DANIEL AGGER - Official Thread

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby stmichael » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:15 pm

I think we'll probably see him back in the team against Crewe
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby tubby » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:18 pm

JamCar05 wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:I'm sure all of you are aware of the rumours. Personally I thought it was B/S but these sort of comments from Agger make you think twice.

Not too sure about which rumours you're talking about there mate, could you enlighten me and others who maybe aren't up to date a bit?

Yeah what rumors?

Also why has he not been playing this whole time?
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rafa D » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:21 pm

JamCar05 wrote:
Rafa-Dodd wrote:I'm sure all of you are aware of the rumours. Personally I thought it was B/S but these sort of comments from Agger make you think twice.

Not too sure about which rumours you're talking about there mate, could you enlighten me and others who maybe aren't up to date a bit?

Supposedly, whilst Agger was injured last year, he failed a internal drugs test last year. The club said they would help him and put him through rehab etc but warned him that he wouldn't get a second chance.

I thought and still do think it was boll.ocks put out by Evertonians. However the long injury wait and subsequent non-signing of a contract could certainly stoke up the rumour. 

I heard it from fellow reds by the way, some believe it, MANY don't.
Last edited by Rafa D on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby GYBS » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:22 pm

Rumours that he was either A. Gay B. On drugs C. had a breakdown .

He missed most of last season cause of his broken foot and think rafa is easing him into action lightly as not to have a reaccurance of th einjury which happened last feb when he was rushed back .
GYBS
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby JamCar05 » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:31 pm

Rafa-Dodd wrote:
JamCar05 wrote:

Supposedly, whilst Agger was injured last year, he failed a internal drugs test last year. The club said they would help him and put him through rehab etc but warned him that he wouldn't get a second chance.

I thought and still do think it was boll.ocks put out by Evertonians. However the long injury wait and subsequent non-signing of a contract could certainly stoke up the rumour. 

I heard it from fellow reds by the way, some believe it, MANY don't.

Thanks for the info mate, I have heard about that rumour actually. TBH I don't believe it at all, as Agger always comes across very levelheaded. But I guess you never know. I just hope we offer him a new contract soon, as I think he could be an important player for many years if given the chance.
JamCar05

Postby Bad Bob » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:16 pm

bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Still think he's a better partner for Carragher long term but, at the moment, Skrtel's doing a good job and I applaud Rafa for not chopping and changing the back line too much.  He'll get his chance again soon (maybe as early as Tuesday).

Still not sure about Skyrtel Bob. I've had a good look at the goal which Man Utd scored and while I've no idea what the pundits in the UK made of it, I don't think Skyrtel comes out of the analysis too well.

For me he gets beaten to the punch slightly by Tevez getting in front of him for the flick to Berbatov (I think it was Skyrtel anyway). He then does what he has a tendency to do on occasions and ball watch. I appreciate he has to fill the spaces in the centre of the box as carragher gets pulled to the Bulgarian, but when the ball gets squared accross the face of the goal the Argentine is suddently in ten square yards of space. It's a good finish and a well worked goal, but as a central defender you can't just blindly career off after the ball and not even look for the other striker of two in situations like that. He gets drawn to the ball like a magnet sometimes, and although he has certain qualities I don't think as yet he is quite up to it as a defender.

Most of the criticism that I've read/heard, Mick, was directed towards Masch for not tracking back with Tevez and towards Arbeloa for getting drawn toward the ball and not picking up the run.  I agree, though, that Skrtel is prone to ball watching on occasion and to the odd rash challenge.  I'd personally prefer Agger in there to partner Carragher and I think that, in time, that's what we'll see.  Of course, that assumes that all these rumours about the 'real' reason for Agger's absence are bollox.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby zarababe » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:33 pm

He's always looks a bit outta of it for me - if its true hope the club can help him recover - if he don't then we don't need such 'baggage' given the turmoil we r in already off the pitch !
THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:24 pm

I don'tt think the rumors are true but than again you never know . Agger is a solid defender and it is vital that he gets back to his best , obviously best case scenario is that we play all 3 of them together , skrtel , carra and agger that is , how we are going to do it i'm not sure .
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:59 pm

JamCar05 wrote:
bigmick wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:Still think he's a better partner for Carragher long term but, at the moment, Skrtel's doing a good job and I applaud Rafa for not chopping and changing the back line too much.  He'll get his chance again soon (maybe as early as Tuesday).

