Manchester united v LIVERPOOL

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby redno7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:56 pm

devaney » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:07 pm wrote:
redno7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm wrote:Over reacting bunch of toss pots . Get a grip you puffs

Did I say I loved the first half? no. So your the toss pot mate. 

Hey mate if you were happy with that first half performance then I think it is you that rightfully deserves the "TOSS POT" of the week award !!  :laugh:
redno7
LFC Super Member

Postby red till i die!! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:38 pm

disapointed as we could have taken them if we got it right from the start.
4-3-3 was a bad starting formation as it played right into their hands. all the had to do was push evra and rafael up and that in turn isolated suarez and killed off any threat we posed.we are way too obvious.
sterling was woeful along with allen,lucas and downing who simply refuses to challenge for a ball.
sturridge changed the game when he came on and we started to play with a bit of belief and his goal was the first shot we had on target. he could have won it for us in the end had he have been a bit more composed. he should have started and it was a mistake by rodgers leaving him on the bench.
we had nothing to lose going into that and im gutted rodgers didnt show a bit of intent and started a stronger team and that was the difference between us controlling the game or chasing it.
red till i die!!
LFC Super Member

Postby Homebooby » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:51 pm

A game of 2 halves to quote the classics :)

I think this was pretty much what everyone probably expected and is representative of everything that we have seen this season. Often questionable first halves coupled with a savvy 2nd half change and stronger performance. It's amazing what a striker will do for you, looking hungry and sniffing around for scraps....can't remember when we last had that.

Wisdom did well and credit to him there, would agree with most that we just look lost in the midfield space in terms of speed and creativity and I don't think any of the squad we have are the answer. As many have said, an Alonso type player would make the world of difference to us at the moment and whilst we wouldn't be a class team, we'd definitely be up in the CL spots.

I think we started the way we did because Utd expected us to attack and play and they had a go at us instead. I think that is what lead to the caution, but the 2nd half proved more than anything that you can be too tight and sometimes more space is better. I think Allen and Lucas together raises questions as they seem to detract from each other and it needs to be one or the other.

This shape also seems to impact Gerrard as well as there's flashes of genius there, but it is as if he can't find the way to slot in. am convinced that an Alonso style player would help him massively too.

Agree about the comments about Sterling to an extent. I don't think that anything has drastically changed in him, I think the first few games he had the surprise factor and now teams have figured out how to contain him. Same as Suarez today, 3 men on him at almost all times because there was noone stripping them away. Sturridge helped that and I think that it will help Sterling too. Depth is one thing in a squad and we're definitely thin in terms of quality, but a good buy in the playmaker role would definitely make for a fun end to the season.
Homebooby

Postby Homebooby » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:54 pm

red till i die!! » Sun Jan 13, 2013 6:38 pm wrote:disapointed as we could have taken them if we got it right from the start.
4-3-3 was a bad starting formation as it played right into their hands. all the had to do was push evra and rafael up and that in turn isolated suarez and killed off any threat we posed.we are way too obvious.
sterling was woeful along with allen,lucas and downing who simply refuses to challenge for a ball.
sturridge changed the game when he came on and we started to play with a bit of belief and his goal was the first shot we had on target. he could have won it for us in the end had he have been a bit more composed. he should have started and it was a mistake by rodgers leaving him on the bench.
we had nothing to lose going into that and im gutted rodgers didnt show a bit of intent and started a stronger team and that was the difference between us controlling the game or chasing it.

I can agree with most of what you're saying and other on here, but I would highlight the positive that he did at least play Sturridge alongside Suarez and not one or the other. I think a lot of people were afraid that wouldn't happen and it proved today that it can work and we have a little more bite then as well.

It was a shame that he snatched at the extra chances he had today, but he seems to at least have a nose for goal and a poachers instinct of sorts. Only time will tell, but we've seen those sort of 1/2 chances go begging for a long while and it was great to see it going in the back of the net. There were more than a few times when a ball went into the box and he was there looking for it....again, something we have been missing for a long while.
Homebooby

Postby Fowler_E7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:49 pm

Joe Allen and Lucas Leiva should never, ever, ever,ever be in the same starting 11 again, they could have played for 270 minutes and wouldn't have created a goalscoring chance. You play one or the other its as simple as that, there exactly the same player, there busy and get stuck in but don't ever expect anything to happen going forward with them two in the side together. What is Rodgers playing at putting Joe Allen in any sort of advanced role? he seriously has a hard on for the guy but he needs dropping asap as he contributes nothing going forward and Lucas is a better player IMO and why isn't Assaidi being used when Sterling clearly has run out of gas, Downing is toilet and Suso dosnt look like a wide player to me.

Today we were appalling in the first half and looked to be on route to a comfortable defeat, but the introduction of Sturridge changed the game completely, his link up play was impressive, his direct running gave the Man Utd defense problems and he gave the team another sorely needed attacking option. Gerrard and Suarez looked relieved to have another player with some ability in front of them and the difference in quality showed as soon as he came on, we ended being unlucky coming away empty handed in the end, lets hope Sturridge is paired with Suarez to see if they can forge a partnership together and maybe get something positive out of this season.
Fowler_E7
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:56 pm

There are glimmers of hope but also major aspects of the game and players that need replacing. Downing still provided nothing, Wisdom needs another 18 months and we still need a third CB at least 'as good' as Martin/Agger to share the load. Having seen the SS potential we need to reappraise the midfield: Lucas, Allen, Gerrard and Hendo for example and ask who is going to be their provider. Do we have the right set up there to feed the Alonso/Gerrard style balls of the past? Personally I think Hendo plays with his head down and whilst looks busy is not going to be the man to set the SS relationship alight.

I would not be surprised if in 12 months we have upto 4 new faces in the line up,

Thats said, the 2H has a delight to see and if Sturridge wasn't so rusty he could have buried Ure, lets face it, they were nowt special.

As for Mourinho in the stands, the bigger challenge for him would be LFC not the dirty Mancs.
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Reg » Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:23 pm

A damning but true report in the Independant:

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/foot ... 49649.html
Reg
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby laza » Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:56 am

Pretty disappointed in cold light of day with that game

Pleasing fightback in second half only highlights rather weak performance in the first.

Surprised that Sturridge didnt started especially when you constrast some BR's gutsy decisions when we were a man down to them at Anfield earlier in the season

We really didnt have anything to lose at OT so we should had a go at them from the start
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby LFC2007 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:41 am

lakes10 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:09 pm wrote:i am still worried about Lucas, he was ok blocking but very poor heling in attack.

Anyone understand this? ???
LFC2007

Postby laza » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:27 am

LFC2007 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:41 am wrote:
lakes10 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:09 pm wrote:i am still worried about Lucas, he was ok blocking but very poor heling in attack.

Anyone understand this? ???

No and I blame Twitter
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RedHands » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:46 am

Conclusions on the game:

We were incompetent in the first half. We were completely overrun in the midfield. Lucas in particular played like utter *****. Joe Allen wasn't much better. I agree with the posters above that these two should never, ever start since they are too similar. We also were getting physically bullied by united. It looked like we were a half step slow to every ball.

Second half was much better. I thought there were encouraging signs from Sturridge and he also got a goal on his prem league debut. Gerrard (MOTM for me) was absolutely superb. I think he plays much better in a 4-4-2 and i hope that we continue to experiment with Suarez and Sturridge up top.

Wisdom looked at fault for the first goal by being too slow out to stop/marginally disrupt the low cross in. And on the second it looked like no one was marking Evra. You can see that Sterling was initially marking him and then he drops off and doesn't follow him for some reason.

I don't agree with the above posters that Downing was awful. i thought he was better than Sterling. He rarely gave the ball away and put in two intelligent crosses. He also defends very well.

Does anyone else think we could do with another fullback? Glen Johnson is a much better right back than he is left back and Wisdom is not good enough right now to start. We could have really used Enrique today.
RedHands
LFC Basic Member

Postby woof woof ! » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:23 am

RedHands » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 am wrote:
I don't agree with the above posters that Downing was awful. i thought he was better than Sterling. He rarely gave the ball away and put in two intelligent crosses. He also defends very well.

You're kidding me or I must have been watching a different game, "rarely gave the ball away" at least three times under very little pressure he "passed" directly to a Man U player and time and again the rest of his "passes" were easily read and cut out. Defensively I don't remember him ever putting in a tackle but did notice how his pace slowed in the last two or three yards whenever he and a Manc player went after a 50/50 ball.

I've said before he's not without skill but he's got milk in his veins and sh'ite for brains, Fu*king beyond me how the manger continues to pick him !

woof woof !
Forum Moderator

Postby Boocity » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:56 am

RedHands » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 am wrote:.

Wisdom looked at fault for the first goal by being too slow out to stop/marginally disrupt the low cross in. And on the second it looked like no one was marking Evra. You can see that Sterling was initially marking him and then he drops off and doesn't follow him for some reason.

Does anyone else think we could do with another fullback? Glen Johnson is a much better right back than he is left back and Wisdom is not good enough right now to start. We could have really used Enrique today.

I tend to agree with you, I thought Wisdom was at fault for the first goal, Evra had so much time and space to put that cross in and Wisdom was too narrow and slow to close him down, Enrique absence is a big loss for us.
Boocity
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Kenny Kan » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:02 am

Boocity » Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:56 am wrote:
RedHands » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:46 am wrote:.

I tend to agree with you, I thought Wisdom was at fault for the first goal, Evra had so much time and space to put that cross in and Wisdom was too narrow and slow to close him down, Enrique absence is a big loss for us.

Me three. Couldn't believe how Wisdom didn't close him down. I think that was his only mistake of the game but a costly one.
Champions of England 2020.

YNWA
Kenny Kan
LFC Super Member

Postby devaney » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:13 am

redno7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:56 pm wrote:
devaney » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:07 pm wrote:
redno7 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm wrote:Over reacting bunch of toss pots . Get a grip you puffs

Did I say I loved the first half? no. So your the toss pot mate. 

Hey mate if you were happy with that first half performance then I think it is you that rightfully deserves the "TOSS POT" of the week award !!  :laugh:

Don't be such a fkg retard. The game was lost in the first half and to be honest we were very lucky not to be 3-0 down at half time.The first half tactics were awful. The starting team selection was woeful. If you think people are over reacting just explain to me what Joe Allen was doing in that game after his recent pathetic performances. Raheem should not have started and looked very nervous. We did not have one attempt in the first half and you think fans are over reacting.
Net Spend Over The Last 5 Years (10 years
are in brackets)
LFC £255m (£467m)
Everton £38m (£287m)
Arsenal £645m6 (£925m)
Spurs £510m (£541m)
Chelsea £788m (£1007m)
Man City £307m (£1012m)
Man United £702m (£1249m)
devaney
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext