Southampton vs LIVERPOOL - 1st March 2014 - KO 17.30

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby woof woof ! » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:51 am

killerp » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:20 am wrote:3-0 win and only 3 pages?

Would seem a number of regulars couldn't get connected . Post match at my end Google refused to recognise the forum address. Weird, but everything apparently back to normal this morning.

As for the game. A great result for us, scrapped our way through the first half but once we got the second goal there was only going to be one winner, the third goal was purely icing on the cake.

With the Sunderland game postponed the team have a two week break before we travel to Old Twatford, hopefully to put another nail in their coffin  :buttrock .

Given it's two weeks before that match I'm wondering if Brendan will give the lads a few days off for rest and recuperation or if he'll plow on with training as usual.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby only me » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:54 am

Surprising display by the lads ,we really came out aggressive and with a sense of purpose. Really proud of the performance and the mental readiness ,we really took the game to them and Yes while at times allowing them to take control we did more then enough to secure a win. Suarez MOTM ,Allen not far behind with an inspiring relentless display And Simon looked confident with some unusual ventures outside his zone.
I Marked this game as big potential for points drop yet we took it quite easily.
Great Day at the Office!
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 am

Impressive win.  Not because of the scoreline or how well we played (clearly we weren't at our best), but because of how we won.  After weeks of playing open football and throwing caution to the wind we showed we can also smother a team, defend well and grind out an away win against a good side.  That was like watching a Chelsea performance not a Liverpool one.  This again shows Rodgers' tactical versatility and he got it absolutely spot on.  He also made the right substitution at the right time when he brought Sterling on because it turned the tide in our favour right away, showing Rodgers can influence games with changes.  We have a good manager here.

Suarez was man of the match and probably deservedly so with a goal and two assists, but a special mention has to go to Skrtel who seemed to be winning everything yesterday and put in some good challenges.  I'm his biggest critic and he's been awful in recent weeks.  He's not the long term answer in my opinion but if he can play like that for the next ten games we'll be ok this season.  Well done to him. That said he still almost cost us a goal when he got beaten for the knock down to Lallana when he hit the post and should've scored.

I thought Flanagan struggled against Shaw and Lallana down that flank (who hasn't this season?) but he put in a gutsy performance.  Coutinho had a stinker (everyone has them) and for the first time this season Henderson looked knackered to me (a two week break has come at the right time for him before the run-in). 

I was disappointed in Sturridge yesterday.  For me he didn't work hard enough without the ball and we were carrying him at times.  There's no excuse for that.  Stu called it a while ago and he's right, he needs to sort this side of his game out if he wants to be a top striker.

Overall though a really satisfying performance.  Next up the scum... how they'd love to screw up our season by doing us.  Lets make sure we not just beat but humiliate them on their own patch.  We're certainly capable of it.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby leeroy74 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:03 am

Is that another thread I've started and another victory where we bag a load of goals? Yes I think it is.

I think someone should look at all this season's match thread starters and see who has the most wins and who has the most goals by Liverpool in these games...   then award that person with a holiday to the Caribbean or maybe 10 grand in cash. Just saying.

Great result, did what we needed to. Realistically we're in 3rd as I think man city with their 2 games in hand might overtake us but for now I'll take 2nd in March!
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:12 am

JC_81 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:55 am wrote:Impressive win.  Not because of the scoreline or how well we played (clearly we weren't at our best), but because of how we won.  After weeks of playing open football and throwing caution to the wind we showed we can also smother a team, defend well and grind out an away win against a good side.  That was like watching a Chelsea performance not a Liverpool one.  This again shows Rodgers' tactical versatility and he got it absolutely spot on.  He also made the right substitution at the right time when he brought Sterling on because it turned the tide in our favour right away, showing Rodgers can influence games with changes.  We have a good manager here.

Suarez was man of the match and probably deservedly so with a goal and two assists, but a special mention has to go to Skrtel who seemed to be winning everything yesterday and put in some good challenges.  I'm his biggest critic and he's been awful in recent weeks.  He's not the long term answer in my opinion but if he can play like that for the next ten games we'll be ok this season.  Well done to him. That said he still almost cost us a goal when he got beaten for the knock down to Lallana when he hit the post and should've scored.

I thought Flanagan struggled against Shaw and Lallana down that flank (who hasn't this season?) but he put in a gutsy performance.  Coutinho had a stinker (everyone has them) and for the first time this season Henderson looked knackered to me (a two week break has come at the right time for him before the run-in). 

I was disappointed in Sturridge yesterday.  For me he didn't work hard enough without the ball and we were carrying him at times.  There's no excuse for that.  Stu called it a while ago and he's right, he needs to sort this side of his game out if he wants to be a top striker.

Overall though a really satisfying performance.  Next up the scum... how they'd love to screw up our season by doing us.  Lets make sure we not just beat but humiliate them on their own patch.  We're certainly capable of it.

Sturridge doesn't score for the first time in 9 games so it's time to get the knives out. The lad very unselfishly tries to give Suarez a chance at an open goal which is what some people have been moaning about and he still gets criticised. His hard work ultimately resulted in the first goal when we were under a lot of pressure. The lad doesn't seem to be able to win with some people.

If I'm brutally frank we were lucky to take the lead. I'm staggered by some of the accolades bestowed on Joe Allen. I thought the midfield in the first half at times was decidedly average. Would we have won that game without Suarez?
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby JC_81 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:54 am

No knives out devaney just telling it how it is.

If you're suggesting that sturridge put in a shift in that game then you didn't watch it.  That being the case then leave the discussions to those who did watch it.

He's a really good player but to get to the next level he has to be more of a team player. That doesn't mean passing to Suarez but also defending from the front which he doesn't do enough. Sorry if that harsh truth offends anyone.
JC_81
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:10 am

Clean sheet.

Good result.

We have put ourselves in a good position.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:22 am

I'm glad to hear other posters have had trouble logging onto here the past couple of days, I've had one of these ipad airs for a few months and I thought it was that what was playing up, I bought the 32gb one and I was thinking to myself all that dough and the sodding thing won't log onto the one footy forum I use the most!
Anyway in general the result was better than the performance yesterday but I thought the much maligned back 4 and keeper had great games. That was the best performance Glen Johnson has put in since the win against United at home.
It wasn't easy for them with the midfield being over run but they hung in there, Agger too had his best game for a while.
Tremendous result and with us not having a game for a fortnight we go into the mini break on a high, it would have been a real downer to lose that and have to wait 2 weeks to put it right.
Second in the table with 10 games to go, we are well and truly in this race.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 am

Massive win that. I thought first half we really struggled and were extremely fortunate to go in a goal up. Lallana bossed it and nobody got close enough to him. The lad looks a very good player. As did Shaw. I was impressed by their right back as wellCChambers. Second half and luis does what he does best laying one on a plate for Sterling who has now started adding goals to his excellent play. After that we carved them open repeatedly and could haveeasily scored about 5-6. BrBrilliant penalty from Gerrard at the end to put the icing on the cake. Sets us up nicely for old Trafford. Another massive game.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Boocity » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:08 pm

I got kicked out of the website after about an hour of the game and couldn't get back in. Anyway, great result and for the most part a great performance, BR showed his tactical side with the bringing on Sterling for Coutinho who wasn't at his best on this occasion. I disagree with you JC about sturridge, it wasn't his best game but I wouldn't say we were carrying him, we just didn't play to his strengths in the 1st half, Southamptons back four were pushing high up and were there for the taking by DS and LS but our passing was pretty awful, too many balls needlessly hit out of play, passed to the opposition or just too hard a through ball.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedAnt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:25 pm

The forum server's been going down over the last week. Not sure how these things work or what the fix is.

Good result yesterday. The centre backs were good. Mignolet looked bolder (that punch he did, need more aggression from him.). We crawled through the first half and did well to stifle their spirit and take full control.
"The S*n: The paper you wipe your ars.e on and more sh*t comes off the paper"
RedAnt

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:29 pm

Also a mention for Rodgers. When I saw Allen was starting ahead of Sterling, I was surprised. However I thought it worked a treat, Allen did his job brilliantly.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:57 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 am wrote:Also a mention for Rodgers. When I saw Allen was starting ahead of Sterling, I was surprised. However I thought it worked a treat, Allen did his job brilliantly.

Allen was one of our better players, especially in the first half when we were right under the cosh, Gerrard was absolutely anonymous but improved in the second half as the game slowed. I'm still not sure how we managed to hold them out in that period between Suarez scoring and half time, it wasn't just down to the fact that they were playing well we exacerbated the situation by being fookin' abysmal, we literally couldn't string two passes together.
Credit to the players for riding out the storm but if that effort that hit the post would have went in I think we would have lost that game, for me the midfield need to step up to the plate again, we have won 3 games on the bounce against Fulham, Swansea and Southampton and I don't think our midfield has dominated in any of the games.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby devaney » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:36 pm

JC_81 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:54 am wrote:No knives out devaney just telling it how it is.

If you're suggesting that sturridge put in a shift in that game then you didn't watch it.  That being the case then leave the discussions to those who did watch it.

He's a really good player but to get to the next level he has to be more of a team player. That doesn't mean passing to Suarez but also defending from the front which he doesn't do enough. Sorry if that harsh truth offends anyone.

Hey JC because I don't agree with you doesn't automatically mean that I didn't watch the match. Tad on the arrogant side that mate  :;): Did I say that he put in a fantastic shift? No I didn't and too be honest that is not what I really expect from him. He's quite fragile and I would prefer that he is available to do what he does best rather than helping out our defence and risk getting injured through a rash tackle. He is not made of the same grade of titanium as Luis. Not many players are !! Yes he can improve like every player on the planet so forgive me if I agree with you that your assessment does indeed sound harsh even if I certainly do not think as you believe it to be the truth.

It's all about opinions and I think you are in a small minority of supporters looking for absolute perfection when it comes to Danny. Over the last 8 games we have amassed 20 points out of 24 and Danny has been a key reason for that during a period when Luis hasn't been scoring quite so freely. If you have to rely on Stu's miserable assessment of Sturridge that he regurgitates at every opportunity to back up your own opinion then it smacks of desperation  :laugh:
Last edited by devaney on Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:37 pm

absolutely fooking delighted we won that so convincingly, good to see suarez back to his influential self  :nod  a goal an assist and then won the pen which capped off a stellar performance from him.
its nice to keep a clean sheet also and to be on a hell of a winning run  :buttrock
was honestly shocked we walked away with that scoreline. well done liverpool  :buttrock
onwards and upwards  :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games