Liverpool v besiktas - Post match discussion

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby woof woof ! » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:27 am

8-0 .Are we that good or were the turks just awful ?
Last edited by woof woof ! on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:31 am

I'll go for the positive, yeah we were, they managed a win in istanbul and last night we had to prove we were the superior team and did so by breaking a record. They were poor because we gave them nothing !
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:36 am

woof woof ! wrote:8-0 .Are we that good or were the turks just awful ?

we were probably about 4-0 good. They stopped playing after awhile. Their keeper just couldn't figure out why alot of the balls are going behind his back...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:39 am

maguskwt wrote:

we were probably about 4-0 good. They stopped playing after awhile. Their keeper just couldn't figure out why alot of the balls are going behind his back...

No we were 8-0 good, check the match again.
Bill Shankly: “I was the best manager in Britain because I was never devious or cheated anyone. I’d break my wife’s legs if I played against her, but I’d never cheat her.”
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:41 am

what do you expect... you're talking about someone who wrote a complaint letter to benitez right after he's won us the 5th european cup...

and the proved everything i said was correct over the following seasons, someone else trying to be smart and failing miserably

mate... just enjoy abit that's all I'm asking... alot of the things you said are IMO correct (not all though)... but too much pessimism can't be good for anybody...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby babu » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:50 am

You beauty.

Man U 7-1 last season, Arsenal 7-0 this season, and now the Mighty Reds trump them all.

babu
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:58 am

maguskwt wrote:
what do you expect... you're talking about someone who wrote a complaint letter to benitez right after he's won us the 5th european cup...

and the proved everything i said was correct over the following seasons, someone else trying to be smart and failing miserably

mate... just enjoy abit that's all I'm asking... alot of the things you said are IMO correct (not all though)... but too much pessimism can't be good for anybody...

its not really pessimism mate, i want us to do well, i really do, and i enjoyed the game immensely.  but then when i come on here and there are people shouting about how rafa got it right and what a tactical genius he is, and making out the result makes everything ok then i feel i have to give a reality check.

the fact is this team beat us a couple of weeks ago, we couldn't even beat a team that we beat 8-0, so how poor does that make us   (work that out    :D )

i am very impressed by tonight, what i am not impressed about is the reality that we could have been doing this all season if rafa let us off the leash and played players who deserve to be played, dropped players who deserved to be dropped and just took off the shackles.

make no mistake guys this result tonight, although a great score, could in all reality mean nothing because qualification is not in our own hands, and why is it not in our hands, because of p*ss poor performances in this competition. it also does not alter the fact our league form has been poor, and again i put that down to the negative football and the lack of cohesion brought on by rotation.

also now hopefully we can hear the end of the comments about the poor performances being due to missing torres, alonso and agger, none of the featured tonight and we can still play good football. (i dont buy into that argument anyway, the people who laud rotation then say "oh we are missing three key players" totally miss the irony in their comments)

lets just hope many lessons were learned last night, but i fear they wont have been, even at the end rafa couldn't praise crouch and that is a sad state of affairs

anyway another corner turned     :D
112-1077774096

Postby Bad Bob » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:06 am

peewee wrote:qualification is not in our own hands

Is that true?

Aren't the standings as follows?:

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

By my maths, we're through if we beat Porto and Marseille (assuming they both beat Besiktas), unless Marseille manage to tonk Besiktas by an even greater scoreline to over come our goal difference advantage.  Have I missed something? ???
Bad Bob
LFC Guru Member

Postby Kharhaz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:13 am

The fulham line up will bring people to your level of thinking peewee. I see where you are coming from. That performance last night was awesome and like both you and I stated in another thread it was because players played where they are most comfortable. The line up against fulham will determine what is in rafas mind.
Last edited by Kharhaz on Wed Nov 07, 2007 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kharhaz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:32 am

Bad Bob wrote:

Is that true?

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

By my maths, we're through if we beat Porto and Marseille (assuming they both beat Besiktas), unless Marseille manage to tonk Besiktas by an even greater scoreline to over come our goal difference advantage.  Have I missed something? ???

If Porto and Marseille both beat Besiktas, and we beat Porto and Marseille it would be decided on the head to head rule, as both us and Marseille would be on 10 pts.
LFC2007

Postby mungi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:44 am

isnt it sorted by goal difference? if ur right, who goes through if we beat marseille?
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 112-1077774096 » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:10 am

Bad Bob wrote:

Is that true?

Porto 8
Marseille 7
LFC 4
Besiktas 3

yes bob, you have missed the point that its not in our hands, we still have to rely on other results

the most we can get is 10 points, that means beating porto and marseille, if that happens and they both beat bestikas that will leave porto on 11 points and qualified and marseille on 10 points, so of course it will come down to goal difference. so like i say its not in our hands, we have to rely on others to not better us.

the fact is if we win our two games we will not automatically go through, we have to hope marseille dont do what we did last night.
112-1077774096

Postby mungi » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:32 am

for marseille to beat basiktas by 8 goals cisse needs to score a hattrick. i hardly doubt it:p
mungi
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:27 am

I fuckin love Alonso Id love to marry him, see his celebration  :laugh: What a top fella he's lovely.

David Pleat this sends out a message to the Liverpools, Chelsea's and Man u's of the world  :shifty
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Owzat » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:40 am

TURKISH DEL-EIGHT, great result but honestly I'd say all of the goals were soft as sheet. Don't get me wrong, excellent stuff giving the accusations of "boring" that have been offered recently, but the Turks are traditionally poor travellers outside their pits of hate. Their keeper had a hand literally in too many of the goals

THE GOALS

1. Crouch (1) - poor defending let in Crouch whose limp shot was gifted back to him. He did well to guide it in, but frankly had he missed I think we'd be crucifying him right now for missing an open goal

2. Benayoun (1) - wasn't our throw in, great and quick thinking by Riise and Voronin with a lovely chipped cross that Benayoun finished brilliantly

3. Benayoun (2) - poor defending and a parried shot that Benayoun just put in the net

4. Benayoun (4) - keeper spilled a free-kick into the path of Benayoun for his hat-trick, another soft goal that could have been avoided

5. Gerrard - the pick of the goals, brilliant interplay of quick passing and finally Voronin cleverly laid it on to Gerrard whose shot was deflected into the net. It was good, not great defending mind and the deflection made sure it went in

6. Babel (1) - substitute Babel cleverly back-heeling the ball past a slow keeper, reminiscent of a Barnes back-heel from headier days. Benayoun fed up with scoring at will laid this one on!

7. Babel (2) - bit kind to give this to Babel, he pressured a defender and the ball ricocheted off Babel and lobbed into the net.

8. Crouch (2) - Crouch became the third player with two or more goals to his name, and finished what he started. A decent headed finish from Benayoun's cross

Maybe the best thing came from this was Benayoun's hat-trick and assists, am I the only one who thinks he should play up front? He's a converted striker anyway and showed composure in front of goal, no lack of pace getting into the box and can beat players, dribble and has all the skills that could make him another Peter Beardsley

Looking at his career he was Ajax's youth team leading scorer, scored 15 goals in 25 games for Hapoel Tel Aviv and scored 55 goals in 3 seasons at Maccabi Haifa. Only when he moved to Santander and then England have his goals dried up, but that doesn't mean he can't score enough for us if played up front. Got to be better than Kuyt, despite Crouch's brace last night he's still only got 10 champions League goal in 27 matches and 34 goals in 109 overall (0.312 goals/app)
Never buy from PC World, product quality is poor and their 'customer service' is even poorer
Owzat
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion