LIVERPOOL vs ATLETICO - Europa semi (2nd leg) - Thurs 29/04/10 - k.o 8.05pm

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby NANNY RED » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:54 pm

Well i for one think its a fecking disgrace were being made to travel like this ,
HE WHO BETRAYS WILL ALWAYS WALK ALONE
NANNY RED
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Greavesie » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:08 pm

NANNY RED wrote:Well i for one think its a fecking disgrace were being made to travel like this ,

I just dont like the fact that Atletico can train in all the days running up to the game whereas we have far less prep time than them. Then theres all of the reds travelling to the game...
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:45 pm

oh well, its all over now, the planes can take off, it will not take them long to get home after the and thats one good thing
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:25 pm

I still dont get why they cant fly directly from Paris now....Why do they need to go by train to Bordeaux in order to catch a flight  ??? 

(assuming the French airport authorities in Paris are playing ball that is)

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby lakes10 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm

from what i hear the team are now going to get a plane from Paris to Madrid. they are not sure if they are going to stay in paris tonight and get the plane in the morning.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby lakes10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:12 am

lol got that wrong, they are on a train now, Rafa just given his Press talk on the train lol.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 am

THE BRENDAN REVOLUTION IS UPON US !

KING KENNY.. Always LEGEND !

RAFA.. MADE THE PEOPLE HAPPY !

Miss YOU Phil-Drummer - RIP YNWA

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby zarababe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:44 am

Media-bod on BBC with the squad on their Journey : I'm (Ian Dennis) with the squad every step of the way, along with former Blackburn striker and BBC Radio 5 live pundit Kevin Gallacher, and will keep you fully updated. All times BST.

(Read Bottom up)

1324: After that minor delay the Liverpool players are quickly through the airport and off to the hotel for a well-earned rest. Training at half past seven will give them the chance to stretch any aching muscles. It's been an adventure. Now I need to concentrate on my commentary notes for the match and hope we can fly home! Adios.

Benitez holds an unorthodox news conference whilst on the train
1245: Just to compound matters, there is a delay in disembarking the plane as we wait for the steps. The players are all standing in the aisle as they stretch their legs.

1240: Touchdown in Madrid at 1233. The air hostess said over the pa system, 'I hope you have had a pleasant trip!' I'm not sure pleasant is the word to describe the last 23 hours and 29 minutes!

WEDNESDAY

1121: So close. Sat on plane ready for take off. The media are gathered at the back of the plane, it's a tight squeeze. The players are spread out as much as they can. Some tired faces. On the move. SPAIN HERE WE COME.

1042: Feeling a bit leggy at this stage but there's a welcome sight on the tarmac at Bordeaux... a plane! Feeling optimistic that we can fly home. Nobody fancies making the same epic journey back.

0950: Arrived in Bordeaux. Glorious. Clear blue skies and sunshine. Transfer now to the airport where the plan is to catch the plane to Madrid.

0909: Mood much more buoyant after early start, lots of banter. French vocabulary is limited so enlisted the help of a pleasant girl called Yseline who informs us we are due to arrive in Bordeaux at half past 10. Much hilarity at my poor French, sounded like Del Boy. Mange tout Marlene!

0828: That was a unique experience. Rafa standing in a cramped buffet car speaking to the media. In excellent form, and very positive, he even joked about playing cards with the media to help pass the time. You will be able to hear his thoughts on BBC Radio 5 live and this website once I can file the interview - at the moment we are suffering with technical issues.

0752: We have a media briefing with Rafa at 9am local time in the buffet car of our train. I have to say it will be the first time I have ever conducted an interview in such a place. Talking informally with him yesterday he was certainly in an upbeat mood. Will let you know what he has to say later.

Deacon Blue's Ricky Ross once had the honour of singing with Kevin Gallacher
0725: After snubbing me for most of yesterday, Kevin (Gallacher) is much more talkative this morning. Just as I was thinking of a quick nap, he drops in that he has sang on stage with Ricky Ross of Deacon Blue. As a massive fan of the group, it's the most impressive thing he has mentioned on the trip so far!

0640: Second stage of the journey begins with bleary eyes after a 0430 wake-up call. Train departed at 0630 on a three-and-a-half-hour journey from the French capital to the southwest city of Bordeaux. From there we will catch a flight to Madrid. Enthusiasm has waned and there's plenty of red eyes around.

TUESDAY
1857: Arrived at the Gare du Nord in Paris. There were plenty of TV crews and general media around to welcome them, lots of mingling with the general public too. The Liverpool players are still causing a stir wherever they go, with people asking for autographs and making the most of photo opportunities. It's back to the hotel now and an early start on Wednesday for the Paris to Bordeaux leg of the journey. Bonne nuit!

Liverpool arrived at Gare du Nord train station in Paris on Tuesday
1837: Rafa strolled through into media carriage, Liverpool boss in good spirits smiling and chatting with journalists. Told me long journey not ideal but good for team building and morale. Sense Liverpool will be more than ready despite arduous trip and only halfway there!

1745: Emerged through the tunnel about 15 minutes ago. Kevin Gallacher well prepared for such a long journey. He has dispensed with his electronic games and is now watching a film! We are like a married couple!

1725: Press boys busy typing away for the morning's papers... others either reading or dozing. Soon to leave the blue skies and sunshine of Kent for France.

1652: We are underway on the second leg of the journey now, with the media in a carriage next to the players. Kevin pleaded with me to bring out the wine gums, which were soon snaffled up! As you can tell, it's very sedate. So far...

1544: The media representatives among us are transferred on to a very plush bus, with luxurious, grey leather seats. It turns out to be one of Arsenal's team coaches. We head to St Pancras, where we're now awaiting our Eurostar departure at 1630 BST. The players are in a lounge, while outside in the station, there are chaotic scenes with Eurostar workers in their luminous yellow bibs trying to assist the hundreds of people hoping to get on a train.

Liverpool players leave for Madrid
1501: We are at Euston and there are two luxury coaches that have come as close as they can to the platform and are waiting for the players to take them on the short trip to King's Cross [0.4 miles away]. There are a lot of people here wondering what all the fuss is about as they can see these are two very glitzy, silver coaches and there are two camera crews as well.

1432: Guard asked for "tickets please". She didn't believe we were all part of travelling media and said someone's credit card would take a pounding. Travel rep stepped in to sort it out.

1426: The train is about half an hour away from Euston.

1350: We are just outside Stafford, with another 24 hours to go, but at least we're under way.

Both England sides are at a major disadvantage for Thursday's first leg. Uefa were caught, they couldn't do anything else. There just isn't any room for manoeuvre at this stage of the season.

We are scheduled to arrive at 1330 in Madrid tomorrow afternoon so the players will still have time to recover ahead of Thursday evening.

Benitez boards a train at Runcorn as Liverpool start their marathon trip
Former Blackburn and Scotland striker Kevin Gallacher's already playing tennis on his phone and refusing to talk to me. It's worth pointing out Liverpool's trip to Madrid is twice the distance Fulham are making to northern Germany.

1255: The players have arrived and went straight into the first-class lounge at the station. The camera crews and autograph hunters are packed along the platform, peering in through the windows. It's going to be a challenge boarding. The train is due off at 1304 BST.

1240: Ready to board a train from Runcorn to Euston but no sign of the Liverpool squad yet. A few photographers and autograph hunters here. The plan is to catch three trains in total to get to Bordeaux in southern France and then fly to the Spanish capital. That could all change, though.
Last edited by zarababe on Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:21 am

0828: That was a unique experience. Rafa standing in a cramped buffet car speaking to the media. In excellent form, and very positive, he even joked about playing cards with the media to help pass the time.

He's still fair game though, eh.......  :glare:  A, fat balding, arrogant, foreign.....disgraceful, ignorant and tactically inept c*nt of a man. Albeit, not a gum-chewing, single-malt supping one...so, there are SOME alluring traits to admire I suppose.

In reality:

Rafa - i bet he'd have the time of day for anyone who endeavoured to engage him. From the cleaner to the cabbie to the CEO.

Footballing matters aside, it is exactly that 'vulnerability' which is getting prayed on by a large section of this country's *cough*  'Professional' media.  Juventus aren't ar5ed about whether or not Rafa Benitez is 'a good sort' - they wish to employ him on terms of his curriculum vitae and what they believe he can bring to an ailing giant with dreams of a renaissance - spot the irony?

We are/were....(perhaps)  lucky to have had his services. Imagine for a moment Ferguson - giving such a relaxed and impromptu 'mini-press conference' (re: Chinwag over a brew and an arl BR Cheese and Pickle butty) in the buffet car of a train!?

Not on your nelly!

Best of luck Reds and Rafa Benitez. Whatever the next few months hold for you personally, iam more than happy to have the image of you etched on my memory as being one of humility, good manners and most above all - a man who was/is, a true ambassador for the people (ordinary people....) who support this great club which is STILL, revered across the breadth of the continent.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby zarababe » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:28 am

red37 wrote:Best of luck Reds and Rafa Benitez. Whatever the next few months hold for you personally, iam more than happy to have the image of you etched on my memory as being one of humility, good manners and most above all - a man who was/is, a true ambassador for the people (ordinary people....) who support this great club which is STILL, revered across the breadth of the continent.

Just harken back to the road to Istanbul and his impromptu appearance at a Bar full of Liverpool supporters, remember the scenes and the delight for the lucky ones who were there.. he has time for the fans, respects us all and is truly greatful to those who folloow the team all over the world.. Rafa is the Man !

zarababe
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby SouthCoastShankly » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 pm

zarababe wrote:
red37 wrote:Best of luck Reds and Rafa Benitez. Whatever the next few months hold for you personally, iam more than happy to have the image of you etched on my memory as being one of humility, good manners and most above all - a man who was/is, a true ambassador for the people (ordinary people....) who support this great club which is STILL, revered across the breadth of the continent.

Just harken back to the road to Istanbul and his impromptu appearance at a Bar full of Liverpool supporters, remember the scenes and the delight for the lucky ones who were there.. he has time for the fans, respects us all and is truly greatful to those who folloow the team all over the world.. Rafa is the Man !

You're right, Rafa is a thoroughly nice bloke who means an awful lot to Liverpool FC. Unfortunately for him and his track record, he isn't the man to bring the title back to Anfield.
SouthCoastShankly
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red37 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:49 pm

SouthCoastShankly wrote:
zarababe wrote:

You're right, Rafa is a thoroughly nice bloke who means an awful lot to Liverpool FC. Unfortunately for him and his track record, he isn't the man to bring the title back to Anfield.

Why i said 'Footballing matters aside' - despite the inescapable path of discussion that that subject inevitably provokes....he fully is deserving of our respect as a 'man'

I'll repeat - the excerpt offered by zara in her post is a cameo typical of him. I see few other managers ingratiating themselves with such dignity, in what is after all to be honest - tantamount to the lions' den, in terms of the press and their oft, ill construed agenda.

I'd certainly be honoured to have shared a bevvy with him in Cologne that night.....i'd consider it a priviledge to go halves on a Choc-chip muffin aboard a train somewhere outside of Runcorn [heaven forbid i have to go near the place out of choice otherwise....]

And i will most definately be thankful to him for all the other (minor) yet, meaningful occasions where he has embraced the 'Liverpool Way' in everyday life outside of the matters on the pitch.

Thats a judgement to be reserved until after the game tomorrow and subsequent results for the remainder of the season. Then - he can be dissected professionally, with as much voracity as undoubtedly will be the case, im sure.

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:04 pm

One minor thing that could come out of this is that the players might appreciate a bit more what things are like for fans travelling to some of these games in europe.
The time and effort they put in to follow these players i mean.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby Fauxy » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:33 pm

Ive seen quite a few video's of the players on their travels on sky sports news and stuff and they all have big smiles on their faces :)

Could be a morale booster ?
Fauxy

Postby red37 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:12 pm

Fauxy wrote:Could be a morale booster ?

Can't be anything but....

I mean, who can escape that inspiring feeling of camaraderie whilst offering up a rousing collective rendition of 'Charlie had a Pidgeon'  with your mates from the back of the school bus, on the way to Chester Zoo or somewhere...

(I still remember the words...)  :D

TITANS of HOPE
red37
LFC Guru Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games