Still not sure about Skyrtel Bob. I've had a good look at the goal which Man Utd scored and while I've no idea what the pundits in the UK made of it, I don't think Skyrtel comes out of the analysis too well.

For me he gets beaten to the punch slightly by Tevez getting in front of him for the flick to Berbatov (I think it was Skyrtel anyway). He then does what he has a tendency to do on occasions and ball watch. I appreciate he has to fill the spaces in the centre of the box as carragher gets pulled to the Bulgarian, but when the ball gets squared accross the face of the goal the Argentine is suddently in ten square yards of space. It's a good finish and a well worked goal, but as a central defender you can't just blindly career off after the ball and not even look for the other striker of two in situations like that. He gets drawn to the ball like a magnet sometimes, and although he has certain qualities I don't think as yet he is quite up to it as a defender.

... and what's your point regarding Agger then mate, this being the Official Agger-thread and all? (Just kidding  :D). But in all honesty I would like to know what your opinion is, i.e. do you think Agger is a better solution to Skrtel in central defence, and if so would you - being the antirotationalist that you are  :p - play him instead of Skrtel atm, even though we are currently winning most our games? Just curious  :;):

Well with the obvious disclaimers Jam about not knowing whether the rumours are true or not, if fit I think Agger is much the better centre half between him and Skyrtel yes, and as such I would play him regularly.

As far as the rotation goes, it's fairly obvious that you can't play the same team in every single game so there has to be a couple of changes to the team from time to time. Much of the opportunity for this is provided by the inevitable injuries, but I do believe there should be occasional sensible changes to the team.

I actually don't believe "resting" someone for a match in September means he then stores up that distance he didn't run so he can look fresh in March though. Commonly referred to on here as the "delayed gazelle" theory, it is of course as your common sense would tell you, total and utter b0ll0cks. I do though think that given you are likely to need the services of a Hyppia from time to time, it does make sense to give him some game time here and there to keep the sharpness up. Given this, playing him against Stoke at Home in a game we ought to win comfortably, and in a game where his talents will be useful makes sense to me.

"Styling" though, no thanks. Put it this way, I firmly believe that whether or not we have learned the lessons of the last four seasons or not is probably THE most important factor as to whether or not we will challenge for the title.

Anyway, enough about the "R" word. I've probably said too much already and broken my curfew with the thought police. Back to the question in hand, I think Agger is a much better centre back than Skyrtel yes.
Last edited by bigmick on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Toffeehater » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:15 pm

bigmick wrote:Anyway, enough about the "R" word. I've probably said too much already and broken my curfew with the thought police. Back to the question in hand, I think Agger is a much better centre back than Skyrtel yes.

I think drogba would beg to differ  :p
Toffeehater
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:27 pm

Toffeehater wrote:
bigmick wrote:Anyway, enough about the "R" word. I've probably said too much already and broken my curfew with the thought police. Back to the question in hand, I think Agger is a much better centre back than Skyrtel yes.

I think drogba would beg to differ  :p

On the strength of Joe Cole's goal at Anfield two years ago? Agger got let down by Riise, got wrong side and outmuscled by the best cnetre forward in the Premiership at that time. Arbeloa went to sleep not picking up Cole, while Agger got himself back right side but to no avail?

Not so sure to be honest. We played them againa few weeks later and Agger had it well sorted, he also pocketed Drogba in the Champions league games of that year, as well as scoring a goal at Anfield which ultimately got us to penalties and took us through.

No I wouldn't run away with this idea that Skyrtels "competitiveness" makes him more difficult to play against.Ultimately at that level, it's quality that counts and for me Agger is the much better player when fit. Everyone of course is entitled to their opinion, but that's mine and if you're right, like yourself Drogba is entitled to his.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:30 am

Bad Bob wrote:
bigmick wrote:

Most of the criticism that I've read/heard, Mick, was directed towards Masch for not tracking back with Tevez and towards Arbeloa for getting drawn toward the ball and not picking up the run.  I agree, though, that Skrtel is prone to ball watching on occasion and to the odd rash challenge.  I'd personally prefer Agger in there to partner Carragher and I think that, in time, that's what we'll see.  Of course, that assumes that all these rumours about the 'real' reason for Agger's absence are bollox.

I agree, it's between masch and arbeloa... I didn't see where masch was and don't know if he was actually tasked to track back tevez... but arbeloa was way out of position... in this case you can't really blame skrtel for moving along towards carragher because berbatov might just beat carragher and he needs to be there to help out... but the RB needs to cover the centre in this case but instead he was also drawn to the near post...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:34 am

bigmick wrote:
JamCar05 wrote:
bigmick wrote:

... and what's your point regarding Agger then mate, this being the Official Agger-thread and all? (Just kidding  :D). But in all honesty I would like to know what your opinion is, i.e. do you think Agger is a better solution to Skrtel in central defence, and if so would you - being the antirotationalist that you are  :p - play him instead of Skrtel atm, even though we are currently winning most our games? Just curious  :;):

Well with the obvious disclaimers Jam about not knowing whether the rumours are true or not, if fit I think Agger is much the better centre half between him and Skyrtel yes, and as such I would play him regularly.

As far as the rotation goes, it's fairly obvious that you can't play the same team in every single game so there has to be a couple of changes to the team from time to time. Much of the opportunity for this is provided by the inevitable injuries, but I do believe there should be occasional sensible changes to the team.

I actually don't believe "resting" someone for a match in September means he then stores up that distance he didn't run so he can look fresh in March though. Commonly referred to on here as the "delayed gazelle" theory, it is of course as your common sense would tell you, total and utter b0ll0cks. I do though think that given you are likely to need the services of a Hyppia from time to time, it does make sense to give him some game time here and there to keep the sharpness up. Given this, playing him against Stoke at Home in a game we ought to win comfortably, and in a game where his talents will be useful makes sense to me.

"Styling" though, no thanks. Put it this way, I firmly believe that whether or not we have learned the lessons of the last four seasons or not is probably THE most important factor as to whether or not we will challenge for the title.

Anyway, enough about the "R" word. I've probably said too much already and broken my curfew with the thought police. Back to the question in hand, I think Agger is a much better centre back than Skyrtel yes.

yeah it is without a doubt that agger is the more composed player with the ball... he seems to play with his head up and is very aware of what's going on. I hope that the rumours are not true and that he makes a full come back. I like him alot and really think that he can be the danish beckenbauer...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:55 am

maguskwt wrote:I like him alot and really think that he can be the danish beckenbauer...

Steady on mate, did you ever see Beckanbauer play  :D If you had, you'd know for those who did it was a case of doing this  :bowdown .

No, I'm afraid Agger won't wever be in that bracket. Just for the purposes of getting another smiley in, I'm goin to have to do this  :talktothehand

I think to even think of that comparison, you must have a  :bump on the head.
Last edited by bigmick on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ruskiy playmaker » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:33 am

GYBS wrote:Rumours that he was either A. Gay B. On drugs C. had a breakdown .

He missed most of last season cause of his broken foot and think rafa is easing him into action lightly as not to have a reaccurance of th einjury which happened last feb when he was rushed back .

LOL Agger gay?  Surely that was made up by the Everton fans.
[img]http://i42.tinypic.com/lkw42.gif[img]
ruskiy playmaker

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion