LIVERPOOL V MANCHESTER UNITED 4/8/2014

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby ethanr » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:30 am

Sucks to lose this one. More because it's united than anything. I mean we were definitely missing more starters than they were, but still. I don't see why our three CM's who were just subbed on, two of which are considered DM's, didn't feel the need to get back.

And of all the players we could have play the full 90 minutes, we left Glen Johnson on the pitch. Rodgers must have had no desire, at any point, to win this trophy.
DESPITE THE FACT I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA...
ethanr

Postby Mikz » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:33 am

apart from sterling.....that was woeful ..we made them look good - Nice to see the defence in better shape than last season
'' Gary lineker may well have scored 5 goals in 5 minutes , but i think you have to say, what else did he do '' ...Jimmy Hill
Mikz
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:34 am

Well, fair play to them, they beat us. Can't say I remember seeing anyone celebrate goals like that in a friendly, this cup must have really meant a lot to them.

Anyway, I don't think we played too bad, I think we did OK but got a bit arrogant once we scored the pen, we thought we had it in the bag I think. Disappointed that we didn't see Enrique, Suso or Coates. Especially puzzled why we didn't see Enrique to be honest, Brendan can't rate Johnson and Kelly above him surely?
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby ycsatbjywtbiastkamb » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:51 am

damjan193 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 am wrote:Well, fair play to them, they beat us. Can't say I remember seeing anyone celebrate goals like that in a friendly, this cup must have really meant a lot to them.

Anyway, I don't think we played too bad, I think we did OK but got a bit arrogant once we scored the pen, we thought we had it in the bag I think. Disappointed that we didn't see Enrique, Suso or Coates. Especially puzzled why we didn't see Enrique to be honest, Brendan can't rate Johnson and Kelly above him surely?

The fullbacks were awful, gave the ball away practically every time they attempted anything other than a simple square pass and they were slow to react to danger. Lost count of how many times Mingolet hoiked the ball out of play at the half way line as well, we used that tactic a lot last season and it didn't work then either.
Lambert seemed to struggle with the intensity of our pressing game too although it can be a bit of a thankless task being up there on your own.
The overall performance wasn't too bad, I thought we controlled the game for the most part and the score line deffo flattered them (they basically had their best team out as well) but it is worrying how easy it is to score against us. I just hope the likes of Lovren, Manquillo and hopefully Moreno can give us a bit of solidity at the back because if not it's going to be a long season.
ycsatbjywtbiastkamb
LFC Guru Member

Postby killerp » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:07 am

Would love to see a brand new pairing at the back with Lovren and Illori to see how they go together.
killerp

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 am

I thought first half we looked pretty impressive.
The high pressing and energy we had caused them a lot of problems and we deserved to go in more than 1-0 up.
We then conceded 2 poor goals in quick succesion and let the game slip away.
Skrtel was at his usual self - ball watching for the first goal forgetting where the danger would come from.
For the second Mata had far too much room.

I felt a bit sorry for Lambert as it's a very tough job playing as a loan striker. I dont think he has the pace to do it effectively enough to be honest.
With the injuries Sturridge picks up I think it is clear to see that we will need another striker.
Who to bring in is a tough one but like John said Bony is a decent player.
The Mirror is reporting today that Swansea are likely going to drop their asking price as he wants away.
If we could pick him up for 15 i'd take him.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:01 am

damjan193 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 am wrote:Well, fair play to them, they beat us. Can't say I remember seeing anyone celebrate goals like that in a friendly, this cup must have really meant a lot to them.

He just recovered from a long term injury and they have been playing a lot of games with two a day training sessions in between.
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby kazza » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:04 am

Seriously worried about the keeper. He does not look confident at all with the ball at his feet. I hold my breath every time a ball is played back to him. This is a major issue in my opinion... As for Johnson  :no
kazza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby red till i die!! » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:27 am

disappointed with that one if im honest. thought we did well first half but still lacked any real threat or cutting edge to our play. in the second they became more comfortable and found better space to open us up. they stretched us using their width and kept us on the backfoot and in the end got a comfortable win.
we have a lot of work to do in the next 2 weeks  :nod
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby maguskwt » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:00 pm

Why did our line up look so last season except without starridge and Suarez...
maguskwt
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Soupyzrx » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:08 pm

kazza » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:04 am wrote:Seriously worried about the keeper. He does not look confident at all with the ball at his feet. I hold my breath every time a ball is played back to him. This is a major issue in my opinion... As for Johnson  :no

Yeah, totally agree with that. Mignolet, along with Johnson, Sakho, Toure and to some degree, Kelly... every time the ball goes near them I'm thinking, "Oh sh1t, what's gonna happen here?" And as for up front.... I know Lambert is a fan and all, but suffice to say that we signed him but we still need a striker, because if Sturridge isn't available or hits a bad patch of form, we don't have one at present. I was always dubious about bringing Lambert in, and now I see why.
The manager has GOT to see this too, surely? We'll never be able to get close to the Suarridge partnership in the coming seasons, but we definitely need a couple, or at least one, good strikers. Not necessarily big names (although that does help everyone psychologically) but they need to be very good. They need to want to be our new saviour, and never stop trying.
I know last night's game was a friendly, but it still hurt to lose to those cnuts. Just watching Rooney's goal celebration made me want to go out to the garage and break something!
Something needs to change or this season is going to be hard to swallow.
Soupyzrx
LFC Advanced Member

Postby Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:04 pm

I think there's a little bit of an over reaction to this mornings result to be honest.

I agree with the criticism of the defending and the worry about the manner of the goals conceded in pre season.
However we have still not seen a think of Lovren and are likely bringing in 2 new full backs.
There is nothing to say they will definitely improve us but at least Rodgers appears to agree that the numbers of goals we are conceding is not acceptable.

Also of the new signings most have hardly featured.
We havent seen Lallana or Lovren at all and Markovic has played 45 minutes so far.

The manager has stated that he is looking at another couple of new signings.
If one is a striker of any kind of calibre then we may be ok.

I wouldnt be writing us off after that game, especially when we did not have Sturridge playing.
Sabre looks like a big lezzer
Ben Patrick

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:34 pm

Ben Patrick » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:04 pm wrote:I think there's a little bit of an over reaction to this mornings result to be honest.

I agree with the criticism of the defending and the worry about the manner of the goals conceded in pre season.
However we have still not seen a think of Lovren and are likely bringing in 2 new full backs.
There is nothing to say they will definitely improve us but at least Rodgers appears to agree that the numbers of goals we are conceding is not acceptable.

Also of the new signings most have hardly featured.
We havent seen Lallana or Lovren at all and Markovic has played 45 minutes so far.

The manager has stated that he is looking at another couple of new signings.
If one is a striker of any kind of calibre then we may be ok.

I wouldnt be writing us off after that game, especially when we did not have Sturridge playing.

I agree Ben ,the first half we tore their defence apart with Sterling's pace and Henderson's energy ,and with a goal threat like Sturridge would have reaped the rewards
Coutinho alone danced through Jones and co ,but was guilty of not releasing the ball when opportunities to make that killer pass arose. I think we totally exposed Van
Gaals set up and if we had not become complacent and realised the threat United still proposed with Rooney and Mata on the counter we could have won this game comfortably ....But as we all know Johnsons jaunts up field  leaves the CB's covering the ground  he vacates and its a thankless task covering for such a hapless
defender.... I personally cant believe he was afforded 90 minutes ,one of the most satisfying things against Olympiakos was watching our defence retaining a strong line
and staying rigid ,so his inclusion was a complete head scratcher for me.
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby damjan193 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:09 pm

kazza » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:01 am wrote:

He just recovered from a long term injury and they have been playing a lot of games with two a day training sessions in between.

I don't know mate, so has Kelly but he still played the full 90 and played almost all of our previous games. Hope you're right but I'm not so sure.
damjan193
LFC Super Member

Postby Bill Shankly Rules » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:19 am

This early in the season, with new signings like llalana + balotelli, and others not available, id take a draw.

Id be surprised if we come away with three points with only Lambert and Sterling, Coutinho up front.

Plus if we play a Midfield of Hendo Gerrard and Lucas, we may get over run.

Stranger things have happened though.
Bill Shankly Rules
LFC Basic Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games