Napoli v Liverpool 03/10/2018 KO 8:00pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:43 pm

Worst performace of the season by a mile.

We've been disjointed all season, looked out of sorts. I said before the CL final last season that Milner and Hendo will not win you a trophy, especially the CL. NON EXISTENT tonight.

The problem is our Midfield. No Steven Gerrards in there unfortunately. Even Keita has been average.

Napoli Deserved the win, they were knocking on the door all the game for a goal , and I'm shocked we didn't lose by at least 3-0.

I would never play Hendo again in a red shirt, tottaly Clueless, and giving him a new long term contract just shows you the lack of Judgement by our MANAGER.

Also, he brought on sturridge with about five minutes to play, what was the fcking point of that. He should have made those subs on about 60 mins as the warning signs were there 1st half.

He needs to win us a trophy this season, no excuses.
Last edited by Ghost of Shankly on Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:45 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm wrote:I think he has to somehow shoehorn Shaquiri into our midfield to give the front 3 a bit of help, they are obviously struggling atm.

I'd put Firmino into the midfield pushed up behind Shaqiri Mane and Salah ,its the only plausible way we can link the midfield with the attack.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby 7_Kewell » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:50 pm

Bad day at the office. Thought we'd snatch a draw, but alas.

We go again. Onwards and upwards   :buttrock
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:58 pm

That defeat tonight and PSG's win 6-1 has turned this into a tough group now.
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:00 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:45 pm wrote:
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:28 pm wrote:I think he has to somehow shoehorn Shaquiri into our midfield to give the front 3 a bit of help, they are obviously struggling atm.

I'd put Firmino into the midfield pushed up behind Shaqiri Mane and Salah ,its the only plausible way we can link the midfield with the attack.

We need to do something mate because they have been misfiring for 2 solid months now, this is more than a blip.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:01 pm

Ghost of Shankly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:58 pm wrote:That defeat tonight and PSG's win 6-1 has turned this into a tough group now.

Hopefully PSG will do us a favour and beat Napoli home and away.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:54 pm

I was impressed with Gomez he was my pick from the lacklustre bunch.

Our attack did not look like its usual self. How many times did we miss place a pass or Salah/ Mane couldn't hold onto the ball.
A poor poor performance and i hope we don't see another if we are to take strides this season. Yes we will lose and drop points this season but I'd rather we play decently and lose rather than what happened tonight.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:01 pm wrote:
Ghost of Shankly » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:58 pm wrote:That defeat tonight and PSG's win 6-1 has turned this into a tough group now.

Hopefully PSG will do us a favour and beat Napoli home and away.

I know you get some flack mate for criticising the midfield , but I for one, agree 100%. Our midfield tonight was total kack. Napoli breezed through it like it wasn't even there.

Milner was a fringe player when we signed him. Hendo is Rubbish. and Keita has failed to impress so far.

We NEED a Steven Gerrard or a Kevin De Bruyne type of box to box player to create chances and run our midfield. De Bruyne is an LFC fan, and I'm gutted City pipped us to him from Wolfsburg.

This midfield is not going to win us anything this season, despite our bright start in the league, I'm afraid.

:(
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby Franky000 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:24 am

The truth is, a lot of teams would have struggled against Napoli tonight - ok they weren’t spectacular themselves, but they defended really well as a unit and totally harassed our players into making mistakes and giving up possession time and time again. Ancelotti is a smooth operator, he had his team employ that robust, old skool Italian style of play. I think we were purposely set up to be slightly hesitant, similar to the City game at the etihad in last season’s CL where we soaked up the pressure and killed them on the break once they knackered out. Only Napoli didn’t give us a chance to counter without our attacks being snuffed out by their players quickly shuffling back. Perhaps the manager wanted to kill two birds with one stone by getting something out of the game without overexertion...to conserve energy for the City game. It nearly worked as well.
Franky000

Postby only me » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 am

Franky000 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:24 pm wrote:The truth is, a lot of teams would have struggled against Napoli tonight - ok they weren’t spectacular themselves, but they defended really well as a unit and totally harassed our players into making mistakes and giving up possession time and time again. Ancelotti is a smooth operator, he had his team employ that robust, old skool Italian style of play. I think we were purposely set up to be slightly hesitant, similar to the City game at the etihad in last season’s CL where we soaked up the pressure and killed them on the break once they knackered out. Only Napoli didn’t give us a chance to counter without our attacks being snuffed out by their players quickly shuffling back. Perhaps the manager wanted to kill two birds with one stone by getting something out of the game without overexertion...to conserve energy for the City game. It nearly worked as well.

Their is to struggle and their is last night...We were scared, not organized ,totally unprepared ,showed no will nor courage to step up and respond...If they pressure us we could do the same to them..We could have introduced players like Shaquiri which have excellent ball control and passing ,We could/should have done a lot of things differently but Klopp didn't show up.(It's becoming a worrying trend with him..inability to react during a game)..This type of game reminded me when Skertel and lovern were hoofing balls forward because  they were pressured and our MF showed no ability to drop and provide relief.Very Very poor game.
only me
LFC Super Member

Postby Boocity » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:29 am

RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Oct 03, 2018 9:41 pm wrote:Well at least there should be no excuses of tiredness for Sunday because they all had a good kip tonight ,10 players flying in the face of medical science by belying the widely held belief you cant move in a coma.

Ridiculously defensive ,static in the middle ,and hapless upfront ,never mind a welcoming arm around him ,Salah needs a f*cking good shake ,he's acting like Ramos bummed him rather than injured him !  Allison /Gomez share the man of the match  ,Robertson Arnold Wijnaldum Milner , Salah Mane and Firmino stunk the place out.

Been thinking the same about Salah, hasn't been the same player since that injury and was getting brushed off the ball too easily last night. Might be an idea to drop him to the bench
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Lallana in Pyjamas » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:29 am

Salah still has strapping on his shoulder so suspect he is still feeling his way back from that.

Last night was a combination of all evils

The fullbacks were very wasteful going forward , TAA had his worst game for us and Robbo wasnt his usual self. The three in the middle looked a bit jaded - especially Milner and losing Naby early was a blow. The front three just got nothing going - they saw plenty of the ball but many times they kept hold of it too long

BUT - Napoli are a very good side and they showed that last night - comments about them being ***** are either people being too arrogant or they dont understand how good Napoli are as a team. They were solid at the back especially the CB's - they were functional in the middle but their forwards caused a lot of issues out wide

It was always going to be a tough game - a draw would have been a solid result but we are going to lose at some stages throughout the season and its now how the manager and players react

But sometimes you just have to hold your hand up to the opposition
Lallana in Pyjamas
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am

The grp is wide open. We lost an away game to a rival team in the grp. Its not good but not the end of the world. What we need to do is win both games against red star, at least a draw against PSG and beat Napoli at home and we should still top the grp.

Get a grip guys.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby parchpea » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:28 am

Poor performance individually and as a collective, few badly off form too at the moment.

We are now just hoping home advantage will carry us through the City game really.

An off night but not the end of our season.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:41 am

Liverpool went into that game with the plan to invite Napoli on to them and use the counter and it proved a weak strategy and at best naive. I don't think I've ever seen so many Liverpool players so reluctant to cross the halfway line,the midfield looked loathe to support the attack and Salah and Mane invariably were forced to bring the ball from deep to mount any kind of offensive play. Like many have said, it was the complacent side of this Liverpool team I thought had been exorcised this season but as last night proved its still there waiting in the shadows ready to haunt us once again.

I feel Milner needs to be used sparingly and in games were we need to be more rigid ,but games when he's up against rapid wingers and talented and innovative midfielders  to support them ,we need a player who will create. As for the attack I would prefer to see Firmino pushed up to play in the Coutinho role behind Mane Salah and Shaqiri ,I'd definitely think about putting Salah in the middle of the three and I'd tell him for the time being to concentrate on bringing Mane and Shaqiri into the play and forget about trying to find the onion bag and just play with less pressure to slot.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games