LIVERPOOL 2 vs Southampton 1 - Sun 17 August 2014 KO 1:30pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Homebooby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm

maguskwt » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:39 pm wrote:We have mentioned many times last season that Gerrard and Lucas pairing is a disaster waiting to happen. Yet, here we are pairing Gerrard and Lucas again, and here we are completely bossed by a mid-table team in midfield after like 30 mins or so.

I hope that BR sees this. I hope that this pairing is temporary and will not happen again.

Last I'll say for a while but agree here fully. It's embarrassing almost. I really hope that Stevie gets the chance and space with a good couple of midfielders in front of him to do what he's there to do. He's currently a shadow of his former self though.
Homebooby

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:43 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:27 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:Johnson wasn't great but the blame for a performance like that lies squarely with the midfield. IMO Southampton were the better side, they bossed the midfield, they bossed the game and they had the better chances.
how they only scored 1 goal god only knows.
Lucas and Gerrard should not play in the same midfield again, they are so one paced and pedestrian it's untrue.
The keeper looks like a disaster waiting to happen but that one he palmed onto the crossbar was an incredible save.
southampton succeeded in the midfield by neutralising Coutinho.

Good job done. Hats off.

If Gerrards name was Joe Bloggs everyone would be saying he brings nothing to the table, he is living on his reputation, Lucas is the same. In a league as dynamic as the prem you just can't afford to carry two CM's who are so one paced.
When they are on the ball everything is just sideways and backwards, there is no drive or change of tempo, we just seem to fall into a lethargic trance.
It's a good job we bought all Southampton's best players in the summer or that could have been embaressing.
The worrying thing for me was how long it took Rodgers to change it, their goal wasn't out of the blue, you could see it coming a mile off.
If we play like that against City they will wipe the floor with us
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:45 pm

SouthCoastShankly » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:27 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:21 pm wrote:Johnson wasn't great but the blame for a performance like that lies squarely with the midfield. IMO Southampton were the better side, they bossed the midfield, they bossed the game and they had the better chances.
how they only scored 1 goal god only knows.
Lucas and Gerrard should not play in the same midfield again, they are so one paced and pedestrian it's untrue.
The keeper looks like a disaster waiting to happen but that one he palmed onto the crossbar was an incredible save.
southampton succeeded in the midfield by neutralising Coutinho.

Good job done. Hats off.

We were a bit flat because Gerrard and Lucas offered nothing. Southampton packed the midfield hence Henderson & Coutinho got crowded out. We're still not full strength and I hoped Moreno will leave Johnson on the bench, and Can, Lallana and Markovic should give us more options up front. Lovren and Manquillo looked solid and a good addition to the team but Johnson and Lucas should not be seen in a red shirt again.
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 17, 2014 4:52 pm

wasnt pretty but il take the 3 points anyday. we were very flat and got overran easily when they put it up.
we have 8 days now to prepare for city and the fitness levels will need to be much higher and i think they will.
we need to spend on a quality addition up front or a lot is going to be expected of markovic and lallana.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Greavesie » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:28 pm

Not a lot has changed really, still can't play a second half, Johnson is still poo, Lucas can't cut it anymore and Ming still looks like a disaster waiting to happen

Lallana may address the Lucas issue, he seems quite well rounded so I'm looking forward to him slotting in. Unless its a case of Gerrard and Lucas not working in a midfield three then only playing Lucas when Gerrard isn't in the team.

Don't understand the whinging about Can, maybe he wasn't suited/is unfit or Rodgers fancied someone else to do the job, I don't see any issue in that at all

Lovren is a big positive to take tho, he looks like he could marshall the backline well and when Moreno replaced Johnson hopefully they all depend on each other, can't help but feel Johnson's uselessness makes everyone a little uneasy, Ming may be a factor in that as well

and Raheem is gonna be massive for us, chuffed he's stepped up, Sturridge still knows where the net is as well. Once Lallana and Markovic come back in we'll look more solid I reckon, happy to get the three points on opening day but loads of room for improvement. Onwards and upwards
Last edited by Greavesie on Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 pm

Wow we really saved our ***** in this one. But reading some of the posts on here someone would think we lost! "Picking up where we left off"?, "Not a lot has changed"? Jesus Christ lads we finished second last season, I'd be glad if we pick up where we left off! Sure we had to fight for the 3 points here but so did Arsenal and Spurs against much lesser sides. Man Utd weren't as lucky. That's the Premier League for you guys, thought you'd be used to it by now.   

Anyway, I'm surprised there is no mention of Skrtel, I thought he was a beast. Cleared his lines and made no mistakes, wave after wave after wave... He was my man of the match.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Santa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:43 pm

damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:27 pm wrote:Anyway, I'm surprised there is no mention of Skrtel, I thought he was a beast. Cleared his lines and made no mistakes, wave after wave after wave... He was my man of the match.

Skrtel can't lead but with Lovren marshalling the defensive line, we "might" just get to see the best out of Skrtel yet? ???
Never try to teach a pig to sing...

...it only waste your time, and annoys the pig
Santa
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC1990 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Start with positives

Hendo for me was motm I think he done the job of 3 midfielders today and has proved what a great player he is

Skrtel and Lovren looked strong in the centre especially Lovren who I think will turn out to be our best transfer this year.

Sterling was amazing that's all there is to say

3 points

Negatives

Lucas and Gerrard was pisspoor I think Gerrard needs Hendersons or cans legs playing alongside him

Johnson should be given away hopefully Moreno will replace the bag of *****

Mignolet looked dodgy and that will get punished by a better side .

The master and his apprentice
LFC1990
LFC Super Member

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:50 pm

Santa » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:43 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 5:27 pm wrote:Anyway, I'm surprised there is no mention of Skrtel, I thought he was a beast. Cleared his lines and made no mistakes, wave after wave after wave... He was my man of the match.

Skrtel can't lead but with Lovren marshalling the defensive line, we "might" just get to see the best out of Skrtel yet? ???

It's possible that Lovren has an influence on him but we'll have to wait and see because we've already seen Skrtel having an outstanding performance and then defend like a schoolboy in later games.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 pm

damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 pm wrote:Wow we really saved our ***** in this one. But reading some of the posts on here someone would think we lost! "Picking up where we left off"?, "Not a lot has changed"? Jesus Christ lads we finished second last season, I'd be glad if we pick up where we left off! Sure we had to fight for the 3 points here but so did Arsenal and Spurs against much lesser sides. Man Utd weren't as lucky. That's the Premier League for you guys, thought you'd be used to it by now.   

Anyway, I'm surprised there is no mention of Skrtel, I thought he was a beast. Cleared his lines and made no mistakes, wave after wave after wave... He was my man of the match.

shame on you lad  :nod  shrek   :ghostface:   and as your captain  :kungfu:
:D
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:05 pm

Liverpool missed a trick not signing Wanyama,he  was immense for the saints earlier ,but enough about the powerhouses Southampton have somehow managed to
retain ,our midfield were non existent albeit from Henderson ,Gerrard's and Lucas's respective roles had me scratching my head all game ,both were pushed back
too regularly to be comfortable. Koeman will have the Saints playing intricate football ,we all knew that ,he would also make life difficult for our most inventive players
we also knew that ,so why a more combative midfielder wasn't used to break up Southampton's play in the middle of the park  and afford Coutinho more time on the
ball was completely bemusing ,eventually Rodgers introduced Allen and this limited Southampton's midfield domination,but he should have been brought on far earlier.

Now the plus points

We take three points from a rather unknown quantity in terms of playing personnel ,plus they had a new manager at the helm in the astute Koeman ,Sterling has moved
his game up a level ,and our two new additions in defence performed admirably ,and we still have Moreno to add to the equation ,add to that we still have yet to blood
Markovic ,Lallana ,Can in a competitive game in the Prem ,and it all bodes well for the future.

I'm happy with the three points as the first games of a new season are notoriously difficult to win ,you only have to look at yesterdays struggles to testify to that ,but we
will have to be a lot sharper and a lot more composed for the city game.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:15 pm

I still can't believe Brendan played Gerrard and Lucas in the same midfield, it's not as if we had an injury crisis in the centre, both Allen and Can were on the bench.
Strange decision that one.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:28 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:15 pm wrote:I still can't believe Brendan played Gerrard and Lucas in the same midfield, it's not as if we had an injury crisis in the centre, both Allen and Can were on the bench.
Strange decision that one.

I know ,its not like he's somehow alien to the fact that having two midfielders bereft of pace on the field at the same time simply doesn't sit right....I mean he's tried it
often enough.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:31 pm

If Rafa was watching that, I don't think he'll be rushing to convince the bosses at Napoli..
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:40 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 pm wrote:
damjan193 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:27 pm wrote:Wow we really saved our ***** in this one. But reading some of the posts on here someone would think we lost! "Picking up where we left off"?, "Not a lot has changed"? Jesus Christ lads we finished second last season, I'd be glad if we pick up where we left off! Sure we had to fight for the 3 points here but so did Arsenal and Spurs against much lesser sides. Man Utd weren't as lucky. That's the Premier League for you guys, thought you'd be used to it by now.   

shame on you lad  :nod  shrek   :ghostface:   and as your captain  :kungfu:
:D

:laugh:  f*ck off, I still kicked everyone's ***** this gameweek :D
damjan193
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games