LIVERPOOL 2 vs Southampton 1 - Sun 17 August 2014 KO 1:30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 am

SouthCoastShankly » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:08 am wrote:
stmichael » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:39 am wrote:Poor display but a win is a win.

Last year against Stoke we played equally as bad, and we had Suarez.

I struggle to remember any opening day where we have played well. I mean look back at previous opening games of the season, they're riddled with draws and losses.

In fact a quick look at our last 10 seasons shows 3 wins, 2 losses and 5 draws. A nice little meaningless stat is each time we've won our opening game we've finished the season in a CL position. I'll take that little omen.

Suarez was banned at the start of last season mate.
The side that struggled against Stoke on the opening day of last year was remarkably similar to this one, for instance the midfield 3 were Gerrard, Lucas and Henderson and we finished the game with Sturridge, Coutinho and Sterling as our front 3. In fact 8 of the players were the same, the main difference being the 2 CB's (Toure and Agger as opposed to Lovren and Skrtel).
To be fair to Brendan I'm sure if he had the likes of Moreno, Markovic and Lallana fit and available that side yesterday would have looked a lot different although why he went with Lucas and Gerrard in the middle when Can and Allen were there I'm not sure.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 am

Thought we rode our luck on more than one occasion . Southampton were far better than I expected and they were unlucky not to come away with at least a point.

We looked good in parts but once again we're still getting bullied off the ball by a team of lesser quality but one who are prepared to just get stuck in.

Defensively there's still loads of work to be done, one or two decent/good individual performances but as a unit it seemed we were never far from "panic stations"

Obviously happy we came away with the win but against a team with more clinical finishing we'd have been turned over yesterday .   :(

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby 7_Kewell » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:45 am

Think people should note that very few of our major signings played yesterday. Add Moreno, Markovic and Lallana to yesterday’s squad and I think we would have played a lot, lot better. I also think Lucas’ days are numbered. 

Glen Johnson will stay until his contract ends, but his career at LFC is nearing its end too…
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kopite-Jud » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:13 pm

We're a lot better than that.

I think we underestimated Southampton yesterday and rode our luck at times.

Wins a win, 3 points in the bag.

Bring on City on Monday

:buttrock  :rasp
Kopite-Jud

Postby LFC1990 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:04 pm

On the captain discussion I would go with Hendo

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby kazza » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:52 pm

LFC1990 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:04 pm wrote:On the captain discussion I would go with Hendo

Too early, too young and from what I have seen too nice.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Boocity » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:38 pm

woof woof ! » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:51 am wrote:Thought we rode our luck on more than one occasion . Southampton were far better than I expected and they were unlucky not to come away with at least a point.

We looked good in parts but once again we're still getting bullied off the ball by a team of lesser quality but one who are prepared to just get stuck in.

Defensively there's still loads of work to be done, one or two decent/good individual performances but as a unit it seemed we were never far from "panic stations"

Obviously happy we came away with the win but against a team with more clinical finishing we'd have been turned over yesterday .   :(

I would say that our poor midfield and the fact we pretty much ceded it to Southampton just put our defence under undue pressure. lucas was awful and Gerrard little better. If he doesn't start with them pairing in MF we will see a different performance next week.
Last edited by Boocity on Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:23 pm

Wasn't great - bit of an understatement ! We got a result which was the important thing. Can only get better.......
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Woeful performance which exposed our weaknesses. Schneiderlin and Wanyama are as good as most midfield pairings in europe but the absolutely bossed our midfield trio. Henderson had a go but struggled and Gerrard and Lucas were poor. Skrtelś positioning was as bad as ever and Johnson was woefully inept. We got away with it however and lessons must be learnt.

Luckilly Lovren looked quality. Just a shame we didnt sign him when we should have done last season.

We have serious problems all over the pitch and this season with no Suarez to mask them and Coutinho playing out of position I really do fear for us.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:10 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:54 am wrote:Woeful performance which exposed our weaknesses. Schneiderlin and Wanyama are as good as most midfield pairings in europe but the absolutely bossed our midfield trio. Henderson had a go but struggled and Gerrard and Lucas were poor. Skrtelś positioning was as bad as ever and Johnson was woefully inept. We got away with it however and lessons must be learnt.

Luckilly Lovren looked quality. Just a shame we didnt sign him when we should have done last season.

We have serious problems all over the pitch and this season with no Suarez to mask them and Coutinho playing out of position I really do fear for us.

Coutinho played in front of the midfield three, his perfect position and the position he was most effective in last season. He was neutralised effectively by Wanyama and Schneiderlin, that is why he was largely anonymous.

He went looking for the ball and found it on the wings, he didn't start there.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Stu the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm

You may well have been happy with what you saw, at the end of the day i realise your standards arent the same as most, however, some of us want to see us dominating games, playing good football and flying forward in numbers, while being solid at the back and looking like we have a clue.
Lucas is poor, Gerrard passed it, Johnson and Skrtel wouldnt look out of place in the championship and Mignolet is a complete flapper.

Were was Can, Lallana, Markovic, Moreno? Probably goin to send them all out on loan.
Fact is, we were shocking on Sunday and got away with it due to the excellent form of Sterling, we looked shakey at the back due to the same players and average in midfield and lacking upfront.
Stu the Red
LFC Guru Member

Postby KennyisGod....still » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:23 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:05 pm wrote:You may well have been happy with what you saw, at the end of the day i realise your standards arent the same as most, however, some of us want to see us dominating games, playing good football and flying forward in numbers, while being solid at the back and looking like we have a clue.
Lucas is poor, Gerrard passed it, Johnson and Skrtel wouldnt look out of place in the championship and Mignolet is a complete flapper.

Were was Can, Lallana, Markovic, Moreno? Probably goin to send them all out on loan.
Fact is, we were shocking on Sunday and got away with it due to the excellent form of Sterling, we looked shakey at the back due to the same players and average in midfield and lacking upfront.

I take it you do realise Lallana was injured and Moreno inelligible for Sunday's game? And that the fact we took so many of their team automatically would (or at least should) have made them raise their game? We don't start seasons flying forward, haven't done so for ages. More we play ourselves in. I didn't see one team play a 90 minute dominating game this weekend, tho I didn't see the plastics last night so can't comment. Take 3 points when not playing well is a trademark we copyrighted many years ago, if that returns I'll put up with a few dodgy performances knowing that we can turn it on once into our stride thank you.
Stu Averill, a wannabe Scouse/Scot. I remember the good times & have faith in them comin back

Beside the Hillsborough Flame, I heard a Koppite mournin, "Why so many taken on that day?" Justice has never been done. But their memory we'll carry on. There'll be Glory Round The Fields Of Anfield Road
KennyisGod....still
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:46 pm

KennyisGod....still » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:23 pm wrote:
Stu the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:05 pm wrote:You may well have been happy with what you saw, at the end of the day i realise your standards arent the same as most, however, some of us want to see us dominating games, playing good football and flying forward in numbers, while being solid at the back and looking like we have a clue.

I take it you do realise Lallana was injured and Moreno inelligible for Sunday's game? And that the fact we took so many of their team automatically would (or at least should) have made them raise their game? We don't start seasons flying forward, haven't done so for ages. More we play ourselves in. I didn't see one team play a 90 minute dominating game this weekend, tho I didn't see the plastics last night so can't comment. Take 3 points when not playing well is a trademark we copyrighted many years ago, if that returns I'll put up with a few dodgy performances knowing that we can turn it on once into our stride thank you.

Apart from the Dortmund game (which was a friendly) we haven't really proven yet that we can still hit the high notes of last season without Suarez. A really good performance in the league will settle everyone's nerves I think.
Hopefully that comes on Monday.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:47 pm

Stu the Red » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:05 pm wrote:You may well have been happy with what you saw, at the end of the day i realise your standards arent the same as most, however, some of us want to see us dominating games, playing good football and flying forward in numbers, while being solid at the back and looking like we have a clue.

You're talking out of your ***** man. How can you ask where were the injured/ineligible players, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Don't know why you guys are complaining so much. Man Utd. won title after title with many performances like the one we played against Soton. Winning games that we don't deserve to shows that we have a winning mentality. I for one am happy that we actually got the 3 points in a game that we would have probably lost a year or two ago, despite the performance.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - Games