LIVERPOOL 2 vs Southampton 1 - Sun 17 August 2014 KO 1:30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Haven't been this frustrated for a long time. We're not sharp at all. Lovren looks like he'll do a lot to settle us down. No idea why can didn't play.

Been on the fence forever with Johnson but the time has come to say goodbye. His head just isn't right

Time to say goodbye to Lucas too

Arguably time to say goodbye to Gerard. Not impressed at all and without his energy the team looks weak.

Personally I think we're weak in muscle in the midfield. We sit too deep and coutinho goes absent when you need him to crunch.

Irrespective of our talents we were largely easily contained today and that's due to the fact that 2 people are no longer on Suarez. We're now man for man marked and considerably stifled.

Will agree we need another keeper, another box to box midfielder and another striker.

Glad we won. All you can hope for in a first game, but there's a lot of work to be done.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Haven't been this frustrated for a long time. We're not sharp at all. Lovren looks like he'll do a lot to settle us down. No idea why can didn't play.

Been on the fence forever with Johnson but the time has come to say goodbye. His head just isn't right

Arguably time to say goodbye to Gerard. Not impressed at all and without his energy the team looks weak.

Personally I think we're weak in muscle in the midfield. We sit too deep and coutinho goes absent when you need him to crunch.

Irrespective of our talents we were largely easily contained today and that's due to the fact that 2 people are no longer on Suarez. We're now man for man marked and considerably stifled.

Will agree we need another keeper, another box to box midfielder and another striker.

Glad we won. All you can hope for in a first game, but there's a lot of work to be done.
Homebooby

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:15 pm

Already improved from last season. At least we didn't lose to them at home. ;)
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kartiek » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Can should've played, and I hope BR is not engaging in some silly ego struggle like he did with Nuri.

We've looked much more solid if Can had played instead of Lucas.
kartiek

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:21 pm

Johnson wasn't great but the blame for a performance like that lies squarely with the midfield. IMO Southampton were the better side, they bossed the midfield, they bossed the game and they had the better chances.
how they only scored 1 goal god only knows.
Lucas and Gerrard should not play in the same midfield again, they are so one paced and pedestrian it's untrue.
The keeper looks like a disaster waiting to happen but that one he palmed onto the crossbar was an incredible save.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:26 pm

kartiek » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:Can should've played, and I hope BR is not engaging in some silly ego struggle like he did with Nuri.

We've looked much more solid if Can had played instead of Lucas.

Why is it suddenly an ego struggle?? FFS

so many reasons -

- Lucas being touted out
- Can picked up a knock/feeling ill
- Rodgers not playing him immediately (happens a lot with new signings, Long came on as sub today for Southampton)
- Rodgers purely favouring Lucas in this game

I honestly don't know where the ego battle accusation is coming from??

The Sahin saga is irrelevant here and regardless he was sh!t so Rodgers came out on top anyway.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby C-R » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Next time I go the doctors I'm gonna ask if he can prescribe me anything to take for Glen Johnson
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:Johnson wasn't great but the blame for a performance like that lies squarely with the midfield. IMO Southampton were the better side, they bossed the midfield, they bossed the game and they had the better chances.
how they only scored 1 goal god only knows.
Lucas and Gerrard should not play in the same midfield again, they are so one paced and pedestrian it's untrue.
The keeper looks like a disaster waiting to happen but that one he palmed onto the crossbar was an incredible save.
southampton succeeded in the midfield by neutralising Coutinho.

Good job done. Hats off.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:27 pm

Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:15 am wrote:Haven't been this frustrated for a long time. We're not sharp at all. Lovren looks like he'll do a lot to settle us down. No idea why can didn't play.

You must have watched a different game.  You are aware we won aren't you?  We are going to have some difficult games  Southampton are a good side.  Nothing wrong with putting 3 points up on opening day.  Job Done.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby The Good Yank » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:32 pm

Forgot to mention.  Migs was freaking incredible today.  Between Migs, Hendo and Sterling for MOTM for me.
s@int - 13 December 2009

I won't celebrate Rafa going........ but I will be over the moon if Dalglish comes in. League within 2 years if he gets the job, AND YOU CAN QUOTE ME ON THAT.
The Good Yank
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:35 pm

Yeah I watched the game. I saw us struggle to open them up until we did for the first goal and then sit back and invite them onto us for the next 50 mins or so until they equalized. Until lambert came on I think we showed no fight and no sign of winning it and every sign that we might lose it. That actually continued after we did again and we were very very fortunate. Good for us and as said, happy with the win. I can concede a lack of match fitness at the beginning of the season but he lack of balance was concerning for me.
Homebooby

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:36 pm

Fecking hell guys, did we lose?  No, so cheer the feck up  :wwww

Anyway, I agree, it wasn't our finest performance, but our first game of the season seldom is. Hell, until last year, we hadn't won our opening game for something like 5 years. Things will improve, trust me.  :;):

I predict that Lucas will get dropped for the next match and Moreno will get fast tracked into the team, depending on Enrique's fitness. Clearly the midfield didn't work and BR reacted to that in the second half. However, we do need a striker and quickly. So hurry BR and get it done  :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:38 pm

I'd have to disagree there too I am afraid. I think he made a couple of good saves, but considering he centre backs were a lot more solid, he looks shaky still to me. I thought Lovren was way more commanding and a presence. I'd give he do a shout out as well, classy ball and you can't fault his work rate. He seemed to be struggling in midfield by himself though. He needs another strong midfielder next to him. Lucas, Gerard and Allen are not that player.
Homebooby

Postby maguskwt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:39 pm

We have mentioned many times last season that Gerrard and Lucas pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. Yet, here we are pairing Gerrard and Lucas again, and here we are completely bossed by a mid-table team in midfield after like 30 mins or so.

I hope that BR sees this. I hope that this pairing is temporary and will not happen again.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:40 pm

7_Kewell » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:36 pm wrote:Fecking hell guys, did we lose?  No, so cheer the feck up  :wwww

Anyway, I agree, it wasn't our finest performance, but our first game of the season seldom is. Hell, until last year, we hadn't won our opening game for something like 5 years. Things will improve, trust me.  :;):

I predict that Lucas will get dropped for the next match and Moreno will get fast tracked into the team, depending on Enrique's fitness. Clearly the midfield didn't work and BR reacted to that in the second half. However, we do need a striker and quickly. So hurry BR and get it done  :buttrock

In context we were no worse than spurs, arsenal or utd, I'd agree there. For the first time I am measuring theme against their performances last season though and screw anyone else :-)
Homebooby

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games