Liverpool V Villareal - Europa Semi 2nd leg - Thurs 5th May

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby C-R » Mon May 02, 2016 12:13 pm

There is zero debate, this without doubt is our biggest match of the season and the biggest match for us since we nearly won the EPL a couple of years back

Injury and suspension wise we all pretty much know where we stand, lots of injuries and Sakho pretty much gone now

There will be a lot of divided opinion on what team should be fielded for this match, I will give mine below, so please feel free to pick it apart

I believe we must 100% go for it from the very first minute of the match, none of this keep it tight for the first 15 minutes nonsense we simply don't have the players (fit) to do that at the moment, so we go all out offensive

Mignolet

Moreno Lovren Kolo Clyne

Milner Allen Coutinho Firmino

Sturridge  AND Benteke

The above is not a 4-4-2 by the way, but I would certainly start the pair of them (although I see JK starting Lallana)

We go for this, 1st minute until the final minute, we go for the jugular, a lot of players are playing for their futures and have a lot to prove if they wish to be a part of this club next season

No if's, no but's and no maybe's - go get them lads !!

:buttrock
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby maguskwt » Mon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm

COME ON!!!!!!! :buttrock  :buttrock  :buttrock
Even though i am feeling this anti-climatic feeling which is born out of the possibility that we may be in our downward cycle after the highs of BD, much like how we went on a downward cycle after we thrashed southampton 6-1.
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby woof woof ! » Mon May 02, 2016 6:02 pm

C-R » Mon May 02, 2016 12:13 pm wrote:There will be a lot of divided opinion on what team should be fielded for this match, I will give mine below, so please feel free to pick it apart

I believe we must 100% go for it from the very first minute of the match, none of this keep it tight for the first 15 minutes nonsense we simply don't have the players (fit) to do that at the moment, so we go all out offensive

Mignolet

Moreno Lovren Kolo Clyne

Milner Allen Coutinho Firmino

Sturridge  AND Benteke

The above is not a 4-4-2 by the way, but I would certainly start the pair of them (although I see JK starting Lallana)

We go for this, 1st minute until the final minute, we go for the jugular, a lot of players are playing for their futures and have a lot to prove if they wish to be a part of this club next season

No if's, no but's and no maybe's - go get them lads !!

:buttrock

Moreno at RB and Clyne at LB ? Is this some kind of Jeddi Mind Trick ?    :D

I think we've got to be aggressive BUT at the same time solid.

I'd go for

.                                  Mignolet

. Clyne            Touro                    Lovren                 Moreno

.                                  Lucas
.           Milner                                      Allen

.                      Lallana           Coutinho

.                               Sturridge

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Mon May 02, 2016 7:22 pm

I'm a bit bemused as to why the thread for the game at their place has been locked ,truth is I'm actually more than a touch fucked off its been closed for no other reason than posters wanting to discuss what happened  rather than what's going to happen .....Please, for the love of God don't start policing the place like they do at RAWK ,as  what makes this place so special is we can keep threads alive and revisit when the need arises.

Rant over !!!!
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby devaney » Mon May 02, 2016 8:12 pm

RBG - It's because it got to 11 pages mate !!!

I agree with Woofs team I think? Could Benteke cause them a headache? And I dont know who I would leave out..... Who be a manager?  :laugh:
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

Postby parchpea » Mon May 02, 2016 8:14 pm

In recent times we only turn up for mission impossible so being behind may well bring out our best.
parchpea
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Mon May 02, 2016 8:20 pm

devaney » Mon May 02, 2016 8:12 pm wrote:RBG - It's because it got to 11 pages mate !!!

I agree with Woofs team I think? Could Benteke cause them a headache? And I dont know who I would leave out..... Who be a manager?  :laugh:

:nod
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 02, 2016 9:07 pm

devaney » Mon May 02, 2016 7:12 pm wrote:RBG - It's because it got to 11 pages mate !!!

I was thinking that myself mate, maybe our best bet against this lot would be to go a bit more direct, they have a reputation of being defensively sound but they do play in a league where everyone plays nice football and keeps it on the deck. Trying to pass our way through them might be playing into their hands.
Maybe a high tempo approach with Benteke knocking down balls for others to latch onto is the way to go.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby damjan193 » Mon May 02, 2016 9:46 pm

That's a very good point yakka. The more I think about it the closer I get to the realization that Benteke might be a very useful addition to the line-up for this game, like an ace up our sleeve. Villarreal will expect our usual, pressing and passing game, but what we'd give them would be the classic English game, bombard them with crosses as much as possible but also use our flair players for our usual approach. Could be risky, but this is what I have in mind:

Mignolet

Clyne      Toure     Lovren     Moreno

Lucas

Milner                      Lallana

Coutinho

Sturridge     Benteke

Looks very risky I know, sacrificing an in form Allen, and even Firmino for that matter for Benteke might seem crazy to some. We might lose a lot in our pressing game with both Benteke and Sturridge playing at the same time, players not exactly known for their hard work, and the midfield looks exposed as well. But I'm certain that this formation is workable. The midfield is not a problem IMO, we played something similar against Everton and it worked fine. The problem is sacrificing the pressing game for firepower. Can Klopp make that work? Abandon his main approach and go with sheer firepower instead? Would we be able to use Benteke's full potential? Would we be able to find a middle ground between playing long ball/crosses and using our flair players? Those are the things I'm afraid of. On paper I think it could work, question is do WE know how to make it work?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby C-R » Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 pm

Just wanted to post this, got it from a sometimes reliable source that Emre Can is in contention to play on Thursday

EDIT: Express now reporting this too http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Final-News
C-R
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Mon May 02, 2016 10:49 pm

damjan193 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:46 pm wrote:That's a very good point yakka. The more I think about it the closer I get to the realization that Benteke might be a very useful addition to the line-up for this game, like an ace up our sleeve. Villarreal will expect our usual, pressing and passing game, but what we'd give them would be the classic English game, bombard them with crosses as much as possible but also use our flair players for our usual approach. Could be risky, but this is what I have in mind:

Mignolet

Clyne      Toure     Lovren     Moreno

Lucas

Milner                      Lallana

Coutinho

Sturridge     Benteke

Looks very risky I know, sacrificing an in form Allen, and even Firmino for that matter for Benteke might seem crazy to some. We might lose a lot in our pressing game with both Benteke and Sturridge playing at the same time, players not exactly known for their hard work, and the midfield looks exposed as well. But I'm certain that this formation is workable. The midfield is not a problem IMO, we played something similar against Everton and it worked fine. The problem is sacrificing the pressing game for firepower. Can Klopp make that work? Abandon his main approach and go with sheer firepower instead? Would we be able to use Benteke's full potential? Would we be able to find a middle ground between playing long ball/crosses and using our flair players? Those are the things I'm afraid of. On paper I think it could work, question is do WE know how to make it work?

With a place in a European final at stake I think even Benteke and Sturridge will put a shift in, the crowd will demand it anyway so they won't have any choice, if they just let players waltz past them the crowd will soon get on their backs.
Your side looks pretty good to me mate, besides if it's not working Jurgen has got 3 subs there he can easily change it round.
I say we go for it! :buttrock
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue May 03, 2016 12:33 am

C-R » Mon May 02, 2016 10:32 pm wrote:Just wanted to post this, got it from a sometimes reliable source that Emre Can is in contention to play on Thursday

EDIT: Express now reporting this too http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football ... Final-News

I thought his out for the rest of the season...
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby redshade » Tue May 03, 2016 12:43 am

If we do play Benteke, as some have suggested, where will the service come from? Milner is our only player who can whip in a decent ball at times. The others can't cross accurately.

Personally i would like to see this attack.

Milner lucas

Lallana  Firminho Coutinho

Sturridge

Should be enough attacking flair. If it don't work then possibly plan B benteke 2nd half.
redshade
LFC Guru Member

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue May 03, 2016 4:35 am

devaney » Mon May 02, 2016 7:12 pm wrote:RBG - It's because it got to 11 pages mate !!!

Southampton v Liverpool 14 pages ,United v Liverpool 14 pages ,and yet still open to post in  ??? I could name others who haven't had the door shut on them.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Tue May 03, 2016 7:36 am

devaney » Tue May 03, 2016 3:12 am wrote:Could Benteke cause them a headache? :laugh:

He's there to score not bore them to death! I'd be loath to let him into the ground never mind the team.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Next

Return to Liverpool FC - Games