Liverpool vs Birmingham (Sat 22nd Sept) - All Pre Match discussion in here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby The_Rock » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:52 am

Well.....despite playing pi$$ fugly, we managed to draw 2 tricky away games..

Not bad...

But now its time to get back to our groove.  Play our strongest team and birmingham shouldn't be any problem.

Reina
  Finnan   Carra   Agger  Arbeloa
  Pennant   Gerrard  Alonso  Riise
            Torres
                        Kuyt

Although I know we can thrash birmingham with this team... the team isn't in-sync yet. So would be satisfied if we win 1-0.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby AB's Red Army » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:47 am

Riise is injured.
DeviantArt: Click Here
AB's Red Army

Postby mungi » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:49 am

expect to yossi or babel to start
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kewell2Dominate » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:37 am

Is kewell back or still f*cked up? ??? He has one more chance in my book and better F*cking take. Give him 25 at the end and if he can't create something against brum then he hasn't got a hope of playing again.
Kewell2Dominate

Postby shades » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:18 am

Just hoping for a win :laugh:
shades

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:29 am

shades wrote:Just hoping for a win :laugh:

Hillarious.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:33 am

Here's who I'd like to line-up against the Brum.

Reina

Finnan     Carra    Agger    Arbeloa

Pennant   Gerrard  Mascha   Babel

Torres  Crouch

Take NO mercey, lets get back into the groove.
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:01 am

Bamaga man wrote:Here's who I'd like to line-up against the Brum.

Reina

Finnan     Carra    Agger    Arbeloa

Pennant   Gerrard  Mascha   Babel

Torres  Crouch

Take NO mercey, lets get back into the groove.

As above....

Except for Crouch..... prefer Kuyt at the moment. I don't think Peter has shown that he deserves a starting role.

And maybe Yossi instead of Pennant.... but then in Pennant's case, I'm biased...   :p

:D
ConnO'var

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 am

Except for Crouch..... prefer Kuyt at the moment. I don't think Peter has shown that he deserves a starting role.

Thats fair enough mate, and it was a toss up for me too. Peter hasnt been playing well of late, but then again hasnt really had the run he needs. He has looked slightly moody to me, I've watched his body language and its that of a player who isnt totally happy. Then again I'm probably wrong :D  But I think he needs more playing time to find his true form, and get him happier again.

Even with that team and Crouch upfront we should have enough to put Birmingham packing with their legs between their tails.
66-1112520797

Postby ConnO'var » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:22 am

Bamaga man wrote:

Thats fair enough mate, and it was a toss up for me too. Peter hasnt been playing well of late, but then again hasnt really had the run he needs. He has looked slightly moody to me, I've watched his body language and its that of a player who isnt totally happy. Then again I'm probably wrong :D  But I think he needs more playing time to find his true form, and get him happier again.

Even with that team and Crouch upfront we should have enough to put Birmingham packing with their legs between their tails.

You got a point about him needing games to find form...... If we'd won our last 2 games, I'd say give him game time from the start as he's not too good off the bench.... But we didn't, and it's placed a little pressure on the team.

Now's the time to breath confidence back into the team and against Birmingham, this is an ideal time.

Shame bout crouch..... last season, I'd say he got a raw deal.... scoring freely and still not getting to opportunity to start...

But I'm not a big fan of sulkers.... Until he's attitude changes, he's only got himself to blame.
ConnO'var

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:46 am

Well if it was me I'd have myself a little rotate in this one and lets have a look at what we've got. THIS is the game for resting players, and even though we made a mess of it at Portsmouth I'd still have some of the lads putting their feet up.

In goal it's obviously Reina, I'd get Aurelio back in the team at left-back as he's the best one at the club and now he's getting back to fitness we should use this game. After compunding the various theories on tiredness by playing seemingly about 148 times consecutively, I'd rest Finnan and switch the ever more impressive Arbeloa (what a good buy he is proving to be) over. At centre half I'd give Sami another game, while in central midfield I wouldn't go with Gerrard who can go home and go to bed, or Masherano who can get over his jet-lag (he did properly have a long haul flight from somewhere even further away than Albania). It'd be Alonso and that Lucas bloke in the centre for me, with Momo waiting in reserve. I'd give Yossi the chance to make me look a mug, while on the left I'd go with the Argentinian winger. Up top, It'd be Babel for reasons discussed in a previous thread, and Crouch becuase whoever plays up front will probably score in this game and the big fella needs a goal. I actually still think he's a good player. Less than a year ago he was really good, and somewhat controversially I suspect he probably still is.

I think rafa could play any combo he likes and we'd win. I somewhat mischeviously suggested he "got it out of his system" but I actually think Aurelio starting, Arbeloa been given a go in his favoured position, having a look at Lucas and The Argentianian bloke, while giving Crouch and Benayoun much needed game time is quite sensible. Allied to that, Gerrard has a broken toe, Masherano is probably waking up in the middle of the night and feeling hungry, while Torres can have a week off. If the season goes well, he won't get many opportunities to have one of those.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:29 am

In goal it's obviously Reina, I'd get Aurelio back in the team at left-back as he's the best one at the club

Brave call, I'd hardly say best. He's only had a handful of games and in those hasnt convinced me yet of being the "best Left back" at the club. Defensively from what I saw of him he looked weak.
66-1112520797

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:37 am

Yeah it's a kneck out job is the call on Aurelio but there was something about him that I liked from day one. He's got a lovely left-peg, he snaps into the tackle like full-back should, he tucks in and pushes out at just about the right time every time and he will score lots of goals from free-kicks (I know he hasn't yet but he must be sh!t-hot in training because everyone just moves out of the way when we get one and he's playing). He's not a bad header for a little fella, I like his attitude and just about the only criticism I have of him is that he doesn't, for me, get quite tight enough to the right sided attacker sometimes. Defenders who stand back a yard and a half when facing up get beat less often, but I like a full-back to get in the face of the man in posession a bit more than Aurelio does sometimes. Don't play safe, impose your game on his. No, I take your point BM about him not proving much as of yet but I'm pretty confident on this one (as if that means feck all like :D )
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:49 am

This is a big game now with United playing Chelsea this weeked - if we get 3 points we will gain on one of them or both. Arsenal will hammer Derby at home I am guessing so the 3 points is a must.

My team would be the same as last night except I'd have Agger in for Sami and Alonso in for Mascherano if fit.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby bigmick » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:51 am

Whats the score with Pennant St, is he banned straight away or does it take a bit of time to kick in?

Another reason why the Pompey game frustrated the hell out of me. I've just been checking the league table, and had we prevailed on saturday then either Chelsea or Man Utd would be in danger of just about going out of the title race this weekend. If us and Arsenal were to win (which we both will), then the losers of the big clash would have been 5 points behind us, and 7 points behind Arsenal with both of us having a game in hand. They maybe wouldn't quite have been totally dead in the water, but not far off it. It was a real chance wasted and that's for sure.
Last edited by bigmick on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion