Bad Bob wrote:
peewee wrote:qualification is not in our own hands

Is that true?

Aren't the standings as follows?:

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

By my maths, we're through if we beat Porto and Marseille (assuming they both beat Besiktas), unless Marseille manage to tonk Besiktas by an even greater scoreline to over come our goal difference advantage.  Have I missed something? ???

yes bob, you have missed the point that its not in our hands, we still have to rely on other results

the most we can get is 10 points, that means beating porto and marseille, if that happens and they both beat bestikas that will leave porto on 11 points and qualified and marseille on 10 points, so of course it will come down to goal difference. so like i say its not in our hands, we have to rely on others to not better us.

the fact is if we win our two games we will not automatically go through, we have to hope marseille dont do what we did last night.

You're wrong peewee. It's very much in our hands. If we finish on the same points as Marseille, then it goes on head to head results. If it finishes 1-0 to us, then it will go to goal difference. We need to beat Porto and Marseille, it doesn't get much more in our own hands than that.

Back to the game. :censored:!n' awesome!! What a statement of intent, to come out of our "rut" with an emphatic win. Rafa needs to do the right thing now and pick the same players for the game against Fulham. No more dickin' about. I can't believe that Crouch has hardly had a game this season, especially given Kuyt's form.
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:12 am

Owzat wrote:
woof woof ! wrote:8-0 .Are we that good or were the turks just awful ?

TURKISH DEL-EIGHT, great result but honestly I'd say all of the goals were soft as sheet. Don't get me wrong, excellent stuff giving the accusations of "boring" that have been offered recently, but the Turks are traditionally poor travellers outside their pits of hate. Their keeper had a hand literally in too many of the goals

THE GOALS

1. Crouch (1) - poor defending let in Crouch whose limp shot was gifted back to him. He did well to guide it in, but frankly had he missed I think we'd be crucifying him right now for missing an open goal

2. Benayoun (1) - wasn't our throw in, great and quick thinking by Riise and Voronin with a lovely chipped cross that Benayoun finished brilliantly

3. Benayoun (2) - poor defending and a parried shot that Benayoun just put in the net

4. Benayoun (4) - keeper spilled a free-kick into the path of Benayoun for his hat-trick, another soft goal that could have been avoided

5. Gerrard - the pick of the goals, brilliant interplay of quick passing and finally Voronin cleverly laid it on to Gerrard whose shot was deflected into the net. It was good, not great defending mind and the deflection made sure it went in

6. Babel (1) - substitute Babel cleverly back-heeling the ball past a slow keeper, reminiscent of a Barnes back-heel from headier days. Benayoun fed up with scoring at will laid this one on!

7. Babel (2) - bit kind to give this to Babel, he pressured a defender and the ball ricocheted off Babel and lobbed into the net.

8. Crouch (2) - Crouch became the third player with two or more goals to his name, and finished what he started. A decent headed finish from Benayoun's cross

Maybe the best thing came from this was Benayoun's hat-trick and assists, am I the only one who thinks he should play up front? He's a converted striker anyway and showed composure in front of goal, no lack of pace getting into the box and can beat players, dribble and has all the skills that could make him another Peter Beardsley

Looking at his career he was Ajax's youth team leading scorer, scored 15 goals in 25 games for Hapoel Tel Aviv and scored 55 goals in 3 seasons at Maccabi Haifa. Only when he moved to Santander and then England have his goals dried up, but that doesn't mean he can't score enough for us if played up front. Got to be better than Kuyt, despite Crouch's brace last night he's still only got 10 champions League goal in 27 matches and 34 goals in 109 overall (0.312 goals/app)

I was pleased that we got a few scrappy 6 yard box type goals last night, as we usually dont get too many of them. Better than having to rely on a wonder strike from 40yds anyway. 

I know it may seem a little harsh after they scored five goals between them lst night, but I am still not convinced with Babel and Benayoun. Hopefully they will both go on to change my mind and prove me totaly wrong.

Of Crouch's 27 appearances in the CL, 7 have been as a sub, so his record is better than the bare facts might suggest. In the league 22 of his 69 appearances have also come as a sub which again distorts his goalscoring record somewhat.
Last edited by account deleted by request on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
account deleted by request

Postby spanish_boy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:22 am

Torres is the most overestimated player in Spanish history! Everybody here hates him except people in Madrid and Madrid newspapers. Even in international matches he has been booed and both Atlético de Madrid and Spanish Team score more goals without him.

You have been cheated, he doesn't cost more than 1000 pounds! Awful player, Crouch much better!!! Unfortunately there in England you don't catcall your own players. Good luck and try not too draw all the time; you gotta win the Premier League!

Regards from Spain
Last edited by spanish_boy on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
spanish_boy

Postby dawson99 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:29 am

spanish_boy wrote:Torres is the most overestimated player in Spanish history! Everybody here hates him except people in Madrid and Madrid newspapers. Even in international matches he has been booed and both Atlético de Madrid and Spanish Team score more goals without him.

You have been cheated, he doesn't cost more than 1000 pounds! Awful player, Crouch much better!!! Unfortunately there in England you don't catcall your own players. Good luck and try not too draw all the time; you gotta win the Premier League!

Regards from Spain

WUM

great display last night. yossi came good, crouch came good, babel played like he should. Everyone was class, and i made a killing.

it was the kickstart we needed but need to keep up that exact tempo
0118 999 881 999 119 7253
dawson99
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:37 am

spanish_boy wrote:Torres is the most overestimated player in Spanish history! Everybody here hates him except people in Madrid and Madrid newspapers. Even in international matches he has been booed and both Atlético de Madrid and Spanish Team score more goals without him.

Regards from Spain

I guess this is the type of $hit that started your civil wars.

Oasis, Karim, LFC2007  :D , Willy, noseybonk.
Last edited by 66-1112520797 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
66-1112520797

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:41 am

BTW havent seen the match yet, I'll post later about it.

From what I can gather though, Leon's glasses have gone two shades darker red.
66-1112520797

Postby account deleted by request » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:48 am

Bamaga man wrote:BTW havent seen the match yet, I'll post later about it.

:laugh:

Btw I think you were a bit harsh on Kuyt, I think we may have even won last night if Kuyt had played, maybe only 1 -0 but I still think we could have won it.  :D
account deleted by request

Postby 66-1112520797 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:53 am

s@int wrote:
Bamaga man wrote:BTW havent seen the match yet, I'll post later about it.

:laugh:

Btw I think you were a bit harsh on Kuyt, I think we may have even won last night if Kuyt had played, maybe only 1 -0 but I still think we could have won it.  :D

Harsh on Kuyt ?

Kin ell Saint, if he'd a played we would of drawn 0-0 or worse still lost.

Kuyt is an infertile striker  :D
66-1112520797

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:59 am

NiftyNeil wrote:
peewee wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Is that true?

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

By my maths, we're through if we beat Porto and Marseille (assuming they both beat Besiktas), unless Marseille manage to tonk Besiktas by an even greater scoreline to over come our goal difference advantage.  Have I missed something? ???

yes bob, you have missed the point that its not in our hands, we still have to rely on other results

the most we can get is 10 points, that means beating porto and marseille, if that happens and they both beat bestikas that will leave porto on 11 points and qualified and marseille on 10 points, so of course it will come down to goal difference. so like i say its not in our hands, we have to rely on others to not better us.

the fact is if we win our two games we will not automatically go through, we have to hope marseille dont do what we did last night.

You're wrong peewee. It's very much in our hands. If we finish on the same points as Marseille, then it goes on head to head results. If it finishes 1-0 to us, then it will go to goal difference. We need to beat Porto and Marseille, it doesn't get much more in our own hands than that.

Back to the game. :censored:!n' awesome!! What a statement of intent, to come out of our "rut" with an emphatic win. Rafa needs to do the right thing now and pick the same players for the game against Fulham. No more dickin' about. I can't believe that Crouch has hardly had a game this season, especially given Kuyt's form.

no mate i am not wrong, qualification does not rest in our hands. even if we win our two games we still have to rely on others for us to win on goal difference. the fact is we can not get through on points alone if marseille beat besiktas, thats what i am getting at.

its not as though two wins will guarantee us second place, this is the point i am making
112-1077774096

Postby josip84 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 am

Congratulations for your great win last night.
Looking forward to seeing you in Marseille on december 11th, for a presumably breathtaking thrilling game in a torrid atmosphere.
josip84

Postby Leonmc0708 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:13 am

peewee wrote:its not really pessimism mate,

Ok then  :O

peewee wrote:make no mistake guys this result tonight, although a great score, could in all reality mean nothing because qualification is not in our own hands, and why is it not in our hands, because of p*ss poor performances in this competition. it also does not alter the fact our league form has been poor, and again i put that down to the negative football and the lack of cohesion brought on by rotation.

WRONG.

We win our next two games then we are through regardless of what happens elsewhere.

peewee wrote:lets just hope many lessons were learned last night, but i fear they wont have been, even at the end rafa couldn't praise crouch and that is a sad state of affairs

How so ?

Rafa quite rightly lauded the role of a midfielder who scored a hat trick over a striker who scored 2 goals. Is it not the strikers job to score goals ? Thats the stick you have used to beat Kuyt with anyway.
Last edited by Leonmc0708 on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby NiftyNeil » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:18 am

peewee wrote:
NiftyNeil wrote:
peewee wrote:
Bad Bob wrote:

Is that true?

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

no mate i am not wrong, qualification does not rest in our hands. even if we win our two games we still have to rely on others for us to win on goal difference. the fact is we can not get through on points alone if marseille beat besiktas, thats what i am getting at.

its not as though two wins will guarantee us second place, this is the point i am making

I know exactly what you mean, but qualification is still in our own hands. If we win our next two games, say 4-0, then we will qualify.  Compare this situation to that of the National team. If Russia win their remaining two games and Croatia win their next game, then England cannot qualify - even if they beat Croatia 100 - 0.

Now that, my friend,  is the difference between having qualification in your own hands and having to rely on other results  :nod .
NiftyNeil
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Big Niall » Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:18 am

what pleased me the most was that we went for it. When playing inferior teams Rafa doesn't have to worry about them, just play our best team and we'll usually win (no 5 midfielders against blackburn ever again!)

Hopefully Crouch will get the nod over Kuyt in future. I also hope this helps confidence.

Still an awful lot to do (and 3 points from 2 games against that pub team is poor) but we have a lot better chance now.
Big Niall
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Rimetto_ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:24 pm

The thing i liked about our performance was the width , if you look back over the last couple of games we have had no width and tried to play through the middle of people.

The reasons why we had the ability to go wide for me:-

1. we played with 2 up front and that enables us to have a forward in the box as a target for the wingers

2. Arbeloa bombing on passed Jossi that enabled us to still keep width when jossi cut inside, i like finnan but he just doesn't have the ability or legs to overlap. Finnan has been a great player for us but for me over the last couple of weeks he's looked slow and also tends to pass sideways or backwards.

3. Riise and Aurelio back as a partnership is a bonus, these 2 seemed to be forging a great understanding before Aurelio got injured and that seemed to be back last night, and now Kewell has returned and looking sharp i think between the 3 we have great options down the left. i think Pennant,Arbeloa and Jossi can hopefully get something of the same going on the right.

4. Return to form of Stevie, it will be a hard decision on who partners him when Alonso returns because Mascha has been outstanding recently BUY HIM QUICK RAFA

I know the oposition wasn't the best last night but we played last night the same way as we started the season positive with good movement and most importantly i think WIDTH
Rimetto_

Postby Anfield rapper » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:42 pm

8-0 means we now actually own Besiktas FC. hopefully this result can kick start our european campaign. See that Turkish fan crying at the end lol! they do not like it up um!
Anfield rapper
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion