But we could have had - Best buys

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Bammo » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:05 pm

Agger v Vidic  -  I'd take Agger. He's shown great potential for the future. Although Vidic looks strong there are games where he gets ripped to pieces (like against Bellamy)

Aurellio v Evra  -  Evra has been the most solid. I'm unconvinced by Fabio at the moment. Hopefully he'll come good but he seems too offensive to be a full-back but too defensive to be a winger.

Kuyt  v Berbatov  -  I'd like both too. I think the price may have put Rafa off. Hey, at least we got Voronin ???

Bellamy v Defoe  -  I think they both add something to teams but they also both lack something. Bellamy doesn't get enough goals while Defoe is a selfish bugger. Probably gonna choose Bellamy.

Pennant v Alves  -  I've not seen enough of Alves to make a judgement. At least Pennant is improving, albeit slowly!
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Big Niall » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:29 pm

I can't understand why the best keeper in the league (except maybe Cech!) over the last few years is still at Newcastle. Bring Shay Given to LFC!
Last edited by Big Niall on Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ConnO'var » Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:36 pm

Big Niall wrote:I can't understand why the best keeper in the league (except maybe Cech!) over the last few years is still at Newcastle. Bring Shay Given to LFC!

Hear! Hear!

agree completely...... even though i think that reina was still a good buy.
ConnO'var

Postby stmichael » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:48 pm

Agger is head and shoulders above Vidic for me. There's something of the yard dog about Vidic, in two years time we'll be laughing about the comparison. I've never really took any notice of Evra and you can't really judge Aurellio cos he's a sicknote.

Berbatov is class. I'd take him over any of our strikers in a heartbeat. I'm not a Defoe fan.
Last edited by stmichael on Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Rafa D » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:57 pm

Given probably is one of the best keepers in the Premiership for consistency etc. He has keep Newcastle in so many games over the years its unbelievable. However he is too old now to consider signing and to be honest Pepe hasn't done a whole lot wrong in his time here. I am very happy for Pepe to stay until he is old and grey as I believe we are going to see the best of him over the coming years.

I know he made a few mistakes at the start of the season but his concentration levels are immense. Sometimes we are not even being threatened at all and then the opposition have one chance and Reina more often than not, will save it. Look at Barcelona when Saviola went clean through. The difference between a good keeper and a great keeper is the ability to be fully concentrated on the game and be able to pull off a save at any moment. I think in Reina we have a keeper for keeps.
Sammy Lee wears Liverpool undies
Rafa D
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby hello_red » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:01 pm

i honestly reckon all we need is two quality wingers or one if kewell can get back to us ok! then we will be challenging for every major competion. may sound a bit naive, but bellmay has the winning mentallity to do a proper job for us, and kuyt is just brilliant.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:42 pm

berbatov is a class act and alves will be world class in two to three years but may take time to seatle in.  But i think are goal ratio would be miles beeter if we played Robbie every week with the outher stikers fighting for the outher place. iImean look at his ratio 10 starts 7 goals he is a 20 goal a season striker.
grayghost

Postby grayghost » Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:45 pm

yeah i agree with the two wingers we need but we need a striker who is gonna score regurlary bring on robbie i mean he was class against shefield.
grayghost

Postby mikopool » Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:08 pm

I would pick the lads we have. I would say Alves over Pennant, but Alves is a right back and buying him as a right winger is a serious gamble. I think the biggest deal that we dropped the ball on was Cristiano Ronaldo, before the mancs stepped in, we where the ones with the signature, Utd offered more and Houllier and Thommo figured he wasn't worth any more. That season El Hadji Diouf was our most played right winger.... ahem.
" Some people say football is a matter of life and death, I don't like this attitude, I can assure them, its much more serious then that "

- Billy Shanks.

For life.
mikopool

Postby Elchris » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:16 pm

i think alves playing as a right winger will not affect his game...heck althou he play at rwb in sevilla it looks he play as a RW sometimes....personally i think it will not affect him and he even got the ability get down and help the rightback(finnan) :;):
Elchris

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:36 am

mikopool wrote:I would pick the lads we have. I would say Alves over Pennant, but Alves is a right back and buying him as a right winger is a serious gamble. I think the biggest deal that we dropped the ball on was Cristiano Ronaldo, before the mancs stepped in, we where the ones with the signature, Utd offered more and Houllier and Thommo figured he wasn't worth any more. That season El Hadji Diouf was our most played right winger.... ahem.

I know what you mean mate, but Christiano Ronaldo wasn't, isn't and never will be a Liverpool player.

His Manc connections aside, he just isn't the type of player I'd want in a Liverpool shirt.

He's a dirty, cheating piece of sh*t, and even if he becomes the best player in the World (HAHAHAHAHAHA!) I would still say the same.

Our club doesn't employ scum.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lando_Griffin » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:39 am

Back to the topic in hand, I think S@int has covered it pretty well.

The only thing I would say is that Aurelio hasn't had time to impress, as he's spent the vast majority of his time on the treatment table.

I believe that if he gets a sustained run in the side, he will p*ss all over Evra. The guy has miles more technique, and can hit a ball like no other leftback in this country.

Mark my words - injury free run = we have a "new" leftback worthy of the shirt.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Effes » Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:51 am

mikopool wrote:but Alves is a right back and buying him as a right winger is a serious gamble.

As far as I know he's an attcking right back a la Roberto Carlos.

Agaiinst Barca the other week he scored one and had the most shots on target.
Matt McQueen - Liverpool 1892-1928.
Only professional to - play in goal (41 appearances), Defence, Midfield, Striker, and later be Director and then to be Manager (winning a Championship) - at one club
Effes
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:45 am

Lando_Griffin wrote:
mikopool wrote:I would pick the lads we have. I would say Alves over Pennant, but Alves is a right back and buying him as a right winger is a serious gamble. I think the biggest deal that we dropped the ball on was Cristiano Ronaldo, before the mancs stepped in, we where the ones with the signature, Utd offered more and Houllier and Thommo figured he wasn't worth any more. That season El Hadji Diouf was our most played right winger.... ahem.

I know what you mean mate, but Christiano Ronaldo wasn't, isn't and never will be a Liverpool player.

His Manc connections aside, he just isn't the type of player I'd want in a Liverpool shirt.

He's a dirty, cheating piece of sh*t, and even if he becomes the best player in the World (HAHAHAHAHAHA!) I would still say the same.

Our club doesn't employ scum.

I would gladly take Ronaldo.  His an awesome player.

As for Alves.  I would gladly play him RB as  these days you need Full Backs who are practically like wingers.  Its not enough to have Full backs who can just defend but when they cross the half way line they are lost.

Dynamic, expansive full backs are the way forward and Alves fits the bill perfectly.
puroresu

Postby dawson99 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:47 am

We brought the players best suited to the team. There is a lot more to being a liverpool player than just ability. you need the heart as well and maybe berbatov/ronaldo/alves didnt show the heart required to wear the shirt.

in which case, every buy we have made has been the right one (i dont include diouff and diao in this)
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion