Best and worst buys manager by manager

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:16 pm

Good Bob wrote:
0asis wrote:
Good Bob wrote:I just think its laughable when idiots like 7_Kewell get into a slagging match with people when in all reality they don't know what they are talking about.

He was telling me how Fowler would fail and isn't a good player anymore and lacks the hunger and desire and how wrong i was to think otherwise. When infact it was him that was wrong, Fowler hasn't suprised me, because i knew what i was talking about and i knew what we were getting.

7_Kewell though didn't, he slagged me to death saying how Nigel Worthington new more than I ever could and how could i be right over him... Well, all i need to say is, I was right, so was Rafa, 7_Kewell and Nigel Worthington were wrong... EAT SH!T! :D

Great you got something right, so what? People get things right and wrong all the time, even you. Get over yourself it's an Internet forum. And why a grown man is boasting about getting something right to a whole board is beyond me? All I can come to conclusion is you're a very lonely person or your wifes done a runner, one of the two, maybe both.

It's not hard to see that Fowler's heart has always belonged to Liverpool, and it's not hard to see that when Fowler left his career plunged into darkness and he lost all desire to play football because he was not at his special club, he wasn't at home.

Why do you think he's suddenly had this goalscoring surge and looks happy, is getting himself fit and working doubly hard in training and on the pitch to stay at Liverpool a vast change and improvement from the Fowler at Leeds and Man City isn't it?

Anyone who ever doubted Fowler's ability was no doubt stupid but it's not hard to have come to the conclusion that Fowler was "past it" from all the injuries he suffered at Leeds and the fact he couldn't get a game at Man City. But any idiot could of sed "Fowler's still got it; and be proved correct".

A player may lose his pace, his build and age to the point where they are fighting to remain fit but a player who is a natural predator in the box will never lose that nack, and that's happened to Fowler. Robbie could walk out in a testimonial match in a decades time the size of the Jan Molby and he'll still find the net.

So you're not this great wizard of football who knows which player will achieve what and where. You've just made a guess, a prediction and you've gotten right, you're not Neo and you certainly aren't Jesus, so drop the act.

The thing is though Oasis, over the years I say alot of things that "turn out" being right, yet at the time, I get a complete hammering to suggest such ludicrous things.

7_Kewell called me alsorts and told me how much I didn't know about the game because I dared to disagree with him and Nigel Worthington. I have every right to say "I told you so" and I'll keep doing it and some scruffy little manc like yourself is not going to stop me.

I mean, lets face it, I've been posting on here for about two years, the people who actually have a clue about the game and the older posters know I know what i'm talking about and they also know that people like you and 7_Kewell are out of the depth when it comes to a footballing arguement, hence the attempted personal insults.

7_Kewell doubted Fowler's ability. That was my point. He was telling me how i knew nothing about football and how stupid i was for disagreeing with professionals such as Nigel Worthington because i disagreed.

Its not guesswork as to how good a player is. Its common sense and judgement. I've said it time and time again, i know a good player when i see one and i don't get it wrong if i actually see the player. Its not rocket science, you can either spot a player, or you can't.

No one is disputing your knowledge of the game and largely welcome your posts here Stu (even me sometimes) but I think Oasis is basically saying dont rub it in mate.

And how is he a Manc? Oasis?

Noel Gallagher recently said most of his mates are from Liverpool.
My new blog for my upcoming holiday.

http://kunstevie.wordpress.com/
tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Oh Bravo!!

Now that all the dummies have been spat AND tantrums thrown AND chests banged AND macho posturing AND glating bout the size of ones cranium, intellect and footballing knowledge etc etc is over.... can we get back on topic?

Ummm... what was it again?
Fu.ck.... it seems that these threads are always getting screwed by some blowhard or dic.khead.

Sheesh....

:angry:
ConnO'var

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:22 pm

Good Bob wrote:The thing is though Oasis, over the years I say alot of things that "turn out" being right, yet at the time, I get a complete hammering to suggest such ludicrous things.

7_Kewell called me alsorts and told me how much I didn't know about the game because I dared to disagree with him and Nigel Worthington. I have every right to say "I told you so" and I'll keep doing it and some scruffy little manc like yourself is not going to stop me.

I mean, lets face it, I've been posting on here for about two years, the people who actually have a clue about the game and the older posters know I know what i'm talking about and they also know that people like you and 7_Kewell are out of the depth when it comes to a footballing arguement, hence the attempted personal insults.

7_Kewell doubted Fowler's ability. That was my point. He was telling me how i knew nothing about football and how stupid i was for disagreeing with professionals such as Nigel Worthington because i disagreed.

Its not guesswork as to how good a player is. Its common sense and judgement. I've said it time and time again, i know a good player when i see one and i don't get it wrong if i actually see the player. Its not rocket science, you can either spot a player, or you can't.

First of all, You have no clue about my age, secondly you also post insults and act like a child, so I suggest you focus on what you're doing before you question someone else. And that's rubbish that older ppl know more than younger ppl. Football is all about opinions and views as well as facts, just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they know nothing about football. The beauty and art of footballing debating is being able to except other ppls views as well as our own and put your views forced in a well constructed way.
Not by posting Fowler :D:D x (100) everywhere, like you've been doing.

Oh and I'm not a Manc. :D That's a typical misconception from deeply undecuated ppl like yourself. I also do not like Oasis the band.

Stu - you got lucky with Fowler because the signs are all there, I seriously doubt you can watch a compliation video of an unknown player and say he's gonna be great or he's gonna be poor. You're not this footballing giant with bands of knowledge as you make out you are.

You were right, yes, well done, move on.
48-1119859832

Postby dawson99 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:31 pm

eric meijer... that was  a bad buy :p
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:47 pm

dawson99 wrote:eric meijer... that was  a bad buy :p

How about that Alou Diarra. I dont think he played in the 1st team at all.

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:48 pm

bavlondon wrote:

He's a good player. Let me guess Stu said that 5 years ago.  :laugh:
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:50 pm

0asis wrote:
bavlondon wrote:

He's a good player. Let me guess Stu said that 5 years ago.  :laugh:

:D

Carefull. Must not upset Stu.....oh im sorry i meant Good Bob

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:52 pm

i Know not to be confused with the other Diarra but didnt he show some promise.

With worst buys Im afraid we have to look at Houllier, although he got some great buys in theres a lot of waste still hanging around
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:55 pm

taff wrote:i Know not to be confused with the other Diarra but didnt he show some promise.

With worst buys Im afraid we have to look at Houllier, although he got some great buys in theres a lot of waste still hanging around

To be fair a lot of them had great potential, just Houllier never developed that potential due to him not playing them or paying over the top odds on them and then when they can't live up to that price tag, shipping them out.
48-1119859832

Postby tubby » Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:58 pm

He did make a few good buys though like Gary Mac, Jari Litmanen and of course Sami and Riise

tubby
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby taff » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:00 pm

0asis wrote:
taff wrote:i Know not to be confused with the other Diarra but didnt he show some promise.

To be fair a lot of them had great potential, just Houllier never developed that potential due to him not playing them or paying over the top odds on them and then when they can't live up to that price tag, shipping them out.

They did have potential I agree

I dont like Houllier bashing too much but in my view he was a great administrator and certainly modernised LFC but he did have something lacking at the top end of management when it came to gelling his players.  he had an eye for a player but you need more than that
taff
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:03 pm

taff wrote:
0asis wrote:

They did have potential I agree

I dont like Houllier bashing too much but in my view he was a great administrator and certainly modernised LFC but he did have something lacking at the top end of management when it came to gelling his players.  he had an eye for a player but you need more than that

Agreed.

He also had a bad habit of playing players out of position. Diouf on the right flank and Biscan as a centre back. He also never stuck with the same structure in terms of players in his starting eleven, he was always chopping and changing and it went to desperate measures in his last two seasons.
48-1119859832

Postby 48-1119859832 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:04 pm

bavlondon wrote:He did make a few good buys though like Gary Mac, Jari Litmanen and of course Sami and Riise

Finnan, Babbel and Heggam were all good players, not forgetting Henchoz.
48-1119859832

Postby stmichael » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:08 pm

taff wrote:I dont like Houllier bashing too much but in my view he was a great administrator and certainly modernised LFC but he did have something lacking at the top end of management when it came to gelling his players.  he had an eye for a player but you need more than that

100% agree.

Houllier did a lot of good for the club. Helped us win some trophies, helped bring in some key players. Not all of his signings were brilliant, but all managers make bad signings (Pellegrino, Josemi, Nunez, Morientes were not what you would call "successful" though fortunately, they weren't costly.)

Perhaps Houllier wasn't the same when he came back from illness, but overall I think he did good things for the club, and deserves to be remembered in a more positive light.

But surely this is where the huge difference in managerial abilities lie. Every signing of Benitez I mentioned above is now gone. He had the maturity to admit these players didnt work and wasted no time in shipping them out. Houllier showed everything negative about him by refusing to believe some of his signings were failures, to the point where he played 'his' players out of position when a better option was sitting on the bench. He was far too stubborn. I cannot rate him as a manager because of this. I appreciate what he done in 2001 but the rest is a faded memory. Regardless of what people say about he left the Champions League winning team.....he did not! It doesnt matter what players we had, it was up to Benitez to properly train and motivate these players. He got the best out of players that were underperforming under Houllier. In my opinion the credit goes to Rafa there, and not Houllier for signing these players.

I feel Houllier is overhyped by one 'outstanding' season. The other seasons may have been better than that of Evans, but not much.

Be grateful for the manager we now have because he is humble and in managerial terms....extremely competent and intelligent. :nod
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby lakes10 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:28 pm

RÉD RÉPÚBLÍC wrote:Rafa :- Morientes , But who was to know ?

me, i told you all he was going to be c*ap lol....but then again i said Rafa would not win anything at liverpool lol
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion