Top ten rafa buys

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby Owzat » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:15 pm

Effes wrote:
s@int wrote:
Effes wrote:No Ronaldo in Man U's list?

I think thats because Ronaldo signed in 2003 mate, before Rafa came.

Oh OK, didn't know he'd been there longer than Rooney.

Three seasons of stepover and fallover, followed by three seasons of diving and cheating
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:36 pm

If the owners and Parry weren't such idiots you could probably be adding Milner to that list now aswell.

Wonder if the same people who turned their noses up when we were linked with him still think he's "average" or "not good enough"? ???
Last edited by stmichael on Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby redbeergoggles » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:18 pm

stmichael wrote:If the owners and Parry weren't such idiots you could probably be adding Milner to that list now aswell.

Wonder if the same people who turned their noses up when we were linked with him still think he's "average" or "not good enough"? ???

Or for that matter add Alves, Aguero and Villa to that equation ,Rafa has an eye for quality when he is not limited to shopping in the bargain bin ..
redbeergoggles
LFC Super Member

Postby Benny The Noon » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:26 pm

1.Torres
2.Pepe
3.Xabi
4.Masher
5.Kuyt
6.Yossi
7.Aurelio
8.Agger
9.Garcia
10.Arbeloa
Benny The Noon

Postby Fowler_E7 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:26 pm

1.Torres (best signing ever)

2.Reina (Top goalkeeper, young and could be around for another 10 years)

3.Alonso (Was one of my personal favourite liverpool players, oozed class.

4.Mascherano (Not pleasing on the eye, but the best at what he does)

5.Johnson (superb attacking fullback, what weve needed for years)

6.Aurelio (Bargain for such a class player, wished he could stay fit)

7.Garcia (always pulled a rabit out of the hat when needed)

8.Fowler (God lifted our seeason in 05/06)

9.Sissoko (the midfield partnership of him and Alonso was brilliant in 05/06)

10.Agger (Classy player, who has a lot of talent, wish he could stay fit as well)

honorable mentions to Benayoun, Crouch and Riera
Last edited by Fowler_E7 on Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby agoodmentality » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:38 pm

shanklygates wrote:toffee i think we sold him at the right time.

in his first season he was brilliant, very viera esque, but saint hit on his injuries and the one for me was the eye injury after that he just wasnt the same player.

it was like he had 1 eye or something because after that injury he couldnt pass the ball 5 yards, completely changed him as a player and rightly so he nearly lost that eye, didnt we get about 12 million for him?

who would you rather have in the squad??

Sissoko or Lucas?

correct me if im wrong but did'nt signing Lucas upset Momo?, or did we sign him afterwards,,.

in my head i think rafa swapped Lucas for Momo.

I know who i would rather have in my team.
I've watched my Heroes throught the slats at Melwood,,
I've STOOD on the KOP,,
I've cried for the 96 ,,

Don't EVER question my loyalty or support.

YNWA
agoodmentality

Postby stmichael » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Generally speakling he can't win anyway.

Rafa gets criticised for buying too many squad fillers in his first five years. Now that he seems to be concentrating on quality over quantity, he gets criticised for that as well.

The Aquilani signing we can argue over all day. However Glen Johnson is a prime example. The idiots in the media were banging on last year about how the fullbacks were our weakness (I was and Arbeloa fan but he wanted to leave). He goes out and buys Johnson for 18m who instantly gives us an extra dimension and the same people then question that because "£18m on a fullback doesn't win you titles".

He can't win. United have injuries galore tonight and it's typically all over the papers and Sky as if it's the biggest injury crisis in the history of the world. No mention of any of Ferguson's bad buys or anything. We have injuries galore (not for 1-2 games but longer term) and it's all because Rafa hasn't brought well well enough.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Owzat » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Injuries galore?!? Like I said the other day, eight or nine of our first choice players have played 12+ league games so 80%. Agger has been a long term absentee, Aquilani hasn't started, but we've not yet hit the depths of Mascherano at CB and Carra up front.

But I will bet the mancs win tonight and won't bet on us winning tomorrow night. The problem is one or two players miss maybe 2-4 games and we've an injury crisis that has hit our season and is blamed for all defeats regardless whether anyone was actually missing. The biggest single problem is without Torres we're woefully thin in terms of scoring, that is down to choices made by the manager not to bring in back-up. He said when we sold Keane that we didn't need back-up, this season Voronin, Babel, N'Gog and Kuyt are apparently good enough cover even though Voronin has been lambasted and loaned out previously, N'Gog had little experience and has now scored mostly against ordinary sides, while Kuyt has found a new role that isn't as striker. As for Babel, well I wouldn't use him to cover a dog t u r d let alone a striker or winger.

So instead of buying a striker or two, instead of covering holes that needed covering, Rafa buys a £17.5m RB and an injured £10m CM. You can't expect him to buy a whole world-beating XI for £40m, but you might expect a bit more than a RB, ordinary CB and injured CM. His spending in 08/09 was on :

Keane £20.3m - such a hit he was sold six months later
Riera £8m - considered our LM solution, not such accolades since with Benayoun taking over
N'Gog £1.5m - not doing that badly, but mostly scoring against weaker sides
Dossena £7m - hardly used, our 3rd choice LB
Degen free - injured most of last season, is he injured now since his red card?
Cavalieri £3m - expensive benchwarmer keeper

Hardly a convincing track record of the past two summers, arguably what has been departing is better.
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby sully0182 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:24 pm

1.Torres
2.Reina
3.Alonso
4.Benayoun
5.Aurelio
You can't just walk in here with a big banana and expect everything to be peaches...

"We see things they'll never see" - Noel Gallagher, fellow united hater
sully0182

Postby kunilson » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:17 pm

1.Torres
2.Reina
3.Alonso
4.Masch
5.Kuyt
6.Arbeloa
7.Garcia
8.Benayoun
9.Agger
10.Fowler

Tried to do it on how much they have impacted the club while here.....except Fowler, just had to have him there!
im sure positions after the top 4 may change if i put more thought into it......
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby agoodmentality » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:40 pm

stmichael wrote:Generally speakling he can't win anyway.

Rafa gets criticised for buying too many squad fillers in his first five years. Now that he seems to be concentrating on quality over quantity, he gets criticised for that as well.

The Aquilani signing we can argue over all day. However Glen Johnson is a prime example. The idiots in the media were banging on last year about how the fullbacks were our weakness (I was and Arbeloa fan but he wanted to leave). He goes out and buys Johnson for 18m who instantly gives us an extra dimension and the same people then question that because "£18m on a fullback doesn't win you titles".

He can't win. United have injuries galore tonight and it's typically all over the papers and Sky as if it's the biggest injury crisis in the history of the world. No mention of any of Ferguson's bad buys or anything. We have injuries galore (not for 1-2 games but longer term) and it's all because Rafa hasn't brought well well enough.

Do you honestly think our second string could get a result like that at wolfsberg???

is that G&H's  fault?
I've watched my Heroes throught the slats at Melwood,,
I've STOOD on the KOP,,
I've cried for the 96 ,,

Don't EVER question my loyalty or support.

YNWA
agoodmentality

Postby DAV » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:52 pm

I find sissoko an interesting addition to this. certainly on this forum and the games i went to he was disliked as much as lucas is. I'm sure he is performing well in italy, but if i player did not perform form for us then that makes it a bad buy regardless of what he did after leaving.
DAV
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 pm

They had Carrick and Fletcher at centre half and Park Ji Sung at right back. Van Der Sar was out, Evra played. They had Danny Welbeck on from the start, Danny Gibson or whatever the feck his name is, Scholes who very rarely plays these days in midfield. They had a bloke up front who they got on a free who scored a hat trick which obviously helped, they won 3-1.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Benny The Noon » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:53 pm

Sissoko performed for us plenty of times - form went downhill a bit after his injury but until then he was a very very good player for us
Benny The Noon

Postby bigmick » Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:56 pm

I really likes sissoko, thought he had it in him to be a really good player. that said I don't think it was wrong to sell him as his form had tailed off. He really was one of those players fopr whom the rotation thing didn't really work. Not all players take to it.

We might get a chance to check him out in the Europa League anyway because they're in it as well.
"se e in una bottigla ed e bianco, e latte".
bigmick
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion