Napoli v Liverpool 03/10/2018 KO 8:00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:00 pm wrote:
RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm wrote:I think he has to somehow shoehorn Shaquiri into our midfield to give the front 3 a bit of help, they are obviously struggling atm.

I'd put Firmino into the midfield pushed up behind Shaqiri Mane and Salah ,its the only plausible way we can link the midfield with the attack.

We need to do something mate because they have been misfiring for 2 solid months now, this is more than a blip.

Yes ,that much is evident now mate ,also I think we need to shake the midfield up ,Milner is only effective because we're playing a system that suits him ,but with playing with such a rigid midfield its having a marked effect on the more inventive and progressive side of our game ,thus the chasm betwixt midfield and the attack.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby only me » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:29 am

MF is key to take the next step...We have the components in our squad but they aren't clicking/utilized..Keita so far is showing 30% of his potential ,Fabinho and Shaqiri are on Ice due to unknown reasons by Klopp...
Keita was signed to be the creative engine in the MF ,Fab was signed to be the DM which reduces pressure from the defense and Shaqiri to fill in for out-of form/injured attackers...Keita is given the chance but not rising yet to the occusion the other 2 are being held back by Klopp for reasons only known to him (He did the same to Andy)...Hope they click sooner rather then later as we can't sustain this run...(Mo will not score 50 goals every season)..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am

We did go into that game as RBG says with the intention of inviting them on to us so we could counter. Klopp basically said as much after the game when he criticised Mane and Firmino for holding on to the ball to long and the chance disappears.  No one is saying it but that team misses Coutinho more than anyone will admit.

Napoli were well wise to us and tactically they were spot on. They pressed high and exposed the space the full backs leave and were the better team. They contested every ball from K.O and were physically stronger in the challenge which left our lads reeling. They dominated the midfield and left us chasing shadows while they pressured our defence with constant attacks and if it weren't for Allisson and Gomez the game would have been well over by the 60th minute. It wasn't though and Ancellotti reacted by bringing on subs to change it for them and it worked.

We almost got out of there with a point which would have been a good result considering how we played and set up to play.

That is 2 losses and a draw in the space of a week so I think its safe to say we are in a bit of a blip. All 3 games seen us have less possession than the opposition with it in the low 40's. Chances created are a lot less with last night resulting with not 1 shot on target. The front 3 were terrible and looked like they only just met each other on the pitch as they couldn't link up a simple pass to each other. Salahs form has noticeably dropped but the other two look really poor. Firmino has been poor since the season started and Mane while being the best out of them has also struggled with his decision making.

City next and then those poxy international games for Sky. Jurgen needs to persuade Firmino, Salah and Mane to sit them out.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:58 am

I have officially retired from starting match threads.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:38 am

red till i die!! » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 am wrote:We did go into that game as RBG says with the intention of inviting them on to us so we could counter. Klopp basically said as much after the game when he criticised Mane and Firmino for holding on to the ball to long and the chance disappears.  No one is saying it but that team misses Coutinho more than anyone will admit.

Napoli were well wise to us and tactically they were spot on. They pressed high and exposed the space the full backs leave and were the better team. They contested every ball from K.O and were physically stronger in the challenge which left our lads reeling. They dominated the midfield and left us chasing shadows while they pressured our defence with constant attacks and if it weren't for Allisson and Gomez the game would have been well over by the 60th minute. It wasn't though and Ancellotti reacted by bringing on subs to change it for them and it worked.

We almost got out of there with a point which would have been a good result considering how we played and set up to play.

That is 2 losses and a draw in the space of a week so I think its safe to say we are in a bit of a blip. All 3 games seen us have less possession than the opposition with it in the low 40's. Chances created are a lot less with last night resulting with not 1 shot on target. The front 3 were terrible and looked like they only just met each other on the pitch as they couldn't link up a simple pass to each other. Salahs form has noticeably dropped but the other two look really poor. Firmino has been poor since the season started and Mane while being the best out of them has also struggled with his decision making.

City next and then those poxy international games for Sky. Jurgen needs to persuade Firmino, Salah and Mane to sit them out.

Yep, good post.
We are missing a creative player big time, we have one at the club (Shaquiri) but Jurgen obviously doesn't trust him defensively. You make a good point about Napoli's physicality as well, they basically bullied our MF, I lost count of the number of times one of our players ended up on their @rse.
Last year teams were wary of pressing us because we were so devastating on the break but yesterday Napoli were all over us like a rash, we just didn't have the footballing ability in our midfield to cope, most of our passing moves ended up back at Alisson's feet, when pressed our players just went backwards.
Our team is a bit of a one trick pony in the sense that it is built around our front 3, if our forward line is misfiring we don't have much else to offer, we haven't got a midfielder who is going to save the day by sticking it in the top corner from 25 yards a la Steve McMahon or Jan Molby.
The only bright spot from yesterday was the performances of Gomez, VVD and Alisson, we would have been hammered there last night if it wasn't for those 3.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:49 pm

We do have a midfielder with a shot but he's injured. I thought the ref could have done more to stop the cynical fouls pretty much everytime we tried to break.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby redshade » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:33 pm

Watched Coutinho vs Spurs and have to admit kind of missed the little b@stard. Klopp should play Shaq as a regular in Mid.
He is the best creative att mid we've got so really he should be used often.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Boocity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 am wrote:I have officially retired from starting match threads.

:laugh: You and me both kidda ,we miss Lee starting us off ,plus they can be funny as f*ck  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:23 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:38 am wrote:
red till i die!! » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:38 am wrote:We did go into that game as RBG says with the intention of inviting them on to us so we could counter. Klopp basically said as much after the game when he criticised Mane and Firmino for holding on to the ball to long and the chance disappears.  No one is saying it but that team misses Coutinho more than anyone will admit.

Yep, good post.
We are missing a creative player big time, we have one at the club (Shaquiri) but Jurgen obviously doesn't trust him defensively. You make a good point about Napoli's physicality as well, they basically bullied our MF, I lost count of the number of times one of our players ended up on their @rse.
Last year teams were wary of pressing us because we were so devastating on the break but yesterday Napoli were all over us like a rash, we just didn't have the footballing ability in our midfield to cope, most of our passing moves ended up back at Alisson's feet, when pressed our players just went backwards.
Our team is a bit of a one trick pony in the sense that it is built around our front 3, if our forward line is misfiring we don't have much else to offer, we haven't got a midfielder who is going to save the day by sticking it in the top corner from 25 yards a la Steve McMahon or Jan Molby.
The only bright spot from yesterday was the performances of Gomez, VVD and Alisson, we would have been hammered there last night if it wasn't for those 3.

Cracking post red and bang on the money Yakka
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:25 pm

Playing Shaqiri in the middle of the park yesterday would have left the team even further exposed - Just people trying to shoe horn square pegs into round holes. We were horribly exposed against Leicester with him there. He is a skillfull talented player who will flourish at Liverpool but it won’t be in midfield. People are desperately trying to blame the midfield and desperate to put people to replace Coutinho. Shaqiri will play in the front three just like on many occasions Coutinho played in the front three. We have 6 centre mids who will play take up those three roles - Firmino won’t be one of them and it’s highly likely that Shaqiri will be.
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby only me » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:30 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:25 pm wrote:Playing Shaqiri in the middle of the park yesterday would have left the team even further exposed - Just people trying to shoe horn square pegs into round holes. We were horribly exposed against Leicester with him there. He is a skillfull talented player who will flourish at Liverpool but it won’t be in midfield. People are desperately trying to blame the midfield and desperate to put people to replace Coutinho. Shaqiri will play in the front three just like on many occasions Coutinho played in the front three. We have 6 centre mids who will play take up those three roles - Firmino won’t be one of them and it’s highly likely that Shaqiri will be.

And you are desperate in protecting a one dimensional MF...Shaqiri unlike the other MF can protect the ball and can move to areas which count..Not that he is The solution but we were overrun as is and doing nothing was pathetic..
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby leeroy74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:37 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:21 pm wrote:
Boocity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:58 am wrote:I have officially retired from starting match threads.

:laugh: You and me both kidda ,we miss Lee starting us off ,plus they can be funny as f*ck  :D

You guys  :love:
leeroy74
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:52 pm

leeroy74 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:37 pm wrote:

You guys  :love:

Never mind basking in the glory fella ,make sure you start the City one before any of us Jonahs take a stab  :D
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:56 pm

Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:25 pm wrote:Playing Shaqiri in the middle of the park yesterday would have left the team even further exposed - Just people trying to shoe horn square pegs into round holes. We were horribly exposed against Leicester with him there. He is a skillfull talented player who will flourish at Liverpool but it won’t be in midfield. People are desperately trying to blame the midfield and desperate to put people to replace Coutinho. Shaqiri will play in the front three just like on many occasions Coutinho played in the front three. We have 6 centre mids who will play take up those three roles - Firmino won’t be one of them and it’s highly likely that Shaqiri will be.

You are all over the place. Against Leicester Shaquiri and Keita came on as subs with 20 minutes to go and changed the game, before that we were getting over run. You are thinking of the Southampton game when Jurgen took him off at HT when we were 3-0 up.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Boocity » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:23 pm

True, his stories about each team/city were great
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games