Post-match discussion thread - Blackburn v. liverpool

Liverpool Football Club - General Discussion

Postby heimdall » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:25 pm

Graeme Noble wrote:I don't know why everyone thinks Crouch is so good, how many goals has he scored this season? I can only remember the one against Tolouse and that was a tap-in, he also missed a few good chances in that game.
I don't rate Vorinin either, he is slow and wasteful - he might have the ability to score some good goals, but he isn't good enough for us, he is a UEFA cup player at best.
I still like Kuyt but he needs to be more clinical.

In my opinion, we only have one great striker, the other 3 are about the same standard, and we really need to get another quality striker, because without Torres, we don't look very good!

Oh do you think Kuyt needs to be more clinical, good observation mate!!!!!

Look I don't particularly like Crouch either but he wouldn't have missed those sitters that Kuyt did last night. Kuyt has had more than enough time to prove himself and I can't remember a single game where he has amazed me in the way that Fowler, Owen or Torres have ever done. He is NOT good enough and should not be played. The sad fact is that we only have 1 great striker, Torres, and one average striker in Crouch, the other two are a complete waste of money in terms of salary.
heimdall

Postby hello_red » Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:38 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:
Hightown Phil of RAWK and RAOTL fame wrote:It's funny isn't it?

No matter what we do on the pitch, there'll still be some miserable :censored: sat in the corner telling us that's it's not good enough. If a striker scores a hat trick and then skins 6 men before putting a shot over the bar, he's there telling us how St John wouldn't have missed it, you know the type, you see them all the time. 'It wasn't like that in my day, he'd have skinned 15 men (the manager and the subs) in my day and then popped it in the bottom corner.' There's one who sits behind me, no matter what they do, they'll still get the 'Yer :censored: yer' line every time they have the temerity to mishit the :censored: thing. Do they do it on purpose? Yeah that's it, they see 40000 people turning up every week, paying their wages and decide 'You know what, that :censored: in the green on the front row 's an ugly :censored:, I'm gonna make him miserable, I'm gonna pass the ball to Christopher Samba when I could give it to the skipper and he could put us 1-0 up and net me an extra few hundred quid in bonuses.' :censored: off.

If we don't win, we're :censored:. If we win we're boss. Take that Beşiktaş game for example, mad goal sends us 1-0 down, we get beat 2-1. They don't get lucky we win 1-0, play exactly the same and it's pats on the back all round. 'Nice one lads, good game, good game.'

The last two games, have seen us play 2 of the 4 most difficult teams in the league, and guess what, we didn't :censored: lose, or even look like we were going going to lose. We played Arsenal (or Brazil 1970 MK II as I'm calling them henceforth) and we lead them for 75 minutes. I feel quite honoured, Gordon Banks sat there and probably thought, 'I tell you what, if we'd have played like this in Mexico 37 years ago, I wouldn't have needed to make that boss save. Pele's got :censored: all on this Adebayor and Carlos Alberto would struggle to get into this side.' Seriously though, you'd think they were Brazil in 1970, with added Cruyff and co. Who gives a :censored:, we were beating them for 75 minutes. Best team ever. Innit.

Why slag players off? It's genuinely something I've never understood, yeah, I've probably said a few things about Sissoko in the past that might have been over the top (nothing against the lad, but I don't see how he gets in the team)(and maybe Riise as well), but seriously, players don't do it deliberately. Why slag them off? We see the faults, the manager see the faults. Do you think he stands there and says 'I tell you what, this is brilliant, we've come away from home and drawn with a team we're better than.' ?

Does he :censored:. The man is basically a mentalist, watch him on the sideline, if he was offered a Playstation pad to control the players, he'd bite your hand off. He probably plays Pro Evo, like us (or them sad :censored: who sit there and play Fifa- :censored:) and wants to manipulate them to his exact wants and needs. But he can't, he's still learning, he always is, just as the players are always learning about him. We're not gonna be Arsenal, cos the manager hasn't had 11 years to change the philosophy of the whole club, ditto United, or even Chelsea, cos we've not had a cheque book thrown at us to sign £50m worth of central midielders.

He sees what's wrong, just like we see what's wrong. He's trying to improve that, every day he's looking for players, we've got some dross, he knows that, I know that, you know that. So get the :censored: off his back. 'Ar ey lad, he's :censored: him, get rid la and get someone in who knows what he's doing. That Paul Jewell, he's scouse him.' (Yeah, I'd like to say I'm joking, but I've heard that).

To be honest, we probably won't win the league this season, regardless, we're making huge steps. This time last season, we were still a month away from an away win, this time round, we've got four. We'll be close this season, I doubt we'll win it, we might even come 4th, but we'll be :censored: close, even if we are 4th. And then in the summer, we'll sign players, possibly some wingers, maybe a second striker, maybe another centre half, which could have used the last month, regardless, we'll improve again.

But yeah, get rid of the manager and get some :censored: in who'll probably look at Steven Gerrard and think 'Why the :censored: am I managing him - he's far bigger than me.'

Some people need to get a :censored: grip. 11 games played, 6 points of the lead. And we're unbeaten. 14 points away from home? Did we even get that away from home in the whole of last season? I don't know, I can't be arsed checking, mainly 'cos it doesn't :censored: matter.

Miserable. Shower. Of. :censored:.

If we won every game 6-0, people would still moan. Do us a favour. Go and support Kauto Star. He never loses. Oh wait, he does.

The 2nd best National Hunt horse ever isn't perfect. Neither are the Reds. Deal with it. Bellends

Yep!

Was dissapointed with the result and gutted that Kuyt missed those chances (lack of confidence) but this above statement is a very intelligent look on the whole thing.
hello_red
LFC Super Member

Postby KOPMATT » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:25 pm

peewee wrote:sorry kopmatt the other thread was locked before i could reply. in athens they scored 2 goals and we scored 1.

in life you get what you deserve, they scored more and therefore deserved to win, thats football mate, the team that score more wins, the team that scores more have done what football is all about and score goals, therefore they deserve to win, how they played is not relevant, if you deserve to win you need to score more than the other team or you don't win, its that simple mate

Correct, thanx Peewee!
KOPMATT

Postby metalhead » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:49 pm

Anyone saw how Masch told Carra to "F*ck off"?!  :oops:

Liverpool lacked cutting edge, poor first half, but a good second half, however our strikers are not good enough and its time for Benitez to drop Kuyt he is playing like rubbish.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ace Ventura » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:45 pm

metalhead wrote:Anyone saw how Masch told Carra to "F*ck off"?!  :oops:

Liverpool lacked cutting edge, poor first half, but a good second half, however our strikers are not good enough and its time for Benitez to drop Kuyt he is playing like rubbish.

Carragher roared at Mascherano for shooting, at that time there was no options on and there hadnt been for most of the game. Mascherano was right to shoot probably although he isnt the best from distance. Carra was obviously frustrated at the time.

ALLLRIGHTY THEN !!
Ace Ventura
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ciggy » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:49 pm

12 points dropped from these draws its just like 4 defeats really.

Its depressing and we are playing really shite football.

I pray to god we can turn it around soon why have all the goals dried up?  :(
There is no-one anywhere in the world at any stage who is any bigger or any better than this football club.

Kenny Dalglish 1/2/2011

REST IN PEACE PHIL, YOU WILL NEVER BE FORGOTTEN.
Ciggy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Leonmc0708 » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:55 pm

We've played 11 games in the league this season and we're still unbeaten. We've picked up points in every match so in that sense we are constantly progressing our points tally - I know it sounds obvious, but that is very important. When you actually look at the results (not performances) of all the PL matches we've played this season I can honestly say that only two stand out as poor:

A Aston Villa W  2-1 Good
H Chelsea D  1-1 Decent
A Sunderland W  2-0 Good
H Derby W  6-0 Good
A Portsmouth D  0-0 Decent
H Birmingham D  0-0 Poor
A Wigan W  1-0 Good
H Tottenham D  2-2 Poor
A Everton W  2-1 Very good
H Arsenal D  1-1 Good
A Blackburn 0-0 Decent

Yes, it would be great if we hadn't drawn so many matches, but only two of those draws can really be described as poor. Just look at the PL results this season and see the teams who have struggled against Portsmouth (ManU) and Blackburn (Arsenal and Chelsea). Aside from the two home draws against Brum and Spurs, are we really that bad. Has it been such a disasterous start?

----------------------------------------

Thats nicked from Fitzboy on RAWK, so not my take on it but I do agree with it.
JUSTICE FOR THE 96

Leonmc0708
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby yckatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Nov 04, 2007 8:56 pm

Ciggy wrote:12 points dropped from these draws its just like 4 defeats really.

Its depressing and we are playing really shite football.

I pray to god we can turn it around soon why have all the goals dried up?  :(

in a word `confidence`.
at the moment no one wants the ball.

You Can Shoot All The Blue Jays You Want To But Its A Sin To Kill A Mocking Bird
yckatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Super Member

Postby Scottbot » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:25 pm

Ace Ventura wrote:Right my go now  :D

Watched the game yesterday and can take positives and negatives from it. Negatives out of the way first eh. I thought for Rafa to leave Crouch out when playing that formation was really strange. Kuyt who i think is better than he is showing...his confidence appears shot, he also doesnt stay up the pitch and drops into midfield which meant at times we had nobody up top. We were p!ss poor in the first half and fortunate to get to half time level. Babel was again poor but looks a threat which may sound like a strange statement but sort of like Cisse was he appears to struggle to do basic things but has a great shot and seems to have an eye for goal.
Riise and Sissoko should not be at this club....maybe i am being a little harsh, but they are squad players at best. I would have Lucas in the team any day of the week ahead of Momo...he just doesnt offer enough for a midfield player at a club that is playing passing football. Did anyone else notice at the end of the first half when Gerrard had the ball Sissoko made a run into the box was open and in a good position and Gerrard ignored him and passed wide to Babel (who tested Friedel with a decent effort) ? me mate said to me...why didnt he play him in ? I said because it was Momo...he would of wasted it....and i am right. He offers nothing. Simply not good enough sorry.

Positives

Harry Kewell looked sharp looked positive and looked in decent shape. I watched him for the reserves against Newcastle when he scored and was impressed with him. He looked like he wants to be playing football. He also looked like he has worked hard fitness wise, there are times in the past when he has allowed his weight to suffer when he has been injured but not this time. Please stay fit. This lad could change the whole attacking dimension of the team. He offers width and balance and can cross a ball beat a man and has a decent shot on him. Made up to see him back.

Crouch looked far far better and has the last few appearances. He has been shamefully treated imo...for reasons we dont know (so maybe he deserved it) but now is the time to get him back in the team. He holds the ball so well brings Gerrard into play in dangerous areas and offers an actual threat. Made up for the lad...i really think he is a top player and hope he can sort out his differences with Rafa.

Now the result i am happy with, a draw at blackburn who had won 8 in a row was a good result, they are a good side and at home where always going to be difficult. I think Rafa was maybe a bit over cautious early on but that was understandable. We nearly sneaked it at the end and i think the boss should maybe trust the players he has signed a bit more. They could of won that game if he had let them have a go but he seems a little worried that they might lose it if he lets the shackles off.

All in all good point and Puroresu i take your point about an unbeaten run meaning nothing if most of the results are draws but not getting beaten is still a good habit to be in.
We are still in a healthy position and now have Fulham at home...if we take 3 points there then we will more than likely be back in the top 4.
I am in a happy and optimistic mood this week  :D

Top post Ace
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby account deleted by request » Sun Nov 04, 2007 11:48 pm

Leonmc0708 wrote:We've played 11 games in the league this season and we're still unbeaten. We've picked up points in every match so in that sense we are constantly progressing our points tally - I know it sounds obvious, but that is very important. When you actually look at the results (not performances) of all the PL matches we've played this season I can honestly say that only two stand out as poor:

H Chelsea D  1-1 Decent
A Sunderland W  2-0 Good
H Derby W  6-0 Good
H Birmingham D  0-0 Poor
A Wigan W  1-0 Good
H Tottenham D  2-2 Poor
H Arsenal D  1-1 Good
A Blackburn 0-0 Decent

Yes, it would be great if we hadn't drawn so many matches, but only two of those draws can really be described as poor. Just look at the PL results this season and see the teams who have struggled against Portsmouth (ManU) and Blackburn (Arsenal and Chelsea). Aside from the two home draws against Brum and Spurs, are we really that bad. Has it been such a disasterous start?

Depends whether you see us as a top 6 team or as genuine challengers for the title team mate. I know you haven't written it but I see a title chasing team having a better home record than played 5 won 1. Our away form this season is good enough to have us in the mix come next may, our home form at the moment would have us relegated   :D

To go 1 -0 up at home against 2 of your nearest rivals (Chelsea , Arsenal) and to fail to win either game has got to be seen as points dropped not points won.

Birmingham and Spurs as they rightly say were poor results. So another 4 points fell by the wayside there.

Thats 8 points in all that we should have got if you consider us title challengers rather than competing for a CL place.

8 points that would have us placed handily at the top of the league rather than in 7th place.

The argument that our rivals will drop silly points here and there doesn't really hold much water. They are proven runners over the distance, we haven't as yet shown we can last the distance or even keep up with the leaders.

I have ignored the type of football being played by our rivals compared to us....... football is about results not pretty patterns.
account deleted by request

Postby The_Rock » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:42 am

lakes10 wrote:Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez:
"I am disappointed. We deserved to win. We created very, very clear chances - and plenty of them.
"When the game became more open we had more control and went forward. We had more offensive players.

"We must think about the positives, we had a lot of possession and a lot of chances. In the second half, their goalkeeper was their best player."

you know....u can forgive someone for mistakes if he is willing to learn from it....

But if he keeps making and refuses to learn from them, how can u support him ? This is why fans are slowly turning against rafa (yes, they are).......

If rafa thinks we deserve to win the game then what does mark hughes think ? I mean, after all his side hit the woodwork twice ?

Rafa doesn't want to admit he is wrong...he will continue playing cautious defensive football. He will continue to drop crouch in favour of Kuyt. He will continue to play sissoko although he offers nothing in attacking sense and loses the ball easily.

How will the team then improve ?
Last edited by The_Rock on Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
A Genius Billionaire Playboy Philanthropist
The_Rock
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red_guy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:58 am

rafa should be blamed for the draw against Blackburn. Before Kewell and Crouch came in, we looked like a team with no ambition. No creativity. I dunno if playing 451 was the right decision but i'm pretty sure that Rafa made mistake choosing which players to start the game. IMO, seriously ..Babel reminds me of Cisse. Very bad first touch, can't hold the ball well, can't pass properly and hell, cant' even beat a single defender. Last but not least, Kuyt just can't play as a lone striker and Rafa should know that. Rafa ,i beg you pleaseeee... stop making the same mistakes over and over again. .
"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly
red_guy
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:13 am

Leonmc0708 wrote:We've played 11 games in the league this season and we're still unbeaten. We've picked up points in every match so in that sense we are constantly progressing our points tally - I know it sounds obvious, but that is very important. When you actually look at the results (not performances) of all the PL matches we've played this season I can honestly say that only two stand out as poor:

H Chelsea D  1-1 Decent
A Sunderland W  2-0 Good
H Derby W  6-0 Good
H Birmingham D  0-0 Poor
A Wigan W  1-0 Good
H Tottenham D  2-2 Poor
H Arsenal D  1-1 Good
A Blackburn 0-0 Decent

1 win 4 draws in our home games looks quite bad even though it includes draws against chelsea and arsenal. Could've picked up wins against birmingham and tottenham. Our away form on the other hand is superb... 4 wins and 2 draws...

let's hope we can keep our away form and start wining every game at home...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:14 am

heimdall wrote:
Graeme Noble wrote:I don't know why everyone thinks Crouch is so good, how many goals has he scored this season? I can only remember the one against Tolouse and that was a tap-in, he also missed a few good chances in that game.
I don't rate Vorinin either, he is slow and wasteful - he might have the ability to score some good goals, but he isn't good enough for us, he is a UEFA cup player at best.
I still like Kuyt but he needs to be more clinical.

In my opinion, we only have one great striker, the other 3 are about the same standard, and we really need to get another quality striker, because without Torres, we don't look very good!

Oh do you think Kuyt needs to be more clinical, good observation mate!!!!!

Look I don't particularly like Crouch either but he wouldn't have missed those sitters that Kuyt did last night. Kuyt has had more than enough time to prove himself and I can't remember a single game where he has amazed me in the way that Fowler, Owen or Torres have ever done. He is NOT good enough and should not be played. The sad fact is that we only have 1 great striker, Torres, and one average striker in Crouch, the other two are a complete waste of money in terms of salary.

I can bet you that crouch is equally :censored: when he plays as a lone striker without much support.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby metalhead » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 am

Ace Ventura wrote:
metalhead wrote:Anyone saw how Masch told Carra to "F*ck off"?!  :oops:

Carragher roared at Mascherano for shooting, at that time there was no options on and there hadnt been for most of the game. Mascherano was right to shoot probably although he isnt the best from distance. Carra was obviously frustrated at the time.

Carragher looked really frustrated when masch shot, masch was like "I can't! I can't!"  :D

I think the players were very frustrated during the game, you can see how Gerrard was angry at Kuyt during a chance that he(kuyt) was running down the right hand side. We lack creativity, our options are very limited hence we couldn't score.
ImageImageImage
metalhead
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - General Discussion