Liverpool vs Birmingham (Sat 22nd Sept) - All Pre Match discussion in here please

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby OneHotRed » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Your teams defence did play well mate, were not frustrated with your team, its ours, without wanting to sound cocky we shouldn't ever loose / draw against you, especially now all this money has been spent
OneHotRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ivor_the_injun » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:45 pm

Still unbeaten. Not ideal to drop points, but I'd be more frustrated if we we'd lost a couple of games and looked great in the rest.

Arsenal are definitely in the title race this year though. It's all set up for a four-way battle, and a Chelsea v Man U draw tomorrow will be a great result for us.

Good post from the Brum fan above too - have a good season mate. You're the bane of our lives, but I know a few of your fans and they're a good bunch.  :)
ivor_the_injun

Postby LFC2007 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Got back from the match a couple of hours ago. I'm very disappointed with the result and performance.

However, having briefly flicked through the thread there have been some embarrassing comments, absolutely embarrassing.

As a Premiership start goes, we are still very much in with a shot at the title.

The manc's had their equivalent of Reading at home, this is ours.

I can't quibble about the team selection.

It should have been more than capable of winning today.

The Rafa bashers are out in force, as usual.
LFC2007

Postby The Bench » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:22 pm

Read a lot of the thread. Everyones got an opinion.

My question is, what with manure havin a "bad" start and chelski losing the "special one", and arsenals "kids" stormin the league, answer me this:

Is being unbeaten heading in to October a bad thing?

and this:

Would you rather have the dissapointing 0-0's in september or april?

We can't win every game, but god knows we'll win the majority.
The Bench

Postby Effes » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:38 pm

The Bench wrote:We can't win every game, but god knows we'll win the majority.

Anything over 50% is majority, so that comment doesn't really cut through butter.

You have to win 75-80% of your games to win the league.

Birmingham at home should fall in to the category of MUST WIN.

I can take it if we play our best 11, but not when we drop our best striker.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Bench » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:49 pm

Agree with you Effes, wanted to spout about the team choice, but thought it'd been done, hard to get the point across, but the cliche of marathon not a sprint springs to mind.

Torres must start every game he's fit to, as must SG.

Posted this before I'd seen the motd highlights, and rafas coments about not geting in behind don't hold true.
For me, the whole point of a guy like this is he doesn't need space, cos we never get it at home, he creates it.
The Bench

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Sep 22, 2007 11:58 pm

The Bench wrote:Read a lot of the thread. Everyones got an opinion.

My question is, what with manure havin a "bad" start and chelski losing the "special one", and arsenals "kids" stormin the league, answer me this:

and this:

The problem is manure have had a bad start, chelsea are in turmoil and we should be making hay while the sun shines, not struggling to keep up with them. If this is our great start to a season and manures bad start WTF is going to happen when the mancs start to play well? This was a golden opportunity to put some pressure on them and open up a gap, instead of which we have dropped 4 points against lesser teams and now have to beat the big boys to make up for it.
account deleted by request

Postby adamnbarrett » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:01 am

s@int wrote:

and this:

The problem is manure have had a bad start, chelsea are in turmoil and we should be making hay while the sun shines, not struggling to keep up with them. If this is our great start to a season and manures bad start WTF is going to happen when the mancs start to play well? This was a golden opportunity to put some pressure on them and open up a gap, instead of which we have dropped 4 points against lesser teams and now have to beat the big boys to make up for it.

It's the Liverpool way though.

I've said for a number of years that we seem to enjoy doing things the hard way.

It's our year.

Believe  :cool:

(anyone who comes back with a negative comment should forget about this game and get behind the team extra hard for the next one. It's what we do.)
Last edited by adamnbarrett on Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
adamnbarrett
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:04 am

adamnbarrett wrote:
s@int wrote:

and this:

It's the Liverpool way though.

I've said for a number of years that we seem to enjoy doing things the hard way.

It's our year.

Believe  :cool:

(anyone who comes back with a negative comment should forget about this game and get behind the team extra hard for the next one. It's what we do.)

I still believe Adam. I am just angry and frustrated, not doubting yet mate  :D
account deleted by request

Postby Effes » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:09 am

adamnbarrett wrote:I've said for a number of years that we seem to enjoy doing things the hard way.

That's in the cups, but it's a different kettle of fish in the league.

The one ingredient that is vital for a league success is CONSISTENCY - something we've lacked for 17 years.

Now we have a manager who wont let us achieve this cos of his tinkering.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:23 am

In a week when football just might have restored a little sanity ( I'm talking about Maureen's departure and what it will probably mean to Chelsea and how IMO it will be good for football) we stumble at home and drop 2 pts to a defensive Birmingham side who no doubt still remember being trounced 7-0 in the FA Cup at Home when they played a more open style. (Taylor's still having counselling !)

Unbeaten in October is not something you tend to hear too much as  Liverpool fan in recent years so before we all get a bit silly and start conceding the title bear in mind that we had an off day. It happens in football just in case you have forgotten.

We were lucky last week against Portsmouth not to lose and unlucky today not to win. Thats football my friends and it's the glorious unpredictability of it all that makes it so utterly compulsive !

Walk on................ As Adam says "it's what we do " :D
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:51 am

Dalglish wrote:We were lucky last week against Portsmouth not to lose and unlucky today not to win.

I can accept all this if we have played our best team.
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Emerald Red » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:16 am

Gladimnotavillafan wrote:Hey, Brum fan dropping in.

I almost feel bad :( We seem to have ruined a great percentage of Brit's week.

IMHO I do believe that our Defence isn't getting the credit it deserves, yes you were pants and made completely the wrong selection, most neutrals could see that, but Our back 4 was awesome again today. But The Press, being the Press.. will gloss over that on MoTD, in the NOTW etc etc. But we're not bothered we're used to it.

I just have no idea where these results will pull of against you (in the league, 7-0 don't count) come from. We just seem to be the ultimate bogey team. I'm struggling to decide which of our reuslts was best.

2-2 in 2002 was awesome, good ol' Clint. 2-1 the same season at St Andys. Daz Anderton's winner in 2004/5, 1-1 at Anfield 2006, 2 all in 2005. Abit strange seeing as we often lose to Southend and such on Tuesday nights.

Anyway good luck with the season, I genuinely hope you trounce the Chelsea farce and those bogots at Old Trafford. Arsenal/Liverpool Title race, that's what the neutrals want.

Keep Right On. :)

Without seeing the match or any of the highlights, I know right away that this is one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this thread all day.

You have to give credit to the away team if they did indeed defend well. How many times have we done it when we're being battered about the pitch by better teams on the day? Yeah, that's right - lots. Especially under Houllier, so we can't complain if a so called lesser team does it and knicks a point. Fair play.

We can't blame Rafa (as he fielded a very capable side) and we can't blame the players (as from what I heard, they huffed and puffed and couldn't blow the Birmingham brick wall down). Just one of them days.

Oh, sh*t, but I forgot. Our league challenge is over, right?  :no
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby heimdall » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:34 am

Emerald Red wrote:
Gladimnotavillafan wrote:Hey, Brum fan dropping in.

I almost feel bad :( We seem to have ruined a great percentage of Brit's week.

IMHO I do believe that our Defence isn't getting the credit it deserves, yes you were pants and made completely the wrong selection, most neutrals could see that, but Our back 4 was awesome again today. But The Press, being the Press.. will gloss over that on MoTD, in the NOTW etc etc. But we're not bothered we're used to it.

I just have no idea where these results will pull of against you (in the league, 7-0 don't count) come from. We just seem to be the ultimate bogey team. I'm struggling to decide which of our reuslts was best.

2-2 in 2002 was awesome, good ol' Clint. 2-1 the same season at St Andys. Daz Anderton's winner in 2004/5, 1-1 at Anfield 2006, 2 all in 2005. Abit strange seeing as we often lose to Southend and such on Tuesday nights.

Anyway good luck with the season, I genuinely hope you trounce the Chelsea farce and those bogots at Old Trafford. Arsenal/Liverpool Title race, that's what the neutrals want.

Keep Right On. :)

Without seeing the match or any of the highlights, I know right away that this is one of the most sensible posts I've seen in this thread all day.

You have to give credit to the away team if they did indeed defend well. How many times have we done it when we're being battered about the pitch by better teams on the day? Yeah, that's right - lots. Especially under Houllier, so we can't complain if a so called lesser team does it and knicks a point. Fair play.

We can't blame Rafa (as he fielded a very capable side) and we can't blame the players (as from what I heard, they huffed and puffed and couldn't blow the Birmingham brick wall down). Just one of them days.

Oh, sh*t, but I forgot. Our league challenge is over, right?  :no

Just one of those days or do you mean just another one of those seasons, what pie in the sky, head up your :censored: thinking!! :no

Rafa did no wrong did he, well how about spending £26 million on a striker and not playing him when he's fit?? If I was one of the owners I'd be dragging Rafa into the board room and demanding to know why we spent all that money on a fit player who isn't getting played, it's completely insane.

"The players did no wrong", well apart form not scoring a fecking goal that is!!

Seriously wake up and smell the coffee mate and take the rose tinted glasses off, this is the third sh1t performance from Liverpool in a row, that concerns me, I have no idea why it doesn't concern you??
heimdall

Postby LFC2007 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:42 am

heimdall wrote:Seriously wake up and smell the coffee mate and take the rose tinted glasses off, this is the third sh1t performance from Liverpool in a row, that concerns me, I have no idea why it doesn't concern you??

Sam,

I think/hope it does concern Emerald red and the rest of us, however, he is far from an idiot to believe that our title hopes are over already.

I should think in all likelihood at the end of the season Torres will have played the most matches of all our strikers.

This result is not the end of the world, it's incredibly frustrating, but we remain in a very good position in the league.
LFC2007

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion