Pre Season Friendlies 2018

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:57 pm

Klopps just utilising what he's got instead of leaving 11 players on the bench for 90 mins per game. He has a squad of about 35, so he has to trim that down a fair bit in the next couple of weeks.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 25, 2018 8:19 pm

International Champions Cup 1.05 am ESPN /FOX SPORT ...Liverpool v City

Hoping we will play our best eleven available to us for this ,I'd like to see Keita ,Fabinho and Lallana in the same line up. Mane ,Salah Grujic and Gini are also available for selection.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-could-liverpool-line-up-14951478

Not before time !
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:34 pm

Any free online streams showing this match?
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ethanr » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:43 am

The players I'd expect to be starting/getting the most time off the bench are looking pretty poor for the most part. I know it's early preseason, but you'd expect them to have no problems with a city team that only has 2 players anybody has ever heard of.

I'm a little concerned about Fabinho. I haven' seen anything that shows he's worth half what we paid for him. Hopefully Klopp is correct in saying he'll need more time.

I'm watching on ESPN with Ian Darke and Paul Mariner. They've both mentioned at least 4 or 5 times how excited they are to see Naby Keita in the second half. Boy are they going to be disappointed when they realize how stupid they've sounded.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby redshade » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:57 am

Missed the match will be catching it via highlights. We won 2-1 Salah opened and Mane finished off with a peno.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:10 pm

Watched the match this morning ,let me just say firstly ,Grujic should not be going on loan ,the lad was superb when he was introduced and he and Chirivella completely closed down the midfield ,honestly the difference between him and Milner was light and shade. City have some exceptionally talented kids but Grujic never game them room to breathe allowing Mane and Salah to run riot in the last 15 mins,Camacho was good too ,but if we let a burgeoning talent like Grujic leave it will be madness.

Joe Gomez put Virgil in the shade and was superb throughout and he deserves his chance at CB and young Curtis Jones was the pick of our players from a woeful first half

Special mention to Karius who made some vital saves and blocks he done well. Milner was absolutely dire and Cities young midfield just left him and Fabinho for dead,If the manager didn't see the tangible difference when Grujic was introduced then I'm really watching the wrong sport.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:01 pm

I'm putting the game on now, I taped it last night and I'll give it a watch although it's never the same when you know the result.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 pm

I fast forwarded though a lot of it, that first half showing was abysmal, City's kids practically played us off the park, it was embarrassing. The second half was much better though, particularly when Sadio and Mo came on.
That stint at Cardiff has brought Grujic on no end, he looks a different player, the much maligned duo of Karius and Moreno had decent games too. Moreno came on and shored up that left hand side where City were having a lot of joy, at one point one of City's players left Fabinho absolutely floundering but Moreno came on and used his pace to good effect.
I dread to think what the likes of De Bruyne, David Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Sterling et al would have done to us in that first half had they have been playing.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:06 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:45 pm wrote:I fast forwarded though a lot of it, that first half showing was abysmal, City's kids practically played us off the park, it was embarrassing. The second half was much better though, particularly when Sadio and Mo came on.
That stint at Cardiff has brought Grujic on no end, he looks a different player, the much maligned duo of Karius and Moreno had decent games too. Moreno came on and shored up that left hand side where City were having a lot of joy, at one point one of City's players left Fabinho absolutely floundering but Moreno came on and used his pace to good effect.
I dread to think what the likes of De Bruyne, David Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Sterling et al would have done to us in that first half had they have been playing.

Yeah,I forgot to mention Moreno mate ,looked rapid and pressed like a man possessed in the last 15 mins,Grujic though mate,that ball he played with the outside of his foot

He's a real talent who looked nothing but composed in possession,I will be devastated if we let him go again the lad's class.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:22 pm

Great header from Salah. Mane played well also I thought.

Moreno has played quite well in some of these friendlies and can see Klopp keeping him for rotational purposes also.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:24 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 pm wrote:I dread to think what the likes of De Bruyne, David Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Sterling et al would have done to us in that first half had they have been playing.

Same story as last season then?  Although we won 3/4 four meetings with City last season, we need to hope that our new players are good enough to keep pace with City in the league and win us something this season.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:23 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:24 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:45 pm wrote:I dread to think what the likes of De Bruyne, David Silva, Gabriel Jesus, Sterling et al would have done to us in that first half had they have been playing.

Same story as last season then?  Although we won 3/4 four meetings with City last season, we need to hope that our new players are good enough to keep pace with City in the league and win us something this season.

We weren't at the races at all in that first half and I've just watched an interview with Klopp where he said as much himself.
If we want to genuinely challenge for the title we've got to start turning up every week, given the pace City set last season we can't afford too many off days. Our players have got to be at it every single time they step onto a pitch wearing a red shirt.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:48 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:06 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:45 pm wrote:I fast forwarded though a lot of it, that first half showing was abysmal, City's kids practically played us off the park, it was embarrassing. The second half was much better though, particularly when Sadio and Mo came on.

Yeah,I forgot to mention Moreno mate ,looked rapid and pressed like a man possessed in the last 15 mins,Grujic though mate,that ball he played with the outside of his foot

He's a real talent who looked nothing but composed in possession,I will be devastated if we let him go again the lad's class.

Yeah Grujic really impressed me
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby woof woof ! » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:33 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:48 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:06 pm wrote:

Yeah Grujic really impressed me

Me too !

Deffo got to hold onto this fella and start giving him more significant game time.

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Eagle » Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:42 pm

Chester - A - 0-7
Tue 10th 19:30 - Tranmere Rovers - A - 2-3
Sat 14th 15:00 - Bury - A - 0-0
Thu 19th 19:45 - Blackburn Rovers - 0-2
Sun 22nd 21:05 - Borussia Dortmund - 3-1
Thu 26th 1:05 - Manchester City - 1-2
Sat 28th 22:05 - Manchester United - USA
Sat 4th 18:00 - Napoli - A
Tue 7th 19:30 - Torino FC - H

So it's Man Utd tomorrow night and then we've got a training camp in France leading up to the Napoli game in Dublin. Firmino and Alisson will join the squad in France so that will just leave Henderson, Trent, Lovren and Mignolet who won't join up with the squad until after the Napoli game.
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games