Pre Season Friendlies 2018

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:04 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:45 am wrote:Impressed by Shaquiri, not just his goal but his all round game. He's got great feet, can see a pass and has got a lot of strength too, the way he shoved off Bailly (who is a big powerful lad) just before he set up Sturridge was very impressive, id love to see him given a decent run out in that Coutinho position behind the front 3.

Firmino

Mane.                                                    Salah

Shaquiri

Keita.                    Henderson

That Portuguese lad Camacho deserves a mention too, Trent has got his hands full holding onto that RB slot with that lad in the background.

I agree, great finish from shaqiri. He is similar to coutinho, quick feet, sharp etc. I knew this
We knew this already about the lad, he has had three years playing for Stoke, so you always knew he would hit the ground running.

I thought Salah looked sharp also. He is one of the most intelligent / aware players I have ever seen.

Not sure about Fabinho. He has a few question marks hanging over him and not a regular for Brazil. Let's see how he fares in the premier league.

The good news is, Klopp,has a lot of options open to him, in midfield and attack. He can play shaqiri, Fabinho and Keita, or go for Hendon Milner and wjnaldum etc.

That can only be a good thing in terms of squad depth.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:22 am

The good news is thus far, is Mane and Salah look match sharp
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:12 am

Funny how we could've splashed 50 mill on Mahrez in Jan but instead we got Shaqiri for 13mill. Getting Shaqiri has been the bargain of the century.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby fivecups » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:40 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:45 pm wrote:Impressed by Shaquiri, not just his goal but his all round game. He's got great feet, can see a pass and has got a lot of strength too, the way he shoved off Bailly (who is a big powerful lad) just before he set up Sturridge was very impressive, id love to see him given a decent run out in that Coutinho position behind the front 3.

Firmino

Mane.                                                    Salah

Shaquiri

Keita.                    Henderson

That Portuguese lad Camacho deserves a mention too, Trent has got his hands full holding onto that RB slot with that lad in the background.

Good summary, I was impressed by the fluidity of our play given the subs and newbies, we took United apart. Heading down to Napoli Saturday with the boy, hopefully more of the same.
fivecups
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:13 am

Shaqiri off to an absolute flyer with a net busting ninja shot against the Mancs. Sturridge has grown new legs. Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Plenaty (Penalty) pool is trending again.

Mourhino is tearing down United with his bare hands, driving his triple decker bus right over and through everyone at the club, then reversing back over the carnage.

Allez! Allez! Allez! Boooooom!
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:52 pm

What I particularly liked about Shaquiri was the way he passed his way out of tight spaces with little 5 to 10 yard give-and-go's, he's similar to Phil in the sense that he's not bothered about having the ball in heavy traffic.
I know it's only one game but on last nights evidence he needs to play centrally, he'd be wasted out wide imo.
Can't wait to see what he's like when he's surrounded by the likes of Mo, Bobby, Sadio, Keita, VVD etc etc
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:40 pm

Surely based on our last two games its time to limit Milner's involvement in the first eleven ? I thought Chirivella was brilliant last night alongside the commanding Grujic ,just so many options available to us right now ,young Philips and Camacho impressed at the back and Jones and Woodburns energy and appetite just swamped a United team who couldn't handle the pace and quick passing and intelligent movement. Shaquiri's goal was just magnificent and his play inventive and Sturridge is playing with a smile back on his face,too early to say that would help with his ridiculous injury record but it certainly looks like he's enjoying playing once more.

All of the above to talk about and its only our supposed second string ,things are looking up  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:25 pm

Klopp on the youngsters

“Yes, all the young boys who came on today are in really good shape this pre-season, to be honest. They had little holes because of the intensity. “Sheyi [Ojo] is a really confident boy as he showed tonight, not only around the penalty when he sent Daniel Sturridge away! You have to be really confident to do that!

“Pedro Chirivella in the No.6, a fantastic football player. Marko Grujic together with him organising the whole pitch pretty much.

“Curtis Jones played his first game as a full-back in front of 100,000 people – I would have been nervous, he wasn’t. Rafa Camacho plays a pre-season that is just fantastic, mostly as a full-back which he’d never played before, so they’ve learned a lot.

“Ben Woodburn is 100 per cent back, for example. How it is with young boys, from time to time the improvement doesn’t go day by day, but he has played such a good pre-season.

“Nat Phillips, my god – what a pre-season he has played! These boys are completely open. What we will do with that and when, we will see.”
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby johnbarnes » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:30 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:40 pm wrote:Surely based on our last two games its time to limit Milner's involvement in the first eleven ? I thought Chirivella was brilliant last night alongside the commanding Grujic ,just so many options available to us right now ,young Philips and Camacho impressed at the back and Jones and Woodburns energy and appetite just swamped a United team who couldn't handle the pace and quick passing and intelligent movement. Shaquiri's goal was just magnificent and his play inventive and Sturridge is playing with a smile back on his face,too early to say that would help with his ridiculous injury record but it certainly looks like he's enjoying playing once more.

All of the above to talk about and its only our supposed second string ,things are looking up  :D

The potential is there for sure.
Milner will be a key part of the team this season - so keeping him fresh is a must which will most likely see him starting fewer games.
The right balance between youth and experience is now a must.
---
As for pre-season matches - coaches and staff are looking at fitness levels and limiting the possibilities of injury.
At this time, the outcome of the match is more important than the result.
johnbarnes
LFC Super Member

Postby Eagle » Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:20 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:25 pm wrote:Klopp on the youngsters

“Yes, all the young boys who came on today are in really good shape this pre-season, to be honest. They had little holes because of the intensity. “Sheyi [Ojo] is a really confident boy as he showed tonight, not only around the penalty when he sent Daniel Sturridge away! You have to be really confident to do that!

“Pedro Chirivella in the No.6, a fantastic football player. Marko Grujic together with him organising the whole pitch pretty much.

“Curtis Jones played his first game as a full-back in front of 100,000 people – I would have been nervous, he wasn’t. Rafa Camacho plays a pre-season that is just fantastic, mostly as a full-back which he’d never played before, so they’ve learned a lot.

“Ben Woodburn is 100 per cent back, for example. How it is with young boys, from time to time the improvement doesn’t go day by day, but he has played such a good pre-season.

“Nat Phillips, my god – what a pre-season he has played! These boys are completely open. What we will do with that and when, we will see.”

Sounds like Chirivella is off to Rosenberg for £3.5mil.
Eagle

Postby UvS xR4GEx » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:23 am

Even though the thumping of United was only a pre season friendly, it was important to get that win for the mental warfare. The United fans have gone into complete meltdown making excuses after excuses, while we just sit back calmly and smile.

I remember the commentator say both teams are really going for this I'd love to see what it was like if it was a league game.

I thought we moved the ball brilliantly, the players made off the ball runs to open play up, and no one was hiding away from getting on the ball.

It was a really good performance.
UvS xR4GEx
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:39 pm

We need to carry this pre-season form into the season proper, last season the likes of City and United got off to a flyer which left us playing catch up from week 1.
In fact of our first 9 league games we lost 2 (both hammerings) and drew 4, that's 14 dropped points out of a possible 27.
Because City were winning every week (they only dropped something like 3 points in the first half of the season) by the time we recovered our form they were pretty much over the horizon and gone.
It's really important that we get off to a good start this year.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:15 pm

Worth mentioning as well, over 100,000 fans attended to watch us spank the Mancs. Spot on, and just a friendly too.
It seems we have a big following over in the USA.
:buttrock
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:06 pm

Chester - A - 0-7
Tue 10th 19:30 - Tranmere Rovers - A - 2-3
Sat 14th 15:00 - Bury - A - 0-0
Thu 19th 19:45 - Blackburn Rovers - 0-2
Sun 22nd 21:05 - Borussia Dortmund - 3-1
Thu 26th 1:05 - Manchester City - 1-2
Sat 28th 22:05 - Manchester United - 1-4
Sat 4th 18:00 - Napoli - A
Tue 7th 19:30 - Torino FC - H

So next up is Napoli on Saturday. I think Klopp will play the starting 11 he’ll use against West Ham just over a week later.

Squad for training camp in France and Napoli friendly:
GK: Alisson, Karius, Grabara, Kelleher
DF: Van Dijk, Matip, Klavan, Gomez, Phillips, Alexander-Arnold, Clyne, Robertson, Moreno
MF: Keita, Fabinho, Lallana, Wijnaldum, Milner, Grujic, Jones
FW: Firmino, Mane, Salah, Shaqiri, Solanke, Sturridge, Origi, Ings, Camacho

Left out of camp (presumably they are close to securing moves): Chirivella, Woodburn, Markovic, Ojo

Injured: Oxlade-Chamberlain, Brewster

Still on holiday: Mignolet, Lovren, Henderson

Gone on loan: Wilson, Allan, Kent, Awoniyi, Bogdan, Ejaria
Eagle

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:35 pm

I can't see Firmino being ready to start the West Ham game so Sturridge will probably lead the line a week on sunday.
Alisson might make it though, it's not as if keepers have to run a half marathon or anything.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games