Worst injuries to players of lfc - Which is your worst?

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:21 am

Liverpool have had many bad injuries to players, both recently and historically, this is just a thread in which you can explain was the worst for you and why.

Mine is Gerry Byrne 1965 Cup Final against Leeds. Gerry broke his collar bone in the opening minute of the match and since in those days there wasn't subs Gerry had to continue for the rest of the match which included extra time with a broken collar bone. We ended up winning 2-1 which insured Ron Yeats could pick up our first FA Cup.

I chose this 1 because dispite such an injury he continued and was able to help us win the FA Cup. It was superb that he could carry on playing with such an injury, that sort of thing is unheard of now bunch of pansies, but Gerry showed what he was made of.
1) You'll Never Walk Alone
2) pass and move is the Liverpool groove
3) FIRST WILL ALWAYS BE FIRST AND SECOND WILL ALWAYS BE NOTHING.
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:26 am

Fowlers knee against Everton, cost us a great striker, because he was never the same after that.
account deleted by request

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:32 am

fair point saint, would come against those sh!ts aswell wouldn't it
4) If Torres has scored 60 league goals for Liverpool by the start of the 2011/12 season, I'll say he's better than Owen.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby 66-1112520797 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:15 am

66-1112520797

Postby Well Red » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:54 am

god_bless_john_houlding wrote:It was superb that he could carry on playing with such an injury, that sort of thing is unheard of now bunch of pansies, but Gerry showed what he was made of.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Didi Hamann carry on playing the full half hour of stoppage time in Istanbul on a broken foot?

The worst injury I can remember in recent times was Michael Stensgaard our young reserve keeper back in the David James and Jorgen Nielsen days. This kid had really top potential and would definately have taken over from James and been far better equipped for the Premiership than Westerveld ever was  :(  but sadly his career was cut short by 2 dislocated shoulders as a result of an ironing-board collapsing whilst he was ironing. Don't really know how he sustained those sorts of injuries by just falling to the ground but it was pretty tragic.

Aside from that, any injury we've picked up at Ewood Park in the last five or six seasons has always been pretty grim.
THERE WILL BE LIFE AFTER TORRES:

Well Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby addy » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:00 am

How did I know it was going to be that clip.

I still need to cover my eyes when that is shown.
addy

Postby dawson99 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:04 am

Rob jones quit due to injuries right? that sucked, wanted to see him score a goal SO much:(
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby CardinalRed » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:12 pm

I remember Jason McAteer breaking his leg at Anfield, I'm sure it was against Blackburn because I seem to recall Tim Flowers running over to him and signalling the bench to get to him quickly...... Anyone else remember it? I'm sure it was while he was still with us and not after he'd moved to them....?

:cool:
CardinalRed
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Cisse's broken leg was horrible to watch.
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby Emerald Red » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:14 pm

I ddn't even have to cick on that to know what it was. I remember watching that game live :sniffle

Didn't Alan Hansen get that scar down his dome in a game that ended his career?

How about Cisse's broken leg? Speaking of broken legs, David Busst's was a minter, even if he wasn't a LFC player. That's gotta be the worst.
Emerald Red
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Bammo » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:28 pm

Well Red wrote:The worst injury I can remember in recent times was Michael Stensgaard our young reserve keeper back in the David James and Jorgen Nielsen days. This kid had really top potential and would definately have taken over from James and been far better equipped for the Premiership than Westerveld ever was  :(  but sadly his career was cut short by 2 dislocated shoulders as a result of an ironing-board collapsing whilst he was ironing. Don't really know how he sustained those sorts of injuries by just falling to the ground but it was pretty tragic.

I don't think he even fell. From what I recall, the ironing board collapsed/fell and he instinctively grabbed it which pulled his arm out of the socket  :Oo:

I'm fairly sure he played a season (mainly on the bench) for someone like Southampton later in his career.

I'd still choose Rob Jones' injuries as the biggest lost. It meant a decade of Gary Neville in the England team  :veryangry
Twitter[url=http://twitter.com/IanBamford[/URL]Lego Pirates:
[URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v....o0]http[/url]

Scallies: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=SRWxvm_HNQU
Bammo
LFC Super Member

Postby Reinas No.1 Fan » Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:38 pm

Anything by Jamie Redknapp, such a great player but he didnt do small injurys did he.
Liverpool FC
Reinas No.1 Fan
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby god_bless_john_houlding » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:27 am

Reinas No.1 Fan wrote:Anything by Jamie Redknapp, such a great player but he didnt do small injurys did he.

Redkanpp was out for 6 weeks with a splinter  :D
god_bless_john_houlding

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:34 am

Didn't Alan Hansen get that scar down his dome in a game that ended his career?

No he got the scar walking through a plate glass door. He did cut his head badly just before the FA CUP FINAL against Wimbledon in a clash of heads with Gary Gillespie.

Hansen finished playing because his knees, which he had trouble with for years.
account deleted by request

Postby Lando_Griffin » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:57 am

Robbie Fowler, without a shadow of doubt.

That f*cking injury nearly finished the career of the best natural striker this country has ever seen. :no
Last edited by Lando_Griffin on Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rafa Benitez - An unfinished Legend.
Lando_Griffin
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion