Pre Season Friendlies 2018

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redshade » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:59 pm

3-1 Dortmund FT.

2nd half was more entertaining at one point we really should've been 2-0 up had Ojo finished.
Thought Keita looked good again. Pulisic was on fire for Dortmund scored 2 assisted 1.

Btw Karius with another howler but who cares we've got Alisson.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby 7_Kewell » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:49 pm

Always difficult to judge things when so many changes are made at half time. Am a bit worried about Matip's injury record though. 

Karius looks mentally shot. He needs a loan or something away from the limelight
“You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.”
7_Kewell
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Welsh wizzard 13 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:51 pm

Who's gona be our No2 keeper cause surely karius and Migolet need to go ward gone so who'll step up ?
Welsh wizzard 13
LFC Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:52 pm

bunglemark2 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:56 pm wrote:Can't find the right thread for it, but there's a documentary on bbc2 tonight about Shankly. Looks good.

Thanks for the heads up mate, watched the first 10 minutes of it at HT and as you say it looks really good. I'll watch the rest of it tomorrow.

As for the game itself we played well for 87 minutes then completely unraveled at the end.
Keita, Sturridge and big Virgil were the stand out performers for me.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Typical preseason tippy tappy stuff for the most of it. The teams put out only consist of a few starters each half so it looked hard to get flowing.

Same problems exist though in that outside our front 3 we have no goals and cannot kill a game off. We were comfortable for the most of it so the finish score didnt really reflect the game but thats what happens when you create very little and fluff what you do.

Thought fabinho looked good in what he brought and also keita. Both will be starters.  Still think we could do with something different in reserve up front because all sturridge, origi and solanke bring is the SOS factor to the ship. None of them are good enough.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:25 pm

Typical preseason tippy tappy stuff for the most of it. The teams put out only consist of a few starters each half so it looked hard to get flowing.

Same problems exist though in that outside our front 3 we have no goals and cannot kill a game off. We were comfortable for the most of it so the finish score didnt really reflect the game but thats what happens when you create very little and fluff what you do.

Thought fabinho looked good in what he brought and also keita. Both will be starters.  Still think we could do with something different in reserve up front because all sturridge, origi and solanke bring is the SOS factor to the ship. None of them are good enough.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm

red till i die!! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:25 pm wrote:Typical preseason tippy tappy stuff for the most of it. The teams put out only consist of a few starters each half so it looked hard to get flowing.

I think Sturridge has been one of our best players this pre-season mate, he looks lean, fit and sharp and has scored 3 goals playing in scratch sides. Granted you can't shake that feeling that another injury is just around the corner but I think it's a bit unfair to compare him to Solanke and Origi, Sturridge is on a different level to those 2, he's a genuine quality footballer.
If he keeps this form up I'd like to see him as an AM, his vision and through balls are almost Coutinho-esque. He's a very clever player.
Plenty of footballers have re-invented themselves over the years as they have got older, Ray Kennedy went from target man CF to a cultured left sided midfielder, Ian Callaghan went from flying winger to controlling CM as did John Barnes.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ghost of Shankly » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:57 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:42 pm wrote:
red till i die!! » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:25 pm wrote:Typical preseason tippy tappy stuff for the most of it. The teams put out only consist of a few starters each half so it looked hard to get flowing.

I think Sturridge has been one of our best players this pre-season mate, he looks lean, fit and sharp and has scored 3 goals playing in scratch sides. Granted you can't shake that feeling that another injury is just around the corner but I think it's a bit unfair to compare him to Solanke and Origi, Sturridge is on a different level to those 2, he's a genuine quality footballer.
If he keeps this form up I'd like to see him as an AM, his vision and through balls are almost Coutinho-esque. He's a very clever player.
Plenty of footballers have re-invented themselves over the years as they have got older, Ray Kennedy went from target man CF to a cultured left sided midfielder, Ian Callaghan went from flying winger to controlling CM as did John Barnes.

He's only 28. Got 3/4 good seasons left in him yet. I'd keep hold of him
Ghost of Shankly
LFC Guru Member

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:02 am

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb wrote:

He does look fit and its probably the reason why he looks good against lesser sides but last night he was average against better opposition. 2 of those goals scored also were against Chester. He also looked fit when heading out on loan to West Brom and that only lasted 3 games.

I am not questioning the lads quality at all and he is better than the other 2 but you have to be on the pitch to show it. He can't stay fit and thinking he could this season is wishful thinking. Even when he has played under Klopp he has looked lost in the system and at one point the other 2 were ahead of him in the pecking order. Playing as an AM would require more of him as he would have to be constantly moving and ducking challenges which imo he wouldn't handle. Certainly clever enough for it but he has had his chance.
dan.PNG
dan.PNG (40.99 KiB) Viewed 658 times

I was actually surprised he had played that much under Klopp. A big drop off in his strike to game ratio during same period so imo shows he doesn't fit Klopps system so well.

Aside from that Matip returned home with a muscle tear but should be fit for when the season starts.
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/f ... s-14944162
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:30 pm

Sturridge was one of our best players Sunday night! If he was average god knows how you'd rate everyone else.
Klopp seemed impressed with him in his post match prezza anyway.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:16 pm

I'm still slightly perplexed how the manager can gauge individual performances when each eleven he fields is hampered by average players ,would it not be more sensible to play our best available eleven in the second half ? Would it be too much to see lallana linking up with Keita whilst Fabinho protects our back four and Sturridge up front with Solanke. Is it just me that thinks both teams Klopp put out against Dortmund were engineered to look disjointed ,I know its only preseason but to me it looks like we definitely need at least 3 more players in this window ,defensively we still look lost when the big man isn't playing at the back and we look devoid of any real talent from the wings, which is all a bit ridiculous when you think we've just loaned out the two most impressive players in preseason
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Eagle » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:32 pm

I don't think you can gauge too much from pre-season friendlies (remember Voronin?). It's good to have a look at the academy players but those that handle the intense training between the games tend to play the best. I'd imagine we'll get a better idea from the final two friendlies against Napoli and Torino. By that time the players who were here on day 1 will have had their training load reduced and we're likely to start with an 11 pretty close to the one which will play against West Ham.
Eagle

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:38 pm

I understand that mate but the performances have been so disparate I'm just wondering what we have learned from each game ,usually you can see the shoots of a partnership gelling betwixt the midfield and attack but we were all over the place against Dortmund.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:19 pm

I tend to agree with RBG, I have never understood why we waste valuable pre season games essentially getting players fit for other clubs (when they go out on loan) or for the U23's/U18's etc. I would have thought we'd be better off bedding new signings into the starting XI and ironing out any issues so we can hit the ground running.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:48 pm

ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:19 am wrote:I tend to agree with RBG, I have never understood why we waste valuable pre season games essentially getting players fit for other clubs (when they go out on loan) or for the U23's/U18's etc. I would have thought we'd be better off bedding new signings into the starting XI and ironing out any issues so we can hit the ground running.

I agree totally mate,Liverpool used to basically use these games to ensure the new players were integrated successfully into the team and to give them a taste of the players they will be playing with when the season kicks off for real. Why play the likes of Origi  ,Ojo ,Wilson and Kent if you knew they would be plying their trade elsewhere next season ?  This fielding of 11 different players in each half is baffling ,how are they to adjust or develop an understanding if they're playing with players not best suited to their game or indeed likely to either be sold or loaned.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games