But we could have had - Best buys

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby account deleted by request » Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:30 am

Looking back on the players we signed as opposed to the players we perhaps could and were rumoured to be interested in, how do you think we did.

Agger v Vidic
Aurellio v Evra
Kuyt  v Berbatov
Bellamy v Defoe
Pennant v Alves

My own view is Agger :- better footballer than Vidic but maybe not quite as mature as a defender yet. Two years down the line and he will be head and shoulders above Vidic.

Aurellio :- I have to say Evra would have been a better buy, after his early problems he has been outstanding for the Mancs while Aurellio has been a sicknote part-timer for us.

Kuyt :- Hard one this, as Kuyt is so hard working and seems to have the perfect attitude, but hasn't yet scored as often as he needs to. Berbatov seems to be a "homer", plays great at home but sometimes disappears in away games, but he's scored 17 goals already this season. I like Kuyt, so I am going for him anyway.

Bellamy :- Again not enough goals in comparison with Defoe, but his hard work maybe makes up some of the difference. If we had a prolific striker alongside him there would be no question that Bellamy is the better buy. As we dont, we maybe could have done with Defoe's better strike record this season.

Pennant :- Not really a fair comparison as we couldn't afford Alves at the time, but how I wish we had managed to get him. Alves price has soared since we went after him and we would be lucky to get him now for £15million.

All ifs and buts now, but to be honest I dont see that any of the alternatives we could have bought would have turned our season around (maybe Alves?)
account deleted by request

Postby The Manhattan Project » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:19 am

I'd choose the guys we did get.

We also should have gone for Rosicky when Dortmund were in financial trouble, and Andy Johnson before Everscum went for him,
china syndrome 80512640 reactor meltdown fusion element
no uniquely indefinable one 5918 identification unknown 113
source transmission 421 general panic hysteria 02 outbreak
foreign mutation 001505 maximum code destruction nuclear
reflection 01044 power plutonium helix atomic energy wave
The Manhattan Project
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:35 am

I'd have to pretty much agree with what you've said there Saint. Evra definately.
The two at Tottenham are poachers, the two for us (Bellamy Kuyt) are IMO grafters, we could do with one poacher and a grafter IMO. But probably not either of the Spurs pair, I'd look for better. Although Berbatov has 17 goals, thats a decent return.
66-1112520797

Postby Redrider » Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:45 am

How did we miss out on Berbatov ?
Why do we end up with second class strikers like Crouch and Cisse and allow talent like Berbatov (17 goals already this season) to go unsigned. It isn't money, Spurs pay him less than £30k a week !
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:05 am

Berbatov is better than Kuyt.  His a fantastic player and worth every penny.

Evra is class.  He has always been class. The Monaco CL run with him had him and Guily just tearing sides apart.  People were giving him stick at the start which was a joke as he needed time to settle.  Going forward his awesome!!!
puroresu

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:10 am

Redrider wrote:How did we miss out on Berbatov ?
Why do we end up with second class strikers like Crouch and Cisse and allow talent like Berbatov (17 goals already this season) to go unsigned. It isn't money, Spurs pay him less than £30k a week !

Maybe Rafa didnt really want him.
puroresu

Postby Redrider » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:45 am

puroresu wrote:

Why would he not have wanted him ?
It can't be that he has more off-field problems than say Bellamy.
In the comparison with Crouch all you can say is that he placed his money on the 'wrong horse' !
Redrider
LFC Super Member

Postby Elchris » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:47 am

i'm happy with kuyt although we need players like berbatov in the team...aurellio came for free while the scums paid for evra...haven seen the best of aurellio yet but has shown some quality..i prefer bellamy over defoe and the best of all we got agger  :D
Elchris

Postby woof woof ! » Tue Mar 13, 2007 10:53 am

Agger v Vidic ........Agger, think Saints assesment is spot on
Aurellio v Evra........Evra, looks the better choice but I'm hoping Aurellio will come good next season
Kuyt  v Berbatov....I wish we'd bought BOTH of them .Different styles but both with lots to offer.
Bellamy v Defoe.....Wouldn't have taken either of them .
Pennant v Alves..... A no brainer, :D . Pennant good but not good enough .Alves for me.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Redman in wales » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:03 am

basically what woof said.

i really rate Berbatov. Great striker. he can go missing on occasion, but so can many strikers and all strikers have off days. Well taken goal against chelski at the weekend, and everytime i see him i think 'wish we'd have signed him'
Redman in wales
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:16 am

Redrider wrote:
puroresu wrote:

Why would he not have wanted him ?
It can't be that he has more off-field problems than say Bellamy.
In the comparison with Crouch all you can say is that he placed his money on the 'wrong horse' !

who knows.  He chose Kuyt didnt he.

The wrong striker from Leverkuson has been signed.  The last 4 season was all Berbatov at Leverkuson and we got the wrong one.
puroresu

Postby Elchris » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:09 pm

Redman in wales wrote:everytime i see him i think 'wish we'd have signed him'

I think the same about obefami martins
Elchris

Postby Bad Bob » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:36 pm

woof woof ! wrote:Aurellio v Evra........Evra, looks the better choice but I'm hoping Aurellio will come good next season

Agreed.  At this time last year I think Evra looked a much worse buy than Aurelio does at the moment but he's clearly come on in leaps and bounds.  Let's see how the Brazilian does once he settles in a more and gets a run of games.  For that to happen, he'll need to stay off the treatment table.  Not really a fair comparison at the moment.
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby puroresu » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:37 pm

Elchris wrote:
Redman in wales wrote:everytime i see him i think 'wish we'd have signed him'

I think the same about obefami martins

A lot of people questioned Martins.  While in recent times he struggled at Inter, his game is perfect for England.  Bags of Pace, good finisher and although small is very strong.  I would take him over Bellamy
puroresu

Postby Santa » Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:43 pm

I wished we could stretched a couple more millions to get Alves...Pennant didn't impress me so much. Not good enough so I expect Rafa to go bid for Alves/Joaquim again this summer
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion