Liverpool vs manchester united - Fa cup

Liverpool Football Club - Games

Postby lakes10 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:40 pm

just a side note here, ITV need to grow up, not sure if many of you know this but as they had the live tv feeds for todays game it was down to them to feed it into all the boxes for stuff like the radio,
at both games today that were live on tv, itv and espn.

do you know what they did.....they did not put any feed into bbc radios 5 lives box. it was to get there own back to something that happend at the world cup over and interview.

ITV have said it was not down to them to sort out, i also hear that ITV were unhappy that the bbc were going to interview Kenny before they had a chance to show there interview due to them showing the draw for the fa cup.

itv were also said to be unhappy by some words that have been said by the bcc over the last few days about ITV missing live goals.
lakes10
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Number 9 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:10 pm

Result and cheating b@stards,being robbed etc aside.....We should really take a lot of heart out of our performance today!I have no doubt that if they had not been given a giftwrapped pen and Stevie stayed on we would at least got a draw,more likely have won!

Fair play to the lads today.....they gave their all and even with 10 men we could have nicked a draw at times!For me the true measure of how we are gonna be playing will be seen over our next 2 or 3 league games.Lets be honest we have lifted our game all season against the bigger teams(mostly)..we done well today.......I take some heart in that but we will see soon enough if it was just a flash in the pan!!
Number 9
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Scottbot » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:21 pm

We never really had much of a chance in the match given the two key decisions that went against us. The penalty was a joke decision particularly given that the lino did not flag for it, there should have been some consultation. I thought we responed quite well to going a goal down though until the sending off. Gerrard should have known better in my eyes, he's been sent off in enough big games over the years but seemed to have grown out of the reckless stuff. Having said that, it seems funny that Webb doesn't send off a player who commits a chest high karate kick in a World Cup final but was happy to do so today. Both feet were off the ground but the he made contact with the ball and he caught Carrick on the foot so a yellow would seem to have been ample punishment. What makes it worse is i'm guessing Stevie will be missing for the next 3 games now?

Other thoughts on the game were;

- Agreee wholeheartadly with Haysey and others that Kelly was MOM, how the fook did the champers end up with that c**t berbatov? Unbelievable. This young lad has got a bright future and i agree he should be starting at RB. I'd be happy to see Jonno given a run at RM, we've been saying it for ages now.

- Mereilles had a shocker today, his passing was all over the show and he must have pussied out of at least three tackles.

- Aurelio was excellent at Left-Back. Fingers crossed he stays fit coz we need him.

- How good was it to see us make TWO SUBS AT THE SAME TIME!?!?!?!?!? Me and my mates clapped out loud for a full minute! Rafa never did it, neither did Hodgson and it drove me nuts!

- Torres was terrible and at times half-hearted. If Roy had of taken him off i'm sure we'd all have been baying for blood but it was good to see Kenny isn't worried about upsetting any egos in the squad.

- A lot of blood, guts and spirit in the performance as a whole, we could have got smashed given the sending off but it didn't happen. Very dissapoining to be out the cup, particularly given we would have been playing down the road from me in Southampton if we'd got through.

- Absolutely brill to see Kenny cracking jokes in the press conference after the game! So happy to have ya back Kenny lad!!!!!
-
Scottbot
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby roberto green » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:32 pm

Emerald Red wrote:Image

Says it all, really.

Haha I think I'll have this for my facebook profile

:D
roberto green

Postby Bermenstein » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:31 pm

Absolutley chuffed Kenny is back in the dugout.
We were robbed from the word Go, with the pen.
I suppose 8 out of 10 times Gerrard would get a Red card for that tackkle, so no real surprise there.

I know it sounds a bit defeatest, but at least we only lost 1-0, and I was happy enough with the performance considering we were playing against the ref also.

I liked that Kuyt was given more of a free role to support Torres, and If Kenny pairs the 2 up front for a few games, i think they will click.

Agger was given more of a licence to play more like a sweeper, as he made a few nice runs from Def into Mid-field.

All in all it is hard to judge the performance with a handicap of a goal & a man down for the majority of the game.

And Kenny's pre match & post match interviews were spot on and with humour. I hope he is given a chance to bring in a new wave of players just like he did back in the day with the likes of Barnes, Beardsley, Houghton & Aldridge. I hope the owners support him & D Camolli immediatly.
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby mkingdom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:32 pm

I don't think I've ever felt better about a defeat.

With a gift in the first minute, and then just to make sure a dubious red within half an hour, the odds were against us.

There were some really pleasing signs though

1.  Kenny's whole demeanour.  Relaxed, confident and in charge.

2.  Effort.  Much more deisre from every player.

3.  Decisive subs made at the right time, and great to see Shelvey used and not look out of place. 

4.  Kelly.  Outstanding, again.  England's best RB?

5.  Aurelio.  Such a relief to see him play and look class.  Unlucky not to score from that free kick.

6.  Agger looked class too.

Generally, we looked better on the ball, more determined to win it back, and overall just a happier team.

The game was ruined by those two dodgy decisions so it was hard to judge the team and Kenny properly, so it will be good to see what happens at Blackpool and of course vs Everton.

Others have said it, but I feel so relaxed with Kenny in charge, it just feels right.

I'm looking forward to the week ahead to see his press conferences, his backroom staff appointed, training, games and hopefully who he is going to sign.

It feels odd to say it after losing, but FOOTBALL IS BACK!!!   :eyebrow
mkingdom

Postby Bermenstein » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:37 pm

mkingdom wrote:.....Others have said it, but I feel so relaxed with Kenny in charge, it just feels right.

Agree.

An older & wiser Kenny Dalglish is just what our club needs
Bermenstein
LFC Super Member

Postby kunilson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:52 pm

alot more grit in our performance today....

was never a penalty, but can see why it was a red card...

thought we played decent stuff at times

now thats outta the way. we can really start to move forward...
kunilson
LFC Super Member

Postby laza » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:29 pm

Managers come and go but some things never change like getting robbed at OT

Gutted at result but elated that pride has returned
Forever Red in this life and the next
laza
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby Dalglish » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:18 pm

There are few times when the result is secondary..............today was one of those times. Whilst many thought we might turn the Mancs over it wasn't to be after yet another "gimme" penalty at Castle Grey-skull ! ??? 

What was more important than the result today was the manner and methodology in which Kenny Dalglish demonstrated and he didn't disappoint. From the outset you just knew he was comfortable and assured in the role and that must have got through to the players who, to a man gave it a huge effort. That effort has been missing for too long with some woeful performances but today they put a shift in and couldnt be faulted for effort.

Kelly was wonderful today and possibly our best player and Aurelio gave our back line a much more solid feel. Agger and Carragher are probably first choice but Skirtel did OK today.

The Midfield worked tirelessly and no one gave less than 100% which is ultimately what Fans demand and expect. Torres suffered from a lack of decent ball and therefore its difficult to judge whether he is over his recent dip in form or as some have suspected in the recent games simply not arsed ! I find that difficult to believe so will reserve judgment.

Walk on .............
Dalglish
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby RED BEERGOGGLES » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:33 pm

Dalglish wrote:There are few times when the result is secondary..............today was one of those times. Whilst many thought we might turn the Mancs over it wasn't to be after yet another "gimme" penalty at Castle Grey-skull ! ??? 

What was more important than the result today was the manner and methodology in which Kenny Dalglish demonstrated and he didn't disappoint. From the outset you just knew he was comfortable and assured in the role and that must have got through to the players who, to a man gave it a huge effort. That effort has been missing for too long with some woeful performances but today they put a shift in and couldnt be faulted for effort.

Kelly was wonderful today and possibly our best player and Aurelio gave our back line a much more solid feel. Agger and Carragher are probably first choice but Skirtel did OK today.

The Midfield worked tirelessly and no one gave less than 100% which is ultimately what Fans demand and expect. Torres suffered from a lack of decent ball and therefore its difficult to judge whether he is over his recent dip in form or as some have suspected in the recent games simply not arsed ! I find that difficult to believe so will reserve judgment.

Walk on .............

Good post mate
RED BEERGOGGLES
>> LFC Elite Member <<

Postby eds » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:47 pm

Gerrard's tackle warranted a red, should not have gone in so late and with two feet.

But the penalty was a farce, an Olmpic diver would have been proud of the Bulgarian drama queen's effort. :angry:
"LIVERPOOL: 6 European Cups, 19 Domestic Titles, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 9 League Cups and 4 European Super Cups and 1 Club World Championship

All other English clubs pale into insignificance!"
eds

Postby Greavesie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 am

well, today we lost but I've still been smiling all day. Today was one of the greatest victories in defeat for me. The fans were absolutely outstanding today, outsang the Mancs pretty much from begginning to end, I was screaming Fields of Anfield room in my living room, parents were well p!ssed off :D The players seemed a lot more committed as well which was great to see, there's a few stepped up as well. I thought Skrtel looked a lot better today and seemed confident in the air. Kelly was a big plus today and Babel was running around today as well lol

With regards to the two key decisions in the game. It's never a pen in a million and I don't think anyone on here will even begin to argue my opinion on that one but with regards to the red card I think the ref got that wrong as well. I just think the challenge isn't as bad to warrant a red, my reasons have been already discussed by various people so I'm not going to go into any detail on the matter. With Gerrard on the pitch I reckon we'd have done them, save that for Anfield later in the season I guess!

I was only a bairn when Kenny was in charge the first time around and this is like experiencing that old slice of Liverpool history and I'm loving it. I always appreciated what the old school did and never tire of hearing stories about the good old days. Even the begginning of the coverage today when they showed Shanks and were talking about us back in the day, I was loving it.

Like I said I don't know why because I never got the chance to experience KK as our manager, but this just feels right, I'm excited about where this will take us but I know we're in safe hands. The supporters all seem united again as well

YNWA :)
All round the fields of Anfield Road
Where once we watched the King Kenny play (and could he play!)
Stevie Heighway on the wing
We had dreams and songs to sing
'Bout the glory, round the Fields of Anfield Road

JFT 96 - Gone but never forgotten
YNWA 15/4/1989
God Bless You All
Greavesie

Postby Homebooby » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:21 am

Greavesie wrote:I was only a bairn when Kenny was in charge the first time around and this is like experiencing that old slice of Liverpool history and I'm loving it. I always appreciated what the old school did and never tire of hearing stories about the good old days. Even the begginning of the coverage today when they showed Shanks and were talking about us back in the day, I was loving it.

This was the only thing I wanted to say about the day yesterday and what I think a lot of people have been alluding to for the last few weeks/months when calling for Kenny to come back. Yesterday was magical and for the first time in almost 20 years I felt like I was watching the Liverpool that I fell in love with. Judging by all the posters on here, we all felt the same way and the light at the end of the tunnel never looked brighter. For all those who doubt or doubted that Kenny could hack it in todays world, hopefully you'll understand that most weren't worried about the tangible side of managing the team, it was the intangible that everyone was looking for, for it was the intangible that separated us from the rest of the world....This is Anfield, This is Liverpool FC.

If the non-performers can't or won't get inspired by that from now to the end of the season, they can feck off cos this train is only going one way now and that is up.
Homebooby

Postby only me » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 pm

RED BEERGOGGLES wrote:
Dalglish wrote:There are few times when the result is secondary..............today was one of those times. Whilst many thought we might turn the Mancs over it wasn't to be after yet another "gimme" penalty at Castle Grey-skull ! ??? 

Walk on .............

Good post mate

Let's not get carried away with Kenny tactic or impact on the play. Yes attitude was much better but at this stage tactics nor player selection changes much.

Kelly played because Johnson was unavailable ,We again played with 1 lone striker ,Skertel still holds the primary CB position and Kuyt ever hardworking talentless still is first choice winger. Can't say that this is our optimal starting eleven or tactics.
only me
LFC Super Member

PreviousNext

Return to Liverpool FC - Games