Liverpool v besiktas - Post match discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby 66-1112520797 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:11 am

That took me back to 89' when we beat Palace 9-0, even though Palace were better than Beskitas.

A great game to watch for any Liverpool fan, we had tempo, pressing and hunger that has eluded our game of the last month or two. On top of that we had a focal point in attack and a threat, it must be a dream for Stevie G to have Crouch infront of him. With Crouch's touch, positioning and the ability to hold and lay the ball off for the surging Gerrard it makes the captain that so much more of a threat. Also Crouch took his goals well too, he had a very good all round game and showed Rafa what we've been missing of late.

For me and the reason I started the "boring" thread is because when Kuyt is placed upfront, as we all know he is usually anywhere but, and even when he is his touch is poor. We then looked sterile in attack and devoid of ideas as the midfield have to do the added task of scoring goals without a focal point.

All eleven players were great, Arbeloa particulary was very threatening in the first half and found masses of space down the right. Aurelio on the other side looked quite comfortable and did well, we were offered width by Besikas. Come Saturday Fulham wont nearly give us as much space, they'll look to do what Blackburn did to us. Compact the midfield play a higher line and press alot better (premiership style) this is where we struggle in the Prem, breaking down and putting defensively organised teams to the sword.

Mascha and Gerrard did well in the middle together, and Beneyoun had a very good game to. You could see his confidence and even work rate rise after his first couple of goals. It was there for all to see from the Israeli, I hope he can carry that form into his next games. Carra, Sami and Reina were just spectators.

Voronin has not convinced me yet, and I've a gut feeling he wont, but his flick on to Gerrard was sublime which was the most notable thing he did all night, like Kuyt the work rate is there but thats not enough.

Babel would of been another player who's confidence was boosted by his goals and his display, both his goals really summed up Liverpool for me in that game. His first goal was just pure class, and so was our football at times. His second came about from his tenacious work, and like the goal we were tenacious all over the park.
66-1112520797

Postby bunglemark2 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:21 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Who the 'kin hell can honestly say that Benayoun was or is a class player based on last night's performance ? Face it - Besiktas were muck; they had a keeper who handed Benayoun two goals on a plate.....and for most of the rest of the game, Benayoun failed to "ghost" past a single player. Tried too many times to take a player on and skin him, and failed pretty much every single time. Either that or he was pushed off the ball way, way too easily. Suggestion: Go and eat a whack load of pies, put a bit of meat on you, train hard, do weights, do some sprinting....Maybe then you might be as good as - God forbid! - some of our competitors' wingers....
LFC beat Derby by 6 goals to no reply. We looked good - not great - in that match too.

But you can be damn sure that Porto will not give us anything like the freedom Anfield like Besiktas did last night. The first ten minutes, Carra and Hyypia were almost stuffed again.

I am a big, big LFC fan....but I have this niggling feeling we're not going to get out of this group.

Mr Benitez: Was your decision to play Crouch last night validated by the mayhem he caused in their defence ? What the f**k was going through your head for the game two weeks ago then ??

What about his two assists then ?
3 goals and 2 assists from a right sided midfielder will more than do for me. Yes two of the goals were tap ins but he was alert and followed in like a forward would. Pennant wouldnt of got himself in there.

Hell, *I* could have done what Benayoun did last nite, Besiktas were that bad.

Look, there are too many people getting carried away here : record CL victory here; fantastic individual contribution there..etc...etc..

There is NOTHING from last night's performance that suggests to me that we have a right to expect to make it out of this group, or that we can launch a credible campaign henceforth on either the Premiership or the Champions League.

We were beaten 2-1 by a team we subsequently emabarrassed by a cricket score. Where's the consistency in that ? The explanation ? Too many players not pulling their weight, for one.

It's very easy for, say, Mascherano to thread an inch perfect pass for Gerrard for SG's goal last night. Why the hell has he not done it before now ? Does he only do it against Sunday League teams.....

Sorry folks, not being negative here, but let's all take off the rose-tinted glasses

Clueless, every last word is a joke.

A quality retort....
At the risk of repeating myself - wake yerself up and smell the coffee.
And contrary to public perception, I *DO* have LFC's best interests at heart. I just won't get carried away by a nothing-game
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Leonmc0708 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:39 am

bunglemark2 wrote:
Leonmc0708 wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
Ace Ventura wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:Who the 'kin hell can honestly say that Benayoun was or is a class player based on last night's performance ? Face it - Besiktas were muck; they had a keeper who handed Benayoun two goals on a plate.....and for most of the rest of the game, Benayoun failed to "ghost" past a single player. Tried too many times to take a player on and skin him, and failed pretty much every single time. Either that or he was pushed off the ball way, way too easily. Suggestion: Go and eat a whack load of pies, put a bit of meat on you, train hard, do weights, do some sprinting....Maybe then you might be as good as - God forbid! - some of our competitors' wingers....
LFC beat Derby by 6 goals to no reply. We looked good - not great - in that match too.

But you can be damn sure that Porto will not give us anything like the freedom Anfield like Besiktas did last night. The first ten minutes, Carra and Hyypia were almost stuffed again.

I am a big, big LFC fan....but I have this niggling feeling we're not going to get out of this group.

Mr Benitez: Was your decision to play Crouch last night validated by the mayhem he caused in their defence ? What the f**k was going through your head for the game two weeks ago then ??

What about his two assists then ?
3 goals and 2 assists from a right sided midfielder will more than do for me. Yes two of the goals were tap ins but he was alert and followed in like a forward would. Pennant wouldnt of got himself in there.

Hell, *I* could have done what Benayoun did last nite, Besiktas were that bad.

Look, there are too many people getting carried away here : record CL victory here; fantastic individual contribution there..etc...etc..

There is NOTHING from last night's performance that suggests to me that we have a right to expect to make it out of this group, or that we can launch a credible campaign henceforth on either the Premiership or the Champions League.

We were beaten 2-1 by a team we subsequently emabarrassed by a cricket score. Where's the consistency in that ? The explanation ? Too many players not pulling their weight, for one.

It's very easy for, say, Mascherano to thread an inch perfect pass for Gerrard for SG's goal last night. Why the hell has he not done it before now ? Does he only do it against Sunday League teams.....

Sorry folks, not being negative here, but let's all take off the rose-tinted glasses

Clueless, every last word is a joke.

A quality retort....
At the risk of repeating myself - wake yerself up and smell the coffee.
And contrary to public perception, I *DO* have LFC's best interests at heart. I just won't get carried away by a nothing-game

You started by claiming that YOU could have scored a hat trick in European competition.

Are you Stu the Red in disguise ?
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby stmichael » Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:40 pm

I thought there was a number of possible reasons why we played so well on Tuesday night. One of the main reasons were the full backs. Arbeloa was always overlapping Benayoun at every opportunity and Besiktas just couldnt handle his movement. Add to that Aurellio who although he didnt overlap Riise as much still has the ability to deliver a great cross from the halfway line. The main advantage of having these players as full backs is they rarely just kick the ball up front and prefer to pass the ball into midfield or across the field to a centre half. This allows us to keep possession and look at other avenues to attack.

Another big thing was the inclusion of Peter Crouch. At the start of the season whenever he got a limited start he was gash and looked disinterested but over the last few games his form has been coming back and the other night he was superb. As you would expect Crouch won everything in the air and his control and hold up play was brilliant.

Mascherano again was top drawer and you wouldnt even tell Sissoko wasnt there because he did the work out two men. Nothing got past him and his passing was superb as well.

Players such as Benayoun who offers a far greater goal threat then Pennant on the wing and Voronin deserve special credit, especially the latter whose setup play was brilliant.

All in all there was too many positives to list them all but because we kept it simple and just passed to the nearest red who was in space this allowed us to keep the ball moving and continue the attack. Pass and move, its not rocket science. You witnessed a display that was made without a striker like Torres on the pitch. It was a display that didnt really contain that many long passes just short and simple.

Made up for Babel getting two of hopefully many more goals aswell.

Yes I'm getting carried away. :D
Last edited by stmichael on Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby Ola Mr Benitez » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:48 pm

stmichael wrote:I thought there was a number of possible reasons why we played so well on Tuesday night. One of the main reasons were the full backs. Arbeloa was always overlapping Benayoun at every opportunity and Besiktas just couldnt handle his movement. Add to that Aurellio who although he didnt overlap Riise as much still has the ability to deliver a great cross from the halfway line. The main advantage of having these players as full backs is they rarely just kick the ball up front and prefer to pass the ball into midfield or across the field to a centre half. This allows us to keep possession and look at other avenues to attack.

Another big thing was the inclusion of Peter Crouch. At the start of the season whenever he got a limited start he was gash and looked disinterested but over the last few games his form has been coming back and the other night he was superb. As you would expect Crouch won everything in the air and his control and hold up play was brilliant.

Mascherano again was top drawer and you wouldnt even tell Sissoko wasnt there because he did the work out two men. Nothing got past him and his passing was superb as well.

Players such as Benayoun who offers a far greater goal threat then Pennant on the wing and Voronin deserve special credit, especially the latter whose setup play was brilliant.

All in all there was too many positives to list them all but because we kept it simple and just passed to the nearest red who was in space this allowed us to keep the ball moving and continue the attack. Pass and move, its not rocket science. You witnessed a display that was made without a striker like Torres on the pitch. It was a display that didnt really contain that many long passes just short and simple.

Made up for Babel getting two of hopefully many more goals aswell.

Yes I'm getting carried away. :D

Pass and move, its the Anfield groove!

:D
Our job is simple, to support the club, not just parts of the club that are easy to support, but every one who plays a part, that includes ALL players.  We are stronger when we are all walking in the same direction. Walk On
Ola Mr Benitez

Postby Judge » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:02 pm

woohoo........................... butano :p
Judge
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:13 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote: I just won't get carried away by a nothing-game

??? You say trying to qualify for Europe is a nothing game ?

I bet the nothing games before in Europe where the reason you started to support us in the first place.

8-0 and its still not fuckin good enough.

Unbelieveable.
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Sabre » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Ciggy wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote:
bunglemark2 wrote: I just won't get carried away by a nothing-game

??? You say trying to qualify for Europe is a nothing game ?

I bet the nothing games before in Europe where the reason you started to support us in the first place.

8-0 and its still not fuckin good enough.

Unbelieveable.

People are right to say that Besiktas were poor, but they're wrong if they think that you get 8-0 if you don't play well.

So both statements are true. Besiktas, a team that has more quality than many premiership or la liga teams INDIVIDUALLY, was a show of mistakes and how not to defend properly (they'd be relegated in Spain or England playing with that intensity). A perfect example of how skill and technique is not useful if you don't run and press and be concentrated.

So they were poor yes, but no-one scores 8 goals without doing an excellent job in all senses, not only finishing, but also recovering the ball.
Last edited by Sabre on Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:41 am

poor keeper, let 8 in and got kicked in the chops for his troubles

112-1077774096

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:44 am

i just saw posh spices diary, she must be a liverpool fan, this is what it said

"tuesday:  ate nothing"

112-1077774096

Postby babu » Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:56 am

peewee wrote:i just saw posh spices diary, she must be a liverpool fan, this is what it said

:D ... not funny...

:laugh:

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby muzodziwa » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:59 am

now peewee you got me laughing there mate ( though i am in the "in Rafa we trust brigade"), Beskitas were poor but there was a team that taught them a footballing lerson and dare we despise the champions league gurus.

We might have played s***e before this game but what we managed to do against this small team is to just remind them who we are, and indeed when it comes to the champions league Liverpool is the daddy.
muzodziwa

Postby 112-1077774096 » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:37 am

babu wrote:
peewee wrote:i just saw posh spices diary, she must be a liverpool fan, this is what it said

:D ... not funny...

:laugh:

it's hilere.......helerious.....erm hilairies............ah it's very funny

112-1077774096

Postby stmichael » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:30 pm

check out these comedians at it again

http://www.rte.ie/sport....ull,228
Last edited by stmichael on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stmichael
Forum Moderator

Postby GFB_oNuR » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:22 pm

Paulobjk , i know you are fan of bjk . don't be funny . Fu*k the rest we are best !
GENC FENERBAHCELILER  &  THE  KOP     

WE HATE [G]alat[A]sara[Y]
GFB_oNuR

Previous

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion