intends to offer centre-back Daniel Agger a new contract at Anfield.

The Denmark international has 18 months remaining on his current deal on Merseyside and has yet to be offered new terms.

Agger missed almost all of last season with a foot injury and he has since been unable to dislodge Jamie Carragher and Martin Skrtel from Benitez's regular first-team plans.

The 23-year-old has been included in the Reds' UEFA Champions League squad ahead of veteran Sami Hyypia and, after seeing his side begin the group stages with a victory in Marseille last week, Benitez has revealed he is eager to secure Agger's services for the long-term.

"I was on the flight to Marseille last week and thinking about how we needed to offer him (Agger) a new contract," Benitez said in the Daily Mirror.

Impress
And Benitez is set to give Agger the chance to impress against Crewe in the Carling Cup on Tuesday.

"I've been talking to Daniel and he is ready, focused and really happy here," Benitez added.

"I'm really pleased with him and have a lot of confidence in him, but he knows Carra and Skrtel are playing well and that maybe he needs to wait because the understanding between them has been good.

"I have said Daniel is one of the best centre-backs we have when he is fit and, if he is, it will be difficult for me.

"He is a very good attacking centre-back when we are playing at Anfield, but he needs games."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hopefully we get him tied down to a new contract soon, as he very much represents the future of LFC imo (aswell as the present of course :;):).

I think this is a bit premature from Rafa...The guy has the hump 'cos he's not in the first team, is spouting off about not getting first team opportunities etc....What - does he think he has a God-given right to walk back into the first team when others have covered admirably in his absence ?...Smacks a bit of Pennant-itis....
Danny - earn your stripes all over again. THEN, we should look at a new contract...
Man, the greed in football makes me sick....
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby JamCar05 » Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:03 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
JamCar05 wrote:A bit of news regarding Agger:

Impress

I think this is a bit premature from Rafa...The guy has the hump 'cos he's not in the first team, is spouting off about not getting first team opportunities etc....What - does he think he has a God-given right to walk back into the first team when others have covered admirably in his absence ?...Smacks a bit of Pennant-itis....
Danny - earn your stripes all over again. THEN, we should look at a new contract...
Man, the greed in football makes me sick....

Err... when exactly has Agger done any of that  ??? . I would be very interested to see some direct quotes of him "spouting off about not getting first team opportunities" for instance.
JamCar05

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion