Bad Bob wrote:
peewee wrote:qualification is not in our own hands

Is that true?

Aren't the standings as follows?:

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

By my maths, we're through if we beat Porto and Marseille (assuming they both beat Besiktas), unless Marseille manage to tonk Besiktas by an even greater scoreline to over come our goal difference advantage.  Have I missed something? ???

yes bob, you have missed the point that its not in our hands, we still have to rely on other results

the most we can get is 10 points, that means beating porto and marseille, if that happens and they both beat bestikas that will leave porto on 11 points and qualified and marseille on 10 points, so of course it will come down to goal difference. so like i say its not in our hands, we have to rely on others to not better us.

the fact is if we win our two games we will not automatically go through, we have to hope marseille dont do what we did last night.

You're wrong peewee. It's very much in our hands. If we finish on the same points as Marseille, then it goes on head to head results. If it finishes 1-0 to us, then it will go to goal difference. We need to beat Porto and Marseille, it doesn't get much more in our own hands than that.

Back to the game. :censored:!n' awesome!! What a statement of intent, to come out of our "rut" with an emphatic win. Rafa needs to do the right thing now and pick the same players for the game against Fulham. No more dickin' about. I can't believe that Crouch has hardly had a game this season, especially given Kuyt's form.

no mate i am not wrong, qualification does not rest in our hands. even if we win our two games we still have to rely on others for us to win on goal difference. the fact is we can not get through on points alone if marseille beat besiktas, thats what i am getting at.

its not as though two wins will guarantee us second place, this is the point i am making

I know exactly what you mean, but qualification is still in our own hands. If we win our next two games, say 4-0, then we will qualify.  Compare this situation to that of the National team. If Russia win their remaining two games and Croatia win their next game, then England cannot qualify - even if they beat Croatia 100 - 0.

Now that, my friend,  is the difference between having qualification in your own hands and having to rely on other results  :nod .

Apart from the head-to-head bit, this is what I thought.  So, the only aspect that's not in our hands is how much Marseille beat Besiktas by, which only matters if (after beating Porto) we only beat them 1-0 (bringing us level on head-to-head meetings).  So, I'd say it's 98% in our hands! :D
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby JoeTerp » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:51 pm

JoeTerp

Postby heimdall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:09 pm

Very happy with the result and performance last night, I really hope now that rafa continues playing this team as it seemed very good and very confident. I also much prefer seeing Riise in Midfield, I think he is a lot happier in that position although Harry also looks awesome. But we have to realise that Besiktas effectivly gave up after a short time, I feel sorry for the fans as that was disgraceful of the Besiktas players.

I'm now looking forward to the Fulham game and hope we can continue this momentum but it will be a much much stiffer test for the lads. At times yesterday our football was excellent though and I agree that Rafa has to allow the players this kind of freedom in all the matches instead of imposing his tactical genius all the time!

Still want Rafa out though, I have to keep consistent and not be fickle :D  :p
heimdall

Postby kunilson » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:47 pm

Riise really impressed me last night, i haven't seen him control the ball and use his BRAIN for a long time like that...Aurelio was impressive and benayoun was class.

the whole team played well and we needed to give a team a good :censored: over like last night. now the media will be on our side again! weeeeehaaaaaaay.

seriously thought crouch was also brilliant, and i like the way he is making his football do the talking. one of those great european nights again....crowd seemed a bit quiet again ???
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby Feugo » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:47 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Image

hahaha.. Benayoun really want to win the ball doesnt he.. hardworking playa.
En taro tassadar!

ImageImage
Feugo

Postby Ade » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:03 pm

kunilson wrote:Riise really impressed me last night, i haven't seen him control the ball and use his BRAIN for a long time like that...Aurelio was impressive and benayoun was class.

the whole team played well and we needed to give a team a good :censored: over like last night. now the media will be on our side again! weeeeehaaaaaaay.

seriously thought crouch was also brilliant, and i like the way he is making his football do the talking. one of those great european nights again....crowd seemed a bit quiet again ???

Sorry to bring a bit of criticism in to this thread, because i thought we were excellent, but Riise was poor. On a night when nearly the whole team played well, and against one of the most feeble displays I've seen at Anfield from a visiting side in years, I thought Riise still looked all at sea. His passes were going astray, he looked rushed and lacking composure - and in contrast to Aurelio, who can really drill a crisp slide pass, and cross the ball with a bit of whip.

no point going overboard when we played well, but the opportunity was there for every red to look good last night, and I don't think Riise did.

If Kewell stays fit now, Aurelio must get the nod at LB, with Arbeloa as cover. And I know you don't listen to every rumour on Das Beeb, but Allan Green was saying last night before kick-off that every fan they spoke to outside Anfield was telling him Riise is off to Villa in January.
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby bunglemark2 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Who the 'kin hell can honestly say that Benayoun was or is a class player based on last night's performance ? Face it - Besiktas were muck; they had a keeper who handed Benayoun two goals on a plate.....and for most of the rest of the game, Benayoun failed to "ghost" past a single player. Tried too many times to take a player on and skin him, and failed pretty much every single time. Either that or he was pushed off the ball way, way too easily. Suggestion: Go and eat a whack load of pies, put a bit of meat on you, train hard, do weights, do some sprinting....Maybe then you might be as good as - God forbid! - some of our competitors' wingers....
LFC beat Derby by 6 goals to no reply. We looked good - not great - in that match too.

But you can be damn sure that Porto will not give us anything like the freedom Anfield like Besiktas did last night. The first ten minutes, Carra and Hyypia were almost stuffed again.

I am a big, big LFC fan....but I have this niggling feeling we're not going to get out of this group.

Mr Benitez: Was your decision to play Crouch last night validated by the mayhem he caused in their defence ? What the f**k was going through your head for the game two weeks ago then ??
http://s2.tinypic.com/30ldif7_th.jpg
See yooo, Judas. Yoo're gettin' on mah titz !
bunglemark2

Postby Ade » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:27 pm

http://football.guardian.co.uk/championsleague200708/story/0,,2206451,00.html
Ade
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby supersub » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:28 pm

An attempt to clear up our qualification.

If we win both games we qualify...therefore it is in our hands

Lets say for instance porto beat besiktas & finish top

Marseilles score against Besiktas is irrelevant because it goes on a head to head therefore if we both had a 1-0 victory over each other the nexst head to head comparison is how you both faired against the team in 1st place.This would mean we qualify because we have had a draw and a win to be in that position ,whereas Marseille have had a draw and a defeat.

If this scenario is wrong please respond ,if you don't know then wait and see
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW SHINING AT THE END OF EVERY DAY.
THERE'S A GREAT BIG BEAUTIFUL TOMORROW AND TOMORROW IS JUST A DREAM AWAY.
supersub
Forum Moderator

Postby RichardLFC1 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:35 pm

A bit of the subject of the game. But does anyone know the words to the Weve got the best defence in the world song ?

RIP DRUMMERPHIL
RichardLFC1
LFC Super Member

Postby Sabre » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:36 pm

If we play fueled by despair, how they play Manchester United, Arsenal and Chelsea, teams that if you put all them together haven't won't the same amount of European silverware? Surely they must be despaired to win it?

It's them who have still their *relevance* in Europe, not Liverpool who already has shown their greatness.
Last edited by Sabre on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOS member #1499

Drummerphil, never forgotten.
Sabre
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:39 pm

bunglemark2 wrote:Who the 'kin hell can honestly say that Benayoun was or is a class player based on last night's performance ? Face it - Besiktas were muck; they had a keeper who handed Benayoun two goals on a plate.....and for most of the rest of the game, Benayoun failed to "ghost" past a single player. Tried too many times to take a player on and skin him, and failed pretty much every single time. Either that or he was pushed off the ball way, way too easily. Suggestion: Go and eat a whack load of pies, put a bit of meat on you, train hard, do weights, do some sprinting....Maybe then you might be as good as - God forbid! - some of our competitors' wingers....
LFC beat Derby by 6 goals to no reply. We looked good - not great - in that match too.

But you can be damn sure that Porto will not give us anything like the freedom Anfield like Besiktas did last night. The first ten minutes, Carra and Hyypia were almost stuffed again.

I am a big, big LFC fan....but I have this niggling feeling we're not going to get out of this group.

Mr Benitez: Was your decision to play Crouch last night validated by the mayhem he caused in their defence ? What the f**k was going through your head for the game two weeks ago then ??

What about his two assists then ?
3 goals and 2 assists from a right sided midfielder will more than do for me. Yes two of the goals were tap ins but he was alert and followed in like a forward would. Pennant wouldnt of got himself in there.
Last edited by Ace Ventura on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby EddieC » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:41 pm

JoeTerp wrote:Image

Remember those photoshop jobs after Crouch's bicycle kick last year? Same could be done with this pic.
EddieC
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:50 pm

I can't believe this place sometimes. We've been playing kak for weeks. When we put in a record breaking champions league performance, we've got people puttin the boot into Riise, someone slagging all our goals off as being "soft", saying we only won because they were so poor, their keeper winning us the game and someone slagging of the player that got a hat trick and two assists.
While not getting too carried away, let's enjoy the win for what it was. All the lads did well last night, some more than others. And while Besiktas were no Barcelona, they are still a Champions League side who have already beaten us, so they're no mugs. It says it all that no other team has won by that scoreline in the Champions League before. We earned it, so give credit where credit's due.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby crazyhorse » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:08 pm

We put 8 past a team in the CL. Period.
Although they played very poorly we still needed to be professional and put the ball in the net.
One of the biggest plus points for me was that Harry looked sharp and fit. i hope he gets a start soon.
THIS IS ANFIELD
crazyhorse
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion